Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Man, I should keep my hopes low for this but I really hope this will be an excellent adaptatiom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's going to be fun having power level wars in here after the series is done XD.

Somehow Nasuverse brings out the worse in me in this regard.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I honestly feel it's doing yourself a disservice to have slogged through the Fate route and not go through the UBW :kamina: and HF :black101: routes.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 30, 2011

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Fenrir posted:

drat. Guess I've got a lot to do. Please tell me I won't have to fast forward through stupid hentai scenes again at least?

Also, where is this flowchart?

e: VVV Thanks! I never actually noticed that.

Can't you just skip them with the current English patches? If you want a more distilled version, there's the Seorin LP as well.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Is understanding the storyline with that CG dragon a pre-requisite to this show? :trollface:

Seriously though, I've like forgotten all of this, what's the best and quickest way to brush up on the series without spoilers for this season's show?

Not a prerequisite. It can stand on its own although knowing the FSN storylines fills out the universe.

The Seorin LP's are pretty good and CG dragon free.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

Saber killed Gil and she's less powerful than him.

Supposedly Zelretch beat Crimson Moon with a cheapshot but we don't know what that is.

However, Zelretch DID push back the entire physical moon that the Crimson Moon was dropping on Earth. And Zelretch did it with pure force.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I can't wait for some of the somewhat subtle details in this episode to be recalled later =)

A very very wordy episode. Somewhat off-putting even if it's necessary to set up the stage. The part where Kotomine's dad and Tokiomi were pacing around him was comically melodramatic even. Still, the episode gets me excited for the war to start up and the visuals are already hinting at what might come.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

The Holy Queef posted:

Yea, the feeling that comes from this series is much darker than the F/SN routes... I'm quite glad its got its own anime now, that and from ep 1, It definitely looks 10 times better than the f/sn anime (horrible imo). I'm expecting to see some pimp fight scenes soon (better than deen's movie).

Darker than Fate and Unlimited Blade Works anyway. Heaven's Feel is in its own class although I don't think quite as bad as Zero (which, being the prequel, is guaranteed toend in the crapshoot that leads to Fate Stay Night).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

I have no idea who the chariot guy is, but he is already my favorite character.

An excellent choice if you ask me =)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

I am glad they exist because "Riding: ability to ride things :downs:" will never stop being funny.

Ohohoho, you have no idea...

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Not trying to spoil anything here, but have you played or seen FSN? That doesn't really follow Kotomine's established character.

DON'T READ HIS SPOILER IF YOU DON'T KNOW FSN ALREADY. =O

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

-Troika- posted:

Wait a sec that's ridiculous. That means Archer could also beat Arcueid since he can spam like Gilgamesh does :psyduck:

It's not just spam though. Archer can only replicate swords after all and Gilgamesh has far more than that in GoB.

But overall, unless Arcuied instagibs Archer, Archer does have a surprisingly good matchup there under that reasoning.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I do have to ask, was the circle-around-Kirei conversation with Tokiomi and Kirei's dad as silly in the book as it was in the anime? Not even sure why I'm spoilering that.

I think every one who saw that seen lol'd over how over the time it was for no good reason at all.

As for your question: No, they were seated the whole time.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 7, 2011

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Whoa, that ED is great. Especially if you already know the identities of all the servants.

Plus Saber is using a spear against Mordred there and that's just wonderful detail.

Oh man, the Caster scene ._.

Gilgamesh looks mighty fine and even kingly for once.

Cute Ilya is cute but Kiritsugu's relation with Saber is interesting too.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 8, 2011

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

That is rad as hell. UFOTable owns.

Wow that's really awesome. I noticed the Saber one when I mentioned the spear but the other ones are also really cool.

UFOTable really rocks. If they're delaying the second season, I'm sure it's only to make sure the quality remains awesome.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shyrka posted:

Clearly Rider needs to acquire a couple of B-2s for him and Saber to have the most awesome battle ever.

Ohoho...

Zero is simply a distillation of all the potential awesome implied by FSN

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

I was going to make a "Saber she is a married woman stop that." joke but uh. Huh.

Jokes aside, I could see how you would read the scene that way maybe, but there's a difference between "It's sorta kinda there if you squint" and "GRR YURI FANSERVICE!"

Saber considers herself a man and a knight, I don't read any yuri tones at all because of that.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

Does Waver become less of a whiny bitch later on? I think he's hilarious now but it could get pretty tiresome later on.

Just watch the show =)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Pitch posted:

I don't give a poo poo whether they're realistic or not but going to great lengths to make them realistic and loving up is dumb. He could have just had "a gun" instead of three paragraphs quoted from the AN/PVS user manual.

What kind of moronic night vision device would Kiritsugu have that would be damaged by merely not having a cover on in a dim room without even being turned on.

But seriously, you're the one being pedantic here when the author just wanted to have cool guns.

If you're freaking out about it this much, all the media in the world must bring you endless rage as this sort of thing happens all the time.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Pitch posted:

Anything built before before 2005 and not sold in the toy department of Walmart.

