Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

TA is a classic example of a character who is cheaply hyped up by coming in during the 3rd act and taking out all the other characters shown to be tough up to that point. The other two HF exclusive enemies are like that too, but TA is the worst.
TA is actually shown to be pretty weak. He mostly gets by by being a cunning little bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

He just seems like a generic shounen protagonist. Which means he is not at all ready for the clusterfuck that is about to go down.
Yeah, but the difference is him not being ready at all for the clusterfuck is the point of his character. And he's not some HERO OF JUSTICE or anything, he's just sorta arrogant and burned by his teacher.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best part of Carnival Phantasm is the Alleyway Alliance. It is my greatest lamentation in life that I can't find any way of getting their pose animation to fit SA avatar restrictions.

But yeah, that first episode was really good, especially for something that was 99% set-up.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 2, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The game thing is kinda wonky but does it seriously ruin the show to you?

EDIT: And yeah, Rin explicitly states that the stats thing is just a way of making things simple for the person reading the book thing that shows them. Shirou's a nerd, and most people reading the VN probably understand RPG stats, so that's the way things go.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 4, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sentrygun posted:

Pretty sure Saber says, with rank lettering, why she can't hurt Berserker, as well as other possible instances I probably haven't seen yet.
I'm pretty sure Saber was saying that because she knew how Shirou understood the capabilities.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Absolutely none of the RPG stuff comes up in Fate/Zero, yeah. The classes are literally the only thing, and while it's kinda wonky if you think about it for too long it at least makes sense in-universe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

This will be one of the very few times I spoil the novel. Very minor, inconsequential spoilers.

It does in one scene. It's mentioned extremely briefly as a method to compare the strength of one Noble Phantasm to another.
Which is basically how it's used in F/SN, too, just with a menu you can go into at any time for that sort of comparison.

You might as well lower your expectations because Waver Velvet is a dumb name.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rexides posted:

Can you really blame me for jumping to conclusions?
It said "the protagonist," as in the protagonist is a goofy nerd who sees it that way. You pretty much jumped to conclusions for no real reason. Waver and Rider won't be going to the item world, and I don't recall Kirei and Assassin having an indepth discussion on equipping light resist equipment to deal with Saber. Expecting them to just because of a goofy sidenote thing in the VN is silly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Shirou is a cypher, he has no personality except "has a strongly developed sense of morals" and "is obnoxiously sexist."

Fate Shirou, anyways. Maybe UBW or HF will turn out better.
He gets way, WAY better in UBW and HF. Trust me.

EDIT: HF especially, though his interactions with Rin in UBW add a lot to his personality.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Just so you guys know, power level debates are basically the same as the guys on the Gamefaqs board asking who'd win in a fight, Goku or Superman. There's far more interesting things to discuss than hypothetical fights between anime characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I've always kind of liked Zouken. I can see where the people who thought he was uninteresting in F/SN were coming from, but iunno, he had clear motives, a weird sort of old-man charisma, and Got poo poo Done. Way more than you could say for, say, Shinji.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Because it's the same punchline over and over, and it wasn't even funny the first time. It's never a good setup, it makes no real use of Sion or Riez, and it's just generally lazy. If this is what Japanese standup is actually like I weep for that country
Except it's not the same punchline? Not that I can tell, anyway.

Also Carnival Phantasm overdid some jokes (The Volleyball episode was kind of awful, save for Len's castle in the background) but stuff like the Holy Grail Game Show made up for it.

EDIT: Also, thanks AnacondaHL! I'll probably grab myself that soonish.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 10, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

Yeah, I just double-checked it with the LP. Me dumb.
You probably got it confused with Zelretch's Sword of Plot Convenience.

And Fate/Extra plays like Persona in a lot of ways, but the combat is pretty much glorified Rock Paper Scissors. It's a fun little diversion, even if I barely understood what was going on due to my Japanese skills being non-existent, but I'd only buy it if you really love Type-Moon stuff, and with the knowledge that you're playing it for the story and not the gameplay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

F/UC is a fighting game. It's not an overly good one, in terms of playing in competitively or looking at it objectively, but pretty much every character in the game is completely broken if you know how to do combos, meaning it's great to goof around with in practice mode, or with friends.

Basically, it's a decent fighter but the world's best training mode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I was going to make a "Saber she is a married woman stop that." joke but uh. Huh.

Jokes aside, I could see how you would read the scene that way maybe, but there's a difference between "It's sorta kinda there if you squint" and "GRR YURI FANSERVICE!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, I imagine everyone in the war (except Mr. Killing Is Just a Fun Game, mostly because I don't think he knows that there's a war at all) knows Kiritsugu is in it, because he's being supported by the Einzberns, and is also the Magus Killer.

