Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Fake Harley post:

From top to bottom: MX250, SX175, SX250, A Rotax with a Harley sticker

My dad sold all the vintage bikes to buy one modern dirt bike. It was a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

As I mentioned in the stupid poo poo thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSmsmclOnOI

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Harley has this bike anatomy thing on their website. I think it's broken:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I rode my Blast for two years without any real problems. Sure, it wasn't anything fantastic, but it got the job done. It managed a 6 hour round trip and countless times being jumped off curbs. The Ninja 250 is certainly a better bike, but I didn't think the Blast was terrible.

My opinion might be a little biased since I have been around Harleys and Buells my whole life, but I figure I rode them enough to make a good judgement.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is it bad that I can tell that was taken inside a dealership because of the shelving it's on?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I found some fun stuff when I was cleaning out my attic the other day. Everything seems to be from the mid 90s.

The coloring book wasn't all that exciting, but they did give us a space to design our own Harley of the Future:

As you can see, I wasn't much of an artist at age 7.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Harley's been doing the same "change two parts, make it a new model" routine since the 80s. I want to say that that idea was part of the reason they were able to buy themselves back from AMF.

As for not working on your own bike, when I worked at the Harley dealership, I got a tip from a guy for zip-tying an American flag to his sissy bar because he couldn't figure out how to do it himself.

And street-tracker sportsters are the best sportsters.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

CombatMedic posted:

Would I need some kind of aftermarket 12v cigarette lighter socket that plugs into this?

Harley has a cigarette lighter plug (91843-97), it's probably listed under Touring. You should be fine with an aftermarket one to save some money, but I'm pretty sure that official Harley one has the right clips on the end of it to make things a little easier. Your V-Rod's wiring harness probably doesn't have an open accessory plug though, which is what the adapter you found was for.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

They're called Deutsch connectors. A dealership should have them if you want to try to splice your own wire, and I'd imagine you can find an extension somewhere. Or just buy the connector and put it on an aftermarket cigarette lighter plug.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Giblet Plus! posted:

gently caress THE HATERS

My Blast took a lot of abuse from me, and for that I loved it. They're awesome and you should love it.

And one of my Firebolt because Buells are just cool.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

And from what I've heard, changing the pads before they get really worn keeps the rotor from warping on the street.

angryhampster posted:

Whud up CAHOG

Bugs are bad this year in Iowa. My ride was around 75 miles today and my shield was covered in them. Also, my speedometer cable decided to relieve itself from duty about halfway through my ride. Sending unit's threads stripped out I think...not exactly sure how.

Your Sportster looks like it's in amazing shape. What year is it?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

angryhampster posted:

Thanks! It's a 1983. It is in pretty decent shape. Paint has a few chips in it, and there's an oil leak that I can't track down. Other than that, it's really a great bike. It was my father's -- he passed away when I was 3 and left it to me.

That's really cool. If it's not a huge oil leak, then it's just the ironhead's way of telling you that it still has oil in it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

So you want to try riding a bike but don't have a license? Well, Harley-Davidson can help you out

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Is there a CA Twitter circle-jerk? If not, there should be

Didn't it used to be #bieks? I'm gonna have to make a twitter just for this.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I thought he was referring to the CA circlejerk the rest of the time.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you guys are willing to believe a "I know a guy who knows a guy" story, those water cooled head ideas have been floating around Harley for years and have repeatedly been shot down. Emissions probably will eventually force it, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My dad used to have a few cans of Harley beer from various years of Daytona. I gotta see if he still has them.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I like how you went from saying that a fork brace was too expensive to just buying a new bike. That matte white is a really cool look.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I checked out the HD website to see the 2013 models released today. Everything has a metal flake paint option and they no longer sell the XR.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know all of the stupid reasoning, its just so drat frustrating to see a local company that has a huge influence around here just piss away opportunities to garner a fanbase beyond their aging current one.

