Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So I've been playing offline most of the time, but I really wanted to grab some stuff of that Shiva merchant selling some interesting stuff. I'm having a lot of fun buggering about with the Forest Hunters in between grinding for humanity and poo poo, but one of the things I got was the Pendant. Does it actually do anything?

And I haven't really been paying much attention to weapons, just rolling around with a Halberd first and now a Demon Spear, what are some neat weapons to try out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kongming posted:

You can trade the Pendant to Snuggly the Crow for a Souvenir of Reprisal. Outside of that pretty sure the Pendant is worthless.
Well, drat. Someone said it gave additional lines for some fucker down below New Londo, but the rumours about this game are just, it's like in days before the internet. You can fight Shao Kang!

Kongming posted:

As for weapons, I guess it depends. For strength weapons you could look at the Black Knight weapons, Large Club dropped by Blighttown ogres, the Zweihander in the graveyard at Firelink, or even the Claymore on the Hellkite Drake bridge (not sure if this is really a "strength weapon" as the stat requirements are pretty generous). For dexterity I can't really say too much, I just started a Dexterity character myself but the Balder Sidesword is supposed to be very good. Still the Halberd is a solid weapon so there is no shame in sticking with it. Haven't used a Demon Spear myself.
Hmm, never bothered trying the club because of how low my strength was, it might be worth a try now. The problem I have with many of the 2H swords is how Slow they are. I got the Flamberge and Serpent Greatsword when grabbing the Covetous ring and they honestly didn't strike me as good ones, how do they differ from the other 2H weapons? Am I just not used to them? Because I can totally believe that.

Jetpack Postman posted:

The Demon Spear isn't half-bad for a Midgame weapon. Scales well with Str/Dex balanced builds and does pretty decent Lightning damage too. It's not as good as upper-level Lightning spears, but it does it's job well enough.

I'd like to give you some advice for weapons Deceitful Penguin, but could you tell me a bit more about what build you're aiming for?
Thus far I'd been keeping a balanced build, but strength has been creeping up higher and higher and is finally higher than Dex now because of all the 2H weapons I got and wanted to test. I have around 15 int, don't have access to the PS3 right now, but my Stamina could be better, it's 18-ish. Faith is in the crapper.

Filthy Monkey posted:

It is pretty good, but I just hate the god damned look of the thing. The texture on it seems really low quality. The claymore 1h r2 is definitely missed though. That thrust is a really useful claymore move.

I still have to go with the large club for mid-20s strength req weapons though. Good jump attack, unique and useful sweeping 1h r2. Its 2h r1 packs good power and its 2h r2 is...okay well they can't all be winners. Still, it is a good weapon, either as a permanent solution or as a holdover until you can get a black knight greataxe.
Huh, and with the poison thing too. I think I'll give it a try when I start again later today.

And thanks guys, this game is a pretty big mystery even with the wiki and I'm rather overwhelmed by it. It's good to know I can turn here for help. :)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

MZ posted:

Getting my rear end handed to me in Blighttown, I'm gonna try going with black leathers as these seem to have the best poison resist, any other advice?
I'm surprised no-one recommended the ninja suit, is it really that bad?

Speaking of armour though, I've been beefing up my elite knight armour due to lack of anything else decent to upgrade, is there any "Obviously best" armour?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So, because I found out that if you don't place the Lordvessel before beating the 4 Kings there's some more story Iīve been trying to do that now. But them fucks is pretty annoying. I've been using the fully upgraded Furysword with an Eagleshield, with the Silver Armour and Crimson skirt with a mostly Strength based build with 3 attunement slots.

Should I go grind some more humanity and souls or is there some trick to the kings? Or should I just suck less?

Edit: Ah, cool. Stamina and sucking less, got it. I had a feeling I just had to try more times, just grinding up the humanity for the Furysword to be max power is a pain. Thanks.

I only have like 3 slots, is 2 combustion one great really enough even with a full flame?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 22, 2012

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So I failed the onion guy. :smith: I didn't realize he also had to survive with more than 50% health.

So I'm restarting and thinking of doing a faith build this time. Any hints on that angle?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Umberger posted:

Join the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant and get it to +1. I know it's kind of half way through the game, but Darkmoon Blade is very good, and it gets better at +2 and +3. Plus the Darkmoon Talisman is the best one in the game.
Isn't that a PvP faction? I always feel bad to do that to people.
And I looked at the miracles and they look pretty meh most of them, especially since I just came from a pretty heavy pyromancy build. How do they expect me to fight with this stuff?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

A lot of miracles are support based, but there are some decent attack options.

