Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I loving loved F/sn, and especially the Heaven's Feel route (which I hear this draws a lot from plot-wise), and Kara no Kyoukai is one of my favorite animated things ever.

My expectations are pretty high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Rodyle posted:

It doesn't really DRAW from it (thankfully), but there is one character who is heavily rooted in the backstory for it. He's very :smithicide:

Well yeah, that and HF has most of Kotomine's backstory, and if I recall it's the route that actually reveals a little bit about Kiritsugu.

But yeah holy loving poo poo this looks awesome.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
My morbid curiosity is compelling me regarding that comic. It's fairly cheap from what I gather, and my standards are really low, so I might as well. :)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, the worst thing about a possible HF adaptation is that it'll likely be censored to hell and back unless ufotable does it. DEEN has a habit of removing any mention of sex in their versions (hello, mana dragon biting Shirou's arm off!) which isn't going to mesh nicely with a route where the villain's main weapon is an army of carnivorous, orifice-invading dicks that eat you alive from the inside and where the villain's son rapes his sister repeatedly just for shits and giggles.

I don't think I can possibly emphasize how hosed up HF is, especially compared to Fate and UBW. The closest they came to horror was light-grade poo poo like Kotomine's basement full of charred corpses from Fate and the mutated Grail from UBW, but HF goes straight into David Cronenberg poo poo pretty fast, which would be jarring as hell if the route weren't really well-written.

I'm not saying all of this should be shown graphically, but scrubbing away any mention of it like DEEN seems to be wont to do (and the Realta Nua version did) is gonna make the route really incomprehensible really quick. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure Type-MOON is intelligent enough not to use DEEN for this, especially if Fate/zero does as well as it should.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

One more thing to remember is that KnK was a movie series, so they could have stuff there that can't be shown on television. And of course since Fate/Zero is a TV series, its budget will be significantly lower than the movies.

Dickworms turned up in several of the PVs. I'm pretty sure television restrictions aren't an issue. And we've seen the animation and it's loving beautiful so far so I'm pretty sure this is getting quite a lot of money thrown at it.

quote:

Yeah. MoS is a pretty bad ending. Shirou ends up like Kiritsugu, a tortured broken shell of a man who has sacrificed all the people he loved in order to save strangers. And by choosing to kill Sakura Shirou has betrayed his ideal, since his aim is save everyone and Sakura is an innocent as she hasn't consciously killed anyone.

Yeah, I've noticed that the only people who like MoS have a serious irrational hatred of Sakura.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

It wouldn't be much. Just Shirou walking up to a Servant and getting his rear end killed because he has no Servant, no companions, no knowledge of how his powers work, and an angry Ilya out to kill him.

Sure, Kotomine says Shirou will win, but it's pretty obvious he can't. Kotomine's probably just being his usual sardonic self.

Well, when you consider that Shirou beats the living poo poo out of an even stronger Berserker with nothing but a single use of Archer's arm and his own giant steel balls it's not that improbable.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

I'd argue that Kotomine is stronger than Kiritsugu.

That's because Kotomine is basically roided-out Catholic Batman. As far as opponents who can reasonably be called humans Kiritsugu is stronger than all of them.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 26, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Yet F/SN tells us that Kiritsugu kicked Kotomine's rear end. I'm sure Kotomine will put up a good fight, but it's already set in stone who the victor will be.

Kotomine is also eight feet tall, built like a brick shithouse, and can (HF) survive getting his heart ripped out and replaced with a core made of concentrated evil, and still kick Shirou's rear end even when he's minutes away from falling over dead. Kiritsugu is none of these. I think Urobuchi can do a little fudging here and have it be a moral victory or Kotomine not actually trying to win or something like that.

Also yeah I'm getting really tired of goons getting creeped out by anime tits, jesus loving christ you guys are babies. Pointless and shoehorned in? Yep. Hilarious? Hell yes. (mollusks!) Creepy? No.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 26, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

What? I was talking about those people who were playing the FSN VN for the first time. This thread is inevitably going to spoil the poo poo out of FSN one way or another no matter what anyone says and anyone concerned about FSN (or have FSN-specific questions) should take it up somewhere else in order to avoid that.

E: This thread should be under no "obligation" to spoiler tag FSN stuff as a courtesy. That's stupid. If someone comes in and gets something spoiled from FSN and they don't like that, well they shouldn't be reading this thread in the first place is what I'm saying.

