Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cubicle gangster posted:

can the auto playlists look at a particular folder over a network, automatically add anything which is added in there to it's library, and keep shuffling it all? It's for work.

I have to ask our NY office for admin rights to install things, so I dont want to have to ask them more than once.
I think it should be able to, but the autoplaylists in the op only mentions tag changing - not actual folder scanning. even if it just does it once a night, thats good enough.
You don't even need to use an autoplaylist for this -- just add the network folder to foobar's Music Library. This will keep the library constantly up to date. It hooks into the file system with a "notify me whenever files in this folder change" command, so it pretty much instantly updates whenever anything is added, removed, or changed.

Then use the autoplaylist set to "everything in library" to play the whole thing on shuffle.

Foobar is pretty drat well behaved about networked folders in the library. It's pretty good about knowing how to deal with a folder being unavailable (network down): it should just ignore that part of the library. Quit and restart foobar, it tries again. But it can get stuck on "error" instead of "monitoring" in the library, in which case you may have to remove and re-add the folder.

Edit:

quote:

It would be installed on an old server which we want to throw in the corner and forget about. I guess we could remote in each morning, but ideally we just turn the speakers on and some music is playing.
OK, so you want it to be a dedicated music player computer? The music files all stored on the same computer with foobar playing them (with the folder shared to the network for public contribution)? Yeah, this would work fine, foobar's music library + autoplaylist will keep everything up to date instantly. Also look into the http control plugin for some manual remote control, and maybe foo scheduler to have scheduled start & stop (play during work hours instead of 24/7).

On a different topic, since its a new thread I'll point any new users to the existence of Foo UI Hacks, the plugin so good they banned it. Does many useful things, now with the ability to make foobar a portable app.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pokecapn posted:

Who in their right mind would trust a banned plugin from a site entirely in Russian with the word "hacks" in it?
Hacks in the sense of "workarounds" or "quick fixes". No-one wants to hack your music player to steal your anime soundtracks. Russian because the author and evidently a lot of users of foobar are russian (there used to be a dedicated foobar2000.ru with almost as much traffic as the official one). Unless you think russians are inherently untrustworthy?
Banned because of old drama. (And it's not really banned anymore, the fb2k devs seem to have chilled out a bit. Still can't get listed on the components site or official forum though. Which is why I give it a plug here. I'm not stirring the poo poo; I genuinely use the plugin and some of the tweaks from ui_hacks are things that I can't do without.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Zyklon's using default ui, so the way to remove the group headers entirely is to right-click on the playlist header (the Artist | Title | Album | etc top bit) and choose Groups -> None.

In the preferences, drill down to Playlist View and you make custom column and group entries. In that screenshot, "Albums + Singles" is a simple custom group I made, which puts files with blank tracknumber tags in a generic artist group, so they don't make as much clutter. It's not hard to make a layout that shows you what you want with just basic knowledge of tagz code. (As opposed to columnsUI, which is way more powerful but not very intuitive.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Use APE tags instead of id3v2, never care again about the abortion that is the id3v2 spec or it's retarded tagging assignments again. Fucks given that my mp3 player can't read APE and so has titles cut off at 30 characters: zero. It's screen can't display more than 20-something without scrolling anyways.

It says a lot that foobar can write id3v2 tags perfectly according to the spec as written, but you have to change "advanced" settings to do so, because every other piece of software and hardware in the world uses them incorrectly. Id3v2 is terrible.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arob1000 posted:

Well, I posted because I was thinking of getting an iPad, and file sync/transfers are pretty awkward without installing iTunes, especially if you want to use the built-in music and video players (as far as I know). I know there's foo_dop, which I used when I had an iPod before I got a smartphone, but it's not compatible with iOS 5 (yet, I guess?) and it always struggled with things like album covers when I used it anyway. I also wasn't able to find a way to use most of the other iCloud functions without installing iTunes on my laptop, or to manually manage iPad things like homescreen organization.
If you have an iThing it seems you really can't get away from itunes. You spend more time trying to get the alternative software working properly then you would just using loving itunes and fixing things it breaks.

