Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
How would a basil and garlic heavy pizza sauce hold up to boil canning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I use garlic all the time in my pickles and it holds up fine; I see no reason why it should fail in a tomato base. Basil I assume would also be fine; there's certainly plenty of basil tomato sauces at the grocery store.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So does anyone else drink the leftover pickling juice after making pickles? Or is it just me?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yes but only after a shot of whiskey

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yes but I got into fermenting to try to get my gut bacteria back in a good way.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 9, 2020

ickna
May 19, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

Yes but only after a shot of whiskey

:same:

I actually get upset when I pour out excess pickle juice because my pickleback juice bottle is already topped off.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm very new to pickling and was very pleased with some results I got at my first attempt with 2 dozen pickled eggs.

With pickles, do you need to go to the trouble of intense sterilization, or is a trip through the dishwasher usually fine? I've been using my fridge, I haven't had enough jars that I'd need them to be shelf-stable.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Not a Children posted:

I'm very new to pickling and was very pleased with some results I got at my first attempt with 2 dozen pickled eggs.

With pickles, do you need to go to the trouble of intense sterilization, or is a trip through the dishwasher usually fine? I've been using my fridge, I haven't had enough jars that I'd need them to be shelf-stable.

Dishwasher and visual inspection is probably ok. For me personally, I have a spray bottle of StarSan that I hit every jar with, the stuff is cheap and it to me at least, it's worth it to minimize the potential of infection or a spoiled batch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Wait... Are you just running sealed jars of pickles through the dishwasher?
Is that a thing?

Or do you mean just to clean them before boil canning them?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is that a thing?

Listen, pally I'm not using a hot water canner when I have a perfectly good dishwasher.

No, this is not a thing

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is that a thing?

Or do you mean just to clean them before boil canning them?

You mean you don't toss 'em in with your dishes???

Been getting into fermented foods lately. I mean nothing else to do, right? Fermented salsa is kinda weird. Going to make fermented hot sauce next.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's a local company near me that makes pickles with all sorts of local alcohols, mostly beer but some I think use liquors. (http://thetipsypickle.com/)

If I wanted to replicate, say, one of the beer ones, how much beer should I add/replace the water with?

Looking at the ingredient list, the beer is the last ingredient, implying there's actually less of it than even the random spices:

Distilled vinegar, water, cucumbers, garlic, dill,
pickling spices and Alchemist Beer's Heady TopperŪ

So that seems to mean only, like, an ounce or so for a batch? Seems low.

V V V Yeah, definitely have a slight beer-y/hoppy taste to my recollection...it's been a while since I had them last, hard to find in stores, mostly got them from farmers' markets which I've been avoiding this year for obvious reasons... so I'm going to go and try and find them and see if I can reverse engineer the flavor.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 13, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Do their pickles actually taste noticeably different from non-beery pickles? It might be they're putting a smidge of beer in just to make the product stand out and not because it actually alters the taste much.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Picked up a few sacks of plums for cheap. Any ideas what to add to them as I turn em into a jam? Was thinking a knob of ginger at least

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Captainsalami posted:

Picked up a few sacks of plums for cheap. Any ideas what to add to them as I turn em into a jam? Was thinking a knob of ginger at least

JUNIPER OH GOD JUNIPER!!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Sorry, got a little excited there.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Hm. Need to see if I can get that at Kroger. Don't wanna have to drive to jungle jims tomorrow

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I warn you, you're gonna smell the Juniper and be all like "this little berry smells funky" then you'll mix it with the plum and you'll be all like "THIS LITTLE BERRY TASTES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk"

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Arkhamina posted:

Wanted to show off yesterday's efforts. About 7 hours of solo chopping, skinning tomatoes, fire roasting peppers. Quart jars are tomato sauce, the small garlic salsa. Lost one filled quart to the bottom of the jar sheering off. It was a hot jar, hot pack, and on a rack... I was sad, as that stuff was simmered for hours! Still have 25lbs of tomatoes left, need to pick up more onions, and tomorrow will be pressure cooker meat sauce.

omg would love your recipes! All of them!!

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Goons I need some help. Looking for a job sugar added jam recipe for my diabetic mother and friend. Most of the poo poo I find online is keto woo recipes, I just want something simple I can can and mail.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Captainsalami posted:

Goons I need some help. Looking for a job sugar added jam recipe for my diabetic mother and friend. Most of the poo poo I find online is keto woo recipes, I just want something simple I can can and mail.

Assuming you are in the US. Buy some low sugar pectin! The inside of the wrapped has conversions for low and no sugar added jams and jellies.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Whats the recipe then? Just berries and pectin?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Captainsalami posted:

Whats the recipe then? Just berries and pectin?

pretty much yeah.
sometimes lemon juice.

