Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
To people that have already played a lot or watched a lot of streams, I have a question to ask. I remember hearing that if you beat the tutorial boss in the a certain way you got a special weapon, what exactly is this weapon and how do you get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Do (undead parish spoiler) fire keeper souls upgrade your esk flasks forever or just temporarily?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Phew, I just beat the Bell Gargoyles at the top of the Undead Church and rangthe bell, it only took an hour and a half! I even managed to cut off the gargoyles tail and get the special weapon, which is also far worse than the +4 Battle Axe I used to kill the gargoyles so welp.

Also to note if anyone stuck at the church boss hears the bell ring that means someone else just beat the boss and rang the bell, during the entire time I was stuck in that area I only heard the bell ring twice.

Also don't consume the Firekeeper's Soul it apparently doesn't actually do what it says unless you give it to some NPC.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Ugggghhhh holy poo poo gently caress gargoyles forever. Is there a trick to this?

Don't get stuck in a corner, and when you see the second one start to breath fire run behind him.

Also if you haven't gotten the residence key yet then go and buy it from the merchant for 1000 souls. At the place with the shield dredgling, the axe dredgling and the firebomb dredgling there should be an openable door. Inside is three yellow pine resin that temporarily makes your weapon do a shitton of lighting damage. With that I four hit the first gargoyle when and after the first one is down you just have to kite the second until you can behind him and kill him.

Also if you but off the gargoyle tail it drops a lovely axe so if that's your style keep that in mind.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Where can I find more cracked red eye stones? I like invading people but I am running out fast!

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Dear From Software:
YOUR COCKSUCKING PRODUCT HAS REDUCED ME TO A GIBBERING MAN-APE WHOSE ONLY RESORT TO DEALING WITH THE ALMIGHTY loving GRIEF IT'S BESTOWED UPON ME IS TO SCREAM AND HURT MYSELF.

Seriously who the gently caress designs an elevator you have jump off of when the jump button is also the roll backwards button.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Where the hell is the (Crypt Spoiler)blacksmith? I've busted down the fake wall and dropped into the room with the two archers, but the only way to go from there takes me to the Peaceful Walking Miracle area. I want my fire Zweihander dammit!

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Where can I find the second fire ember? I got my Zweihander to +5 fire but I can't take it any further so I assume there must be an large ember out there somewhere.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

I found a second fire ember fairly deep in the Demon Ruins. It's in a chest guarded by several worm like enemies. Incidentally, I've being meaning to use them to upgrade my Zweihander, but I don't know where a blacksmith who can do is. Where did you upgrade yours?

The blacksmith that can create fire weapons is fairly far down the catacombs. There is a room that ends in a spiral staircase over what looks like a death pit, but actually isn't. If you roll towards a bump in the wall you'll land on a series of platforms and be able to fall the rest of the way safely. The platforms are too far to see normally the only hint you'll have is an item (a green titanite in case you don't already have one) that looks like its floating in midair. After you do so the blacksmith will bust down a wall so you can get out on the bottom floor.

Also the Flame Zweihander is a loving amazing weapon and you'll laugh the first time you one-hit an invading phantom.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Tgent posted:

Has it been confirmed that increasing strength gives faster weapon attacks? If so, is this for every weapon, or just certain ones, and does it occur every level, or just at certain milestones?

I definitely feel like I swing my Zweihander faster at 30 strength compared to 24, although I don't know if it was a gradual thing I just didn't notice until 30 or if it just got bumped up at 30 itself.

Also, where can I find/grind Red Titanite Chunks? My +7 Flame Zweihander is killing everything, but the knowledge that it could still hit harder drives me onward!

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Metrohunter posted:

take your armor off

No, don't!

Keep your armor up and equip and shield in your left hand and magic in your right, kill the dogs and block Capra's attacks, then kite him infinitely.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Ledneh posted:

Is it possible to get through the tomb of the giants without a skull lantern or whatever the other light source is? I'm partway through the catacombs right now.

Yes, the first time I went in through the Tomb of Giants I did it with no light source and without having the Lord Vessel; the rage I felt when I got to blocked-off boss door was only matched by the relief I felt when I finally found the loving exit. I didn't realize the Skull Lantern was anything more than a lovely weapon so I ignored it, and I ended up trading it and the sunlight maggot to Birdgirl so the next time I went through was also in the dark.