Well, they seem to be doing pretty well with getting to hipsters with Dark Customs or whatever. The motor company always tends to copy what the custom scene is doing, so maybe we'll see a cafe racer of some sort soon.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If only they still made a V-Rod with mid-mount pegs... :allears:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Have some pictures of my dad's first Sportster before someone starts suggesting violence to deal with loud pipes.

And then he put some normal forks on it

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

He only started drinking PBR last year. I don't know if that makes him more or less of a hipster.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Phy posted:

I was talking about how if I ever got my mitts on a Night Rod, I'd want to convert it to mid controls... HD is now selling a kit for that. So that's neat.

Where did you find that? I can't find anything on their website.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

DILLIGAF posted:

Was packing some boxes and found some pics I had forgotten about.

This is my 980 FLHS on the day in bought it back in April 1990.

I wasn't alive in the 80s, but my dad had a FLHT back then too.

I was talking to him about it today, and apparently he rode it through a few snowstorms.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ironhead posted:

Out of curisoity, what part of the country? I've had my FXDL buried in snow banks so badly that I've walked to the yard and driven a front end loader back to dig it out. Are there people who don't do that kind of poo poo?

Connecticut. I don't know if it was that deep of snow, but it was definitely a few inches on unplowed roads. Considering cars start spinning out with a dusting, I thought it was somewhat impressive.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Pubic Lair posted:

What I can't figure out is why harley makes a sportster 48 and a sportster 72 but not a 57. Had they come out with it last year it would have even been it's 55th anniversary of production.

Since I couldn't buy one I've slowly been trying to make one. Last fall I picked up an 2002 1200 that looked like this.

After pulling the windshield and sissy bar I changed out the bars, headlight and seat and added fork boots, whitewalls, crash bars, highway pegs, taillight hood and retro grips. It currently looks like this.

I really like it and almost every time I'm riding somebody will run up and ask me what year it's from thinking it's a 50's era bike. I'm still debating on getting wire wheels and a 2 into 1 exhaust with a cocktail shaker muffler but the wheels would be a safety and maintenance downgrade from cast and I can't find an old looking exhaust for under $600.

They made a 50th anniversary model and a bunch of stick on parts. I don't remember it selling well.

Your's looks cool, though.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got to check out one of the '14 Ultras that had water cooling today. I thought it looks like they've been designing it for a while, not like they just slapped it on to pass regulations. I'm interested to see how the system holds up in the long run.

I also messed around with the touchscreen "infotainment" and bluetooth:

I think I got Lowtax's number from his twitter, if you're wondering

I don't know what anything comparable on BMWs or Goldwings is like, but this had both touch and controls on the handlebars, and seemed pretty straightforward to use. Apparently the volume adjusts based on your speed too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

IRL Cool Guy Motorcycles *flicks poker chips at u*

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

I hope this doesn't mean the end of the line for the evo engine, I know they had to switch to water cooling eventually but this has a 60 degree v angle, overhead cams, balance shafts and no hydraulic lifters. I know it's a minority opinion around here but I actually like that Harleys (and Buells) use 50s engine tech. My dad got a little excited about there finally being a 750cc Harley again though.

The 750 never left. It just costs something like $13000 for an unmachined one.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The V-Rod was their first water-cooled, and I wouldn't really call it a cruiser. This bike is basically to test the waters and see what people think of the electric bike, and then maybe they'll build a cruiser around it.

That and you can't really do much "cruising" in the range of the battery.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

DJCobol posted:

The lady at the dealer didn't get it when I asked if I could apply for a personalized plate instead of a standard one, and put "LYRDN" on the application.

This was a good choice.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There is also a Harley branded Sena if you really want the logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

bear is driving! posted:

I'm going to Virginia Beach all next week on vacation. The local harley shop there charges $200 A DAY for bike rentals. It's insane.

Was that at Bayside in Portsmouth or Southside in VB itself? The riding around Virginia Beach isn't good enough to be worth that.

• Locked thread