Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Keith Atherton posted:

I've played this game to the end 25-30 times and I've never done an unarmed run. I just envision chasing multiple enemies all over the place to finish an encounter. That's the way it was is FO 1&2, anyway.

I guess with ED-E and Boone they would help out with the ranged combat and you can concentrate on the punchin'.

I'd say carry some grenades or throwing spears.

Throwing a spear so hard it decapitates a dude as he's running away will never get old on my melee character.

In other news, I really need to do a DLC for some armor. I've been on a Legion murdering kick with boone, and some weird interaction with the abandoned brotherhood facility where i clicked on the door but decided to not go in took away all my armor. So now i'm naked since i can't wear the legion armor I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Frankly posted:

I like jsawyer's reduced carry weight, the newer Fallouts really become a grind for me when I'm purposely looting everything to drag back to a merchant. I'll load up on stuff I need for survival and leave anything else I find unless it's a better gun, better food etc. My last character I played with this in mind, making a low charisma, speech and barter but high survival gunslinger type. I can totally see how this would be a pain with Energy Weapons/Explosives characters, gun ammo is so light in comparison unless I'm using a Minigun or something.

Less inventory menus, more gunfights with the local savages :v:

My main problem in the vanilla game is all the poo poo in the "aid" section because I have high survival, but i never seem to have the poo poo i need for recipes. So I know I'll use it eventually, but I hate going back and forth to a home. I'm a wanderer.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Rushing owb is the best way to break then game in an unarmed/Melee run since you get extremely good weapons 2 seconds after you start and the poison immunity removes one of the only monsters that can actually hurt you.

I decided to wait and do OWB after Honest Hearts. And man I kind of regret it. gently caress Cazadors. At least now I have infinite antivenom.

On that note. It was my first HH run and after i find the last two survivalist caves I don't think I'll do that DLC again. I just don't see much replayability in it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

itsjustdrew posted:

It's my main issue with both fallout 3 and NV that the songs are way too catchy. After months of not playing either, I'd still find myself humming one or two of the songs. Not that they're bad, but when it gets stuck in your head for days on end it's irritating.

I hadn't played either game for 3 years when I caught myself singing Big Iron. I feel like the only way to get one out of your head is to get another in there.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

grobbo posted:

I guess it might just be that the Legion are convincingly monstrous enough that the player gets a little chemical kick of righteous feeling for choosing to blast them all away every time, which basically overrides the positive feeling of finding a new location or completing a new questline.

For much the same reason, I can never bring myself to torment Dak'kon or Morte in PS:T, no matter how many times I play it - it just feels too *satisfying* to do the right thing. And I just don't get jaded with doing it.

It may lead to a bit of very occasional performative piety online ("I don't know how you can ever side with those MONSTERS. What about their civic policy?"), but it's a tribute to the quality of the storytelling, and in particular that fantastic Nipton introduction.

Honestly, the way I do it is via other playthroughs. It becomes pretty prevalent that Caesar's legion does short term evil with longterm good payouts. Everyone in there territory is fed, sheltered, and protected at minimum. Whereas NCR lets raiders freely roam in many parts of their territory. And siding with House is the dumbest thing if you're not 100% selfish.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If you look at it from a pragmatic view. If you're a man, Caesars is the best choice. Because NCR has difficulty protecting loving Brahmin barons in the middle of their territory, as well as major trade routes. House can't protect anyone outside of new vegas. There are no raiders or bandits inside Legions territory.

This doesn't condone the Legions actions, but if I lived in this lovely world I'd choose safety. That said, brotherhood would be my first choice in that regard.

And honestly, I don't think the slavery aspect is as big a deal since the NCR is full of impoverished wage-slaves. Sometimes living in worse conditions than Legion slaves. And often considered less valuable by their government. A government controlled by the rich, not wise or good intentioned people, but people who lack morality given the right profit margins.

