Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Well, just picked up my first curse. Accidentally fell down a whole and I was surrounded by the critters, and when i tried to run, I ran through a small doorway and came face to face with a dead end and more basilisks, then all the ones i was running from blocked the door, trapping me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Fereydun posted:

Extreme spoilers for the latter half of the game:

It's definitely that. All the demons you fight are spawned from Izalith and the witches, as Izalith loving with the chaos flames leads to all the witches becoming horrific monsters. Queelag, Queelan(?) and Quelana are the only witches who pretty much escape getting turned into batshit insane demons, and both Queelag and Queelan still get hit really hard despite apparently being on the very fringe of the blast that caused the transformation. Quelana is the last of the true witches, and (I think?) is the hollow you end up fighting right before Bed of Chaos.

No, that phantom is not Quelana. She is still in the swamp after you kill the Bed of Chaos. You get a new pyronamcy spell if you go back and talk with her after the fight.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

For the UK people looking for a copy of the official guide, I'm gonna agree with the person who suggested checking your local Game store rather than online - they had at least three copies when I went in just now.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So is there a good place for dragon covenant people to place the dragon eye stones around sl 40? I've been having okay luck around sens fortress front gates, but I was wondering if there was an "official" spot. Goddamn why can't we just drop them in ash lake :argh:

Also heads up for anyone who wants to join this covenant, even though they specifically have to summon you, you can still get indicted when they lose. And people will freak the hell out on you because I guess they think you're supposed to be helpful? I've gotten lots of nice angry PSN mails because a dude will summon me thinking I'm going to be a white phantom and I just kick em down pits.

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!

Hell Diver posted:

Maybe this game just lets you abuse over-leveling more than Demon's, but I've found almost every single boss in this game easy compared to the previous game's creatures. Priscilla was one of the only few to give me problems, and that was only due to her being invisible.

I think most of the gnashing of teeth is coming from people who just want to dash through the game and not take the time to tool up their equipment and prepare themselves accordingly. I saw a lot of people complaining about Sen's Fortress, but I thought it was one of the easiest sections of the game. I guess it just has to do with play styles and patience. Being a tank has seemed to mitigate a lot of the frustration of this game, but I'm probably going to start up a Pyromancer next and try a lighter armored approach.
The game is about the same difficulty as Demon's Souls for me. The only difference is that I actually know what to do in Dark Souls and I'm aware that running all over the place before I know the layout is a terrible idea. If I had skipped Demon's Souls and played this I probably would of rage quit at the Capra Demon.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

evilalien posted:

No, that phantom is not Quelana. She is still in the swamp after you kill the Bed of Chaos. You get a new pyronamcy spell if you go back and talk with her after the fight.

So how many daughters do you think she has? Queelag and Queelan got turned into topless spider chicks. Quelana's black gold hemmed armour is on a corpse next to ceaseless discharge (possibly another daughter). But you find her later on alive and not transformed as an trainer NPC.

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
I restarted the game right after ringing the second bell because I wanted to fix a couple mistakes I'd made (killing pyromancy trainer) and also try to stay underleveled ....

Sadly I now find myself just having beaten Ceaseless Discharge at exactly the same level I'd been last time (31, not underleveled at all), though the only consolation is I now have pyromancy and stopped upping str/dex at 16 each and have a lot more end/vit.

The oddest thing to me is how much easier the game was the second time through on normal difficulty - the only boss I didn't take down on my first attempt was the Taurus Demon (and that's only because on my first time through he glitched out and I never had to learn his timing to run back through and jump off the tower again). Capra, Queelag, Ceaseless Discharge, the Gargoyles - all seemed so easy this time around.

Also, am I the only person who finds Blighttown easier from the normal entrance? The second time through I took a single death (got toxic and didn't care to use my single item to remove it, so I ran around killing dart guys while expending all my healing abilities until I died) to get through, and all of 10 minutes. I never really did figure out the proper path in blighttown from the secondary entrance.

sizerp fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 17, 2011

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So I met Ceaseless Discharge and it was... weird? I don't know. I didn't die but the fight went nowhere and ended with me quitting from the menu.

I grabbed the armor and turned to run, made it back to the little stone corridor and here's when it came to a halt: if I stand on one side, he does a fire breath attack that can't be blocked or avoided - it doesn't kill me, but it leaves me no time to attack; if I stand on the other, he slams his arm on the ground once or twice and then just stands there for a while but... his arm completely clips trough the ground and there's no way to hit it. How does this work? :confused:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Ohhh poo poo I messed up the Siegmeyer questline :( In Lost Izalith, I jumped with him into the pit and killed the monsters after which he just says he failed me and dies :smith: Apparently I should have let him fight by himself a bit. This sucks, but at least I'll have something to look forward to on the next playthrough.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
OK, so where the gently caress can I find a claymore? I mean, besides behind the red hellkite?

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Ixjuvin posted:

Getting from the second bonfire in the Catacombs (you DID find it, right?) to the entrance of Giants only takes a minute or two if you're not scared of falling. Coming down from the bonfire, you can jump off the first bridge onto a ledge on the right, then walk onto the next ledge down. Enter a short cave, then from its end you can drop down (quite a ways but it only takes off 3/4ths of your health) onto a ledge in the wheel skeleton cavern. If you're lucky you can plunge-attack a wheel or two, then book it for the canyon that leads to Pinwheel's giant sarcophagus.

