Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

CrashCat posted:

Emailed the programmer of the battery saver app I was using and he said not only does switching mobile data require root but also switching Lollipop's own battery saver. So for 'updating' my phone I now have to go in and mash their battery saver manually every time I unplug. Gee thanks.

You can set it to manually come on at 15% battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Aren't most battery saver apps a complete waste of time or actually make stuff worse?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Aren't most battery saver apps a complete waste of time or actually make stuff worse?
They are. All they do is disable stuff that should be on causing apps to malfunction in new and unexpected ways, sometimes causing them to run amok defeating the purpose.

To think of it another way, if they worked why aren't they part of the OS by default?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Can I change sensitivity settings for notifications on an app-by-app basis? I thought I remember reading how in this thread (or the other) but I can't seem to find it now

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

myron cope posted:

Can I change sensitivity settings for notifications on an app-by-app basis? I thought I remember reading how in this thread (or the other) but I can't seem to find it now

Can you be more specific? Are you talking about the lollipop "sensitivity" status of a notification? Or just the order they pop up under your notification bar?

If it's the latter, there's really not a way you can do it - I mean there probably is, but it most likely involves rooting your phone and all that stuff. Very rarely do individual apps give you an option to set their priority. Which is a shame, because I'd love to be able to set Play music to always be at the top with full controls, for example, instead of getting squeezed down when an email comes in.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

myron cope posted:

Settings - Sound and notifications - App Notifications

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can you be more specific? Are you talking about the lollipop "sensitivity" status of a notification?

I'm talking about this one. Every notification I get says "contents hidden". Some screenshots I've seen show a slider for sensitive in the app notification page, mine just shows block or priority (priority being where you get notified even in priority mode), there's no sensitivity choice in any app I've looked at

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

They are. All they do is disable stuff that should be on causing apps to malfunction in new and unexpected ways, sometimes causing them to run amok defeating the purpose.

To think of it another way, if they worked why aren't they part of the OS by default?

Yeah the only good battery saving app I've used is the built-in one (on my HTC One M8), and even that one isn't that great. Also largely unnecessary because as long as I remember to plug my phone in at least every other day it never gets anywhere near dying.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

myron cope posted:

I'm talking about this one. Every notification I get says "contents hidden". Some screenshots I've seen show a slider for sensitive in the app notification page, mine just shows block or priority (priority being where you get notified even in priority mode), there's no sensitivity choice in any app I've looked at

That's uhh...pretty weird? What device are you using, and is it an official update (or did you flash some weirdo hacked rom)? Just to be clear, you're talking about the settings>sound and notifications>app notifications area right? Make sure you also look at the "when device is locked" settings as well (also in sound & notifications area).

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's uhh...pretty weird? What device are you using, and is it an official update (or did you flash some weirdo hacked rom)? Just to be clear, you're talking about the settings>sound and notifications>app notifications area right? Make sure you also look at the "when device is locked" settings as well (also in sound & notifications area).

Nexus 6. Yes, settings >sound and notifications>app notifications. The when this device is locked setting is "hide sensitive notification content". It's just treating everything as sensitive. Even acar telling me my oil change is overdue

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

myron cope posted:

Nexus 6. Yes, settings >sound and notifications>app notifications. The when this device is locked setting is "hide sensitive notification content". It's just treating everything as sensitive. Even acar telling me my oil change is overdue

Switch the locked setting to "show all notification content" and it'll probably work how you want. You can then go into individual apps and set it to restrict. With the settings I just described, I have pretty much every app but email and messaging display it's contents on the lock screen.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Switch the locked setting to "show all notification content" and it'll probably work how you want. You can then go into individual apps and set it to restrict. With the settings I just described, I have pretty much every app but email and messaging display it's contents on the lock screen.

Hooray, that was it. That's...not so intuitive. Thanks though!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using the Gmail app for my school's non-Gmail email ok for a couple weeks now. However, I have a couple of folders set up on the school server that Gmail sees as labels. When an email comes in that goes to one of those folders/labels, I don't get a notification. I've gone through the settings and I can't find anything about this; am I missing something, or is Google?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

myron cope posted:

Hooray, that was it. That's...not so intuitive. Thanks though!