quote:

I've used it for auto-sorting all of my music into folders, for making playlists that non-foobar users can read, hmm at least a couple others things that don't come to mind right now. Tag & Rename works better for me for sorting, but I never diagnosed the problem with playlists (save as .m3u should work?).
I may not be understanding, but when you use foobar to save a playlist as m3u, it doesn't work with other programs? Am I correct in my interpretation that you want foobar for playing music, tag&rename for organizing, and itunes for the ipad and making playlists? If this is correct, and you need to have itunes installed all the time, this is what I would do:

1. Make a new user account on your computer (ex "stevejobs"), and relog to that. Install itunes on the new account, but don't run it yet. Switch back to your main user, and change "stevejobs" to a standard user instead of an administrator.

2. The next step depends on where you keep your music, but the idea is to use security permissions on that directory such that Users can read but not write files. It'll be easiest if you have it in your own user folder, ie "my music" type place. In that case you just have to add a permission to the folder for stevejobs. Other places get a bit more complicated depending on where and which os version.

3. Use the Run as function to run itunes as "stevejobs" from your main account. Point itunes to where you keep your music. Deny it when you get UAC program wants to make changes to your computer popups.

Itunes neutered, everything else unaffected. fin.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It can sound better than winamp if you're going asio or whatever
If foobar asio or kernel streaming sounds better, in a way you can hear blind with normal music, you either have a busted winamp or busted hardware/drivers. You may well have a sound card that does the forced sample conversion in windows mixer (the thing that asio and kstream avoid), but the only time this should be audible is with specific single-tone sounds.

Foobar is our favorite music software with many superior abilities, but "sounds better" is not one of them, as said by it's author. Asio and kernel streaming have their uses (I use kstream myself for fully independent volume), but they don't sound better.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Edmond Dantes posted:

That's what I meant, but when following the instructions that come with the skin and going to add->panel, I can't find the "Album List" one.
You need the album list panel plugin, from the dev of columsUI.

teethgrinder posted:

Anyone know of a way I could set up a toolbar button to toggle between two different audio outputs?
You can have two buttons (or more) to switch between output devices -- button A for output A, button B for device B. In the customize buttons box, add new buttons from [main] -> Playback -> Output Devices -> device name.

This can also switch between two different output plugins on the same device (like DSound and WASAPI on one soundcard), but doesn't work for two different configurations of the same device (like 16bit WASAPI and 24bit WASAPI on one soundcard).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

joedevola posted:

No, that isn't it. Those dates weren't there before and they don't show up anywhere except in foobar. I'm thinking that maybe in the process of backing up the mp3s to an external drive and then copying them back after the format it messed with the metadata somehow, but it doesn't explain why it's only in Foobar.
Metadata on mp3s is part of the file, not in the filesystem or anything like that. If the move corrupted tags it would have corrupted the audio too.

Did you backup/restore your user profile or foobar config as well? I'm thinking it's actually your library database that's out of synch with the files, giving you ghost tags that only appear in foobar. Try removing all folders from your library, quit and re-open, and add the folders again. Or just delete database.dat from User\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

artist\album - year\## - title (folder.jpg here)
this is
artist\album - year\disc\## - title (folder.jpg here)
I think you want to add "%discnumber%\folder.jpg" to the album art search patterns, assuming you name disc folders by number.

But can't say for sure because from that screen shot I have no idea what skin / ui / extension you're using, or where it's getting album art, and you didn't give any useful details.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

butt baby posted:

I don't know if this is the right place for this or not, but I was wondering if anyone knew here how to transfer my whole music library along with all my playlists in foobar to a new computer. I spent a long time setting up my playlists and I don't really want to go through all the trouble of setting them up again on a new computer.
Your playlists and other foobar configuration stuff are stored in Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000 (on vista/7, Application Data\foobar2000 on XP), unless you installed in portable mode, in which case you can just copy the whole foobar directory.