The difference between raiders/powder gangers and the NCR is size and capital. Their size allows them to better hide the scummy poo poo they do. And their capital allows them to capture slaves(citizens) through peaceable means.

I think the best part of New Vegas is that it gets us to compare NCR, which is extremely similar to modern western governments, particularly the US. With the Legion, which is a bunch of uneducated tribals under a rapier version of an ancient civilization. Which points a finger that shows how we really haven't come very far at all compared to ancient civilizations.

I usually go NCR personally though. Their problems are fixable, legion's are not.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

NCR is a bloated and often corrupt state that is still actually civilization and doesn't intentionally abuse anyone

This is actually false. The NCR intentionally abuses and misuses people all the time. Such as using loving Mojave rangers to guard Brahmin farms deep in NCR territory. Or giving people the "option" to join the military. The other "option" usually being deathly poverty.

Another note, the NCR is trying to rebuild the old civilization. Aka, the people that created the loving apocalypse with no remorse. I mean, they aren't quite as straightforward as the Enclave, but they're setting up a structure for basically Enclave 2.0.

The only group in New Vegas that isn't a bad choice, would be the Followers.

Though. The next game going with Wild card, mentioning a powerful, benevolent, immortal ruler would be pretty awesome.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I wouldn't refer to house as benevolent really. "Not a complete rear end in a top hat" would be more appropriate.

A note on melee runs. You take full damage while in vats, unlike in 3. However, you also do double damage.

This makes slow, powerful weapons more useful in vats, since you will only need one attack to kill an enemy, spending less time getting shot. This also makes them awesome for stealth characters, since melee weapons are silenced.

Also, make war with the Legion. Their assassins will ensure a steady supply of throwing spears. And throwing spears are super useful, as well as fun.

With the repair perk that lets you use more varied weapons to repair, pool cues can repair everything. And throwing spears can be used to repair pool cues to 100% before using them.

Edit: pumping yourself with drugs to become a berserker is one of the best part of melee combat. You can also always wear heavy or medium armor too. The ranger armor from Honest Hearts being awesome. Or if you have faction less armors, your Legion assassins will hand you nice armor.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 13, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

I've done this and also grabbed a bowie knife from TLR at the start of the game, I've tried going straight into DM and OWB. All of these provide good damage weapons, none of them really address the problem of people shooting and blowing you up as you close distance to them, usually without any available cover.

Light armor with the running perk has kept me going for an entire game, no drugs either. Survival let's you heal so fast, you can face tank.

Having Ed-E helps a lot though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I still can't decide if the reason goons think any side that's not NCR is even a remotely good outcome is because a)the writing is good b) the writing is bad or C) Goons are retarded.

All outcomes of NV are bad. However, the larger NCR gets, the more chances of a people's revolution. If house or the courier fall, NV is controlled by uneducated gentry and robots. When Caesar dies, bloodbath and reversion to tribalism. NCR will keep on trucking regardless of who dies. Also lmao if something like a platinum chip set House back for 200 years, he's going to lose to NCR or his own ineptitude before he accomplishes anything of significance.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I don't, but the other option is to help the NCR Manifest Destiny everything in its path until it explodes.

If House fanboys dig Ayn Rand, NCR fanboys love Andrew Jackson.

Only one of these people is printed on currency in spite of ruining the national bank.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Look Democracy and Freedom and poo poo is all well and good in an industrialized modern nation but when you've got literal giant scorpions and deathclaws and drug crazed cannibals at your front gate you just might need some good old fashioned authoritarianism/monarchy for a few decades to stabilize things. You can weep for the Khans but the fact remains: they were a gang dealing drugs and engaging in all kinds of crimes. Same for the Kings. Same for any of the 3 Families before House got a hold of them.

It's interesting that we all hate the Boomers because they are fucklords killing people at random with artillery but for some reason we ignore the Kings' and the Khans' crimes just because they aren't happening to us directly and act like some great people got wiped out for no reason other than because House is an rear end in a top hat. Sure, we're privy to the info that Pacer is an rear end and the King wants to check him - from the NCR and House's point of view, the Kings are starting gun battles in the streets over territory.

