Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I've played F/SN but only the first (Fate) route - should I do UBW now to finish "catching up" for F/Z? Also, are there multiple UBW endings?

e: VVV Alright, on it. Holy gently caress, six endings :psypop: I had no idea.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fenrir posted:

I've played F/SN but only the first (Fate) route - should I do UBW now to finish "catching up" for F/Z? Also, are there multiple UBW endings?

Yes you should (HF too) and yes there are. Check the flowchart.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Fenrir posted:

You need to play through UBW, but it's not nearly as important for F/Z as HF is, which is why I've been spoilertagging HF stuff but leaving UBW stuff untagged.

And yeah, there's multiple endings, but the difference is pretty minor compared to HF (which technically has four endings, counting a bad end that doesn't kill Shirou or otherwise torture him, and a bad end that the game itself doesn't consider a bad end later on).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I honestly feel it's doing yourself a disservice to have slogged through the Fate route and not go through the UBW :kamina: and HF :black101: routes.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 30, 2011

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

ChronoReverse posted:

I honestly feel it's doing yourself a disservice to have slogged through the Fate route and not go through the UBW :kamina: and HF :black101: routes.
drat. Guess I've got a lot to do. Please tell me I won't have to fast forward through stupid hentai scenes again at least?

Also, where is this flowchart?

e: VVV Thanks! I never actually noticed that.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 30, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fenrir posted:

The mirror-moon translation patch should automatically place a .pdf in the game directory somewhere.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Fenrir posted:

drat. Guess I've got a lot to do. Please tell me I won't have to fast forward through stupid hentai scenes again at least?

e: VVV Thanks! I never actually noticed that.

Can't you just skip them with the current English patches? If you want a more distilled version, there's the Seorin LP as well.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Don't fast-forward through them, especially in HF. I know it's cool to be repulsed to the point of vomiting your small intestine out by anything with characters getting mad rutty in it but Nasu's prose is beyond loving hilarious and not worth missing out on.

That and if I'm remembering it correctly HF actually throws out plot points in mid-boning at times.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

As long as we don't bring up SHIKI, the worst of the Shiki's.

How many Shikis are there, anyways? Let's see.

SHIKI Tohno - True heir of Tohno family, went insane due to simultaneous possession by vampire and rousing of demonic blood. Total creep except in Kohaku's route and the past.
Shiki Tohno - Protagonist of Tsukihime.
Shiki Nanaya [Protagonist] - Shiki Tohno in "Nanaya mode", an efficient assassin ready to kill his target. Alternatively, the fusion of Shiki Tohno and Shiki Nanaya [Child]
Shiki Nanaya [Child] - The original Shiki Nanaya who was pretty much erased from existence following the incident that drove SHIKI Tohno insane. Pops up in Ciel's Good ending.
Shiki Nanaya [Nightmare] - Shiki Tohno's fear of what he could have become. As a concept he makes no sense, but that's too be expected from a nightmare. Appears in KT.
Shiki Nanaya [Tatari] - Tatari taking the form of Shiki's greatest fear. Only appears in one ending of Melty Blood and immediately gets his rear end kicked.
Shiki Nanaya [White Len] - The embodiment of Shiki Tohno's ever-illogical fear, manifested(?) and supported by White Len. Almost nothing like the actual Nanaya, but the most popular.
Shiki Nanaya [Impostor] - A guy who could view the pasts of people saw Shiki Tohno's and went bug gently caress crazy.
Shiki Ryougi - Protagonist of KnK.
SHIKI Ryougi - Alternate, male personality of Shiki Ryougi. Dead.
Shiki Ryougi [Personality 3] - The emptiness in Shiki Ryougi's head that used to be SHIKI Ryougi. Is pretty much God, but for some reason still low on the power tiers.

Am I missing anyone?

EDIT: gently caress it, I can't resist the urge to Nasu sperge.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 30, 2011

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

quakster posted:

I came into this thread hoping to figure out if this anime adaptation of a light novel prequel to a semi-erotic visual novel was as fun as whatever little I know about it suggested it would be and hoped to see goons confirm my suspicions but instead I got to slog through three pages of DBZ-esque powerlevel chat. :negative:

God damnit, Goons. (PS. Saber would obv. kick everyone else's asses with her hands tied and eyes closed. :colbert:)
Time to bring this out:

ORT > Crimson Moon > Primate Murder > Zelretch > Gilgamesh > Arcueid ≥ Black Sakura > Berserker = Black Saber ≥ Saber > Lancer > Rider = Archer > Caster ≥ Aoko = Nrvnqsr = Kouma = Barthomeloi ≥ Kojirou > Ciel ≥ Great Teacher Hassan (GTH) ≥ "Ryougi Shiki" > V Sion = AC Satsuki = R.Shiki = Bazett ≥ Akiha = Fujino = Araya ≥ Touko = Alba ≥ 18th Roa > > SHIKI = Kiri = Reinforced Kuzuki ≥ Sion = UBW Shirou > ha Avenger > Nanaya = Rin = Kotomine = Zouken = Leysritt > Satsuki ≥ Rio = Avalon Shirou > ha Sakura > Salaryman Dead = Ilya = Corpse ≥ Azaka ≥ Misayo > Kirie = Zombie ≥ Dragon Tooth Warrior ≥ Fuji-nee > Shinji > Fake Shiki

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Power levels don't really mean that much in the Nasuverse, seeing as how drat near everyone has absurdly powerful abilities that lets them ignore the overall power of their enemies.