Taking the cap off in a dark room would damage night vision devices built before 2005? I know they'll be damaged if you try to use them in daylight but I somehow doubt they'd break if merely uncovered in an environment they're meant to operate in.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I like how it subtly shows how much an advantage Noble Phantasms are without having them necessarily being big explosive things. Saber is clearly in big trouble despite her bravado here for instance.

Plus environmental damage, mmmmm...

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's quite nice that the fights aren't decided by "LOL I'M FASTER THAN YOUR SWORD CAN MOVE".

Even though Saber, as mentioned in episode 4, has super high stats, she's still not so strong that Lancer can't block her attacks for instance. You don't win simply by having a higher power level.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

Hey guys, quit being overly coy with spoilers. Thanks.

Yeah seriously.

It's one thing to say "the anime has already shown enough to guess what the identity is".

It's another thing to go and point out exactly what's a clue and thus reveal what's not a clue as well. Even responding with black out spoiler text is really poor sport.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

I loved that segment, gently caress you.

My thoughts precisely =D

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

House Louse posted:

Much better than the first series, I hope it stays as good.

Lansa~

Really? The episode got chuckles out of me just like the first series did but it didn't seem particularly better though. Fumoffu!? still remains the most gut-busting anime in recent memory for me.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I love the expression of Irisviel and how much she enjoys crazy driving.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

Yeah, the fact she's willing to reveal her name is consistent with the exception for not revealing it to Shirou. Then again she doesn't reveal the fact she knows who the Einzberns are either, but that can also be chalked up to the fact Nasu doesn't want to give too much away at the start of the story.

She's willing to give it away in the line of chivalry. She isn't willing to have it stolen from Shirou's unprotected mind (as she said in FSN).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Saber told Shirou that she withheld her identity from Shirou because other mages would easily lift her identity out of Shirou brain since Shirou has no real magical defenses.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Hmm, I'd thought they'd have shown more of the damage Kiritsugu's skill would do to himself instead of just mentioning it off hand =/

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shyrka posted:

I didn't even recognise there was damage done, I figured it was just tiredness... he is a crappy mage, after all! :v:

People keep repeating that he's a crappy mage when there's no reason to think that he's anything other than average. It's just so much more effective to use other methods.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

-Troika- posted:

It's not that. Rather, Kiritsugu just uses his magery to accomplish stuff, as opposed to using it as a path to research reaching Akasha like most magi. Basically he's only interested in the practical aspects, rather than the theoretical.

Sure, but that's not what people mean when they say "crappy mage". They're using it imply that Kiritsugu was lovely at magic like Shirou was (outside of swords).

Besides, there are other mages who don't care about the spiral either, like Touko, and you don't see the same repeated of her (except when she failed to torch that zombie lol).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

Shirou has 27 magic circuits. And the way he originally activated magic was due to Kiritsugu teaching him a completely wrong and dangerous way of doing so, which suggests that Kiritsugu didn't know how to activate his magic properly either. Considering that Kiritsugu received very little formal magic training as well, I think it makes sense that he doesn't know how to properly use his abilities either.

This isn't accurate either. Kiritsugu wasn't the one who taught Shirou to turn his nerves into pseudo magic circuits, he only told Shirou to practice reinforcement instead of projection (Rin agreed with that since for orthodox mages, reinforcement is far more useful). He gave Shirou a description of the basics but Shirou was the one who had the misunderstanding (at the point Kiritsugu really couldn't do anything but describe it).

However, Kiritsugu didn't notice that Shirou was utilizing his magic wrong. Considering the state Kiritsugu was in, it's really not surprising he didn't notice. More on that when Zero ends.

As for Kiritsugu himself, he doesn't really have a reality marble but his special magic is similar to one except he binds it only within his own body.

quote:

Reality marbles are a type of magic that is close to actual sorcery after all. Shirou is the rain man of wizards; he's insanely good at this one specific area but quite bad on other things. That's partly because Kiritsugu never trained him properly though. With proper training he'd be an average magus outside his specialty.
This might not be true. Shirou has slightly more circuits than average but they're also very low quality except when doing the swords. He'll be a competent magus because he'll overcome the different with brute hard work but the material he's working with is below average.

That's why he'll end up as an "average" magus like Kiritsugu.

In any case, the ultimate proof that Kiritsugu couldn't have been using Shirou's method is how his magic is absolutely reliable. Shirou, until the events of FSN changed his method of using magic, had a success rate of less than 1% when using his pseudo magic circuits.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 12, 2011

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The giveaway would probably be Archer doing something even more ridiculous that he already does.

WARP KAMEH^H^H^H^H^HENUMA ELISH!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
In FSN she teleported straight to him. In FHA she did a mach 10 (or something ridiculous like that) jump with it.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

The one instance known of it was Tohsaka telling Archer to follow her orders, and there they say that it shouldn't have taken hold, being that vague, except that she was really pissed off and forceful about it. In that case he merely "went down one rank" if he disobeyed her.