I'm going to spoiler tag HF stuff, just because a lot of it is Zero spoilers too for people coming in fresh, but I'm treating Fate and UBW as relatively fair game since they've both gotten anime adaptations that didn't completely mangle the plot.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

quakster posted:

I came into this thread hoping to figure out if this anime adaptation of a light novel prequel to a semi-erotic visual novel was as fun as whatever little I know about it suggested it would be and hoped to see goons confirm my suspicions but instead I got to slog through three pages of DBZ-esque powerlevel chat. :negative:

God damnit, Goons. (PS. Saber would obv. kick everyone else's asses with her hands tied and eyes closed. :colbert:)

Well, the Unlimited Blade Works route of the visual novel has a guy having a sword fight with his pissed-off cynical badass future clone and winning through sheer testicular fortitude, sandwiched between the main characters fighting a man who can magically punch people's heads off and the protagonist having a battle of wills with Gilgamesh (yes, that Gilgamesh) through the two raining extradimensional swords on each other.

(Heaven's Feel) The next route has the protagonist killing a tortured, insane Hercules using magic drawn from the severed arm of said future clone, then not too long after, killing evil King Arthur (or fighting her to a standstill if you get a certain really awesome Bad End), and then having a dragged out fistfight with 8-foot-tall Evil Catholic Batman that starts out in Batman's favor, then the protagonist has a sudden revelation and beats the living manshit out of him. While being made almost entirely of swords because his body responds to being wounded by impaling him.

And Fate/zero manages to be more completely bugfuck insane than that.

Does that answer your question?

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 29, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Pierson posted:

Love the story, love the world, hopeful about the staff. Can't wait for this to start.

Watch Kara no Kyoukai and Madoka Magica, and go from "hopeful" to "unconditional, unquestioning desire to have their children." :)

The staff is seriously 75% of why I want to watch this show. Yuki Kaijura and Gen Urobuchi working with ufotable is guaranteed to produce nothing but amazing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Fenrir posted:

I've played F/SN but only the first (Fate) route - should I do UBW now to finish "catching up" for F/Z? Also, are there multiple UBW endings?

You need to play through UBW, but it's not nearly as important for F/Z as HF is, which is why I've been spoilertagging HF stuff but leaving UBW stuff untagged.

And yeah, there's multiple endings, but the difference is pretty minor compared to HF (which technically has four endings, counting a bad end that doesn't kill Shirou or otherwise torture him, and a bad end that the game itself doesn't consider a bad end later on).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Don't fast-forward through them, especially in HF. I know it's cool to be repulsed to the point of vomiting your small intestine out by anything with characters getting mad rutty in it but Nasu's prose is beyond loving hilarious and not worth missing out on.

That and if I'm remembering it correctly HF actually throws out plot points in mid-boning at times.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The thing is, you can basically argue endlessly about Nasuverse power levels, because with some exceptions like Kiritsugu, Taiga, Hisui/Kohaku, and Fate Shirou, everyone's on more or less an even scale with that scale being "absurdly loving broken."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How many episodes is this set for? I thought it was 24 but seeing that the first episode was double-length makes me think 12.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Well, considering Fate/zero ties into HF more than any of the other routes, we haven't gotten HF animated yet, and TV censorship would thunderfuck HF as far as both gore and sex go, I'd say you're on to something here. :)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sledeau posted:

Hey, the Emiya/Archer fight was pretty cool in the movie. The rest was pretty forgettable, sadly.

Yeah, Shirou vs. Archer and Shirou vs. Gilgamesh were both pretty well done (even if Shirou's UBW was cut a little short) even if the rest was mediocre.

And yeah, you pretty much have to go frame-by-frame to notice most of the lovely animation in UBW, it's pretty nice-looking if you don't.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Kariya talking to Sakura is so incredibly :smithicide: if you've played F/SN.

Actually, Kariya in general is depressing as hell.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Zandracon posted:

Was rewatching episode one and I just realized the identity of the mage that Kiritsugu killed by shooting down an passenger airplane. :smith:

...come on, out with it, assuming it's not a spoiler. Inquiring minds want to know.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, this power level debate is pretty dumb. The Nasuverse is pretty much deliberately set up so you can constantly bitch about how your favorite character is guaranteed to win any fight, because everyone who has any kind of powers at all has some sort of ridiculous one-hit-kill like UBW, Ea or Gae Bolg.

Metamucil posted:

Yes, can we please turn the discussion back towards the absolutely riveting plot of this anime adaptation of an adult visual novel. It seems like some in this thread only like Fate because it features crazy fantasy battles between famous mythological figures. Shame on you all, this series has so much more to offer.

Perhaps we could debate the merits of our favorite creepy sex scenes. I'm a huge fan of threesomes ala EmiyoxRinxSaber, though what I really want to see is some more cosplay. Fingers crossed.

:gb2fyad:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Wili posted:

All right then.

Is this the first animated aparition of Zouken? I really liked the guy whenever he was on screen, he dominated all his scenes. He has pretty much the voice, movements and expression I always imagined.