Saying the NCR is better because it offers a better chance of people's revolution then calling goons retarded is kind of lol as gently caress. Anyway, House's expansion is dependent on the good will of the people because sure he has an army of securotrons but unless I'm missing something he can't make more on his own and he's going to need to replace broken/destroyed ones and he will need more numbers to effectively patrol larger areas. He's at least going to need human cooperation to get raw materials for more bots/ammo if he somehow has untouched automated factories.

Plus the NCR and House can co-exist; I don't think House is particularly interested in conquering huge swathes of land or toppling the NCR. He probably understands economic domination is much more important in the end and he says he needs a vibrant NCR for their $$$. It doesn't need to be some all or nothing where House wins and the NCR collapses totally.

Also assuming you're not an evil courier you're there to keep his poo poo in check, presumably. Yeah he's an megalomaniacal/narcissistic person and he definitely has personality flaws but if you're holding out for perfection I don't think any of the end game choices offer that.

Idk why the idea of the only government that has potential to change instead of collapse is silly to you?
Also, who hates the boomers? Aside from the beyond thunderdome mural crap, they have a very good post-apocalyptic viewpoint (everyone new is a threat)

Last I checked House ending indicates he has automated factories to produce infinite Securitrons without human assistance. Also he doesn't rely on goodwill, he relies on lying to and using the local population.

My main beef with House is how inept he is. He relies on a person he had shot in the head to actually accomplish his goals. He is not smart, just charismatic and lucky. Undoubtedly his space plans will end the same as the ghouls, only 100 times more catastrophic.

Even Joshua's pacifist friend would be a better leader of people.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

What? House didn't order the Courier to be shot, Benny was operating on his own, against House.
House needed the Courier to finish their delivery, and him ordering Victor to dig the Courier up and getting them to a doctor is the only reason the Courier didn't end up dying in a shallow grave.

I may just have misread what you meant, in that case, ignore this post.

He's has been shown to be a very shrewd businessman, a brilliant inventor, and very good (though evidently not good enough) at calculations, so I'd consider him to be pretty intelligent, at least in certain areas.

Anyone with normal intelligence would be able to notice and prevent benny from double crossing them.

If I recall correctly, there's some in game stuff that hints that the invention that made House rich was made by accident.

Idk, the way he's portrayed in game does not paint the picture of a particularly intelligent person in my opinion, even less so a benevolent or effective leader.

As for boomers, the dude that tells you hell pay you if you run through their artillery is the real rear end in a top hat that deserves to die.
Also lmao at people being upset for rightly being called a savage (the pc is a scavenger)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Because rivet city, new vegas, an expanding ncr, underworld, and honest hearts don't exist.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Correct, all of those are a pale shadow of what was hinted at in the original games.

So you're mad something that wasn't in 1/2 isn't in 3/NV? Particularly that there's not thriving communities in the capital(a priority bomb target) or the desert that was inhospitable before the war?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

LionYeti posted:

I head cannon fallout 3 by saying it was super targeted and infested w super mutants so rebuilding was heavily delayed

How is this head cannon when it's true of the game itself? It is weird there aren't more ghouls though since they had a heads up to get into shelter since the best coast was hit first.

And in-game there's twice as many loving mutants than people in the Capitol.

Like yeah there should be more people in town, but that's kind of just a Bethesda thing. Even in skyrim, law enforcement outnumber the citizens.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I always assumed that part of it is guns made whole again through cannibalization. Add in all the armories from the war, and if america is anything like today there are more guns and gun parts than the population pre war let alone post.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Kansas would be a great more survival oriented fallout. Multiple or one giant glowing sea (s), tons of abandoned missile silos and root cellars. Lots of possibilities for weirdly mutated mammals, make giant tunnels that are made by mutated Prairie dogs.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Turns out, everything is okay in China. :)

Now get on this nuclear powered cargo plane, you're headed to America to colonize the remains of the capitalist parasite West!