See: every Nasu protagonist ever.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Shikis everywhere Shiking up this Shikiy thread.

god it's hard enough keeping track of just a few of them, it gets so much more headache inducing when you try to bring in alternate versions and other personalities..... :psyduck:

After Mahoyo Type-Moon should make a game where everyone's name is Shiki obviously.

quote:

Yes you should. Also I wouldn't worry much about the multiple endings if it seems like too much to you, just shoot for the True End of each one. (Except HF where you should also watch the Normal end first so you can appreciate the True End :smith:) You can go back and check out the others later if you really want.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

ORT > Crimson Moon > Primate Murder > Zelretch > Gilgamesh > Arcueid ≥ Black Sakura > Berserker = Black Saber ≥ Saber > Lancer > Rider = Archer > Caster ≥ Aoko = Nrvnqsr = Kouma = Barthomeloi ≥ Kojirou > Ciel ≥ Great Teacher Hassan (GTH) ≥ "Ryougi Shiki" > V Sion = AC Satsuki = R.Shiki = Bazett ≥ Akiha = Fujino = Araya ≥ Touko = Alba ≥ 18th Roa > > SHIKI = Kiri = Reinforced Kuzuki ≥ Sion = UBW Shirou > ha Avenger > Nanaya = Rin = Kotomine = Zouken = Leysritt > Satsuki ≥ Rio = Avalon Shirou > ha Sakura > Salaryman Dead = Ilya = Corpse ≥ Azaka ≥ Misayo > Kirie = Zombie ≥ Dragon Tooth Warrior ≥ Fuji-nee > Shinji > Fake Shiki

I love that the list includes both ORT and Taiga. But I've only just noticed that it lists the Crimson Moon as being stronger than Zelretch!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well, Zelretch is getting older.

Anyways, that list is really just a line to punch Shinji, with Fake Shiki holding him in place.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Can't wait for this to start airing, maybe this thread will have something worthwhile to talk about instead of endless power level discussions and spoilers for things that aren't F/SN

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
am I the only person here who's looking forward to the military/gently caress-ya potential of Kajiura soundtrack for general shooter purpose? :911:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Power levels don't really mean that much in the Nasuverse, seeing as how drat near everyone has absurdly powerful abilities that lets them ignore the overall power of their enemies.

See: every Nasu protagonist ever.
Agreed. There are so many variables that having a power level chart doesn't say much. E.g. Shiki may have that ridiculous ability but if a creature with preternatural speed saw him as a real threat and prioritized his destruction he'd be pretty screwed.

One could always look at this list instead as it is based on objective information:
Leysritt > Misawa Hanei > Aozaki Aoko = Arcueid Brunestud = Rider > Bazett Fraga McRemitz > Dust of Osiris = Inui Ichiko = Sion Eltnam Atlasia > Ciel = Irisviel von Einzbern = Matou Sakura > Himuro Kane > Mitsuzuri Ayako > Caster = Jinan Tokie > Yumizuka Satsuki > Kohaku = Tohsaka Aoi > Tohsaka Rin > Hisui > Caren Ortensia = Hisau Maiya = Saegusa Yukika = Sella > Saber = Seo Akira = Tohno Akiha > Makidera Kaede > Tsukihime Souka > Nanako > Len = White Len > Illyasviel von Einzbern > Arima Miyako

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
So to distract from the powerlevels discussion, here's some overpriced plastic.

It was pretty much inevitable, given how many other versions of Saber they've done before, but I wasn't expecting prototypes to show up before the show even starts airing:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

arhra posted:

So to distract from the powerlevels discussion, here's some overpriced plastic.

It was pretty much inevitable, given how many other versions of Saber they've done before, but I wasn't expecting prototypes to show up before the show even starts airing
Another Fate/Zero Saber figurine came out in 2007

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

Another Fate/Zero Saber figurine came out in 2007

Oh, I know there have been figures of her before - I was speaking specifically about figmas, which compared to scale figures, tend to be more focussed on recent anime/games (ignoring the completely-out-of-left-field ones like Robocop and Michael Jackson, anyway), and generally don't show up until some time after a show has finished airing (they're still steadily working their way through the Bakemonogatari cast, for instance).

