Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sindai posted:

Wow who is that dude in that firs- :stare: welp that owns.
King Arthur, in a suit, looking sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Fenrir posted:

With how that first episode went, I can't wait to see what's coming next. A Holy Grail war without high school bullshit, etc... I can't loving wait :allears:
Well except that one kid who apparently ditched magician school to join in on the festivities.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Waver isn't so bad. His servant more than makes up for any of his shortcomings and their interactions provide some much needed levity.

He just seems like a generic shounen protagonist. Which means he is not at all ready for the clusterfuck that is about to go down.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

Not really. His abilities aren't as good; Gil is much more powerful than any other Servant. His ability to interfere with destiny (maxed out Luck rating) would be a pretty huge advantage, which Archer lacks. And yes, Gil has a ton of crazy stuff in GoB such as ancient nuclear weapons.

Isn't this a spoiler?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Got to say the greatest assassin ever getting caught in the open like that. It's a bit of a disappointment. Don't really have anything else to say about this ep that hasn't already been mentioned.

But I do have a question related to F/SN. Near the end of the first route Saber was questioning the choice that she made, wasn't she? So I am wondering how that works out with the conversation in this episode.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

Let's just say that she hasn't started to question her choice yet.
Thanks for answering that. I was just wondering if this was a thing and the anime would get around to it or I missed something.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Except the thing is pretty much everyone has aces up their sleeves that can flip the situation around at any moment. It's just that no one wants to use them yet because it's just the start of the festivities.

I mean where would the entertainment be if some one pulled out their ultimate attack of certain infinite unstoppable cataclysmic destruction of armageddon like proportions right at the start.

Edit: Well except for Gilgamesh I guess. His time is too valuable to play around with random nobodies.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 23, 2011

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Did the wound that can't be healed thing come up in F/S? I assume it did. I am just asking because as interesting as it would be to see Saber spend the rest of the war with a useless left hand. But I assume that Excalibur's sheath would take care of it?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

McDragon posted:

I think it would work better if it doesn't show what Creep Squad does. Just say, "hey, they like killing people, and they're psychos, whatever their methods of killing are get them covered in blood" and let imagination do the rest.

Only because the show is really tame. Reading the translation of that scene in the book actually made me hate the duo way more than anything in the anime.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zandracon posted:

Oh, huh. Literally the only thing that changes in between Easy and Normal mode is there are healing fountains on every level instead of just at the beginning level of the game. Guess it'd make a Caster run much easier.

It still a major change. With healing fountains you can grind indefinitely. Yes you still run the risk of getting wiped out in a single turn if you do something dumb. But if you have a healing spell then you can just use it in the middle of every turn non stop. Definitely makes grinding a lot safer.

And I am till getting wrecked in round 5. I finally got Archer's UBW but I have no idea what to do with it. My guess is that it lets you spam a skill that I will unlock soon, but that's still 4 levels away.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

That's odd, Archer and the final tutorial bit should've explained very clearly what your Noble Phantasm does and what's required to trigger it; I know Caster's was explicitly spelled out and the description in the menu also explains what it does clearly. How does UBW work?

Edit:

-Troika- posted:

It doubles the damage of the rest of his damage dealing skills.

Yup that explanation works too. Although I think it's more than just damage, it might increase the probability of applying debuff effects as well.

Just beat Assassin by falling back on the old RPG standby of grinding levels.

UBW kind of works the way you expect it to. You have to stack his projection charges until you reach 6. The game says 5, but maybe it's a weird translation or mechanical quirk. Because you start fights (when you get a specific skill) with 1 charge so you have to stack 5 on top of it for a total of 6.

After that you can trigger UBW and the sequence is kind of flashy and all. But it doesn't actually do a drat thing on its own. It only buffs the damage/effectiveness of all the skills that Archer has. You can only use UBW once per fight and it only lasts for two turns I believe. After that all your charges are reset so you have to start stacking them all over again. I think it might also replenish mana but I might be imagining that part.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lancer is hosed. Even if he does win the holy grail I don't think he is clever enough to force Sola to use up the command seals so that she doesn't use them to gently caress over Kayneth right at the end. Not that I expect things to really get that far.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Marin Karin posted:

The best Dojos are the ones with Doll-Shirou.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0RT_KZQBDc
There is some schadenfreude and masochism involved when the whole thing calls the player out for being a spergtastic rear end in a top hat and some one calls it great.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

jonjonaug posted:

Fate/Zero let's talk about that instead.

Ok fine. This episode sure was boring. Also it's a good thing I didn't watch it until today because that only leaves two days until the next one. Of course in a perfect world I would have never watched it in the first place.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Saber is the most boring character in the show. Mainly because everyone else is at least written to be a somewhat interesting character and they are getting some screen time. Saber is just there like a piece of scenery.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well some lucky person here, we all know who, might be in luck.
https://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/09/fatestay-night-realta-nua-is-getting-an-official-pc-port/

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Saber: I wish for Code Geass to be real
Speaking of Code Geass. The country, and by extension it's ruler/monarch/personincharge, is it's people. And in a sense it's probably what Rider's philosophy amounts to. Be crazy, charismatic, outstanding, larger than life enough so that everyone else will follow you.

So I would say that rider is a leader but not a king in the grandiose sense of the word. While Saber's philosophy really is all about inhuman self sacrifice for the sake of the country and the people. Which is probably a more acceptable philosophy to the people and kind of props up the idea of the Divine right of Kings. Where a king is an individual appointed to rule by god and certainly something greater than your average peasant.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

It's a literal war, and such actions by Saber make her appear to trivialize the situation. As if it were some kind of game to her. This episode showed Saber as being extremely childish and naive, which is consistent with her character arc when you consider what is going to unfold both in the rest of Zero as well as FSN.

And Saber clearly stated that literal war should be conducted in a manner that abides by a specific code of honor. To her it was quiet serious and not at all trivial.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

It's just that intentionally handcapping yourself like she did by not using her left hand strikes me as the height of folly given what is at stake.
What was at stake was Honor. And using both hands she would have forfeited the battle from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I feel like being a DnD nerd for a second.

Kiritsugu is Neutral Evil
Kotomine is Lawful Evil

• Locked thread