Hope This Helps, enjoy your pitch darkness

e: I am really not looking forwards to tackling the Tomb for real tomorrow, I took my first peek in today and it's loving terrifying. Eyes in the darkness, I keep expecting Slenderman to loom from nowhere or something.

Wait no, no I didn't find the second bonfire! I looked, too! Where is it? Looking forward to taking another shot at this place when I get home from work tonight. Also can't wait to work on my chaos fire whip, and maybe start a pure str/end character.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

smuh posted:

Ohhh poo poo I messed up the Siegmeyer questline :( In Lost Izalith, I jumped with him into the pit and killed the monsters after which he just says he failed me and dies :smith: Apparently I should have let him fight by himself a bit. This sucks, but at least I'll have something to look forward to on the next playthrough.

The Siegmeyer questline is bugged in NG+, he won't move locations no matter what you do. SO you have to start the game from scratch to do that. :(

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

^^^^...huh.
Well thankfully I was planning on trying out a pyromancer and a thief anyway, so I might as well complete the Siegmeyer thing then.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Little something that might please some people (by that I mean everyone).

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/17/dark-souls-patch-to-rectify-multiplayer-issues/
:dance:

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

Count Bleck posted:

What's wrong with the Magic Shield spells, I mean other than the abysmally low duration? And what the hell does "Unlimited uses of magic and items" mean?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

You can only have one covenant at any given time, right?

What if you enter one covenant and then go enter another one? Do the people you used to be with get pissed at you? I entered the first covenant I came across (Way of White) and I want to know what happens if I break it off with them.

Also, is there a list of all the different covenants and the benefits of them?

Can anyone answer this?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
For those of you that particularly care about trophies and achievements, the 'acquire all rare weapons' achievement could conceivably be 'boostable' with the right coordination and partner and going out of your way to connect together--since you can drop items while a phantom to be picked up by another player. Also of note, the acquire all sorceries/miracles/pyromancies/weapons achievements appear to be cross-character, so each set does not have to be acquired by a single one of your characters.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ColdCock posted:

What's wrong with the Magic Shield spells, I mean other than the abysmally low duration? And what the hell does "Unlimited uses of magic and items" mean?

From what I am aware, Strong Magic Shield makes you completely invincible for the entire duration of 20 seconds.

Even if you're not blocking.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Defghanistan posted:

Wait no, no I didn't find the second bonfire! I looked, too! Where is it? Looking forward to taking another shot at this place when I get home from work tonight. Also can't wait to work on my chaos fire whip, and maybe start a pure str/end character.

Well there's your problem. If you remember there was one bridge lever you had to climb up a ladder to reach? There is a spiky trap statue right in front of the blank wall at the bottom of that ladder. The wall there is illusory!

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

What is the point in being able to warp to the Alter of the Gravelord? It's a big empty cave with no exit.

Mordiceius posted:

Can anyone answer this?

You can leave and enter as many different covents as you want without penalty. Leaving a covent is not committing a sin against them.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Can anyone answer this?

The covenant you left does not get mad at you if you leave by joining another covenant. However, if you rejoin later, you begin again at rank 1.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
So, is there any real reason the elemental weapons are so much better than the stat scaling ones? I mean, considering how useful the elemental damage is anyway, and that you don't have to boost str or dex above the minimum for the weapon, you'd think it'd be the other way.

I guess I'm just slightly peeved at the "wasted" points ive put in str and dex.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I feel so conflicted. I'm really glad they're fixing the crystal ring shield for balance reasons but it was really hilarious rear end-blasting fools with my Captain America hubcap.

With the wind-up animation on it, if its damage becomes less than great fireball... I'm not sure if I'll carry it anymore. It's essentially a slower-acting pyromancy (due to the limited range) with a few more uses. I'd rather have the left-hand slot for something else, like my bow. :/

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

ColdCock posted:

Sounds like it means the Dragon Head bug that let's you use Soul of ***** infinite times.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Joe_Richter posted:

So, is there any real reason the elemental weapons are so much better than the stat scaling ones? I mean, considering how useful the elemental damage is anyway, and that you don't have to boost str or dex above the minimum for the weapon, you'd think it'd be the other way.

Because scaling needs to be better. At the moment you need like the full 99 points in a stat to actually make scaling weapons worth it :(

IM STILL USING THEM

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Count Bleck posted:

Could someone post what this says? I'm at work and they have the site blocked. :(

Also, Capra goes down in roughly one firestorm and one greater fire combustion. I love the fact that the people I white (gold) phantom for don't even have to fight anymore. :black101:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Joe_Richter posted:

Demon's Souls had this issue where pretty much every weapon that mattered had a scaling of Strength, Dex, or Faith of A or S.

