Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

I tried to make blueberry and orange jam but it just didn't set at all. Only thing I can think is that I boiled it too hot, is that a thing? Instead of small bubbles and scum I got big bubbles. I jarred it anyway and stuck it in the fridge, but i'm not holding out much hope. Has anyone had much success reboiling jam with liquid pectin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

No that's not a thing. You want a full rolling boil. I have not reboiled with pectin though I believe people do it. I'd just use it as an ice cream/yogurt topping or for smoothies etc. Next time, test how well your jam is setting by putting a bit on a cold plate and seeing if it congeals.

Thanks for this. I guess I need to invest in a thermometer or at least try the cold plate/spoon method. Thankfully it does make a really nice pancake topping.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Pro-tier suggestion here for softer set than you wanted jams. I like to use failed jam to make sauces for meat in the slow cooker.

I have never done anything like this before but I am super tempted right now :D does it have to be a slow cooker or could you do it in the oven, maybe in a roasting tin?

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

I sear my meat first and cover it about halfway in a stock pot with my braising liquid. Set it on low and let it go for like 6 hours.

Thanks! I'm pretty new to cooking at a non basic level, this seems like a fun thing to do for sunday lunch.