Using either of the 'enchanting' miracles on a plus 15 weapon equals huge damage output. You can use silence to prevent casters from doing anything, or tranquil walk of peace to slow and confound your enemies. Wrath of the gods is great for obvious reasons, and all three of the sunbro miracles are great distance damage if you can land them. Project force can really screw up slower characters who can't evade it. Force is quick to cast and can disrupt your opponents... Take a look at the miracles on the wiki and think creatively.

Hmmm, yeah, I guess I just have to have faith in the tools I'm given. Gotten too used to heathen fireballs, I suppose.
Thanks for the advice guys. :)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So does Fire have any advantages compared to Chaos? And is Lightning just way better than either? Wondering about this ol'Zweihander of mine, though now that I have the BKGA I don't use it much.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

This is as good of a time as any to repost this, it's been awhile.
baalocks on PS3.

Can bro with several thangs levels, mostly with my little SL 21 sunbro though. Have a fairly high level dude, about 100 hours in I abandoned once onion dude pulled a seppuku on me.
gently caress if I gonna stand for that poo poo.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GrahamBLY posted:

After getting the drake sword that people have tried to warn me off of, but I refuse to listen because any advantage in a game this hard is desperately needed.. I went and took my revenge on the metal pig and that big black rear end in a top hat before the taures demon.. he was guarding my very first ring, the blue stone ring, and he dropped a Black Knight Sword, which was very fitting, and it's even better than my drake sword! Question, do I pump STR to 20 and DEX to 18 or whatever else it needs at the expense of not leveling END STA? Or is this more of a "midgame" weapon that I lucked into early, and trying to equip it now will effectively hamstring the rest of my build?
Nah, go for the BKS, it's pretty great.

GrahamBLY posted:

Also working on the gargoyles now trying to cut off his tail but I can't get it off before the 2nd one comes down and toasts me. How badly do I want this axe?
Uh, you should get a bro, they do that first easily usually.

GrahamBLY posted:

Side question: is there ever a shop to sell this stuff, or should I stop looting easy guys? I'm filling up on shortswords and hollow man armor.
It's fairly late in and they ain't worth, 50 souls for a weapon a 100 for a piece of armour. Shields are weapons too.

GrahamBLY posted:

Edit question: the hollow man shield is the 100% reduction one, how high should I pump it, +5 and then look for something better? And as far as upgrades.. I can't ever afford to upgrade the drake sword, should I be upgrading a regular weapon and using that instead so I don't drop off at some point?
Hollow Soldier Shield is a pretty good shield I relied on for a long time until 4 Kings forced me to switch to the greatshield. +5 is pretty solid, remember that upgrading shields increases Stability, which is the percentage which it reduces stamina damage of.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Goddamn, I can understand why no-one wants to bro on the 4 Kings on SL45 But now I'm 58 and still no offers. God drat.
And my sorcerer is just a laugh-riot against those guys. Sure, an seeking magic attack that can't be avoided? GENIUS.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Read posted:

It can be avoided. Run away from it.
Ow, wow, seriously?
Not that it matters, I just got them by backpedaling like crazy, even though we made a double kill. (I shot my Soul Spear just before his attack hit me, pretty loving funny entering the cutscene then dying just after it. Think it did give me the souls though, I just gotta pick em up).

And drat, is Magic Shield useless, the hell is up with that short duration?

Edit: Also, wasn't beatrices catalyst supposed to better than the vanilla one? Has the same magic adjust for me.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 26, 2012

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I hate it when they quit the game when I invade them in the Undead Burg. Don't you realize kids! I bring presents! Ok, this one didn't quit, let's spread joy.
Look! Solid Humanity, 2 of them. No, don't think about why 2, just take it. Have some titanite, it can be hard to get when you're low level. Hell, have some chunks. You don't know what the hell they're for but I have a lot of them. Have several colours of them! This is an Indictment, it's for later, hehehe. Stop bowing, I have more stuff for you.

