Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

This show is going to own and should be at the top of people's watch list for the fall season.

Also, motorcycles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Fate/Zero: Mapo Tofu Own Zone

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

FrantzX posted:

The best part of that picture is Gilgamesh has his four golden fishing rods. I can just here him screaming "Mongrel!" whenever a fish gets away,

I kind of figure he'd be standing there for all of 2 minutes before saying gently caress it, opening the Gates of Babylon and hurling an innumerable number of weapons hurtling into the ocean.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

As long as we don't bring up SHIKI, the worst of the Shiki's.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Well except that one kid who apparently ditched magician school to join in on the festivities.

Waver isn't so bad. His servant more than makes up for any of his shortcomings and their interactions provide some much needed levity.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

The best part of Carnival Phantasm is the Alleyway Alliance. It is my greatest lamentation in life that I can't find any way of getting their pose animation to fit SA avatar restrictions.

But yeah, that first episode was really good, especially for something that was 99% set-up.

The Alleyway Alliance bits are probably the most consistently funny. Which was within my calculations.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Rexides posted:

Would it have been so bad for the story if the premise was just "Mages summon ancient heroes to do battle for the Holy Grail" instead of "Mages summon ancient heroes who must also fit one of seven classes and have stats and poo poo but no really it's just the nerd protagonist who imagines that, except for the classes, that's here to stay, also maybe the stats are real too, who knows, and something about the Grail I guess"?

But anyway, I am whining too much about a visual novel I don't even plan to read/play. Maybe Fate/Zero is bound to reference the class system due to it's role in F/SN, but other than that it will try to be serious. Or maybe that would be a bad thing and I would be missing all the over the top silliness of an RPGized world that tries to take itself seriously?

gently caress, I am buckling up for the ride.

You can pretty much ignore the class/stat stuff, I honestly forgot it was even in the F/SN VN until it got brought up in this thread, which should show you how important it is to the story.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Rexides posted:

Well, it's things like this:

Can you really blame me for jumping to conclusions?

Anyway, I am going to trust you guys, and stop my whining here.

Yeah that shot is available from like the main menu after you've seen the different heroes, I think it was used like all of once in game when the whole infodump about the war and servants was going on for Shirou and the reader/player. It's not like Pokemon or Yugi-Oh or something, where you've got these stat sheets popping up while two masters are fighting.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Eh, if you haven't played the VN or seen the anime, and that screenshot is your point of reference I could see being worried. :shobon:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah I just looked at it as a unique way to give more info/background on the cast of characters, but I guess such a video game inspired theme turns some people off from it? I dunno. Seems more like some misunderstandings about how much actual influence it has on the storyline and direction, which is basically none in reality.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, it is obviously someone related to one of the current participants. They emphasized that particular act too much for it to be nothing. I assumed it was Kirei's wife. It would be completely in character for him to find out he would be facing the guy who killed his wife and not react in any visible way.

Not trying to spoil anything here, but have you played or seen FSN? Don't read the spoiler if you haven't. That doesn't really follow Kotomine's established character.

Chalupa Picada fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 5, 2011

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

At least it means one guaranteed good show to watch next year?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Zouken was out of his loving mind and a really good villain, considering I actually did feel sorta sorry for him at the end of HF.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yay they really captured Caster's creepy factor! And yeah, Rider is the best.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Skwerl posted:

^related question, when did fate/stay night take place? i.e. how many years have it been since Fate/Zero's event?

Also its pretty bizzare to watch that thing knowing how the whole event will just end up in the shitter during the grand finale.

10 years between holy grail wars 4 and 5, and yeah Shirou has the cutest older sister :3:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

How can you hate the Alleyway Alliance, it's the best thing in the show. Which was within my calculations.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Really enjoyed the scenes between Iris and Saber, just so :unsmith:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah I dunno, I saw zero romantic overtones between Iris and Saber, but I'm really familiar with the source material and series it's a prequel to, so. v:shobon:v

To me I just saw Saber kind of opening up to someone else who has pretty much been forced into a specific role their entire life and hasn't gotten to really experience anything themselves. It's a lot like Saber's decision to become the king of England, which was kind of touched on in the previous episode. Neither of them has had the freedom to even do something as mundane as go enjoy walking around and seeing the sites of a simple city, and Saber kind of realizing and appreciating that, gives in to Iris' wish to enjoy their time before the Grail War starts up in full.

I mean, now that you've mentioned it I can kind of see what you mean, but Saber doesn't even see herself as a woman. She is a knight and a king first and foremost. That concept really got pounded into your head in the Fate route of the story and anime.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

I love how everyone's focusing on casual friendship between Irisviel and Saber and not the part where Kiritsugu just made out and had implied sex with not-his-wife.

That just kinda felt depressing, with Kiritsugu nearly breaking down thinking about Ilya when he was checking out his gun. I really like how well the voice actor is showing the different personalities between Kiritsugu as a father and Kiritsugu the Mage Killer.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

So thats what happened? I was wondering about the gap there; F/Z makes me believe that there's this huge mages association and this huge church running things (or competing for influence) but barely no mention of anything in FS/N.