Those internal playlists use absolute paths, so for them to work just copied straight over you'd have to put your music files in the same drive and directory names on your new computer as your old one. So if everything's in the "My Music" folder, you have to have the same username on the new comp. And if you're using a second drive and it's D:\Music, you'd have to be doing the same thing on the new machine.

If it's not going to be in the same place, what you should do is save each of your playlists one by one with File -> Save Playlist; save them to the base folder of your music library. As long as the files in the playlist are in subfolders of the playlist location, it will save with relative paths. Then on the new machine you can just load all those playlists.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BANME.sh posted:

Why not just use itunes? Don't make somebody use complicated software if they don't have the desire to. What will foobar give her that itunes wont?
Because iTunes has become an extremely complex piece of software that can be very difficult for anyone who doesn't make it a main part of their personal system of interacting with the computer. My mom got an ipad last year and while she's picked up the interface of the ios itself pretty well, itunes synch and management has driven her to literal tears of frustration. She's perfectly computer literate, itunes just doesn't do anything the same way her established knowledge works.

Also, why even open your trap unless you're also offering to provide his girlfriend with personal tech support on how to use itunes? :jerkbag:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SMP posted:

What's the best way to have foobar reorganize my music folders/files (so all the folder names are consistent)? Whenever I google how to do this stuff with foobar I get links from years ago and I never quite know what still works and what doesn't. Is this a function in foobar itself or a plugin I should be looking for?

e: Looks like this will still work http://www.lastfm.fr/group/Foobar+Users/forum/45322/_/550701
Yeah, those instructions are the right function to use. The real trick is that the File Name Pattern can use all of the Tagz formatting functions. That example uses $swapprefix to make "The Who" into "Who, The" but that's just the beginning. If you have a thoroughly tagged library, you can do pretty amazing things. For example, if you have every multi-artist compilation album tagged with "Various Artists" in the %album artist% field, you could use this:
$replace($swapprefix(%album artist%),'Various Artists',%genre%)
to put those into folders based on genre rather than one big Various Artists folder. I also like putting everything in a big $replace function to strip out characters that can't be used for filenames, which otherwise get replaced with underscores.

Like everything else foobar, it can do some very cool things if you learn how to use the tagz language.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

KoB posted:

The difference from default foobar was that I didnt have to add things to a playlist. I just selected a folder/subfolder/track and just appeared on the right and played it. I'm pretty sure I downloaded some custom skin but I cant find it or replicate it.
Preferences -> Media Library -> library viewer selection playlist enabled

Then just add a library viewer pane to your layout. No plugins or skins needed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SurgicalOntologist posted:

My library's on a network drive mapped to a drive letter.
Don't use a mapped drive letter. Foobar can't tell the difference between that and a local drive. If you add a network path to the library (\\computername\musicfolder) it knows that it's on the network and won't remove stuff from the library when the other computer is not reachable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oggumogoggum posted:

Along the same lines, is there any way to define a 'sort by' name for certain artists so that they will show up by last name alphabetically? I'd like to have Paul Simon come after The Shins, for example. I've fiddled with this in the past but could never get it to work.
Not without some additional info somewhere to indicate the difference between a personal name that you want sorted by last name and a two-word band name that you want sorted normally. After all you don't want Zeppelin, Led to be sorted into the z's next to Zappa, Frank.

