Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just a little salal update. Apparently it seems canning isn't really the preferred method of preservation. Looks like it's fruit-leatherfication. Will share some picks of the juicy berries later today but alas this ma not be the thread for this new endeavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Arkhamina posted:

Googled Salal berry jam and got: Recipe - caveat, never heard of these before!

Give it a wack and post pictures!

Okay so I had a bunch of salal goo leftover after running it through the food mill so I decided to try this recipe. Just to go into the fridge since it only makes a cup. It's pretty good. If I was going to do it again in the future I'd probably cut the sugar in half. Salal has this extremely sexy fragrance and flavor that seriously just got obliterated by the sugar. On the other hand making giant fruit leathers was pretty awesome but they also lack the sexy flavor. I don't know, maybe gonna have to just eat em' raw.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Maybe consider using gelatin or pectin instead/in addition to the recipe? I have the same problem with my peach jam. I just have to use pectin, honey (and/or molasses), and some ginger otherwise it's just sugar in a jar.

I totally think you're right. Gonna be picking another buttload this Friday for wine making. Might set some aside and refine this recipe some. I'll let you lot know how it turns out.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Wait... Are you just running sealed jars of pickles through the dishwasher?
Is that a thing?

Listen, pally I'm not using a hot water canner when I have a perfectly good dishwasher.

No, this is not a thing

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Captainsalami posted:

Picked up a few sacks of plums for cheap. Any ideas what to add to them as I turn em into a jam? Was thinking a knob of ginger at least

JUNIPER OH GOD JUNIPER!!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Sorry, got a little excited there.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I warn you, you're gonna smell the Juniper and be all like "this little berry smells funky" then you'll mix it with the plum and you'll be all like "THIS LITTLE BERRY TASTES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Arkhamina posted:

Ordered a bunch of things from the Farmer's Market this week - jalapenos were cheap, so I was going to make a batch of pickled ones.

I am admittedly Bad At Pickles. I have given up on cucumbers, screw it, will just buy them. (Too salty, super limp, bitter...ugh.)

For peppers, any tips? Food network had a very straight forward looking recipe. Do people use that powder to keep them crisp? Or is that just a cucumber thing...?

Also got a mess of tomatillos for Salsa Verde and red beets. Those I know I can do well.

We pickle peppers with our green beans and we don't use any pickle-crisp in them, assuming that's what you mean by powder to keep them crisp. But...uh...they aren't really all that crisp when we eat them so....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bees on Wheat posted:

If you're planning to do cheese boards, might I recommend candied jalapenos? They're sweet and spicy, and go great with soft(ish) cheeses. My favorite way to have them is with havarti and crackers. The leftover syrup is good for marinating chicken, too. :getin:

They're so drat good. We serve em' up on crackers with chevre.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody ever made jalapeño jelly with pickled jalapeños instead of fresh? Due to the perils of online grocery ordering, I accidentally bought a gigantic jar of pickled jalapeños, more than I would ever go though in five years of normal use, and I've always liked a little jalapeño jelly around Christmastime. But every recipe calls for fresh. If I try subbing pickled for fresh, will the whole thing come out too bitter?

It would certainly be...uh....salty....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

neogeo0823 posted:

Last year, I discovered a farm near me that sells unpasteurized apple cider. Compared to the stuff sold at most grocery stores, it's utterly divine. Seriously, if you've never had the stuff, and you're able to try it, go try it. The taste is completely different. Anyway, the question I have is, is there any way at all to make cider jelly without boiling, and thus pasteurizing, the cider? The jelly would be used pretty much immediately, certainly within a week or two. I'm mostly just curious if it's at all possible.

Well to get to the needed consistency you'd pretty much have to boil. The only other way I could think to do it would be by adding a raw starch of some kind but that would be majorly gross. Like, wretchingly gross.

Sitting here typing though I just thought of something, what about gelatin?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

neogeo0823 posted:

So, what, like making apple cider jello? Not exactly the consistency I was thinking of, but maybe that'd work, yeah. In a perfect world, I'd like to have something a bit more spreadable, almost like apple butter.

Well it wouldn't have to be jello exactly. Like, I'm pretty sure pannacotta uses gelatin and it could potentially be spread on something. But honestly this goon:

ickna posted:

xanthan gum will get you about halfway there, but getting any significant thickening out of it gives a snot like consistency in your finished product. I have had a lot of success thickening my no-cook hot sauces using a combo of xanthan gum to help thicken and keep particles in suspension, and maltodextrin to add body. I strongly recommend messing with the two using water to get a feel for the proportions and quantities needed; a little bit of xanthan goes a long way. it's also very hygroscopic and will clump if you add too much too fast to the liquid and try to stir it in. there is no recovering from it at that point, even with a blender you will have lumps of xanthan.

For a starting point, I typically use ~ 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum and 2-3 tbsp maltodextrin when making a 2 quart batch of sauce. mix the xanthan and maltodextrin powders and add them slowly to the liquid with a stick blender, or alternatively add the liquid very slowly to the powder while whisking to build a paste and then continue adding liquid until you get the thickness you are looking for.