Here, have this weapon. It's something I never really used, because I got it too late. Maybe you'll like it! I have no idea if it works well, I just got several at random and upgraded them. Speaking of inventory, I have 50 Crystal Swords and by the time you get them they're completely worthless. Try it out! Don't worry about getting too reliant on it, you can't repair it anyway. That's what the other stuff I gave you is for. And that shield, yesh. Have one from the Crystal bastards as well, itīs fairly good. Wonder if I should give this one some BK weapons. Something to work towards. Nah, I'll do that in the Parish.

Anything more, hmmm. Oh, how about this Mask of the Child? What? Condescending? Me? Well, maybe a bit. Also take this Light Crossbow, way too many people never find it. They should have had jumping as part of the tutorial, drat. Don't worry, it's already at +5. Wish you could dual-wield these things, would be ace.

Ok, I think this is about it. Now I bow to you, yes, go on, bow back.

Equip Dark Hand. Use R2 attack. Wave goodbye. Don't want you misunderstanding that Red Phantoms are not usually your friend. Hope you have fun with the stuff I gave you!

The best parts are the messages saying thanks. I mostly end up with Japanese dudes, but some of them were yanks or mainlanders, it was all very touching. :3:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
And that brings an end to my extended gift giving session. Started out in the Burg, but kept getting nabbed by troll hunters,. A few people were puzzled at the red man in spiky armour that dropped them stuff. Even more so when he jumped off the bridge.
A few bastards attacked me while I was dropping presents. INGRATES! You would attack your Secret Santa?! Those quickly discovered that my empty hands were not so empty and that my spiky armour was not merely for show. If they persisted, they were introduced to my friend Lightning Scythe +5. Fools.

Upon relocating to the Parish, most people didn't seem to require any help. I gave a few some gifts regardless, although I kept the best for what few obvious Fresh Souls that would need it. Can they even imagine what a Slab is used for, I wonder.

But sadly, all good things come to an end. I hadn't paced myself well enough and had far too much stuff for too few cracked orbs. Didn't meet many rogues, so most of my katanas and claws and such things were left unused. Plenty of cleavers and claymore, serpent-swords and large clubs were handed out however, as well as plenty of upgrade materials and souls. The last one, in particular, had a huge bounty, including my spiky armour. I wonder if he realizes that now he is Secret Santa by killing me and taking my suit. Probably not.

And finally, Japanese people. I realize that hospitality is very admired in your land, it is as well in mine. That does not mean you should drop me things. I am the Secret Santa, not you. Oh, and also I signed all the messages with "In Memoriam Boletaria" because they're killing the DeS servers. Requiescat in pace, sweet server. We had some good times you and I. Now perhaps these whipper-snappers will look up what you once were. :qq:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
OH MY loving GOD. The Catacombs are covered in MAGGOTS. :stonk: The floor, just by the first Necromancer, I looked at it for a mo and there it was.

Why did I never notice this before? Why did I have to notice it now!? Uggghhhhh. They move and squirm and poo poo, couldn't they just have had some wholesome clean skeletons or something, gently caress.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Spiked Armour, spiked armour, spiked armour. Why oh why do you disappoint me so? Why are you so useless outside the burg? Why, even just into the parish you lose almost all your use! And it's not like there are any ways of raising your damage.
I suppose there is the, hilarious mind you, advantage of staggering mages but I'm not really into the whole fighting bit right now.
Still, I imagine most people certainly weren't expecting it! And it works on some of the light armour dudes too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Invasion Log: Fought a reaper. Dude had style, but my build is made of tissue paper, so his Lightning Scythe got me. Meet him again, later, now using an eagle shield and a claymore. Has Spike armour on, was close to killing me with it. Would have been much cooler.

Second dude is a obvious new player. Using Hollow helmet, my gods. Dropped him some moss, then danced around him after poisoning him. Managed to wing me, hope he got the moss in time.

Third dude kills himself? Didn't see it happen. Ran towards the summoning place because I see the message, Odd, anyway. Wonder if I should get a less upgraded club to make the fights last longer and give more chances of poison proccing.

Fourth is also fresh of the wagon. Whoops, didn't mean to back, oh, drat. I forget how weak the starting armour is. Meh, gonna go get a weaker club, give them a chance at least.

Refreshing, someone invading me while I go upgrade the club. Blue invader, rapier gimmick? I get hosed, like usual, even +9 the Hollow Thief set isn't great. Plank Shield doesn't help much either. But that makes it fair on the little ones I visit~

Gonna try new stuff.

