Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

The Ape of Naples posted:

I haven't listened yet but the latest DLM sounds pretty interesting even if it's just a promo for Kulap's doc. I mean, Maron, Kumail, Kulap, and Kremer? That's a plausible lineup.

I enjoyed it, but I also love the Maron/Kumail fake rivalry. They spend a good chunk of time discussing Robin Williams, which is fantastic.

Note: the guests don't really play any games in this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Naet posted:

I enjoyed it, but I also love the Maron/Kumail fake rivalry. They spend a good chunk of time discussing Robin Williams, which is fantastic.

Note: the guests don't really play any games in this episode.

I do like the rivalry between Maron/Kumail
No games is a minus but not a big deal. Still sounds good. I'm saving it for my commute on Friday.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

I should know this, but has Sean Jordan been on the show before? The name sounds familiar, but I REALLY did not care for him in the latest plop! I was trying to figure out why the audience were laughing at his "jokes".

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Steven Segal is a great new DLM guest.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Mark Wahlberg"'s live show got put up on Earwolf.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-wahlberg-solution-live-2/

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

And if you need even more Wahlberg in your life, Daniel Van Kirk did a series of videos for the Nerdist YouTube Channel, some featuring Wahlberg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pjOJ1snc0

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I think DVK invited us for a drink

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What? NO! Training Day is with the black guy from Glory.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I knew I should have gone to the live show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

What the gently caress is wrong with Abby Elliot?

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
I haven't finished it yet, but that's a weird episode all around. None of the jokes are really landing and no one knows what the hell Abby Elliott or Jackie Kashian are talking about at any point.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I think they both got a little too high before the show.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I can't believe Doug was inviting her back at the end of the show. She was a train wreck.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

Talk about snowball effect! Most people that play the Maltin game for the first time are bad at it, but she took it to a whole new level. It was fun to listen to, though.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't listened to today's DLM but there's an amazing feeling when all the guests sound awesome.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I know a lot of people exaggerate this type of thing but I literally had to turn off today's show. I was laughing too much at work.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

"Werner Herzog" is always a treat. Seems like with 4 guests, the eps tend to be shorter.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
Abby Elliot IS a shithead.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

She got really high in front of a hundred people and didn't know the convoluted rules to a game.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
It's okay, dude. She isn't actually here.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

usb teledildonics posted:

This is a really, really good and not weird at all white knight accusation in response to polite disagreement. Very, good.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I like unintentionally or otherwise difficult guests as they mess with the shows routine

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

usb teledildonics posted:

What are your thoughts on Lorenza Izzo

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

I would actually rather Doug have Lorenza on again rather than her significant other! She's cool.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic
i thought Lorenza was cool but i thought Eli's stories about Peru were some of the most genuinely interesting things that have ever been said on DLM, when Doug kind of interjected to explain what was in the prize bag i was a little upset. I also loved how he would reference complex heady things to talk about stupid poo poo. He might be a DLM MVP.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
On paper Eli Roth seems like the kind of podcast guest I'd skip since I don't really like horror/torture movies, and he just looks like he'd be a douchebag. He won me over by being a great guest on every podcast I've heard him on this year. He has good stories, knows a lot about film history, and has a great sense of humor. I want an Eli Roth, "Werner Herzog", "Mark Wahlburg" episode so bad now.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah, it's weird Doug complains when people aren't talking about movies and when someone has good stories about making one he just shuts it down.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Trujillo posted:

Yeah, it's weird Doug complains when people aren't talking about movies and when someone has good stories about making one he just shuts it down.
I'm guessing he was trying to keep things moving, but that doesn't excuse it. Roth's stories were really interesting, and he's really good at telling them.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Roth's Bergman/Birdman joke might be the most outstanding, obscurely referential joke I've ever heard.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man I get sick of Doug throwing people under the bus.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Man I get sick of Doug throwing people under the bus.

Are you referring to the Eli Roth thing or something else?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Beeez posted:

Are you referring to the Eli Roth thing or something else?

Every time a guest is late or can't do it at the last minute or a sound guy fucks up he calls it out on the show. I'm sure it's annoying for him, but the public shaming gets on my nerves.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Every time a guest is late or can't do it at the last minute or a sound guy fucks up he calls it out on the show. I'm sure it's annoying for him, but the public shaming gets on my nerves.

To be fair, sometimes the only time a sound guy might realize there is a problem is to call them out right then and there. The show gets recorded live so all he can do is speak into the mic and see if any issue could be rectified. If a guest is late he has to let the crowd (and us podcast listeners) know in case someone shows up during the show. It helps for a quicker transition. Now, if a guest can't show up then yeah, he shouldn't bring it up. Unless it was already known who was coming but that's rare. I'd hate to be in the audience and hear "here's Graham, and Ybarra. Oh PFT was going to come but couldnt make it.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Doctor Candiru posted:

I'm guessing he was trying to keep things moving, but that doesn't excuse it. Roth's stories were really interesting, and he's really good at telling them.

Yeah this was one episode where I wished they had just skipped the games and let the guests talk.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
You should listen to the Nerdist episode with him. It's great, Chris and Jonah talk for maybe 3 minutes and the rest is just Eli.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

Ochowie posted:

Yeah this was one episode where I wished they had just skipped the games and let the guests talk.

I tend to agree. When you have guests that don't really know how to play the Maltin game, better to not have it. He's had several eps this year where he hasn't even gotten to the Maltin game and those were pretty good.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

qbert posted:

Roth's Bergman/Birdman joke might be the most outstanding, obscurely referential joke I've ever heard.

Bergman isn't obscure, you dummy!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Bergman isn't obscure, you dummy!

You have to know Bergman, Birdman, Inarritu, and the ways in which Amores Perros rips off Bergman. All of that distilled into 4 words was pretty awesome.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Does anyone know what the bleeped shithead was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
When he calls out sound guys he usually blames himself for smoking weed rather than do a sound check.

• Locked thread