It is possible to do with a custom tag, something like "namesort = 1" on all the music you want sorted differently, and then a two-part sorting script that does those differently. I have a custom tag on some of my music that hides them from my normal album list. But I think your idea is well into :effort: territory.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Daynab posted:

Do either of those show for example the song/album playing when using a stream? That's the main thing I need.
They can, but tagging in streams is a morass of bad standards and worse implementations. I get tags when streaming both mp3 and aac from soma.fm for example. I don't get tags on the WMA stream from my local radio, but neither does WMP or winamp so probably they just aren't sending tags at all. I think most of the time if the stream is sending tags, foobar will catch them correctly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tapeta posted:

Does anyone remember a plugin that gave you customizable tray icons that let you do play, stop, next etc? Winamp has this natively, and I swear I had a plugin to do the same years ago when I last used it, but I can't for anything find that plugin again.

It's not Advancedcontrol, that thing is terrible and tiny.
If there was one it probably wouldn't work anymore since plugin compatibility has changed a few times over the years. There's a taskbar deskband thing which you could set up to just show the controls alone, that would be functionally identical to what you want.

Windows 7 shell integration puts controls into the main taskbar pop-up, that's what I personally like to use (actually most of the time I use keyboard globals, but whatev).

And UI_Hacks can do a cool thing where middle clicking the tray icon is play/pause and using a mouse forward & back buttons on it change the track.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Neither ReplayGain or a normal normalizer are what you want. They're both just adjusting the overall gain, or volume level, on audio that you want to keep the range of. A compressor is kinda what you want, but it operates on too small of a timescale.

A tool meant for the purpose is Levelator. It was made for podcasters, so exactly the same idea. You'll have to de-encode the audio to waves and re-encode it after, but speech can take a couple of degrades without problem.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why can't I play this soundtrack that's encoded in .aac? It doesn't even show up in my library at all.
If the files are bare AAC, foobar can be really picky if out-of-spec things have been done to them. For example, id3 tags. You're not actually supposed to put id3 tags on a bare AAC with no container. A lot of tagging software will do it, and many music players will play it anyways. But foobar reads the "illegal" id3 tag as corrupt data.

The general solution is to re-package the aac files into mp4 files with a tool like mp4box.

(I can't tell you specifically what's wrong with that soundtrack because the zip file was downloading at 20k/s for me)

edit: oh wait the other common reason this can happen is that the files actually are MP4 files already but someone has set the extension to .aac instead. I think that's what your problem is, that produces the "won't even add to the playlist" result. Try renaming them to either .mp4 or .m4a and see if they work.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 26, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Desuwa posted:

Yeah that doesn't change anything, it'll still jump forwards/backwards in the shuffled playlist to the position of the song I added to the playback queue, like foobar did before.
What you'd want to do is queue the song that you want plus the current song that marks your position in the shuffle list. The playback queue plays everything in its list, but then returns to whatever the default next song is for the last track in the queue. So in your example you add 2 and then 5 to the queue, hit next to start playing 2, then you get 5 again (it would be ok though if you wait till a song change so you're returning to the song that was next on the list anyways).

quote:

I did some more searching and eventually turned up the idea of randomizing the playlist and using a "place after current" plugin. This seems to close enough to what I want that it's acceptable.
The authors of foobar seem to like randomizing the list itself instead of shuffle, so if you're ok with that you have the benefit of swimming with the current, as it were. A lot of people don't like randomized lists because they use UI plugins for fancy playlists with album art and stuff.

In foobar's defense, winamp's shuffle system is pretty idiosyncratic. I don't think any other player does that behavior. The problem is that AFAIK the playback order code is one of the areas that's not really exposed to the plugin api, so there's no way to add a winamp-imitation shuffle.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Yip Yips posted:

So I have a song that has an interlude that plays before it on the album, so it's actually two tracks. Is there a way I can make it always play the interlude first if the song comes up in the shuffle?
No.
You'd have to combine the two into a single track / file, which is a fairly simple procedure for most audio formats that doesn't require re-encoding or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You can merge the two tracks into a single one through foobar2000. Select them both, right click --> convert --> ... --> Destination --> select 'Merge all tracks into one output file'
This will re-encode the audio though, so unless you use a lossless codec it will lower the quality.

• Locked thread