They probably don't know what servant he summoned, though. At least not yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pitch posted:

Then my apologies to Mr. Urobochi. Clearly he's just picking things out of Wikipedia articles and it's the animators using 2ch.
Yes, the realism of the guns used is very important in this series where King Arthur is a girl and she's fighting Alexander the Great. :psyboom:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

All I know is that Lancer has the coolest music ever.

Warning: Highest rated comment is a massive spoiler.
If Lancer's theme song was a gun, what gun would it be? I think it'd be one that shoots bullets at people until they die.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I think the only thing that'd end the curse would be Lancer's defeat. Or maybe the destruction of the spear.

Depending on how long Lancer stays in the game, that could be a big problem.

Speaking of Lancer staying in the game, "I must be pretty damned good." You are just the coolest, aren't you, Lancer? :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KNK is a good series, yeah. Also Ryougi seriously has the best jacket ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, the dumb fantasy babble definitely detracts from it, but I wouldn't call it badly written... well, okay, I would, but not THAT badly written. At the very least, I liked Touko and Ryougi as characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, Type-Moon artbooks usually give us amazing stuff like MR. DAWN.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You know, for both being giant hulking monstrosities with no ability to speak, Zero Berserker and F/SN Berserker manage to have completely different auras about them.

EDIT: Also, Lancer and Saber in stereo owned.

Also, Caster's VA needs to win every voice acting award ever. Holy poo poo.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 29, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I have no idea why people do that sort of thing. Discussion and guess work is fine, but going OH BY THE WAY DARTH VADER IS A REAL "DADDY" EH? EH? EHHHHHHHHHHH? is just kinda dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Moving away from the current discussion, was there any particular reason why Kiritsugu felt he had to count down from six before be took his shot?

I'm guessing the writers did it for dramatic effect, but that doesn't mesh with Kiritsugu's methods.
Timing his attack with Maiya's on Assassin, yeah. If he went before Maiya, Assasin would have went for him, and if Maiya went before him, Kayneth would have realized there were snipers about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

-Troika- posted:

• Archer continues to be :smugdog:
  • Waver continues to be the guy at the end of :bandwagon:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also I don't think that's mentioned in the games. At all. Saber mentions most of her subjects thought she was a man, but I don't think she adds "because of my schlong."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pierson posted:

What are the chances they ditched the Aftershool Alleyway Alliance?

Minutes of precious animation they could have spent on actual jokes, wasted by crap.
I loved that segment, gently caress you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cliche dating sim where you play as Frankenstein. Wanna go on a date with Shakespeare.

EDIT: Also the Tsukihime remake is definitely happening, but it's probably just in the planning stages until Aoko's VN is finished.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gil stealing Kotomine's couch and drinking all his booze was kind of amazing.

Actually, this episode in general was amazing, and not much even really happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, Saber gave Caster her identity because he told her hers. Nobody in F/SN outright told her their identity, right? She figured out Chulainn's based on his weapon, but that isn't the same as telling her outright.

EDIT: Also Yeah, that episode of Carnival Phantasm... there were some funny jokes but for the most part it was just kinda awkward.

vv Oh, I forgot that. But still, that only helps my point, right? It's consistent across Zero and Stay Night.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 5, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What's even weirder than the weird western names in Nasuverse is the few guys who DO have relatively normal names, like Michael.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sasaki actually showing up and having lines in Carnival Phantasm feels wrong, somehow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Omniphile posted:

Is that... Tohno SHIKI?

He should be happier, he's had less screentime than Sacchin.
And unlike Nanaya and Kouma, he isn't even in Melty Blood.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And now that I think about it, both of Shirou's friends are sexist in different directions. Huh.

Granted Issei's nowhere near as much of a dick as Shinji.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think something else mentioned in F/SN is the more general the command, the less powerful it is.

So "Come save me!" results in teleportation, but something like "Win the Grail War" would basically result in no bonus whatsoever.

e;fb

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Randomzx posted:

When Cú Chulainn have E rank luck and is constantly getting screwed over especially in his legend.
On the other hand, he beat his mentor's sister by literally pulling the "Hey, what's that behind you!?" trick, so he deserves everything he gets really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Okay I think I've finally figured this show out. The grail war isn't worn by killing all other Servant/Master pairs, it's won by being the most ridiculously awesome person alive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Then have I got the wallpaper for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Technically it's implied during one flashback in that part of HF that even then he's still not 100% sure about his marriage.
According to some artbook or another, this is his wife.

I'd be uncertain about my marriage to Rei Ayanami's long lost sister too.

• Locked thread