Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you're a long time fan, all you need to know is New Vegas is the real sequel to Fallout 1 and 2. If you were sad about losing Van Buren, many parts of it survive in New Vegas. It's also just awesome as poo poo and better than Fallout 3 in every way. And I liked 3, I'm not a hater.

New Vegas is the real Fallout 3 and Bethesda's 3 is a spinoff that's not bad but doesn't seem to understand what it's trying to do most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why do goons and gamers seem to have so much trouble with the concept "not as good as ≠ bad".

I've often wondered this myself. I've never been able to figure out an answer. Fallout 3 is a solid six or seven, it's not bad by any stretch. It just happens to be surrounded by nines and tens.

It's an internet-wide problem. Movies, TV, books, they all get the same treatment. Something is great or poo poo, there is no middle ground.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Did you try again immediately after? Usually it crashes right away the first time I try, but works the second.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The GRA challenges are great. I can't be the only one who already did A Slave Obeys, Nyah! See? and Talk About Owned my first playthrough, before they were actually a thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

My sentiments exactly. Arcanum is possibly my favorite game too, but holy poo poo is it aggressively unhelpful.

Aggressively unhelpful is an amazing description of that game. It took me four or five tries to get into it and I'm a hardcore RPG fan. Totally worth it.

If anybody here hasn't heard of Arcanum, it's a very Fallouty (original games) steampunk RPG that you should go play.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone who thinks the Legion destroyed Nipton because of prostitutes was not paying attention at all. It was about them being duplicitous and Cato's views on morality. And it was to send a message.

Rope kid's said a few times that what we see of the Legion is not exactly representative of the whole society, and it's a flaw in the game that we never really get to see the lands they rule, only a deployed army.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Node posted:

What's up with OWB and spawn rates? Just a minute ago I paused my game (pressed escape) and when I unpaused it, two nightstalkers actually spawned right in front of me, five feet away. Is it supposed to be this much?

Yeah that happens. Somebody majorly hosed up designing the spawns in OWB, there are way too many and it'll happily drop three lobotomites out of thin air in front of you. Fortunately the rest is awesome so we can overlook it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Node posted:

This is becoming a problem and I'm running out of ammo for my energy weapons. I brought all my ammo over from the Mojave, too. The Sink vendor doesn't sell any of it, and being forced to run from a group of lobotomites with brush guns is really hurting.

Yep! I spent more ammo there than anywhere else. Try to take out the less threatening enemies like the roboscorpions with a proton axe. Even if your skill sucks it does reasonable damage.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

There's running water all over the Mojave, even in rather remote locations, it stands to reason there's be even more advanced plumbing and infrastructure farther west.

Part of the problem is people aren't used to the timeline advancing in games. Fallout 1 was straight up post apocalyptic, but by New Vegas, at least in the core region, things are more post-postapocalyptic. Civilization has begun returning, there are probably parts of the NCR where life isn't much harder than it is in a developing country in the modern world. Except the occasional swarm of giant radioactive scorpions.

I'm not sure if I like it that way, I do miss the original Fallout 3's core concept of time is passing in the wasteland, but things just keep getting worse because people are assholes who won't stop fighting over the scraps of the old world to build a new one.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 7, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I like that civilization is developing and some things are actually better by the late 23rd century than they are now.

Yeah, they both have their advantages and stories to tell, I just like the nasty uncivilized ones more. Nice thing is that civilization is limited to such a small area, so there's plenty of room for poo poo to be terrible in other spots and do both kinds of games and stories.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kharmakazy posted:

I never go energy weapons because I don't think any of them are silent or even have silencers. I would think they could find a way to shoot a beam of light quietly.

It wouldn't be much of a pew-pew laser if it didn't pew-pew.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Saiko Kila posted:

What? All these vehicles were being driven over 200 years before the story starts. Now NCR guys drive only brahmins, if so.

NCR has lots of functioning vehicles. It's in the backstory stuff of the Fallout Bible, I believe the ratio they were using was one vehicle for every 1500 people or something. Hell, the NCR has brand new railroad tracks built into the Mojave in the game, so they obviously have some trains operating.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

How far advanced is the NCR inside its core cities anyway? I've heard it compared to our real world state of living, but no idea where people are getting the info from.

