Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

RAGE was pretty and I even liked elements of the 'story'. The gun play is still unparalleled years later, but I'll be pretty goddamn mad if they shove anything that uses baked megatextures down our throats. Not only because of the hideous size:content ratio (RAGE was a pretty small/short game that's 25GB in size), you can't mod it, and there's just a lot of bullshit reasons you'd kind of want Bethesda to keep pushing their catch-all action RPG engine. Skyrim isn't the prettiest but it isn't ugly, and I don't believe there's a good reason to gently caress around with what works, we don't even know what that engine can do, because so much of Skyrim, F3, and New Vegas had to be built around what the xbox 360 and PS3 could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

Someone, Cirosan, I believe, made a mod that reintegrated him as a companion, using stuff from Lonesome Road. Check the modding thread.

From a few pages ago. That would indeed be Cirosan. That man does amazing things when his self esteem cooperates.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

hemophilia posted:

I don't believe there's a good reason to gently caress around with what works,

Of course there is, never mind that describing Bethesda's games, which are routinely rife with severe bugs at release as 'working'.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Of course there is, never mind that describing Bethesda's games, which are routinely rife with severe bugs at release as 'working'.

I'd rather they develop the skyrim engine more. That's all I meant. Speaking literally, bethesda's games ship in a non-functional state. Of course. Still, Id Tech 5 is pretty but if they go down that route the trade off will probably be too much, and make dealing with Bethesda's lovely QA not a matter of modding a band-aid on top of it, but hoping Bethesda deign to fix the bullshit bugs in a future patch.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 18, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dan Didio posted:

Often they are. But Skyrim was much more stable and overall better optimized than any Gamebryo game.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

hemophilia posted:

I'd rather they develop the skyrim engine more. That's all I meant. Speaking literally, bethesda's games ship in a non-functional state. Of course. Still, Id Tech 5 is pretty but if they go down that route the trade off will probably be too much, and make dealing with Bethesda's lovely QA not a matter of modding a band-aid on top of it, but hoping Bethesda deign to fix the bullshit bugs in a future patch.
I agree. Bethesda RPGS present an open world where the majority of characters visible to the player, give the illusion of having their own lives, and quests are seamlessly added to the world as opposed to the GTA system where there is a clear distinction between mission and world. There's also the fact of how modifiable the game is. I do not want to lose these things, and I think Bethesda doesn't want to lose those things. If they could keep all of these things in ID Tech 5 or in some other engine, they probably would have but the fact is that they don't actually know and it might be a crapshoot. Refining the resources you already have is a better idea for the things that seem non-negotiable.

EDIT: And poo poo, we can roll our eyes at marketing all we want, but the radiant quest system in Skyrim is interesting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

steinrokkan posted:

Often they are. But Skyrim was much more stable and overall better optimized than any Gamebryo game.

I was going to say, Fallout 3 wasn't that bad and I honestly don't remember having any issues with Skyrim. I'm cautiously optimistic Bethesda may have gotten their poo poo together when it comes to QA.

Though Bethesda games also have the most hilarious bugs so it would be a loss.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man, the main positive thing people have to say about Bethesda's games is that you can fix most of their problems with mods. No way are they going with a less moddable engine next time around.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't think they will, either. But, to be honest, as someone who has played all of Bethesda's 'modern' games on both console and modded on PC, I'd take a better base game over one with mods everytime. Because I'm a crazy person.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Basically Bethesda needs to hurry up and get Fallout 4 done so ropekid and Obsidian can make another entry in Fallout: The Good Series.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Pope Guilty posted:

Basically Bethesda needs to hurry up and get Fallout 4 done so ropekid and Obsidian can make another entry in Fallout: The Good Series.

Do people really think this is guaranteed to happen? I mean it's not unlikely that Obsidian will be given another shot at Fallout again, but it's far from a definite thing that they will.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I had a lot of fun with Fallout 3. It doesn't really hold up compared to New Vegas but even today I can go back to it and have tons of fun. It's not a bad game, it's just bad compared to FONV.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Epi Lepi posted:

Do people really think this is guaranteed to happen? I mean it's not unlikely that Obsidian will be given another shot at Fallout again, but it's far from a definite thing that they will.
It's not guaranteed, and to be honest it's probably not even likely- how often does Bethesda outsource development like that?- but god drat it I can hope!

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Are there many other publishers who outsource development of a franchise title to a secondary party? I'm not very familiar with many other game series to know if that is a regular thing. I would assume that Bethesda considers New Vegas a success, but I'm not sure what their internal benchmarks are for those kinds of things. Where the hell is that 'paging Ropekid' button I requested...

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah F3 was awesome and FNV was awesomer.