Furthermore, it was said that it was only because Rin was supremely exceptional that this occurred at all. Archer was going on about how such an use of the Command Seal wouldn't do a thing when he noticed the weightiness.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Not mystical qi even in Heaven's Feel. It's simply application of leverage, momentum and generating power from the entire body driving from the feet.

Plus Kirei is monstrously strong in the first place.

It's basically the equivalent of an one inch punch Kirei delivered to the tree repeatedly. Irisviel assumed binding his hands so that they couldn't move would be enough to nullify Kirei. But his entire body was still free and power in chinese martial arts is generated from the torso which meant Kirei was able to bring his full force into bear.

This is why Kirei appeared to be doing "hip thrusts". He was using his entire body to generate momentum and force.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I wouldn't say no longer a threat but perhaps no more a threat than, say, Assassin would be. Kuzuki was still reinforced to servant-class physical stats after all and his ability to catch Saber's invisible sword was not a trick.

For that last feat, keep in mind that even Zero Lancer couldn't accurately grasp the length of Saber's sword even after several clashes while Kuzuki nailed it first shot.

As for Snake, its effect would largely be nullified once its nature is grasped but it's still powerful in itself. Saber was actually given a reprieve after the initial assault but still completely succumbed to Kuzuki (left hand only) when they started up again.

Not knowing about Snake allowed Kuzuki to utterly dominate Saber without any real resistance. Knowing how it works would give Saber a great advantage but remove Kuzuki's resistance altogether.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 24, 2011

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
And that doesn't change what I said at all. Kuzuki would be defeated by Saber just as Assassin would be.

Nonetheless, Kuzuki wouldn't be unilaterally be curbstomped either which was my point.

Even in that very scene, Kuzuki had paused and allowed Saber to stand back to try again and fail just as hard.

He was also the one responding to Saber's initial surprise attack, stopping her sword entirely dead.

Kuzuki can't beat the strongest melee servant but he'd put up a fight nonetheless.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

...Okay, so Lancer was under a strict command not to kill anyone and Rider and Saber were heavily nerfed themselves, but he still stopped Berserker without any Protagonist powers. That's something, right?

Supposedly, in one of the supplementary materials, False Assassin was only able to drive back Berserker because Caster was also using her magic to "weigh down" Berserker. The mountain terrain is basically super hostile against all servants (this is also the reason why Archer couldn't just snipe False Assassin).

It's still VERY impressive of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Popehoist posted:

I severely doubt the Tsubame Gaeshi we see in F/SN is the actual technique used by the man during his lifetime. Tsubame Gaeshi was probably just a technique to slash an opponent 3 times rapidly, however over the years facts were replaced with myth and rumour until it gained the "truth" of being 3 slashes at once, an attack able to cut down a Swallow in mid-flight. And thus, that's what it was when he was summoned as a servant. You can say similar things for many actual NPs as well, it's theorised that Excalibur was just an incredibly powerful sword in King Arthur's time, but after she died the legend of the sword's glowing light that brought forth promised victory probably resulted in it gaining anti-area properties that it has when used as a NP.

The important thing to remember is that although Servants are real heroes who lived in the past, their abilities and their weapons and those weapons' abilities have been "enhanced" by what society at large believes about them.

This is wrong. You cannot apply real world logic to Nasuverse (where things are usually well defined)

It explicitly says that the Holy Grail chose a wraith of a man who was able to perform Tsubame Gaeshi in his lifetime because the real Sasaki Kojiro never existed. Therefore, he was able to perform it as a real person.

Second, many of the servants are actually WEAKER in their servant forms than in their original forms. For example, Saber was indeed more limited outside of command seal events. Saber, when she was alive, literally had a Dragon Mana Reactor inside of her and had the inherently massive mana of a dragon (these creatures live and breathe mana, being the strongest beasts in Nasuverse). Even with Rin, Saber wasn't at full capacity (only Saber Alter was filled to capacity but the blackening lowered a few stats and skills).

These heroes were all monstrously powerful and that's the reason why they become epic spirits. Keep in mind that people in the past in the Nasuverse are stronger than modern people. A random slave from Gilgamesh's time would be stronger than the best olympian nowadays.

Now sometimes their Noble Phantasms were crystallizations of a feat performed instead of being an item they owned and used in their lifetime. Nonetheless, it would still be based on an actual feat so it's still something the hero would have done in their lifetime.

Keep in mind that Avalon is the original Noble Phantasm, excavated from a dig-site. Nonetheless, it still manifested its abilities up to the EX ranked one. Another one would be Fragarach, owned and used by Bazett, who is decidedly not a servant. Simply put, the Noble Phantasms are literal.

Factor_VIII posted:

That's not a Noble Phantasm though; it's just a skill he developed. Compared to actual noble phantasms I don't think it's that impressive. I do find it rather funny that if you train hard enough you can violate the laws of physics in the Nasuverse. A reflection of the Japanese culture's insistence that practice and persistence can overcome any obstacle perhaps?
I don't think it's meant to be commentary except that False Assassin was so incredible that he managed to do it.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 25, 2011

• Locked thread