It's not clear. But Shady Sands itself was totally clean and built up in Fallout 2, we know the NCR has about a million people and a lot of territory. They can maintain an air force and an extended military expedition outside their borders, they beat the Brotherhood of Steel in a war, they have newly manufactured technology, and NPCs in New Vegas talk some about the state of the country. It's not as safe as Legion territory but it doesn't sound too bad. If the NCR has the resources to go imperialist conquering, even with its field armies stretched thin and the expense being a drain on the country, it still implies that they're doing reasonably well. If it were lovely they wouldn't have been able to afford the attempt at conquering the Mojave in the first place. Also, it's mentioned that tourists travel the 15 to Vegas to gamble, so that wealth and leisure time implies things can't be too bad in California.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rivet City is the most sensible settlement in 3. Nice and safe from enemies and the elements. Vulnerable to someone with a lot of explosives who just wants to blow it up instead of invade but you'd have that problem anywhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's part of why Fallout 3 felt like it was just after the war, not 200 years later. If some of the obviously retarded poo poo like Megaton being next to a bomb instead of in the perfectly good town a hundred feet to the left was eliminated, and the game was set in 2107, the design would've worked better.

You can at least blame part of it on DC obviously being nuked more than most places, but even with that it didn't really work.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Scorchy posted:

I hated it cause it was claustrophobic but I guess that's intentional.

The level design had issues, it was really easy to get lost. I always ended up walking through the whole drat city by the time I found everything I was looking for. I was just talking about it making sense though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

How viable would an explosives only run be? The only thing I'm guessing you should look out for is friendlies getting caught in your explosions.

Also, I might add that Esther+Big Kid nuke+100 Explosives Skill+Splash Damage = One nuked Courier. No matter have far away I fire the thing, I always end up crippling my legs and lose 50-75% of my HP.

It's doable. Likely you'll want a gun anyway, ammo can be hard to come by, especially early on. And forget about hardcore, explosive ammo weighs way too much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I love that they're all connected, tell a story, they clearly put a ton of effort into them instead of just cashing in, and they all have a distinct feeling that's different from that of the main game. It's the best set of DLC I've ever seen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

YOURFRIEND posted:

I personally use vats because seeing people's heads explode/pop off in slow motion never gets old.

The "no poo poo" combat messages are my favorites.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I loving can't believe that the only way to get the lucky shades is the Legion safehouse.

I guess if you're NCR...

... you're out of luck.

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You have to consider how bad life is in the wasteland normally. Not for the Magic Player Character, but the average person. Living in Legion territory is better than living in Arizona prior to the Legion. Is it better than living in the center of the NCR? Probably not, but we have every reason to believe the NCR is an anomaly. Most places are worse than that.

Also living in Legion territory is not the same thing as being in the Legion. Sawyer's forumspring has had a bunch of Legion stuff lately, stuff that either people ignored, misinterpreted, or had to be cut from the game. From what he's posted I think it's pretty clear that there are little towns all over Legion territory who basically just don't gently caress with the Legion, pay their taxes or whatever, and get left alone as long as they continue not causing trouble. They don't enslave everybody.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sawyer also had a post where he said the Legion's grey, but intentionally a pretty dark grey. I think that's a fair way of looking at them. My impression is a lot of people never talked to Caesar or did the Legion playthrough, so they missed the complexities and just assumed the poo poo Lanius or some of the minor Legion characters say was what everyone in the Legion thinks. Once you talk to Caesar things get a lot more complicated.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If my Fallout characters are based on me, I should be in prison.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Galewolf posted:

The goon favorite Planescape: Torment and -to some degree- Fallout 2 have this too. Both are made by ex Black Isle now Obsidian teams/designers so there is a pattern here. Reasoning/Intimidating/Lying the poo poo out of final bosses is awesome.

The original Fallout has the first case I know of where you can reason the final boss to death. I believe Arcanum might, I actually got like 95% of the way there and never finished but it felt like that'd be an option. KOTOR2 has instances where you can do it too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

rope kid posted:

For a while we joked around that we should have something at Mojave Outpost where you can ask Major Knight to let you go back to NCR. He would say something like, "Well, okay, but we can't let you back through." "Sounds good."

*roll credits*

That would've been awesome, you guys should've done it. The ultimate gently caress this noise option.

redmercer posted:

I pretty much hate everything about the movies, even though it is a fairly interesting universe (that Lucas failed to do anything interesting with.) Is it still worth playing?

