Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
Well, after owning and modding many metrics, I am joining the ranks of proud Harley sportster owners!

Tomorrow I pick up my 1979 stroked Iron Head Chopper!

It's a basket case, engine hasn't fired in ten years. That's the bad news. Good news is it has a new Paughco frame, new twisted girder springer front end, new twisted spoke stainless wheels and tires, new oil tank, new billet forward controls, new sissy bar.

It also has an extra set of tin, the original chopper was a decent remake of "captain America" from easy rider.

Once I get it and a little forward progress I'll post a project log for it. Because it has two sets of tin I can keep the captain America, and sculpt up my own take on a cool ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

Though we are small, we are nimble.

It's good to hear I'll be nimble. I was worried that riding a hardtail with a severely raked tree and a springer fork was going to be a nightmare to handle.

I'm sure I'll be zipping around corners and maneuvering in parking lots with the greatest of ease!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

J Corp posted:

got any pictures of the twisted girder?

You might want to ditch that btw, unless it was built specifically for that bike. Girders don't really handle worth a gently caress unless somebody with some skill and patience sets one up properly. I like the looks of them, sometimes, but I've never liked riding one.

e: read your last post, is it a girder or a springer?

My bad, wrong terminology. It's a springer with the spiral metal on top.

Its a little more worse for wear then I thought, and the stupid thing won't fit in my shed so I rented some shop space. I started on some of the build design work, I'm looking forward to building it, but maybe not driving it!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Raven457 posted:

that looks like a bad idea waiting to happen

That's kinda my thing, bad ideas on two wheels. Here's my current bike.

It's not that fast and handles like putting a saddle on a pig. I imagine my ironhead will handle even worse!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Raven457 posted:

I'm not even going to lie - I can't own a cruiser, but I'd ride the everloving gently caress out of that. Details on the build, please??

You cant own a cruiser? Are you allergic? My cousin has a cruiser allergy, he sneezes when he gets even near a dyna, and has to keep an epi-pen on hand for when he passes full-dresser baggers!

Seriously though, it is a fun bike to cruise around on. The seat gets old after five hours or three hundred miles, other then that it's pretty comfy.

The real upside to it is how happy it makes people, I've had a ton of fun driving all over southern Louisiana with it.

I have a build blog for it, but it's on a miniature gaming forum so the motorcycle parts are light on details. Also it's super-nerds, so I apologize in advance.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/529268.page

Only real engine mods to it was dropping the sludge box and dog dish, dropping K&M filters directly onto the carbs and re-jetting the needles. Other then that it's a stock 2003 V-star classic 1100.

I will be giving a similar treatment to the ironhead. I'm going with a full cemetery look to it complete with a custom coffin tank, cemetery statue Angels and a tombstone. I don't plan on it being as mobile as the Ork warbike, it's probably going to be more of a show bike.

My main reason to get the ironhead was to learn more about engines, and TIG welding.

Then I'll sell it and start over!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I have a good build order for the chopper, once all the manufactured pieces are on all existing parts will be measured for any flaws, and repaired or replaced as warranted.

Sadly I'm working 72 hours a week right now, so I probably won't start the build thread until winter break. I am getting a new shop just for motorcycles, so I'm pretty excited about that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

I've always been curious about the build process of one of these bikes: In general, are many hours spent finding just the right piece in just the right weathered condition, or are the hours spent cutting, shaping, and "weathering" parts before putting on the bike? Or, is very little time spent and it is more like "it looked cool so I welded it on? Serious question and I am not mocking in any way. I like rat bikes but would never build one because I am clumsy and would impale myself on it in the garage sitting still.

I think I'll just make a build thread for my rat bike, it was actually an interesting process. (Especially considering I knew nothing about bikes and how they work when I started.)

There are a few different camps of rat rod and rat bike owners. Some only use recycled parts, And feel a true rat rod fixes anything broken in the cheapest, red-neck way possible. They are kinda purists, and so usually don't like my bike as much.

The second camp is more modern, the "apocalypse bike" crowd. It became pretty popular after the first mad max movie, but even today I've seen apoc bikes in the form of zombie hunters. These bikes tend to be much more thought out.

The third group usually love and live on their bike, adding tokens and fetishes to their bikes until they resemble mobile homes covered in bones.

Mine was built to resemble a miniature, so I used anything to get the job done. All the rust and aging is fake, he'll the giant 1/4 plate teeth on the jaw and fairing are actually plastic!

• Locked thread