How diabetic are we talking here? Like literally cannot eat a peach without going into shock or just don't add any simple carbs?

e; I recommend maybe trying a sugar free marmalade or berry jam like raspberries or blackberries. Unfortunately you're gonna have to deal with seeds to make a really diabetic safe berry jam because you want to keep as much of the fiber as possible to help slow the metabolism process. Which means no puree and or mash and strain. But that is the safest option.

Also, there is apparently a 'Diabetic Gourmet' that might have better suggestions:
https://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/sauces-and-condiments/diabetic-jam-and-jelly-recipes

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 19, 2020

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Type 1, with a weakness for chocolate.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Captainsalami posted:

Type 1, with a weakness for chocolate.

Not canning related, but if you haven't seen it already, there's a brand of no-sugar-added chocolate called Lily's which is sweetened with stevia.
I haven't tried it personally, but my dad loves it and it's the only candy that's been recommended by a podcaster I listen to who periodically talks about keto foods.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Ordered a bunch of things from the Farmer's Market this week - jalapenos were cheap, so I was going to make a batch of pickled ones.

I am admittedly Bad At Pickles. I have given up on cucumbers, screw it, will just buy them. (Too salty, super limp, bitter...ugh.)

For peppers, any tips? Food network had a very straight forward looking recipe. Do people use that powder to keep them crisp? Or is that just a cucumber thing...?

Also got a mess of tomatillos for Salsa Verde and red beets. Those I know I can do well.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Arkhamina posted:

Ordered a bunch of things from the Farmer's Market this week - jalapenos were cheap, so I was going to make a batch of pickled ones.

I am admittedly Bad At Pickles. I have given up on cucumbers, screw it, will just buy them. (Too salty, super limp, bitter...ugh.)

For peppers, any tips? Food network had a very straight forward looking recipe. Do people use that powder to keep them crisp? Or is that just a cucumber thing...?

Also got a mess of tomatillos for Salsa Verde and red beets. Those I know I can do well.

We pickle peppers with our green beans and we don't use any pickle-crisp in them, assuming that's what you mean by powder to keep them crisp. But...uh...they aren't really all that crisp when we eat them so....

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
They don't have to be crisp, just was really wondering if there is like, a normal thing. They will end up with tacos and as part of cheese boards. So soft is ok.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Arkhamina posted:

They don't have to be crisp, just was really wondering if there is like, a normal thing. They will end up with tacos and as part of cheese boards. So soft is ok.

If you're planning to do cheese boards, might I recommend candied jalapenos? They're sweet and spicy, and go great with soft(ish) cheeses. My favorite way to have them is with havarti and crackers. The leftover syrup is good for marinating chicken, too. :getin:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bees on Wheat posted:

If you're planning to do cheese boards, might I recommend candied jalapenos? They're sweet and spicy, and go great with soft(ish) cheeses. My favorite way to have them is with havarti and crackers. The leftover syrup is good for marinating chicken, too. :getin:

They're so drat good. We serve em' up on crackers with chevre.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Oooh, I will do so!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding candied jalapeno rings. I've also done the Ball pickled jalapeno recipe here (https://www.freshpreserving.com/blog/home-style-pickled-jalapenos) to good effect; the carrots/onions/garlic adds a depth that I really like.

I use the crisp granules but it's definitely a personal preference thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
how many of y'all use alum in your pickle juice?

Also, can you re-use pickle juice to pickle more things?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I made fermented hot sauce with jalepenos. It's too hot to eat (it's for my partner, anyway). He likes it. I made four litres (pint jars). lol I'm going through a lot right now ok.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Pickled onions (British style) go great with things like cheddar

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody ever made jalapeņo jelly with pickled jalapeņos instead of fresh? Due to the perils of online grocery ordering, I accidentally bought a gigantic jar of pickled jalapeņos, more than I would ever go though in five years of normal use, and I've always liked a little jalapeņo jelly around Christmastime. But every recipe calls for fresh. If I try subbing pickled for fresh, will the whole thing come out too bitter?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody ever made jalapeņo jelly with pickled jalapeņos instead of fresh? Due to the perils of online grocery ordering, I accidentally bought a gigantic jar of pickled jalapeņos, more than I would ever go though in five years of normal use, and I've always liked a little jalapeņo jelly around Christmastime. But every recipe calls for fresh. If I try subbing pickled for fresh, will the whole thing come out too bitter?

It would certainly be...uh....salty....

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

Only one way to know for certain. Start with a small test batch?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
MADE SOME SAUCE EXCUSE THE MESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
BTW IF YOU USE CITRIC ACID OR LEMON JUICE IN YOUR PRESSURE CANNED TOMATO SAUCE YOU ARE A SHOOK LIL BABY