It was honestly an extremely interesting experience and looking back I don't regret it at all. Nothing makes you more nervous than creeping into a new area and hearing the labored breath(???) of the giant skeleton werewolf fuckers and knowing that you were in the dark with a monster.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

EC posted:

How the hell do you get out of the Catacombs without the LV? I got down there before placing it, which is a huge kick in the balls, but I've always had the advantage of being able to warp out.

You spend 3 hours wandering in the dark getting really loving good at killing giant skeletons before finally finding the path to the ember room. After you spend another hour failing to clear the room by cheesing pyromancy and ledges you do one last desperation search and discover the narrow strip of land that leads up to the ladder out.

The reason I got there so early was because after the second bell I thought 'Hm better clear the basic areas around Firelink before I proceed'. Went to Catacombs and oh Pinwheel was really easy guess I am overleveled oh well on to the next area! Finally got to a bonfire wait what do you mean I can't go back up the slopes where the gently caress am I :darksouls:

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Okay, I've been thinking about the plot of Dark Souls while waiting to be summoned, and I keep on getting bothered when I think about the ending.

So there are two endings: The Age of Fire, where you relink the bonfires (sacrificing yourself) and renew the power of the Gods, and The Age of Dark, where you become the Dark Lord and lead the Primordial Serpent(s)1. Both of these endings have the player essentially be a pawn of a greater power (Judging by the Four Kings and the Darkwraiths, the Primordial Serpent doesn't seem too keen on letting any human rule over it.)

Some people would argue that the Age of Dark is also the Age of Man, a time where humankind frees themselves from the control of the Gods. This is Darkstalker Kaathe's explanation of why you should kill Lord Gwyn and end the Age of Fire. The problem that Kaathe is probably lying. Ingwad backs me up on this; the Four Kings and the Darkwraiths are part of the abyssal forces and are certainly not agents of mankind's liberation, but instead enemies of any living being with a soul. Also, if the goal of the Dark Lord is to reunite the Dark Soul, and the Dark Soul (AKA Humanity) is spread across all the descendants of the Pygmy then that necessarily leads to the consumption of every human's soul.

Now, all of this is fine. I really like the fact that essentially everyone lies to the player in Dark Souls. The problem is that while The Age of Man is talked about as a possibility there is no way to make it happen. I guess you could imagine that right after the Dark Lord ending cinematic the player tells all the Serpent to gently caress off, but that seems unsatisfactory to me. Demon's Souls also only had two endings, but it was different because you were essentially choosing whether to be selfish or selfless. Dark Souls has a much more nuanced plot in that the player is not only choosing a moral stance, but also a specific side in the story I.E. the Gods or the Serpent, and what is missing is the option to choose neither.

I feel like the endings should have been set up like this:

Age of Fire: Relink the bonfires and be consumed by their flames.
Age of Man: Walk away after killing Gwyn; lose the Darksign and become fully human again. (Note that simply walking away is also how you got the good end in Demon's Souls.)
Age of Dark: Use the Darkhand on the final bonfire, have darkness overwhelm the Kiln and then have the Serpent heads show up and bow to you.

As it is it's not really possible to have a character that doesn't end up being kind of a chump.

1: I think that both Frampt and Kaathe are simply different parts of the same entity. They always introduce themselves as THE Primordial Serpent, and in the Dark ending like 10 of them show up but they introduce themselves as simply Frampt and Kaathe. There is one Primordial Serpent, and it is many headed.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 18, 2012

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Verr posted:

Man the Nito fight felt soo... pathetic. Like, he's so drat slow you just chop him up. I didn't even use a divine weapon. Pobrecito Nito.

Nito would be a really tough fight if he just stayed still and made you come to him through his horde of constantly reviving minions, but he doesn't, so you just wait a bit and he shambles up to you and then loses 1/5th of his life to one fireball.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

notZaar posted:

It would be really cool if on NG+ and beyond Gwyn had the equipment you were wearing last time you beat him.

While this would be cool it wouldn't really fit the story. Neither Demon's Souls nor Dark Souls are really cyclical and NG+ is always treated as purely a gameplay thing.

