Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
The episode was bad entirely because of the guests. Doug himself was no longer enjoying things after one round of the maltin game. Him calling them out for acting like assholes at around the 2 hour mark was sort of cool.

"You never talk to your LA panels like this Doug."

"Yeah. Do you see the difference between them and you?"

Awkward silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I love how pissed Doug can get. Everyone thinks he's just this laid back jolly stoner, but you gently caress with his show and he *will* snap at you. In his jolly stoner way. But nothing harshes his buzz more than someone dragging down his game.

I also liked how even the audience got a bit restless. US! US! BRUCE WILLIS!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Golbez posted:

I love how pissed Doug can get. Everyone thinks he's just this laid back jolly stoner, but you gently caress with his show and he *will* snap at you. In his jolly stoner way.

One of the reasons why the end of today's episode is so great.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I gave these clues to my girlfriend from the first Austin ep:

Christmas movies
3 stars
Dynamite and great, marred by over length.

... She came back with "is it something like Die Hard?"

ZERO NAMES

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Phone posted:

I gave these clues to my girlfriend from the first Austin ep:

Christmas movies
3 stars
Dynamite and great, marred by over length.

... She came back with "is it something like Die Hard?"

ZERO NAMES

Die Hard is one of two movies I've gotten solely based on the category, year, and stars. (Also, Die Hard, overlong? What?)

The other was "Westerns, 1995, 2 and a half stars" The Quick and the Dead.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I loved this episode.
Angry Doug is the best.

It only took 30 minutes to call out Deb on how her accent gave her hacky material a slightly longer shelf life and his anger just kept growing during the next 100 minutes. :allears:

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
By comparison, Jeff Garlin was on today's episode doing his usual show-hijacking rants and Doug wasn't as angry.

...or maybe it's more accurate to say couldn't get as angry, since he couldn't really get a word in edgewise.

Oh well, I still enjoyed it. I don't know why I enjoy Jeff's rants, but drat it I don't care, I do.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

plastered quack posted:

By comparison, Jeff Garlin was on today's episode doing his usual show-hijacking rants and Doug wasn't as angry.
Because Jeff Garlin's actually funny

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If Rooker was on, holy poo poo it would have been a perfect storm.

Garland sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Rooker sounds like he doesn't understand the sounds that are coming out of his face hole.

re: the second austin show, I listened to the last half of the Len Maltin game and all 4 of them seemed really annoying and drunk out of their god drat skulls.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I actually found the episode where Doug was really high/drunk pretty funny, and as a whole I find DLM fun to listen to. I've listened to every episode thus far, and the 2nd Austin one has been the only unbearable one for me. There's never been a group of such unfunny people on the show, and they were really grasping for people to find anything they said humorous.

I don't know if I want him to stop bringing people on that aren't actors or comedians, because there have been times he's done that where they are funny and they get the concept of the game (like the NY news anchor). But this episode was such a drat trainwreck for everyone involved :(

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I feel like Deb would have been more appealing if she picked her spots a little better.

That can go without saying to a lot of Doug's guests that aren't professional comedians.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

-Atom- posted:

I feel like Deb would have been more appealing if she picked her spots a little better.

That can go without saying to a lot of Doug's guests that aren't professional comedians.
Doug had great insight into this.

He told them it wasn't like their shows where they interview musicians and have to fill time after one word answers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

Because Jeff Garlin's actually funny

Yea I think Doug lets him rant because Jeff is actually funny. He seems the kind of guy to grasp that even something that hijacks the show can be good if done well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RoryGilmore posted:

I actually found the episode where Doug was really high/drunk pretty funny, and as a whole I find DLM fun to listen to. I've listened to every episode thus far, and the 2nd Austin one has been the only unbearable one for me. There's never been a group of such unfunny people on the show, and they were really grasping for people to find anything they said humorous.

I don't know if I want him to stop bringing people on that aren't actors or comedians, because there have been times he's done that where they are funny and they get the concept of the game (like the NY news anchor). But this episode was such a drat trainwreck for everyone involved :(

What ep was the new york anchor one? I don't remember that.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Davincie posted:

What ep was the new york anchor one? I don't remember that.