Yeah. KOTOR2 is a better story than any of the movies. The whole premise of the game is basically "the Force is stupid and George Lucas is stupid" and it goes from there. It's great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Since we're all a bunch of Obsidian fanboys round these parts, I think it's appropriate to share here.

They're working on a SOUTH PARK game

edit:thread

What in the mother of gently caress is going on here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Talk to the owner of the hotel in Novac.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arbitrary Coin posted:

So uh, I've read comments about how Caesar describing the Legion's purposes and long term goals is one of the most interesting conversations in the game, so how do you get to this?

Go there and exhaust the conversation trees. He lays the whole thing out for you. I don't know if it matters how much the Legion likes you at the time, my first playthrough was Legion-aligned and my next one I didn't talk to him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The armor looks pretty much like you'd expect trying to replicate lorica segmentata with football gear. The pronunciation and language is accurate as far as I remember. I was very pleased with the Legion, it's not Rome but it's recognizably Roman and much of what they do is lifted right from history. My most pleasing Rome moment in the game was after talking to Vulpes at Nipton and seeing what the Legion did, I thought that Caesar must be a big fan of Cato. Then Arcade brings up the exact same point later and Caesar talks about it too. Very nicely done.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Exactly. One of the pieces of writing I really liked in F3 was the completely garbled history of the United States you get from the dude in Rivet City. I love that there's enough for people to have an idea of the old world but nobody really knows, so they're always off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It depends on the amount of destruction and the timeframe I guess. There is a fair amount of old world stuff still around in the Fallout apocalypse, and it hasn't been an incredibly long time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Often they are. But Skyrim was much more stable and overall better optimized than any Gamebryo game.

I was going to say, Fallout 3 wasn't that bad and I honestly don't remember having any issues with Skyrim. I'm cautiously optimistic Bethesda may have gotten their poo poo together when it comes to QA.

Though Bethesda games also have the most hilarious bugs so it would be a loss.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fallout 3 did a lot of incompetent rehashing of 1 and 2. I mean the plot is basically exactly the same as 2 with some names and locations changed. I'm hoping they did that to get new people into the setting and they'll be more interesting with 4.

I still enjoyed 3 but it's the weakest of the four games.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A pre-war Canadian oppression simulator.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

To be fair, with Dead Money and Old World Blues Obsidian showed that society was either on the brink of or just entering post-scarcity with those vending machines, holograms, food cloning and advanced materials.

That's one of my favorite little bits in Fallout lore, it's been there from the beginning. The Great War happened over oil, while portable fusion had just been invented. If the US and China had been able to keep it together for like ten more years none of this would have ever happened.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Pretty sure the European Alliance and the Middle East nuked and destroyed each other right before China and the USA had their Great War, and with all the massive nuclear fallout storms going round the world from so many nukes, even places not touched directly by nuclear warheads (Say, Africa, probably got irradiated and suffered mass loss of life.

Yeah, Europe was hosed before the Great War even happened. They had a small nuclear war with the ME, after many years of conventional war. It would be awesome if Sawyer's tactical game in pre-war Europe ever happened.

I wonder about the southern hemisphere. Australia/NZ might've gotten off light, South Africa, Argentina, Chile. There's not really any reason any of them would've been involved in the war. But Fallout nukes don't follow real science so who knows.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't think a utopian idealism faction is out of place, though. They reminded me a little of the utopianism that came out of World War 1 as a reaction to the new unimaginable horror that war unleashed.

I mean their base idea seems to be "Hey, you know with the nuclear apocalypse thing, let's not do that again" which I think most people could agree on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

Didn't House kind of do that himself already? Like, even if you do his ending, his life support system is what it is.

He can interact with the world through his computer systems though. His body is trapped but his mind is free. It's not the same as cutting him off from the computer to just sit there in a pod, isolated forever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zzulu posted:

From what I remember of F3 release trailer it was just a fuckin bombed out bus and nothing else.

And a dude in powered armor. But yeah that trailer was entirely reliant on HOLY poo poo FALLOUT IS BACK JESUS CHRIST

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Scyantific posted:

This is probably true.

That's what Van Buren did for its tutorial section so the idea has precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't see any Brotherhood of Steel in the trailer, did I miss something? I would imagine they're in somewhere because Bethesda is bad with ideas but I'm assuming all that crazy tech and airships and poo poo is the Institute.

And I guess to be fair the Brotherhood would want to take over the Institute if they knew about it. Maybe they'll actually be dicks in this game like they're supposed to be.