There's actually references in fo4 to the stealth tech of china. And it heavily implies that they could make stealth fields to hide entire cities. So a chunk of untouched China is very reasonable.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

The actual gameplay may be smoother in Fallout 4, but I have yet to see a game beat New Vegas in terms of enjoyment. The plot and potential options for resolution are far better, the characters are more memorable, and the world fits together much better.

The plot and its options are teenage DM style and quality, which is better than 4 yes, but it's by no means something to strive for or good quality on its own merits.
the characters are just as lifeless and forgetable as 3/4. I'd actually say more forgetable. 3 had characters easily remembered because of how obnoxious or broken they could be, and 4 makes characters visually distinct.

And lmao, the world where deathclaws can occupy an important quarry, as well as blockade the safest trade route to/from NCR to/from New vegas, and no one does anything is a world that fits together?
People say Bethesda does theme parks, but have you ever been to one? The cool and interesting rides are deep inside, past a bunch of other lesser rides and activities to coerce you to go to those. A lot like how You're expected to follow a specific route to get to New Vegas.

Like, i love New Vegas, but treating it as the peak of gaming when it got beat the year before and the year it came out in various fashions is overzealous. Especially "I have yet to see a game beat New Vegas in terms of enjoyment", like come on, there are tons of games that play better, look better and feel better. And there's even quite a few games that are better written.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
^ah yes, the old I'm not going to pay attention to actual criticism due to my fanaticism routine. Yes, a broken npc is more memorable than a boring npc, in a good way no, but still more memorable, which was the criteria. Welcome to reading class in 3rd grade.

Gobblecoque posted:

Are you asking if an occupying army that's barely holding on against guys in football gear would have trouble clearing out a group of the most dangerous creatures in the wasteland?

Because uh, it probably would.

An occupying army that has access to the best conventional weaponry around, as well as flight capabilities and a will to throw bodies at problems that effect the wealthy. They aren't cazadores.
Tell a brahmin baron you can't get them stone for their bust. Boom, you have funding and weaponry.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Raygereio posted:

The deathclaws overran the quarry just before the game starts. Sure, the NCR has the capability to get rim of the deathclaws if it thinks that's a good investments of its resources.
But it basically didn't have time to do that yet. And if they had, then there's the stuff Eiba mentioned above.

The main problem here is routes to not only trade, but supply your own army. With the deathclaws there, they have to either go through the mountains or go through contested territory. I understand overextension, but supply lines are super important to militaries and trade routes are very important to the people funding the military. At the very least it should have been an NCR quest, but in game they do not give a poo poo that they're crippling themselves.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I could see where New Vegas might not work for people with a congenital inability to notice subtext. Where would the troops to clear the deathclaws come from? The camp in Vegas fighting a campaign against the fiends? The stations having to stay alert lest the Legion pick them off, which happens to one? The base securing contact to the rest of the NCR that's overwhelmed enough they've had to shut down the road and are hunkered down? The dam, which is the front line if anything big goes down? No, it's going to have to rely on outside aid. The world's consistent and provides enough information to see that if you care to look.

Says the person that didn't notice the explicit statement that they're run thin because of brahmin barons. It's almost like if they were functioning human beings they'd make it important to the barons.

Also, they don't even rely on outside aid and do not react to the player helping them out. But yeah, pretend I don't notice subtext instead of admitting that there's some pretty sloppy writing.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I couldn't finish tale of two wastelands a few months ago because it was so finicky.