I have a 1 lb bag of xanthan gum and a 5 lb bag of maltodextrin because this works so well. I blend a lot of my fermented goodies to make sauces, glacés and my own recipe for mac n cheese using dehydrated cheese powder. super useful stuff.

Seems like they know what the hell they are talking about.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Do not can a recipe that is not explicitly designed for canning.

This but it's a giant flashing sign and there's a topless review in which show girls sing this line repeatedly.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

:shepicide:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

City of Glompton posted:

yummy watcha got there?

That's tomato sauce, whole tomatoes, apple sauce, apple preserves, apple butter and, in those white bins on the left, dried apple.

That table represents 90# of produce.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

City of Glompton posted:

anyone have a preferred use for green cherry tomatoes?

i have a bunch and i'm trying to decide between fermenting them, canning them, or turning them into relish but would love any other suggestions

We grow cherry tomatoes every year and relish up any green ones left over and it works out great. If you'd like I can shoot you over the recipe we use.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

City of Glompton posted:

that would be awesome, please and thank you

:hai:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

City of Glompton posted:

processing this today and we just tasted a bit, it's delicious. thanks for the recommendation!

Heck yeah, goon! I know it doesn't get through a lot of volume but when grill season comes back around you'll wonder how you ever had a hot doggy or hamburger without it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Is there any reason not to post the recipe here?

It's made of drugs. Good ones.

Not really, just don't tell Ball I'm handing out their recipes:

Excuse the sideways-ness.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Arkhamina posted:

That sounds really interesting. I was reading in a Russian cookbook how to make lacto fermented apples, and it seems pretty neat. I just lack confidence. Tell us how it goes! (Pictures?)

I will say that I've had apples pickled in white wine vinegar and it was the greatest sandwich topping I have ever had. So you should probably totally do it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I can say that, at the very least, hotdog smell is not a typical smell associated with spoilage :shrug:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

City of Glompton posted:

that's a good idea. i've been trying to figure out what i should grow to can this year, too. i don't have a pressure canner though so i'm a little more limited. canning tomatoes would be awesome...

the one thing we all loved was tiny pickles, so i guess i'm going to plant a lot of cukes and pick em when they're small

haven't heard of icarus, do you have hit the bong before you get the bright idea to make a sandwich?

If you like pickly things I cannot suggest green beans enough. Super productive, easy as f to grow, and are stinking delicious when they're pickled. Also great as part of the topping for a Bloody Mary.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just throwing out there that the USDA no longer recommends hot water canning for raw pack tomatoes. As of two years ago. We still do once in a while but it seems like it's time to phase that particular pantry item out.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

effika posted:

Yeah last fall I literally screamed at a jar of cranberries before finding the right trap/weight combo to keep them down.

And they ferment fine in a salt brine if the skins are broken open so the bacteria can get to the nutrition inside. Not all bacteria hate them!

I just didn't have success with the honey preserved versions I see everywhere.

Have you thought about maybe pasteurizing your crans before you start the fermentation process with the honey?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the best things about living in California is that it's early May and we already have cherries, apricots, and cucumbers available at the farmer's market. This is my first time making cherry jam. Pitting all the cherries was kind of tedious, but otherwise it was very straightforward. I'm unreasonably proud of the fact that I prepared 8 jam jars for canning, and had 8.5 jars' worth of jam.

My cutting board is now stained purple :v:

There is a such tool as a cherry stoner. Most are poo poo but if you're ever interested let me know. I found the only one that works.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

lol, that is literally the exact one I was going to recommend.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Captainsalami posted:

I have a baked bean recipe I make in the oven overnight for 13 hours. Would I be able to can them after they're done or would it go wrong? I have an electric pressure canner.

For any low acid foods you really should follow a recipe specifically for canning. Maybe look for one that is like yours. It's my understanding that aside from salt and acid you can screw around with seasoning some. Maybe try and get one to taste like yours?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

City of Glompton posted:

apple pie jam sounds dangerously delicious.

i just looked up recipes for watermelon jelly, and also came across one for sweet cucumber jelly. i'm intrigued.

has anyone here tried either of those before?

We did watermelon jelly last year and it is one of the single most delicious things we've ever put up. We did ours with lemongrass. Seriously show stopping look and taste.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Joburg posted:

I was looking at that recipe yesterday. Do you wear that on toast? I just couldn’t imagine what I would do with watermelon jelly.

Edit: obviously I meant “eat” that on toast. :classiclol:

Toast and PB&J. Also a dollop on top of some vanilla ice cream won't make you cry or anything.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

City of Glompton posted:

as I'm preparing to process some green tomato relish in these neat thrift store jars, i have a question

how do you all get bubbles out? i have a very hard time with it, esp with thick stuff like this relish

We have like an extremely silly tiny sized scraper to get into little jars. We also usually use straight sided jars....not uh....extremely helpful.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Is there anything I can do with the left overs from making grape juice besides composting? The rest of my stuff in this current batch of canning either doesn't leave any waste, or I already have something to do with it, but for this I have somehow entirely failed to Google the phrase that would give me an answer.

Grappa :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Speaking of apples and spices, I used black pepper in my spice mix for my applesauce this year and just that little bit of spicy heat is loving insanely good. Do recommend.