I think what Bethesda did well was create a world that was :smith: personified. Travelling around that game was pretty drat melancholic and looking back I think that was quite a brave thing to do at the time. As an aside I see that it was released a few weeks after the credit crisis kicked off back in 2008, just in time to cheer everyone up again.

New Vegas is by and large a much more positive experience, which was a welcome change from F3's unrelenting atmosphere. I really don't think I could have took another 100+ hours of general dispair, but I enjoyed FNV more for having gone through that.

So my first hope for F4 is that it doesn't dial everything back to "We're Screwed" again. Also drop the muddy green filter, Christ.

graynull posted:

Are there many other publishers who outsource development of a franchise title to a secondary party? I'm not very familiar with many other game series to know if that is a regular thing. I would assume that Bethesda considers New Vegas a success, but I'm not sure what their internal benchmarks are for those kinds of things. Where the hell is that 'paging Ropekid' button I requested...

Treyarch and the COD series is the most obvious one I'd say. Although feels kind of wrong invoke that name near this series.

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013

razorrozar posted:

Honestly, I had a lot of fun with Fallout 3. It doesn't really hold up compared to New Vegas but even today I can go back to it and have tons of fun. It's not a bad game, it's just bad compared to FONV.

I believe new vegas is just better to look at, it has a bit more of an upbeat atmosphere, well as upbeat as you can get in a post apocalyptic world and you can easily get lost and immersed in that world. I feel it's more polished than Fallout 3 and found it harder to get immersed in the world but that again might be showing the age of Fallout 3 as again Fallout 3 was an excellent game when it first came out as far as I can remember.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Maybe your ability to get lost in a world is increased if the world seems a nice enough place to get lost in. Yeah, all exploration will get you 9/10 times is cazadors, death claws and radscorpians, but there might be a nice little community right around the corner. Like the Super Mutant Ski Lodge.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fwoderwick posted:

So my first hope for F4 is that it doesn't dial everything back to "We're Screwed" again. Also drop the muddy green filter, Christ.
I'm optimistic on this front. First, I hope Bethesda got their "immediate aftermath of the bomb" urges out of their system somewhat after inappropriately shoehorning that stuff into 3. It's all well and good to have a housewife who refuses to believe things are poo poo and acts like she's still in a picturesque 1950s house- that's a legitimately good sad/comedic character... except when you're saying that character was born at least a century after the bombs fell it's kind of just dumb and a sign you're not taking your own setting seriously (which could be fine with enough style, but I like New Vegas style coherent settings better).

So hopefully Bethesda themselves are more interested in looking at what happens well after the apocalypse, and not just how the immediate survivors react.

Also, New Vegas was successful. If I remember right it sold just about as well as 3, even though it was kind of a "spinoff" game using the same engine, and didn't have the novelty of Fallout 3 to a general audience. And not just in sales- I think anyone can see that New Vegas did a lot of things right in terms of their plot and setting. I think it would be more than reasonable to expect that Bethesda would look at New Vegas and see what can be done in a modern Fallout game, and apply those lessons to 4.

I think the most obvious lessons have to do with moral ambiguity and player choice. Moral ambiguity works well with the setting, and it doesn't mean you have to give up having good "villains" like Caesar's legion, which are pretty clearly bad, but not unsympathetically bad. And flawed "good guys" on the other side are way more interesting than knights in shining powerarmor. People talk about the NCR and have vigorous debates about if their good points make up for their flaws, and if they're ultimately going to be a destructive or constructive force. People talk about the DC Brotherhood and they talk about how they were written- too perfect and boring. They don't talk about the world, they talk about how it was written.

As for player choice, if you're going to pretend like you're giving the player a choice, meaningful choices are more fun than a "lol-evil" psychopath side option that the rest of the game does its best to ignore (though I guess you can keep those in, 'cause they can indeed be fun). Meaningful choice is pretty inexorably linked with moral ambiguity- the setting needs to allow for a two reasonable people to approach the same situation in different ways.

Honestly, those kinds of things weren't too strongly linked with the Fallout franchise before New Vegas. I can look at the worlds of Fallout 1 and 2, especially the Enclave in 2, and see how Bethesda got 3's story out of that. I hope that New Vegas is a nice strong precedent in the explicitly more choice-oriented, morally ambiguous kind of world that Bethesda might look back at and use for inspiration.

The other big thing I enjoyed in New Vegas was the fact that every town had a water source. That kind of nearly pointless attention to detail was the product of a design philosophy that wanted to make a coherent world. Honestly, if Fallout 4 lacks that kind of detail, I won't be heartbroken. It's kind of an aesthetic thing that would make the world feel a lot better. I don't have too much faith in Bethesda to even attempt to pull something like that off though. (Though props to them for the dozens of otherwise pointless farms and other economic details in Skyrim- that did indeed do a lot to pull the world together.)