I think he's popped up in Carnival Phantasm, actually, even if it's only in the ED.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
...wait, what the gently caress? If 3 years pass between the beginning of ep 1 and the majority of the series, and 10 years pass between that and F/SN, wouldn't that make Ilya 13?

That makes a lot of her scenes in F/SN genuinely really creepy. :froggonk:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Ah, I thought as much regarding her age in F/SN. I just didn't catch that 5 years passed between the scene with Ilya's birth and the scene with Tokiomi, Risei, and Kirei.

e: OH DEAR GOD :gonk:

Caster is loving terrifying. :staredog: I do not care about getting spoiled at this point, please for the love of God tell me he dies soon. :gonk:

e2: Okay the ending to that was loving awesome. Made up for Caster and then some.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 9, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

HF is kind of odd. The beginning and most of the middle are pretty dull and meandering (mostly because everyone's worried about Sakura), but after a very distinct moment, everything becomes completely, amazingly awesome. Especially the very last battle.

Honestly, if you care about Sakura (which you should, she's actually a really well-written and sympathetic character all things considered) the beginning and middle are pretty awesome. Not gonna deny that it definitely picks up at a certain point, though, the fights after that point are some of the best ever and make me really hope HF gets animated.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Isn't there some program that lets you play PC games on the Mac?

That's actually a genuine question by the way, I recall Linux has something like that, called "wine" or something.

The beauty of OSX being built on a Unix backend is that Wine has been ported to it as well. Ask in the Mac Gaming thread in Games if you want to know more, I'm not too knowledgeable about it.

F/SN runs fine in WINE, though, and ONScripter is open-source so you can run Tsukihime natively if you have the data files.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You know, I have to hand it to Nasu; even though all the exposition kind of disrupts the story sometimes, there really is an interesting consistency to the rules. I'm not there yet, but I think I know how HF ends.

Sakura's curse is because she has a contract with Angra Manyu. Caster's Rule Breaker can dissolve any contract. Shirou can project any weapon. So "all" he has to do is project Rule Breaker and sever the contract.

You're pretty close. IIRC it's Rin that uses Rule Breaker and it's the real deal, but I could be wrong.

e: Wait, nevermind, yeah, you're dead-on.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 11, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

I just finished HF, and he's right, it's Shirou who projects then uses Rule Breaker.

Yeah, I just double-checked it with the LP. Me dumb.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Assassin.

:tviv:

Also, what is it with the Einzbern family and silly hats?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone want to make a gif of Kiritsugu reloading his pistol? I would but I'm bad at this.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does Waver become less of a whiny bitch later on? I think he's hilarious now but it could get pretty tiresome later on.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
522 loving dollars? :stare: This is ridiculous.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, if precedent is to be believed it'll be Funimation, since they own the license to Fate/stay night TV (and presumably UBW if that ever comes over) over here.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
:hawaaaafap:

This is the best goddamn show of this season. Nothing else compares.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
There needs to be some variant of :tviv: where the little dude in the chair is :fsn:. It's pretty telling that everything from the middle of episode 2 on has been pure distilled :black101:.

Iskander charging into Berserker with his chariot was one of the most hilariously awesome things I've seen in quite a while.

Also jesus christ Caster hasn't gotten any less terrifying :gonk:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Haha, Caster thinks Saber is Joan of Arc. I find that really funny since that's who I think many people assume her identity is at first in FSN.

Well, if you know a lot about Arthurian myth all of that applies to Arthur too.

Forsaken by God referring to the battle where Arthur killed Mordred and was mortally wounded. FSN mentions it so it's not unreasonably obscure.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The_Guy posted:

I don't wanna watch this anymore. :aaa:

I was legit considering dropping the series after episode 2 because of Caster's little Lovecraftian stunt.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Reposting this from the Anime Gifs thread over in PYF because it's one of my favorite moments in this series so far:

So much loving detail for such a simple thing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Carnival47 posted:

Out of curiosity, what type of name is Sola-Ui Nuada-Re Sophia-Ri? Is she from an ancient Gaelic family or something?

Nasu is completely batshit nuts and has no idea what normal person names sound like, :dealwithit:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

So long as I'm here, Nico Nico made a version of the OP for north american audiences.

Japan, I love you. Lost my poo poo at Rider just straight up chairshotting Waver in the back of the head and then again at Sakura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I just watched 7 and 8 back to back

:tviv: JESUS loving CHRIST KOTOMINE BROKE A TREE IN HALF WITH HIS BARE HANDS :black101: :tviv: :tviv:

Also the entire Kayneth/Kiritsugu fight and every goddamn thing involving Caster jesus goddamn christ I love this loving show so much. This show is really loving gory too I've noticed, not as bad as some but still Kayneth vomiting up what looked like some of his organs and collapsing in a pool of his own blood was pretty goddamn insane.

• Locked thread