Also Gwyn is a cool as heck dude and not a sad sack man at all. He literally lead an Dragon-purging army across the world and formed the first city ever. When he saw that an Age of Dark was coming to end the world he bravely sacrificed himself by using his soul to link the Bonfires and keep the Dark at bay for as long as possible. His only mistake was leaving the shepherding of his realm to his fuckup kids; the Firstborn (Gwynt, imo.) was so foolish that he somehow lost his godhood, Gwynevere fled the land and married into another pantheon, and Gwyndolin is apparently playing 11th dimensional chess with the Primordial Serpents while also turning into a snake monster. It didn't help that all of his most trusted allies eventually turned into either a Souleater Quartet, a Bag of Chaos, or a half-lump half-dragon semi-immortal all-crazy something-something. Still, he did his best, and when the Chosen Undead entered the Kiln Gwyn fought him in a duel to the death. Why? Because ignis aurum probat motherfucker.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Gwyn is the worst. He almost completely genocides an entire species simply because they were in the way of his path to power; he allies with traitors and demonic witches, and after he completes his rampage he sets up a 'capital' where he rules over a variety of client states with a bloody fist. He banishes his own son, imprisons his granddaughter and floods a thriving city simply because of the betrayal of rulers he set up in the first place. When he finally notices that his time is coming to an end and that the Age of Man is soon approaching he is terrified, and he sets up a system were humanity is continually sacrificed to eternal fires that all lead back to him. Of course, not even that can stop the decay of his power. By the time the Chosen Undead, the Dark Lord who will liberate humanity from the shackles of the Gods, reaches the Kiln Gwyn is nothing more than a mindless shell futilely defending what little power he has left.

Dark Souls is a good game.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

I love the way people use the orange soap stone to make up their own messages. I walked past Queelags the other day and saw one that said 'Amazing chest ahead'. That had me giggling for ages.

If in the next Souls game there isn't a horse demon whose giant cock flaps in the wind as you fight so that people can put 'Amazing spear ahead' I am personally going to be very disappointed.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 20, 2012

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Sanzuo posted:

Okay, so just moments ago I summoned some kid who was some how able to open a chat with me. He said he was level 700 and was somehow able to kill Gwyn in like two swings of Smough's hammer. Feels kind of like a hollow victory.

Its odd, but I honestly wish that From made it so you couldn't summon people to help unless you've already died to the boss 2-3 times; it really takes away from the experience when a new boss appears and is just as quickly shut down by 2 sunbros while the host cowers behind a tower shield.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Krinkle posted:

wait did I just beat the game? I don't get it. Why did I fight this man again? Is being on fire a good ending or a bad ending? I miss the monumental and lady who narrated what the heck was going on

SHITTTTTT I forgot to buy that fancy mask after I killed gwyndolyn

Congratulations! You got the Age of Fire ending! You have relinked the Bonfires and taken Gwyn's place as guardian of the Kiln.

WHY YOU DID THIS poo poo: Humans have started to turn undead en mass and the God's power has started to fail; this is due to the fact that the Kiln in Lordan has died out. The plot of the game is essentially going through all of the steps needed to fix that (or not, if you take the other ending).

THINGS WE KNOW FOR SURE: The Gods (Gwyn's extended family) have been re-empowered, and the creatures of Dark (The Darkwraiths and Co (Kill the Four Kings before you get the Lord Vessel if you don't know what the gently caress)) have been pushed back.

THINGS THAT MIGHT BE TRUE: The Darksign is probably repressed in humans for now; which means there will be less undead. Fire Keepers are no longer needed and will be able to die naturally because the Bonfires are linked together and you are essentially serving as Keeper to them all (this information is from Anastasia, but she says Frampt told her and he is a kind of a lier so who knows if it's true!)

WHY IT MIGHT BE BAD: The Bonfires are being powered off of your soul, and even though you're baller as poo poo it can't last forever. They will eventually burn out again, and Darksign/Undead will start to appear. Fire Keepers will be forced to retake their vigil, and the Gods will begin to feed the remaining bonfires Humanity in order to stay alive. Nothing has truly changed and you have essentially propagated a cycle in which thousands of humans have their Humanity ripped from them and sacrificed to flames.

WHY IT MIGHT BE GOOD: You know the Darkwraiths? Those assholes? They are the Other Option, so while continuing the cycle of suffering and consumption seems bad, it might be better than 'everybody dies' (Note: Whether the Darkwraiths actually want to eat every living thing is kind of up in the air.)

I think one of the big weaknesses of Dark Souls is that while its plot is a lot more in-depth and intricate than Demon's Souls it's also a hell of a lot easier to completely miss. Accidently doing the wrong thing, I assume attacking Frampt in your case, can leave the player with basically no idea what the plot is building up to or what they are doing above a 'go place, kill boss' level.