So yeah, I'd honestly expect Bethesda to do a lot better than 3 with 4. I'm not going to dare hope they do better than New Vegas, but I'm optimistic in general.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Not just water sources but food sources and everything else.

That lack of attention to detail in FO4 wouldn't heart break me, but mostly because I have no expectations. I'd probably enjoy Beth's Fallout 4, but mostly through the magic of lowered expectations and substituting the name as "Elder Scrolls: Apocalypse".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fwoderwick posted:

I think what Bethesda did well was create a world that was :smith: personified. Travelling around that game was pretty drat melancholic

I actually preferred 3 over New Vegas for a long time because of that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just want a drat Fallout game where you can eat food items and have them actually be worth the health you gain back. In basically every Fallout game thus far I've relied almost entirely on Stimpaks because they're so OP compared to normal foodstuffs.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Byzantine posted:

I actually preferred 3 over New Vegas for a long time because of that.

I think the biggest reason I like 3 over NV was because I'm a huge fan of exploring giant decaying cities, also a big reason why Last of Us was a hit for me. Basically I'm saying I want to have this game set in like California or something with LA or San Fransisco as the setting.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I want radiant quests that send you to all those unused, near worthless locales they like to add (Corvega Factory, Alexandria Arms, pretty much the entirety of Takoma Park and L'Enfant...heck most of the DC Ruins), and a modifiable UI instead of the extremely inflexible Pipboy interface.

Also make the settlements feel lived in. There were only four such settlements in Fallout 3 that I remember, and those were Megaton, Rivet City, Underworld and Tenpenny Tower.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I don't see why Zenimax wouldn't give Obsidian another shot at a Fallout game, provided that they believe Obsidian can make a worthy Fallout game. Zenimax doesn't hate money and Bethesda will be busy with TES6 after FO4.

Smol fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 19, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Apart from the weak storytelling and less fleshed out mechanics, the Capital Wasteland's huge size was both its strength, and its weakness. On the plus side, it really feels dangerous and desolate, given the distance between hub areas. I liked that the Mojave felt lived in, but going out on a journey would never get me lost. At the same time, though, the Capital Wasteland feels repetitive, and even the supposedly inhabited zones can come off as a bit dead (example: Canterbury Commons.) Most likely because making such a massive game world gave the developers less time to refine each location and make it interesting and believable.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I just want a drat Fallout game where you can eat food items and have them actually be worth the health you gain back. In basically every Fallout game thus far I've relied almost entirely on Stimpaks because they're so OP compared to normal foodstuffs.

Have there been any games that have treated food and water as anything other than just small health potions?

The closest I can think of was the Realms of Arkania series where your characters would easily get the flu and possibly die if they didn't eat properly and have dry clothes to wear.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vakal posted:

Have there been any games that have treated food and water as anything other than just small health potions?

The closest I can think of was the Realms of Arkania series where your characters would easily get the flu and possibly die if they didn't eat properly and have dry clothes to wear.

The Exila games, which you may know in their remade form as Avernum, had food items that you used to heal, and separate "food rations" that you had to keep with you or starve to death. The first game was kinda tough because they start you with no food and if you don't find some or don't realize it's a mechanic you starve to death without getting to do anything.

There's also NV's Hardcore mode.+
-

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Food can be very useful, but it requires hardcore mode I think? Maybe I'm thinking of rebalance (CCO or Jsawyer, probably) that made it much more useful. I do know that cooked foods and campfire recipes can supplant stimpacks almost. Food can also heal you faster by eating many different things at once. I think Survival may also increase food gains too.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Tamayachi posted:

I think the biggest reason I like 3 over NV was because I'm a huge fan of exploring giant decaying cities, also a big reason why Last of Us was a hit for me. Basically I'm saying I want to have this game set in like California or something with LA or San Fransisco as the setting.

San Francisco was already a city in a Fallout game. It was thriving and unruined. But it was kind of painfully racist and featured some of lamer pop culture jokes.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

prometheusbound2 posted:

San Francisco was already a city in a Fallout game. It was thriving and unruined. But it was kind of painfully racist and featured some of lamer pop culture jokes.

This made me realize that it has been far too long since I've last played FO 1 or 2, something I need to fix right away.

As for a setting, I wouldn't be adverse to playing a far north setting, something like Seattle or Tacoma with some Canada mixed in for flavor. Or anything in Europe.

A European Fallout could be like a reboot since they could slide away from the 50's-60's decor and go with something new...