It was the second to last paid episode with Jim Gaffigan.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
That terrible Austin show is simply the result of having guests whose job is to talk about nothing for four straight hours a day, every day.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
So is there a reason why Andy Daly seems to never do Doug Loves Movies at all (ignoring the recent episode with Dom Dimello of course)? He seems to be the only CBB regular I don't think I've ever seen on the show, which is too bad because I love him on CBB. (He was also with Doug in one of the Bumbershoot CBB episodes, again as Dom Dimello now that I think about it)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

He's been on DLM a time or two, and there was also one hilarious episode he was supposed to be on but didn't show up so Rob Riggle and Matt Besser did Andy Daly characters

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I think Daly is married with kids, which I'm sure restricts his ability to do a live show on a weeknight.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jeff Garlin is my favorite guest, he just never stops talking and I love it

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
Great episode, I love it when Garlin is on. Jeselnik's boring Tourette's crack made me lose it in public, but it was totally worth it.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Sara Silverman, Brian Posehn and Edgar Wright. Great episode but I don't think Wright needs to start officiating the Leonard Maltin game. He is way too good for it to be enjoyable.

Mantic
Oct 25, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

Sara Silverman, Brian Posehn and Edgar Wright. Great episode but I don't think Wright needs to start officiating the Leonard Maltin game. He is way too good for it to be enjoyable.

yeah, he's crazy good at the game

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah he's way too good at it, getting that one movie with -4 names... oh wait that was Sarah.

e: most of the times he is on, he gets screwed by the other two guests

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Phone posted:

Yeah he's way too good at it, getting that one movie with -4 names... oh wait that was Sarah.

e: most of the times he is on, he gets screwed by the other two guests

To be fair that category is around for how easy it is to get the negative names.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

I'm certain that you can hear Kulap Vilaysack's distinctive laughter in the background of the most recent episode with the hosts of How Did This Get Made.

Beto Rocha
Jan 2, 2010
It looks like "The 12 Guests of Christmas" episode is already available to download here: http://dlm.libsyn.com/

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Marc Maron going out first is very fitting.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

No PFT :(

I love how mean Scott is to Samm.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
here's a pic of the 12 guests Doug put up on twitter:

gives a good visual for the Jimmy/Graham height difference, big chair and all

FitFortDanga posted:

No PFT :(

if it's any consolation a new Dead Author's Podcast is up.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

plastered quack posted:

gives a good visual for the Jimmy/Graham height difference, big chair and all

if it's any consolation a new Dead Author's Podcast is up.

Saucerman really looks pleased to be there.

Honestly it seems like most guests hate being on the show. They're forced to play a dumb game and never actually get to talk about movies.

Oh wait now I've become everyone Doug hates on twitter, oops.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

God, Alison Haislip is so loving gorgeous.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

plastered quack posted:

That is the most disinterested group of funny people I think I've ever seen. The only one even trying is Kate Miccuci, and even then, it's a pretty lame smile.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shooter looks pretty content, but I had the same thought.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think I literally made the :swoon: face when Doug announced Brie Larson.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
I missed little wolverine :)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Chris Hardwick was the most insufferable rear end in a top hat on this episode, and that's impressive considering Marc Maron is on there as well.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I don't know if anyone was paying attention to the Santa Size Me contest, since nary a word of it has been spoken in this thread, but the one he chose is really frustrating. Sure, it's pretty well done, but it's so lazy. Once you get past "It's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo... but with Santa!!", you realize that every shot is "It's like that shot from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo... but with Santa!!"

Not to mention that he made fun of the one with the guy falling into the pool, but the winner only had very slightly more to do with the concept.

I know this just sounds like sour grapes. Maybe it is.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Yoshifan823 posted:

Chris Hardwick was the most insufferable rear end in a top hat on this episode, and that's impressive considering Marc Maron is on there as well.

I'm glad a lot of people jumped down his throat for that stupid complaint about the Mike/Michael Myers category.

I really don't like Chris Hardwick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sarah Silverman really got lucky there. I mean, if you know it's Valkyrie, why not go -1? Everyone knows who's the lead in that.

• Locked thread