I couldn't finish TTW because I honestly cannot stand even tweaked NV gameplay long enough for two games. Jsawyer also makes Zeta super hard due to reduced healing.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Johnny Landmine posted:

Ugh, yes. I liked the characters a lot but I think I'll be skipping it on future playthroughs. I found that trying to sneak was more of a pain than just running up, jumping into VATS and unloading into Ghost Person heads until a crit put them out of commission, but even that was a drag. Maybe it'd have been less tedious if I'd gone in at a lower level; one of the most common criticisms I hear of NV DLC in general is the enemies are bullet sponges at higher levels. And it turns out the real treasure of the Sierra Madre is the friendships you made along the way

I'm coming towards the end of Honest Hearts now. While it's made less of an overall impression on me than Dead Money (for better or worse), it has a side story told through terminal entries that are well worth hunting down and Graham is a really interesting character.

I love Honest Hearts because it has no padding. You can go in, do the main quest while completing sidequests along the way, and be out. Its like the opposite of the Big Mountain, where its just a bunch of disconnected dungeons and a wet fart main story.(its still fun, but not because of the story)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Oh yeah, originally came in here to say how i love the faction armor, though sometimes its stupid.

Boone: If the NCR has a problem with you, i have a problem with you.
*put on ranger armor from a hit squad*
Boone: Help me murder my wife's seller.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kumaton posted:

Seriously. Stop bitching about unexpected gameplay changes and enjoy the fact that Obsidian managed to turn something on the Gamebryo engine into a survival horror.

Gamebryo is itself a survival horror engine. You must do everything you can to prevent the game from destroying you and your character.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've always wondered why they didn't crop this pic more.

The way it is now just makes it look like people arbitrarily chose to gather in a mob in front of some dilapidated buildings in the middle of nowhere.

That said, I'd have loved if Freeside was closer to this, even though I know it could never have happened in Gamebryo.

Actually, doesn't Fallout 4 and Skyrim: SE support having way more active NPCs in the same place?

Way more in relative terms yes. But it's still "not-gamebryo" so nothing like hundreds on consoles or middling PCs.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I did but she wouldn't put it on. Better get a mod.

Was it one of the 2 dresses she'll wear?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

Vault 11 is on the nose reference to Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery." This is one reason why I think that Obsidian stands above other developers. Their principals/former principals have an education and experience beyond games and nerd culture. Sawyer is a history major; Avellone English. George Ziets and Gonzalez get less credit than they deserve, I think, but looking them up their educations are in psychology and English respectively. It really shows in the thought and scope that's evident in all their games.

That would explain why Avellone's writing is so ridiculous and still bland. Formal writing education is the death of the art.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

2house2fly posted:

It's very difficult to gimp yourself, unarmed/melee are pretty overpowered(you'll absorb some shots but you'll punch out enemies pretty drat quick) and you'll find plenty of decent weapons. I recommend pumping your Endurance up to 9 so you can take more hits, and lowering your Perception and Charisma. Don't raise any stat above 9, because there's a shop where you can get your stats upgraded, and don't raise your Strength above 7 if you got the DLCs. If you didn't get the DLCs, get the DLCs.

I think it should be noted that aside from edge cases like stealth attacks or the last enemy(for style), vats is a terrible idea with melee in New Vegas. You stand still while getting shot for slower attack animation and take full damage throughout. As opposed to 3 and 4 where damage is mitigated during vats.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Tbf that all sounds like operation Anchorage.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The problem with Honest Hearts is that the Ranger terminals outshine the main dlc.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The main problem with Honest Hearts is that the main plot is so short and shallow. Like three trips between the two camps, and you are ready to end the DLC, if you wish.

IDK, after the tedium of Old World Blues, the shortness of Honest Hearts was much appreciated.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah but that's only for a repeat playthrough when you know what you're doing. And honestly while I enjoy Honest Hearts, I don't find it replayable like say OWB. Mainly because the loot, unless you're a guns character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Who knows. Until they capped the frame-rate of the PC version you could run around, as long as you got a good frame-rate and looked down: https://clips.twitch.tv/AmusedColdKimchiEagleEye

I'm going to assume that since Bethesda games are very poorly optimized, looking down will still make you run faster because you'll hit the framerate cap vs whatever lovely number the game gives you when you're looking at it.