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I've always wanted to see a Fallout game set in China, but considering how China loses it whenever the country is depicted in a bad light in media, it's a no go.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I wouldn't say San Francisco was unruined. It did get hit, and the San Francisco you see isn't exactly the bright and shining city we know. Like most Fallout settlements, it's a bunch of lovely and grungy buildings. I think anyone who went from San Fran to Vegas would probably be pretty impressed. As cool as it is to get big ruined cities to explore, I think I prefer the idea that most of the major cities are like the Boneyard. I was okay with DC as hitting it would be more of a symbolic target than anything else as it's not really a big city and they apparently nuked the president to oblivion. But seeing a city like New York with still standing buildings would be a nice aesthetic, but go a bit against how devastating the bombs were supposed to be.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I wouldn't say San Francisco was unruined. It did get hit, and the San Francisco you see isn't exactly the bright and shining city we know. Like most Fallout settlements, it's a bunch of lovely and grungy buildings. I think anyone who went from San Fran to Vegas would probably be pretty impressed. As cool as it is to get big ruined cities to explore, I think I prefer the idea that most of the major cities are like the Boneyard. I was okay with DC as hitting it would be more of a symbolic target than anything else as it's not really a big city and they apparently nuked the president to oblivion. But seeing a city like New York with still standing buildings would be a nice aesthetic, but go a bit against how devastating the bombs were supposed to be.

They should do a "New New York" style thing where the top layer is a rebuilt city to explore but you can dive below to the ruins of nuked New York for adventure.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want to see Dog Town, Colorado. I imagine it would look almost like the Pitt but instead of slaves in the lower levels, there's an endless horde of dogs tearing apart whatever they find.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Really, what I want is to see an area caught in perpetual nuclear winter.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Eiba posted:

As for player choice, if you're going to pretend like you're giving the player a choice, meaningful choices are more fun than a "lol-evil" psychopath side option that the rest of the game does its best to ignore (though I guess you can keep those in, 'cause they can indeed be fun). Meaningful choice is pretty inexorably linked with moral ambiguity- the setting needs to allow for a two reasonable people to approach the same situation in different ways.
I think one of the main pitfalls of moral choice systems is that they rarely feel like they have any moral weight behind them. Aside from the choices usually boiling down to "hippy v. racist thug," the two choices usually end up in about the same place. There's rarely any price to be paid for doing the "right" thing (at most doing the evil choice will give you a bit more money, often in a game where there's more than enough of that to go around), or any real expediency to doing the "wrong" thing, reducing the issue to whether or not the player is in the mood to be a gratuitous dickbag. Doing the right thing should foreclose the possibility of getting awesome loot, and not in a "you'll make it up and then some later" way, make you take long ways around through hard enemies, and in some cases fail to work at all because the underlying situation just wasn't amenable to feel-good solutions. Otherwise it's just choosing between red and blue. New Vegas is better at this than most games, since the "good" solutions are often going to require a skill check that the player may not have until higher levels if they aren't building to pull off that sort of thing, although it's still a fairly low hurdle to clear.

SpookyLizard posted:

Food can be very useful, but it requires hardcore mode I think? Maybe I'm thinking of rebalance (CCO or Jsawyer, probably) that made it much more useful. I do know that cooked foods and campfire recipes can supplant stimpacks almost. Food can also heal you faster by eating many different things at once. I think Survival may also increase food gains too.
Desert Salads and Black Blood Sausages are by far the best healing items in the game. Survival does boost how much HP/sec you get from food items, although in many cases that means going from 1/sec to 2/sec once you get up to 100 survival. Stimpacks weigh nothing, though, so it's a lot easier to carry around 100 of them, and they're generally better at mid-combat "don't die now" healing, even in hardcore where their healing is more spread out.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Timeless Appeal posted:

Really, what I want is to see an area caught in perpetual nuclear winter.

Patrolling the Mojave almost made me wish it, for myself.

As for sequel wish-list chat, I really liked the concept of an urban treetop city that was kind of half-heartedly implemented in the Pitt. I'd like to see it extended to an entire network of rickety makeshift bridges cris-crossing between vast skyscrapers so immense that the settlements near the top are independent of those eighty stories below, and street-level is basically a no-man's land of marauding enemies and spell almost instant death to anyone but the hardiest (read: high level) souls. I don't care about specific locales or anything, but I guess the most fitting would be Manhattan, or some other skyscraper dense city.

Probably not possible in the current engine, though, or if it is and you jump from the roof you're gonna fall through about seven loading screen before you hit the ground. And it'd be very easy for them to gently caress up and basically make the DC metro area again.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I want a game that plays like Fallout in a CryEngine gameworld.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

Vakal posted:

MGS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
MGS3.