Why this was a problem I have no idea. :downs:

Smelly posted:

Could someone post what this says? I'm at work and they have the site blocked. :(

Also, Capra goes down in roughly one firestorm and one greater fire combustion. I love the fact that the people I white (gold) phantom for don't even have to fight anymore. :black101:

vg247 posted:

From Software has announced a new patch for Dark Souls, to address a handful of issues including some glaring multiplayer problems.

The patch details, posted on the developer’s website, have been translated on Neogaf, but apparently list just a few examples of changes planned, with more details to come soon.

Fixes to certain spells and effects:
- Magic Shield, Strong Magic Shield
- Tranquil Walk of Peace
- Ring of Fog, etc.
Unlimited uses of magic and items
Regular weapons rebalanced against reinforced weapons
Adjustments to the player matching conditions
Loading problems when switching between maps

Of particular note is the matchmaking fix, as there have been reports of problems for those trying to find co-op buddies or invade other players, and a change to the Ring of Fog, which has rapidly become notorious for its overpowered use in PvP situations.

Also some poo poo about it being the third patch the PS3 got for this game.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Count Bleck posted:

From what I am aware, Strong Magic Shield makes you completely invincible for the entire duration of 20 seconds.

This

... and I abused the hell out of it to beat the game :ninja:

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

doomfunk posted:

I feel so conflicted. I'm really glad they're fixing the crystal ring shield for balance reasons but it was really hilarious rear end-blasting fools with my Captain America hubcap.

With the wind-up animation on it, if its damage becomes less than great fireball... I'm not sure if I'll carry it anymore. It's essentially a slower-acting pyromancy (due to the limited range) with a few more uses. I'd rather have the left-hand slot for something else, like my bow. :/

Where did you get the impression that they're nerfing Crystal Ring Shield?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

^^^ Someone mentioned it earlier, that a message on the From website indicated they were removing the crystal ring shield's reliance on your right-hand weapon for its damage. Frankly, it IS hilariously overpowered, especially when you're using a weapon like a lightning uchi that has two damage types and a bleed component.

Count Bleck posted:

Wait, so it's Iron Flesh without the weakness to lightning or slowdown effect?

:argh: Sorceryyyyyy!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Tyskil posted:

So is there a good place for dragon covenant people to place the dragon eye stones around sl 40? I've been having okay luck around sens fortress front gates, but I was wondering if there was an "official" spot. Goddamn why can't we just drop them in ash lake :argh:

Also heads up for anyone who wants to join this covenant, even though they specifically have to summon you, you can still get indicted when they lose. And people will freak the hell out on you because I guess they think you're supposed to be helpful? I've gotten lots of nice angry PSN mails because a dude will summon me thinking I'm going to be a white phantom and I just kick em down pits.

Yeah apparently a lot of players don't know that dragon signs are going to summon hostile phantoms, there's lots of stories around of players who had no idea and got blasted or posting to ask what the hell that sign was. There was one guy in this thread who was summoned and discovered the underequipped host desperately trying to survive against a dragon man he apparently didn't know was going to attack him.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Bland posted:

I've been looking forward to my first bit of hatemail on this game. I incinerated some guy I invaded with a single fireball and I got a message from a very angry 'Lahndahnah' calling me a "magic using pussy". I love Xbox Live :allears:

I had a guy call me a parasite and told me to gently caress right off because I killed him and his phantom friend shortly before Bell Gargoyles. Sorry but I needed some humanity!

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Penny_Dreadful posted:

The Siegmeyer questline is bugged in NG+, he won't move locations no matter what you do. SO you have to start the game from scratch to do that. :(

No, that's Solaire. Siegmeyer is fine in NG+.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

doomfunk posted:

I don't think they are touching crystal ring shield. They are changing the spell "magic shield". Crystal ring shield is the best in pvp because it let's melee users have a 1k+ damage nuke

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Yeah apparently a lot of players don't know that dragon signs are going to summon hostile phantoms, there's lots of stories around of players who had no idea and got blasted or posting to ask what the hell that sign was. There was one guy in this thread who was summoned and discovered the underequipped host desperately trying to survive against a dragon man he apparently didn't know was going to attack him.
I saw a silver eye and didn't know what it was so I attacked it, and my game immediately crashed.

The next time I saw a silver eye I started swapping into some better PvP gear, but the eye vanished. :smith:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I don't think they are touching crystal ring shield. They are changing the spell "magic shield". Crystal ring shield is the best in pvp because it let's Merle users have a 1k+ damage nuke

... if the other player is afk, otherwise they just move an inch and it misses.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Re: Dragon Covenant, can you use other dragons' eye signs if you yourself are a dragon?

If so we should have a Manly Dragon Duel Circle.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

evilalien posted:

No, that's Solaire. Siegmeyer is fine in NG+.

Oh....thats even worse!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Fellblade posted:

... if the other player is afk, otherwise they just move an inch and it misses.

You'd be really surprised how easy it is to hit people by simply doing the hop stop backwards and immediatly throwing it as they swing. It's also great for hitting people who are drinking potions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Is parrying in this game like Royal Guard in Devil May Cry 3 / 4 where you can parry basically anything? Or is it only smaller guys? In DMC a gigantic boss could swing at you and it'd just go TING and bounce off, but you needed absolute perfect timing.

• Locked thread