Are you new to Android? You'll be saying "that's not so intuitive" a lot! :v:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

hooah posted:

I've been using the Gmail app for my school's non-Gmail email ok for a couple weeks now. However, I have a couple of folders set up on the school server that Gmail sees as labels. When an email comes in that goes to one of those folders/labels, I don't get a notification. I've gone through the settings and I can't find anything about this; am I missing something, or is Google?

You'll need to set a notification for each label in the GMail app. Go to Settings > Manage Labels and click on each label you want to change notifications for.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

effika posted:

You'll need to set a notification for each label in the GMail app. Go to Settings > Manage Labels and click on each label you want to change notifications for.

I don't have that option in either the general settings or the settings for the account.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I don't have that option in either the general settings or the settings for the account.
It's under settings for the account, third up from the bottom between Days of GMail to sync and Download attachments.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

LastInLine posted:

This isn't some lovely task killer app, it just cycles the data off for 15 minutes or so when you're not using it, turns it on, watches to let the network traffic finish, then shuts it off again. It hasn't been any more harmful to apps than going in and out of coverage and it really had been working on my battery life. Apps tend to get crazy with the amount of times they phone home, and not all of them are polite enough to let you choose. I got at least another half a battery worth out of it. And now it's broken and I have to wipe my phone to root it. Turning battery saver on at 15% is useless to me, that's like putting the brakes on halfway when you're sailing off the cliff face.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CrashCat posted:

This isn't some lovely task killer app, it just cycles the data off for 15 minutes or so when you're not using it, turns it on, watches to let the network traffic finish, then shuts it off again. It hasn't been any more harmful to apps than going in and out of coverage and it really had been working on my battery life. Apps tend to get crazy with the amount of times they phone home, and not all of them are polite enough to let you choose. I got at least another half a battery worth out of it. And now it's broken and I have to wipe my phone to root it. Turning battery saver on at 15% is useless to me, that's like putting the brakes on halfway when you're sailing off the cliff face.
So all it does is turn it into a dumbphone for 56 minutes per hour, that doesn't sound horrible at all.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

It's under settings for the account, third up from the bottom between Days of GMail to sync and Download attachments.

Not for me. Here's a screenshot of all the settings I have under Gmail -> settings -> [school email]:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CrashCat posted:

You should probably uninstall apps that continuously want to communicate when you don't want them to?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

hooah posted:

Not for me. Here's a screenshot of all the settings I have under Gmail -> settings -> [school email]:

Try looking under your GMail account, not the school account's settings.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

effika posted:

Try looking under your GMail account, not the school account's settings.

The particular labels for my school folders don't show up there. At least that makes sense, though!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

The particular labels for my school folders don't show up there. At least that makes sense, though!
I'm confused then. Either you have GMail importing the mail and applying a label or you're just using the GMail app grabbing the mail and keeping it separate. It sounds like you're trying to do both which is not going to work.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nintendo Kid posted:

You should probably uninstall apps that continuously want to communicate when you don't want them to?
Fair enough, do you have anything I could use to figure out which ones they are?

Also I get that it sounds stupid to turn off communication on a communication device, but I just don't get any communication that needs to be addressed immediately. If I was constantly getting IMs or tweets or some poo poo I would just suck it up and throw my phone on a charger every couple hours or shut it off.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 23, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CrashCat posted:

Fair enough, do you have anything I could use to figure out which ones they are?

Also I get that it sounds stupid to turn off communication on a communication device, but I just don't get any communication that needs to be addressed immediately. If I was constantly getting IMs or tweets or some poo poo I would just suck it up and throw my phone on a charger every couple hours or shut it off.

Your system menu should have a data usage section, which will tell you how much each application has used over cell data in a certain time period. If you deliberately avoid doing anything over cell data for like a day but leave it on for applications to try to contact things, they should turn up if you set the filter to the past day.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CrashCat posted:

Also I get that it sounds stupid to turn off communication on a communication device, but I just don't get any communication that needs to be addressed immediately.
I understand that but the question was

Skarsnik posted:

and disabling data on a device which is useless without it would certainly fall under "make stuff worse".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

I understand that but the question was
and disabling data on a device which is useless without it would certainly fall under "make stuff worse".

