Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I actually felt horrible for doing this.
Lonesome Road spoiler.
http://imgur.com/Ow28x

Somewhere, Chris Avellone sheds a single bitter tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

This all does remind me of one of the things that annoyed me about New Vegas. It's impossible to keep a secret because of that ever present 'spies' handwave. Want to work for Caesar, but keep it on the down low so you remain on NCR's good side? Nope, NCR has invisible spies and they know what you're doing. Want to work for the NCR but keep the Caesar from marking you for death? Nope, he has some drat good invisible spies too! Even if you leave absolutely no witnesses alive to report that you just butchered that random Legion guy over by Primm, Caesar magically knows, because spies.

What really annoys me is how early the cutoff point is. Oh, you don't want to wipe out the BoS? Well, you're stuck with Yes Man then because you did one too many missions for House! No NCR for you! That really burned me on my first playthrough, because you can't pull off the alliance anymore. It just seemed really arbitrary that doing one extra mission on the Strip cut me off from the other factions.

I'm also considering the Sawyer mod for my next playthrough.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

If I found Hardcore More more annoying than immersive, would it still be worth it to get Courier's Stash just so I can use the JSawyer mod? It has lots of fixes that look awesome (perk fixes, weapon durability changes, karma fixes), and lots of things I'm ambivalent about (carry weight nerf, level cap change, etc.) On one hand, no more level 40+ bulletsponge hordes, on the other, no ubergod Courier.

Any advice?

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I'm reading up on the Homemade Stimpaks from the jsawyer mod, and now I'm looking at some of the Survival consumables... DO stat penalties from medicine food really increase with your skill level? -1 PER from a Homemade Stimpak is no big deal. -3 is fairly nasty. Triple penalties for booze at high Survival levels?

I don't recall anything like this when I had high Survival on my old runs. Am I reading this wrong or has it been that way the whole time?

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I never managed to pull off any of those Dead Money tricks. They all seemed to fail for me, and ended up doing the ending as intended.

Elijah doesn't activate the barriers as soon as he walks into the room?

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Steam tells me I have 653 hours logged in New Vegas.

I just started exploring the Vegas sewers for the first time.
I never bothered going in there on any previous playthrough because I didn't have to.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

My Caravan experience is that the AI will waste all its starting Jacks killing the first cards you put down.

Loading up on 10s, Jacks and Kings helped me quite a bit.
I also have no numbered hearts in my deck, I'm not sure if having only three suits helps me at all but it seems to.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Psion posted:

Ditch Mission Mojave; I don't think you need it or really even want it. Everthing else is fine. Check out the modding thread for a more thorough once-over of your mod list though. One exception - I'm not familiar with Run the Lucky 38 so I have no idea if that's good or bad.

Can you elaborate more on skipping Mission Mojave? I'm using it because I thought it was a bug fix mod, but it seems to be stepping on jsawyer's toes no matter what order I put my mods in. My most recent weirdness was encountering Tom Anderson and having his beard be made of what looks like a tribal tattoo texture.

And yes, I'm using BOSS.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

For the first time ever I'm trying a jsawyer + Hardcore mode playthrough. I'm up to Nipton so far and my feelings are mixed.

More immersive? Yes.
More difficult? Not really.
More fun? Not sure.

I know jsawyer made some modifications to ammo weight, but it seems like I spend more time shifting supplies around to ED-E than anything else.

Does Hardcore mode appreciably affect gameplay in the late game/DLC? One of my goals was to see how this changed Dead Money. For right now, though, it just seems more like micromanagement than immersion.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure you can't make auto-inject homemade stimpaks either, that's too bad.

I'm just imagining one at high Medicine wrecking your perception at a crucial moment.

Do companions use the non-default Stimpaks if they have them in their inventory when they get hurt?

I'm so used to the jsawyer mod that I don't even want to play the game without it anymore.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Energy Weapons always lures me into the terrible trap of "Hey the Holorifle, don't need any other guns for the rest of the game."

Is it weird that with the jsawyer mod my favorite Energy Weapon is just an upgraded laser pistol?
Even once I get Pew Pew I still keep my old faithful gecko-zapper around, loaded with optimized ammo.

Then I get Finesse, Better Criticals and Laser Commander and fry centurions with it.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

JSawyer's larger explosive radius makes grenade rifles fantastically dangerous in the hands of bandits. I never cared for taking Hydra until early on in my first jsawyer/hardcore playthrough, when it saved my butt after an unlucky ambush. I now carry a few doctors bags around at all times.

It also makes dynamite a lot harder to use, since you can more easily end up inside your own blast.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Talmonis posted:

For those of you that have gone through it, what skills/SPECIAL would you recommend starting out with for the JSawyer/Hardcore playthough? I was considering doing Guns/Repair/Survival.

For my tech-nerd I took Energy Weapons, Repair and Science, so I could get things like Vigilant Recycler quickly.
Since I was cheap and took Skilled/Good Natured as traits, my survival was high enough to make basic food right off the bat.

Bloatfly sliders. Mmm.

Any weapon skill, Repair, and Survival are all good skills on Hardcore, though.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

My top two Steam games are Skyrim and New Vegas.

Skyrim leads by about 100 hours, but I'm certain I get more kicks per hour from New Vegas.

EDIT: I'm pretty close to starting BG2:EE since I bought both the Enhanced Editions on sale and am currently deciding between doing the last bit of content or just finishing BG:EE. That might end up skewing my numbers if nostalgia is any indication.

KnightLight fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 11, 2014

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Moryrie posted:

I think Lake Mead Cave is one of the most beautiful places I've explored in any game.

I've played this game so many times and I never knew that existed.

Now I wish I wasn't stuck in the Big Empty for the time being.

KnightLight fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 19, 2014

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

I think I'm stuck trying to complete For The Republic Part 2 without killing all the Great Khans. I completed Oh My Papa and convinced Papa Khan to break the allegiance with Ceasar and suicide at the final battle, but he's too stubborn to join the NCR. I can stealth kill Papa Khan in his bedroom, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on them; whenever I talk to Regis, he just asks me if I have any news and my only speech option is "Goodbye." Is there something I'm missing? I've tried reloading my previous save as well as leaving, waiting and coming back, but nothing works. Any ideas?

I think that just convincing the Khans to break the alliance with Caesar should be enough to complete For The Republic Part 2. They don't need to ally with the NCR.
Papa Khan will never ally with the NCR, that only happens if Papa Khan is dead and Regis is leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Yep, that's correct. Gun Runners' Arsenal doesn't modify the existing weapons, but instead adds new versions of them which can have weapon mods applied to them. So you need to buy the weapons labelled with (GRA) to apply those mods.

Unless you use the jsawyer mod, which replaces all weapons with their moddable versions and removes the (GRA) tag.

My courier is still carrying the laser pistol he started out with, with all the mods added.