Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The most succinct way to sum up Fate/Zero is: This is what a war between heroes of history and legend should be like.

I'm pretty ambivalent towards the FSN VN, but F/Zero is just sheer awesome.

(Don't gently caress it up, guys.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

MadRhetoric posted:

The glory of Rider shall spread throughout the land.

Can't wait to see reactions from those who haven't read the novels. :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If I was going to go with a title I'd have chosen something like 'BEHOLD MY PEERLESS ANIME!' or something like.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Lamquin posted:

I remember watching Fate/Stay night when it was airing in 2006, but other than that I'm clueless about the whole series!

I can't recall much at all about F/sn since it was 5 years ago. Should I rewatch it to understand this "prequel", or will I be fine with at best a vague understanding of the whole thing?

Ideally, you should play the VN (or read the completed and archived LP), since the anime only covers one of three routes and all three have important plot points that will come into play in F/Zero.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

jonjonaug, I'm pretty sure it's Tokiomi Tohsaka, not Tokomi.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I guess at the end of the day, you'd just need to know the basic premise behind how the Grail War works. You'd be missing a whole lot of continuity nods, though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I believe they came up with some kind of Nitro+ vs. Type Moon Calender a couple of years back, actually.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 24, 2011

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

At this point, Type-Moon really has a bad reputation with anime adaptations, huh.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

Not necessarily. There haven't been that many adaptations that have been bad in my opinion. KnK is generally seen as being very good. Personally I thought the original F/SN anime was OK but nothing special and enjoyed the UBW movie. The Tsukihime anime is widely seen as being a bad adaptation and I must say I found it to be slow, disjointed and confusing.

Let's not mince words - the Tsukihime anime is a complete and utter disaster as far as adaptations are concerned.

F/SN's anime was pretty medicore, like you said.

UBW was a disjointed mess. A pretty mess, to be sure, but still a mess. (Which is what happens when you squeeze a ten-hour storyline into less than two hours.)

KnK is literally the only Type-Moon adaptation thus far that could be considered as being good, from start to finish.

Luckily, with Carnival Phantasm (technically an adaptation of Take Moon) and now F/Zero on the way, this looks to be changing soon.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 24, 2011

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

I watched the movie after having read the VN so I already knew the plot and background of the story. I guess that someone who isn't already familiar with the story might get confused.

By the way, there is a possibility that a Heaven's Feel anime will be made.

Well, I judge adaptations based on how well they can stand on their own without supplementary materials, and UBW simply doesn't meet that criteria.

Also, in regards to the possibility of a HF anime - gently caress's sake, Type-Moon. Throw us Tsukihime diehards a bone here!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Plus, having Archer's experience is not the same as having Archer's body which had spent several lifetimes honing itself in combat.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's no exaggeration that I'm buying F/Extra mostly for the non-Fate cameos.

I'm weak, dammit.

Also, about that Berseker: Apparently her Master didn't screw up, at least not the 'Berseker Arc' part, he forced Mad Enhancement on Arcueid due to his religion or something weird like that and wanting to make her a deity.

The screwup is that shoehorning this in basically means that Arc loses access to most of her abilities as a True Ancestor, as well as her real Mad Enhancement, which was several levels stronger than the fake one. So basically despite her Berserker class she's actually weaker than normal. Whoops.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Rodyle posted:

A 5 minute scene just before the climax of the storyline is clearly a dealbreaker.

To be fair, it was awfully shoehorned in between two of the more awesome scenes of the story.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Oh jeez Nasuverse powerlevel discussions.

Stop it, stop it at once. That way lies madness and ambiguity.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Assassin was great, you take that back.

True Assassin was boring and never did anything, though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The actual translation project for H/A is still moving along at a glacial pace, last I checked.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sindai posted:

I think we can all understand someone getting tired of translating Nasu's prose after doing all of FSN.

I could understand someone getting tired of translating Nasu after visiting the church on Day 3.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

This is still the greatest Saber figurine ever made.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Guys, perhaps we should consider the possibility that Factor_VIII was not being entirely serious with that particularly list.

Edit: Also, the name is Zelretch.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

To this day I don't get Nasu's comment about Void!Shiki vs. Servants. It's the personification of Akasha itself. It could rewrite reality so that the Servant it's facing no longer exists (or better yet, never existed at all.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Actually, Nasu has stated that the Bazett of H/A would lose to Ciel (presumably Ciel is good enough that she'd never need to activate an ultimate move that would trigger Fragarach), but that after Bazett truly masters Fragarach it would turn into a 'good match'.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Huh. To be honest, I don't think they have enough content to fill 25 1hr episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Higher power levels aren't the same thing as 'being able to beat', first of all. As others pointed out around the time the list was posted, it's mostly a crapshoot and nothing in that list is definitive.

As for Gil vs Arc, I think the way Nasu put it is that Arc has higher raw stats but Gil's Gate of Babylon makes it a bad matchup for Arc or something along those lines.(That's 30% Arc, by the way. 100% Arc would stomp Gilgamesh without trying.)

• Locked thread