If an app wants to get online for some reason, two things happen.

1) the app wakes up the CPU to start doing whatever
2) the CPU engages the radio to pull down data

If you break #2 the app still wakes up the cpu because until then the app doesn't know #2 will fail. So if you kill the connection you only make CPU awake time worse as the app tries over and over to get online. You save the power of engaging the modem but consume a lot more juice with the CPU.

Bottom line is to stop using poorly behaving apps. Using a battery saver usually hides a problem by making a new and often worse one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

And the thing is that this is built into Lollipop, the app just has to make use of it. Of course, if the lovely app was abusing the connection before what are the chances it will use the delayed updating API going forward?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Bottom line is to stop using poorly behaving apps. Using a battery saver usually hides a problem by making a new and often worse one.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I'm confused then. Either you have GMail importing the mail and applying a label or you're just using the GMail app grabbing the mail and keeping it separate. It sounds like you're trying to do both which is not going to work.

I want to do the second, and I set up the account separately (No forwarding). I didn't create the labels, Gmail did when I set up the account.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I want to do the second, and I set up the account separately (No forwarding). I didn't create the labels, Gmail did when I set up the account.
Basically you can't do this. The Gmail app will only notify for new messages that arrive in the Inbox for third-party accounts. Old AOSP Email worked the same way.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

Basically you can't do this. The Gmail app will only notify for new messages that arrive in the Inbox for third-party accounts. Old AOSP Email worked the same way.

Well, that's good to know, at least. I guess it's back to BlueMail for that account.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nintendo Kid posted:

Your system menu should have a data usage section, which will tell you how much each application has used over cell data in a certain time period. If you deliberately avoid doing anything over cell data for like a day but leave it on for applications to try to contact things, they should turn up if you set the filter to the past day.
So I just remove any app that uses any data at all when I didn't open it that day? Welp.

Even better, Lollipop took out the slider to view usage for a specified date range instead of the billing period, so I can't even do that. :laugh:

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 24, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to get chrome to translate a page on demand? I disabled automatic translation because it was actively making things worse for me, but in some cases I need to translate a page into a different language and I didn't find a way to do that so far.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Anyone have any recommendations for a live wallpaper that does:

-night/day
-live weather
-seasonal changes

Closest I've found is one called Forest Live Wallpaper but it's lacking a few things and the dev outright states that he's lazy and won't update it often. I used to use Beautiful Widgets live wallpaper but it really hasn't aged well on larger screens.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
drat, I used to use the beautiful widgets live wallpaper all the time. I think it was like 3 years in a row - I finally gave up on it because it had all sorts of problems with "newer" (back then, at least) versions of android. Sucks to see they haven't really done much with it since :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I gave it up for the same reason as Require More Fire back when I got the Nexus 5, it just wasn't beautiful anymore. I loved that wallpaper. RMF, if you do find a high res, non-data stealing, good looking wallpaper with day/night, live weather, and seasons please do report back.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It looks like SoundCloud and Google play music are exempt from counting against your data caps on T-Mobile now.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/24/7275539/t-mobile-adds-google-play-music-xbox-music-soundcloud-music-freedom

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

LastInLine posted:

I gave it up for the same reason as Require More Fire back when I got the Nexus 5, it just wasn't beautiful anymore. I loved that wallpaper. RMF, if you do find a high res, non-data stealing, good looking wallpaper with day/night, live weather, and seasons please do report back.

I'd probably still use it if they would just do something about the resolution. Seeing the same pattern of stars repeated in neat rows on my screen is bad for my nerd OCD.

So far the best I've found is the aforementioned Forest Live Wallpaper but it's in need of some refinement and the dev is not exactly setting the world on fire with updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

It looks like SoundCloud and Google play music are exempt from counting against your data caps on T-Mobile now.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/24/7275539/t-mobile-adds-google-play-music-xbox-music-soundcloud-music-freedom

The full list is available on the T-Mo website.

• Locked thread