I don't think the comparison to the Mass Effect 3 ending is apt. Once you understand the story the plot essentially makes sense with only having a few iffy parts; the problem is that the story is obscured from the player a bit too much. In Mass Effect 3 the game painstakingly builds up to a certain ending and then flips the table on the player in the last 10 minutes, while in Dark Souls the plot is so hidden that even though it is thematically appropriate the ending can still seem arbitrary to the player.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 25, 2012

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

The idea of a spider-centaur + hot woman combo goes strangely deep; in some D&D setting (Forgotten Realms?) the Drow worship a spider goddess, and sometimes they get turned into Driders AKA:

It's origin probably has to do with the whole 'Female spiders are giants who eat their males!' stereotype and also the fact that a lot of early nerds were men who were terrified of women.

edit: Does anyone else find it really odd that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are probably the best video games ever when it comes to capturing the spirit of medieval/gothic fantasy despite being made by a Japanese company? Like, if I wanted to play as a Knight Errant on a quest Dark Souls is pretty much perfect - you save knights locked in cells, rescue damsel('s souls from the same knight you saved earlier), slay giants, demons, and dragons, and have a very personal connection with God. All you need is a King to serve and a code to keep and you'd be going through paladining 101.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 2, 2012

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Dark Bead makes large bosses disgusting easily. I two shot the centipede demon.

e: Anyone figure out gravelord phantoms? I've been cursed three times and never realized it until someone else killed the gravelord. Do they not always appear because of a bug or something?

A developer confirmed that black phantoms only appear for NG+ characters. He also added something like 'Yeah we could have done that a little better' so hopefully in the next D-Souls game they flesh out that mechanic more.

edit: gently caress it, I'll pull the quote:

IGN Article posted:

I asked Miyazaki about some more specific ongoing aspects of Dark Souls play, such as the Gravelord covenant – is it true players can only see the black phantoms in NG+ and above? “That is almost true,” Miyazaki almost answers. “In Dark Souls' design the position of enemies is fixed, so we could have intended to make the effect of Gravelord Covenant a new element seen in the second try after the game's ending. To be honest, I suppose I could have made it better.”

Scrree fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 7, 2012

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Yeah, the crow is obviously related to/a servant of Velka. This doesn't mean that she is the ultimate puppetmaster of the entire plot. It makes a lot more sense to use Occam's Razor and say that Velka, goddess of Sin, does a solid for Gywndolin, god of Reprisal, and has her crow give a lift to potential 'Chosen Undead'.

Really, I think these types of stories are a lot more fun if you avoid building obtuse hidden plots and simply accept that character's motivations are generally pretty simply. The only exception is Frampt and Kaathe, cause gently caress those lying smug rear end teeth-serpents.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Look at faux-Ornstein's left arm.

Now following the lighting upwards.

Now view the image as a thumbnail/at half size.

Only then shall the mystery of the Quiver be solved.

edit: gently caress

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Sauska posted:

Knight Lautrec is loving death with this fist. I need to get the lightning spear or something. I'm only doing 40 damage to the mage with fist.

well, actually I can't get the lightning spear because the mimic fell into a hole. I need something to deal legit damage... or just wait on it.

You can enchant the Fist. Your options are to smear some tree blood on it, worship or kill a god, or learn the secrets of the ~VINHEIM DRAGON SCHOOL~

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

"Well, what's this?
Come to break the Undead Curse, have you?
You would have done better if you'd stayed rotting in the ground.
But, since you made it this far, I'll give you a tip.
Above is Sen's Gatehouse.
If you force open the gate, something happens.
Not much to go on, but I somehow feel that won't stop you.
Ah, if you need directions, press R3 to illuminate your path."

Getting real for a second, I'm actually not too pessimistic about the interview - Demon's Souls locked you into doing World 1-1 before anything else, and that didn't feel too stifling. A lot of what they're saying suggests they want to tone down what made Dark Souls so unique, but at least they aren't talking about throwing it all away.

It's possible they'll stray completely into the adolescent powertrip story that so defines the fantasy genre, but as long as they keep the gameplay as brutal it'll at least lead to hilarious thematic disconnections of 'The Chosen One' getting bodyslammed off a cliff edge by a big rat.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Armor is already pretty much the same except for Poise and Weight. Still, with them switching to a new engine I really hope that Dark Souls 2 has flowing cloaks + non-hosed slopes.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Manus doesn't have a tail weapon, are you thinking of Kalameet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Nope, Bastard Sword is the Broadsword + Big - it's a bit shorter and all sweeps in exchange for a slightly faster swing and slightly higher damage.

• Locked thread