Cleaver is hilarious. Landed on a farmer though, with two buddies. Tsk, tsk.

Another noob. Couldn't damaged me. Dropped him an enchanted falchion and a jagged blade. Was a good fight, the poison got him though. Miss killing new players with spike armour. Just twirling into them, they not understanding how they're getting damaged. It's beautiful, it really is.

Next one dies at the summoning point, surrounded be dreglings? Booked it over there when I saw the summoning message, but this is baffling. What happened, the upper ones are mostly dead. Did he drag them all the way from the basement? drat, that's harsh.

Some kind of mage, wearing standard mage gear. I drop him some better daggers and the Firesage catalyst, you get that way too late anyway, might cool for him. Doesn't equip it though. Hmm. Take of my armour, let him get in a few hits, until itīs close. Even fight that way. Poison gets him. Heh, it probably gets a bunch of them that win too, as they don't have the moss or estus to survive it.

Spirit of vengeance. Forget I can estus. Felt foolish afterwards, Ormstein wearing Furysword user. Probably would have been easy.

Mage messages me. Won't use things I give him. Hmmm. Should have dropped consumables. Oh, a sorcerer starting gear only run? Remind him to punch skeletons, very convenient.

Oh, another farmer. Great. Blegh.

This one was new as well. Never attacked me! My gawd. Threw a few fire orbs, which missed. Then I poisoned him and we ran across half of the parish. When he finally hits me I realize he can't damage me worth a drat, so I start tossing weapons on the ground. Hmm, need more crossbows. Also Gave him some stuff and a humanity. Then he presented his back to me, all greatful or something. I wanted a fight, dammit!

Next came a bunch of farmers. Hah! Egged them up then hid in the Black Knight tower, then black crystaled out after a bit.

Hey! It's him again! And using the dagger I gave him. :3: It went well for him, I hadn't healed and he managed to proc a bleed on me in the corner. He even used one of the mosses I gave him when I poisoned him. :3: That means though that next time it's no mercy time.

Next was dude with Boar Helmet and no shirt. Clearly a pro. We engaged in fistacuffs, where he proved to the superior fighter, in a little part due the poise his boaryness granted him. He backstabbed me off the bridge. I wanted to have a kick-off, but it's so easy to be mistunderstood when you're a soul-sucking blood red invading spectre~

Had a good fight with a very standard knight. Even though everyone sees the cleaver in use twice it seems most people don't know the moveset. Bit short-ranged though. Dropped him a flamberge and +5 Broadsword. Hmm, getting bored, guess I'll call it a knight.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'd actuallyr recommend people did Spidergirl before Capra, if only because that's what I did and it went great. Just make sure you return to the asylum first for the rusty ring and everything goes hunky dory.

Hell, I didn't figger out where the depths were until I was going back to the merchant for a few more arrows to kill the dragon and ran into the door. That was after getting the ring in the valley of the dragons and everythang.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Frankosity posted:

I started a DEX-based character and had the Baldur Side Sword drop from one of the Knights. Does the bleed effect of the Iaito make its more rigid moveset worth it?

I can honestly say I never procced Bleed on anything before killing it normally, not even bosses. Then again, my only dex run was also my magic run so I wasn't swinging wildly at them...

Also, more should use the cleaver. Pretty strong, pretty fast and has the best 1H strong attack in the game. Seriously.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Bleed works on like, a shitton of bosses though? It even works on Ornstein and Smough :psyduck:
You know what also works on bosses? Soulspear. :dukedog:

Also, I play low Vit characters and can't afford to be hit and so don't hit fast and quick enough to procc it most of the time. Hell, that Dex/Int character had 8 Vit and 8 End, I wasn't taking any hits like that or risks.

EC posted:

It even works on the giant knights in AL, but it takes at least three or more hits to trigger.

What kinda punk rear end Scythe you using if they aren't dead in 3 hits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

EC posted:

*cough* Crystal Soul Spear *cough*
Don' finish my Soul Spear charges with all my mods. :smug:

EC posted:

Join me in NGx5, and I'll show you. :smug: For real though, dudes have a LOT of HP. I usually kill 'em with magic unless I'm having to save it for some reason.
Yeah, I thought of doing a pure dex but honestly, trying out magic looked neat. It's a shame you can't low-level it like pyromancy to troll newbs though.
And Pie beats Scythe. :v:

• Locked thread