I guess with Fate it's a known quantity, so they can be sure of it's success, and they already have the contacts in place to sort the licensing out.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
This is still the greatest Saber figurine ever made.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Is understanding the storyline with that CG dragon a pre-requisite to this show? :trollface:

Seriously though, I've like forgotten all of this, what's the best and quickest way to brush up on the series without spoilers for this season's show?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Outside of playing the VN or reading seorin's LP? Probably the summaries on the wikia:

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Fate_(route)
http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Unlimited_Blade_Works_(route)
http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Heaven%27s_Feel_(route)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Is understanding the storyline with that CG dragon a pre-requisite to this show? :trollface:

Seriously though, I've like forgotten all of this, what's the best and quickest way to brush up on the series without spoilers for this season's show?

Not a prerequisite. It can stand on its own although knowing the FSN storylines fills out the universe.

The Seorin LP's are pretty good and CG dragon free.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Factor_VIII posted:

Time to bring this out:

Pffft Fuji-nee is clearly the most powerful, she's just holding back. The tiger strap on her wooden sword is a seal for its powers.

Young of Jeonju
Mar 20, 2011
If I'm not mistaken,

There is anime of Fate Stay/Night
There is movie of Fate Unlimited Blades Work
They are producing Fate Zero (The past)

So....

Are they planning on making anime of Fate Heaven's Feel I wonder....

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No way Crimson Moon is stronger than Zeltrech, given Zeltrech -killed- him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Guys, perhaps we should consider the possibility that Factor_VIII was not being entirely serious with that particularly list.

Edit: Also, the name is Zelretch.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

-Troika- posted:

No way Crimson Moon is stronger than Zeltrech, given Zeltrech -killed- him.
Saber killed Gil and she's less powerful than him.

Pureauthor posted:

Guys, perhaps we should consider the possibility that Factor_VIII was not being entirely serious with that particularly list.
I didn't make it; I took it from here. That page is interesting as it has a number of comments from Nasu about how some characters would fare against one another. But yes, it is a crapshoot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

To this day I don't get Nasu's comment about Void!Shiki vs. Servants. It's the personification of Akasha itself. It could rewrite reality so that the Servant it's facing no longer exists (or better yet, never existed at all.)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nasu doesn't seem care about powerlevel arguments (not that he should), so he just gives the first answer that comes to his head so far as anyone can tell. Most comments he makes in interviews are like that, so really it is basically up in the air until it's stated in an actual work. That's my take on it anyway.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

Saber killed Gil and she's less powerful than him.

Supposedly Zelretch beat Crimson Moon with a cheapshot but we don't know what that is.

However, Zelretch DID push back the entire physical moon that the Crimson Moon was dropping on Earth. And Zelretch did it with pure force.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Seorin's LPs are worth reading even if you've read the games in my opinion for the discussion and fanart. And they're certainly quicker, if that matters.

Young of Jeonju posted:

Are they planning on making anime of Fate Heaven's Feel I wonder....

I think I remember reading that they were considering it if the UBW film did well. As "they" in this context is DEEN, let's hope someone else does it.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
My take on Nasu powerlevels is that its not so much powerlevels as everyone has a whole bunch of bullshit instant kills and dumb ways to not get instant killed, and whoever lands the first successful instant kill wins. So it has alot to do with who is up against who and how they approach the fight and a bit of luck.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Which is why Nobilis is clearly the best system for a F/SN roleplaying game.
:goonsay:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The one thing we're all missing from that link is that clearly Neko-Arc is the strongest.

Nasunerve powerlevel discussions are funnier than DBZ powerlevel discussions and I think Nasu knows this and enjoys trolling fans with those interviews. Long may they reign.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The thing is, you can basically argue endlessly about Nasuverse power levels, because with some exceptions like Kiritsugu, Taiga, Hisui/Kohaku, and Fate Shirou, everyone's on more or less an even scale with that scale being "absurdly loving broken."

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Nasu has said before that a battle between magi is more like a battle of concepts than a battle of power. It's less about brute strength and more about who tweak or break the laws of the world more. That's why you have characters like Ciel, which rank pretty highly on the powerlevel chart, and is no doubt faster and stronger than someone like Ryougi Shiki or Bazett, but would still likely lose to them in a fight because of their unique conceptual abilities. Bazett herself is quite capable of beating Saber however at the same time would likely lose to any of the Shikis who don't really posess any form of desperation attack to trigger Fragarach.

This is kinda what we mean when we say the powerlevel chart is meaningless. It's an accurate-ish layout of how "strong" characters are in comparison to each other, but since that strength isn't what decides battles in nasuverse it's not very meaningful.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Actually, Nasu has stated that the Bazett of H/A would lose to Ciel (presumably Ciel is good enough that she'd never need to activate an ultimate move that would trigger Fragarach), but that after Bazett truly masters Fragarach it would turn into a 'good match'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
We interrupt this incredibly spergy discussion to remind you that the first episode of Fate/Zero will be available in less than two hours.

And I can't watch it as soon as it comes out because I have a dentist appointment. :argh:

• Locked thread