Well, consider that Shirou is a lovely mage, with not only no formal training, but incorrect training, Rin is cursed with loving things up no matter what and lost her dad kind of early in her life, so missed out on training she should've had, Lancer's and Caster's masters (who were Mage Association people) got killed before it all even started, Rider was being used by a mage without any magic, and Assassin was an entirely different different can of worms. Pretty much Ilya was about the only thing even close to a proper mage in FSN and she wasn't even human.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Ummmmm, Caster and his master are artists. Gosh,they don't need to scheme when their only plan is to create masterpieces! :gonk:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

Well, I imagine everyone in the war (except Mr. Killing Is Just a Fun Game, mostly because I don't think he knows that there's a war at all) knows Kiritsugu is in it, because he's being supported by the Einzberns, and is also the Magus Killer.

They probably don't know what servant he summoned, though. At least not yet.

Nah, if this was the case he wouldn't need to bother having Iris along for the ride, pretending to be Saber's master. Pretty sure the only people aware of him being involved right now are Tokiomi and Kotomine, since they've got the Mage's Association and the Church as information networks and were obviously putting a ton of effort into finding out who they were going to be up against.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

If Lancer's theme song was a gun, what gun would it be? I think it'd be one that shoots bullets at people until they die.

But people only die if they're killed. :v:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Wiki has it listed at 25 for what it's worth. :shobon:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Except the thing is pretty much everyone has aces up their sleeves that can flip the situation around at any moment. It's just that no one wants to use them yet because it's just the start of the festivities.

I mean where would the entertainment be if some one pulled out their ultimate attack of certain infinite unstoppable cataclysmic destruction of armageddon like proportions right at the start.

Well if you're the king of kings you just don't give any fucks about that sort of behavior. :smug:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Really impressed with how well they brought Berserker to life, it was just fantastic watching his fight with Gil animated. The VA for Berserker is great too, really feel like they've done well to express his madness. !! indeed, Berserker.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

I loved that segment, gently caress you.

ChronoReverse posted:

My thoughts precisely =D

I thought I was the only one!

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Wasn't it in his backstory that he shot down a jet liner just to take out one person as well? Guess there was precedent there.

*removed since I apparently misremembered what even gets brought up in the novels and what is from other material! :downs: Wasn't intentional, sorry.

Chalupa Picada fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 6, 2011

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Taiga was easily the best heroine in FSN, considering the Tiger Dojos were the best part of it.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I kinda thought killing his dad was more him lashing out because of suddenly losing the girl he had a crush on. I didn't get a cold-blooded killer vibe at all, so much as a child reacting to a situation badly. Like, I think if his dad hadn't been all BEEP BOOP WELP CALCULATED RISK, LET'S TRY AGAIN SOMEWHERE ELSE and had shown some compassion for his son, he wouldn't have gone through with it.

Then again, if he were that kind of person, he wouldn't be a good magus and wouldn't be attempting monstrous experiments, but yeah.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

:rice:

Such a good episode, and one that's worth leaving the comments on for. "Is this FF7?" :allears:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I'm starting the visual novel now for fate/stay night. How long is it? The first male student was just introduced after this bit of dialogue at the archery club. When does it pick up and wouldn't it be cool if visual novels included mini games?

40-50~ hours, at an average pace? If you're following a guide, keeping saves at appropriate spots, and avoiding Tiger Dojos, you could probably squeak by under 30.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Marin Karin posted:

By the way, the funniest scene by far was Kotomine's almost childish reaction to Kiritsugu ignoring him. All that was missing was him mumbling, "Yeah. Well. I didn't want your attention, anyway."

I kinda figured he was pissed to see Kiritsugu just completely broken. He was ready for another rumble, and instead sees a man who's lost everything and is grasping for straws and any meaning he can find amidst burning rubble. While Kotomine felt like he'd finally found an answer, Kiritsugu thoroughly had his worldview shattered and his belief system completely undermined by his vision in the grail sequence.

I didn't really get the vibe that he was jealous or felt snubbed or whatever, so much as he seemed to be feeling disdain or disgust that he'd been so focused on someone who lost his way so easily. Like, remember how much time he had spent researching Kiritsugu and how Gil pointed out that he was unusually interested in him, which sparked their whole relationship.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Dude must be hot as heck in that thing considering how miserable July/August is in the beltway.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The main difference between FSN Shirou, and Church Shirou, is Church Shirou loving -loves- mapo tofu.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Rodyle posted:

This is a terrible place for this, but there's nowhere better, so here's some more CCC trailers! They're little clipshows with some va and in-game footage of one character apiece.

Devil Chick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NnUt-HqnXE

Karna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRz6cbrxb_k

Karna's Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUIcOIx473o

Gilgamesh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efI9Xj8obSw

Sorcerer Sakura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ytXmEm9des

lovely Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQPrTCvw5GY

Someone Please Stop Wada From Drawing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UR-Why1zcQ

Nomura-esque with all the belts and zippers.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Nope, Lancers are always the best. :smug:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

But I want to whine about how much more awesome Arcueid is; she actually has a personality! :negative:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Definitely seemed implied in the show that they were intimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Also while Rins training obviously wasn't as unforgivable as Sakuras, it's still pretty awful and difficult apparently. Indoctrinating your kid into that kind of life from a young age is hosed up on it's own, even before you get to the training and passing on your family's crest. Mages have a pretty god drat poo poo life overall, with how totalitarian the Mages Association is. Your option is pretty much end up like Kariya where you're manipulated by your power mad family or forced to abandon your life, or on the run if you're naturally talented and considered dangerous by the association.

• Locked thread