Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

I checked out the Photos app, but, despite it being nice, didn't see a reason to keep it. I'm just going to stick with QuickPic for browsing them and G+ to auto backup.
G+ upload doesn't exist any more, this replaces it.

quote:

Photos also said it was uploading 650+ photos, when everything that I want backed up is already backed up. I wasn't worried about data overages or cloud storage, but I don't want a poo poo load of duplicates.
It does some kind of rescan but doesn't re-upload anything that's already there, you can safely let this run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

So even on the web interface it doesn't seem like there is any way to tell Google Photos that what it thinks are two separate people are actually one person. Hopefully that is coming.

Yeah this is really bothering me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The guy in charge of Google Photos actually stated that such a feature exists, so presumably it's coming pretty soon.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Not sure if this was posted already, but this smart lock thing looks boss.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/28/smart-lock-now-acts-as-a-password-manager-using-your-google-account-for-both-chrome-and-android/

Wonder if it could replace lastpass for me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

Wonder if it could replace lastpass for me.
The problem is that apps will have to specifically add support for it. See the Google Play Games backup service for how well that kind of thing usually works out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing I think the photo's app needs is a way to easily view if a photo is a member of any album. Like, I should be able to tap on a photo in my stream and see "Ok, this is a member of x,y,and z albums" or "Oh, crap, I forgot to add this photo to my vacation pics!"

Even something as simple as a filter that shows you photos that are not members of any albums would be useful.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google Photos tells me it made a movie.

I watch it and it's a stupendously amazing movie collecting moments from my daughters life over the past 5 years. It literally brought tears to my eyes.

I click "Save".

Now I have no idea how to find it. :(

Well, I have an idea, I go to Search > Creations...but it's not there.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

I watch it and it's a stupendously amazing movie collecting moments from my daughters life over the past 5 years.

I click "Save".

Be patient. Once everyone down at the NSA field office is done with it they'll put it back.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
*sigh* I was really looking forward to the new photos app until I discovered that there is STILL no way to prevent it from showing every photo you've ever posted to a hangout in your gallery (other than signing out, which pretty much nullifies the new features).

What the loving gently caress google?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

I watch it and it's a stupendously amazing movie collecting moments from my daughters life over the past 5 years. It literally brought tears to my eyes.

I click "Save".

Well, I have an idea, I go to Search > Creations...but it's not there.

Maybe check under Collections? I just opened the app on my phone, and apparently my Collections are full of these AutoAwesome movies.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

the nicker posted:

*sigh* I was really looking forward to the new photos app until I discovered that there is STILL no way to prevent it from showing every photo you've ever posted to a hangout in your gallery (other than signing out, which pretty much nullifies the new features).

Yeah, this is stupid.

ringu0 posted:

Maybe check under Collections? I just opened the app on my phone, and apparently my Collections are full of these AutoAwesome movies.

It might be in there. Unfortunately, I've been using Photos and G+ for years and there's like a bajillion items in there. I'll try searching through them...

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

It might be in there. Unfortunately, I've been using Photos and G+ for years and there's like a bajillion items in there. I'll try searching through them...

If that helps, there is a dropdown you can use to display only movies.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

the nicker posted:

It also puts everything from your Google Drive in there. I put all my work on Drive, and a massive portion of that is reference images and WIP images. Like 70% of my whole photo gallery is just work poo poo. :negative:

Is there no way to disable that?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Taffer posted:

It also puts everything from your Google Drive in there. I put all my work on Drive, and a massive portion of that is reference images and WIP images. Like 70% of my whole photo gallery is just work poo poo. :negative:

Is there no way to disable that?

Go to Settings, and turn Google Drive off? I think that will do it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm looking for an app that will display C/F at the same time. Is there such a thing?

Reason being, I want to learn Celsius temperatures. Just to better understand the rest of the world and to make traveling just a teeny bit easier.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Go to Settings, and turn Google Drive off? I think that will do it.

Well that was easy. Was that in the previous app? I'm almost certain I looked for it and couldn't find it before.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Taffer posted:

Well that was easy. Was that in the previous app? I'm almost certain I looked for it and couldn't find it before.

It was. If only they would include the same toggle for Hangouts as well. It's really baffling to me. I refuse to believe that no one on the hangouts or photos development team at google EVER sends gifs of random things coming out of girls' assholes to their friends, and does not want them showing up in their gallery when they hand the phone to their mom to show her cat photos.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Taffer posted:

Yup, it was like the first thing I turned off back when Google+ Photos became A Thing.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm impressed so far with Photos - hopefully they'll make it possible to edit the images' metadata (location, date & time taken etc) soon.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm not impressed that my 'dogs' section is full of cats

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Obviously a conspiracy

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's unnatural is what it is

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

baka kaba posted:

Maybe Google knows something we don't. :tinfoil:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So, does anyone else's Google Play Music sometimes just refuse to actually...play music/have the bottom bar disappear entirely? Seems to be a fairly recent thing (last month or so) and it's super annoying. Stock Moto G.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So, does anyone else's Google Play Music sometimes just refuse to actually...play music/have the bottom bar disappear entirely? Seems to be a fairly recent thing (last month or so) and it's super annoying. Stock Moto G.
I use it every day and have not seen that behavior on my Nexus 5 (stock 5.1.1).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Fart of Presto posted:

I use it every day and have not seen that behavior on my Nexus 5 (stock 5.1.1).

I can usually trigger it if I go into the pinned music/downloaded music area, then back out.

AugustusLove
Mar 27, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

On my stock Moto E LTE, this happens occasionally (every couple of days) and the only way I can "fix it" is to reboot the phone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

AugustusLove posted:

On my stock Moto E LTE, this happens occasionally (every couple of days) and the only way I can "fix it" is to reboot the phone.

Yup, this is the only way I can fix it as well. Quite annoying.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is there an alarm app that works with the device turned off? (Apart from the default one)

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Is there an alarm app that works with the device turned off? (Apart from the default one)

Wait, since when does the default alarm app work with the device turned off? How does that even work?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

dik-dik posted:

Wait, since when does the default alarm app work with the device turned off? How does that even work?

It just does? I'm on 4.2 using a Lenovo Ideatab.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
So with 4.2 on a Lenovo Ideatab, you can literally power off the device and the alarm will still work? What sorcery is this?

e: I've been using the AVG Labs alarm clock for years. I don't like the UI change they made a few months ago but functionally it's everything I'd ask for. Unfortunately it is still bound by the laws of physics, so my phone needs to be on for it to run.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 30, 2015

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Old dumb phone alarms used to work when off, it's because they were actually in a standby rather than properly off. Perhaps this is the same?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Rusty! posted:

Old dumb phone alarms used to work when off, it's because they were actually in a standby rather than properly off. Perhaps this is the same?

Yeah it's probably on some low power standby, but I literally switch it off, otherwise that'd be too much battery consumption for the sake of alarm in the morning.

I'm surprised, I thought every phone/tablet has this feature.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
No one switches their phones or tablets off

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The google search app on my Nexus 5 seems busted - it doesn't show the keyboard / focus the search box when launched (via swipe up from home), and always shows "get now cards"bon launch even though I turned it off and signed out of google for search.

Does this happen for you?

I've switched to using the search shortcut replacement app that comes with Firefox, and does work.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

dissss posted:

No one switches their phones or tablets off

Yea, the only time they're off is when they run out of juice - so no way the alarm would work anyway.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Pfft, you're all just jealous of my super-tablet.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
What's the trick to get search working with the new Photos app? Everything is backed up online, but it just keeps saying "check back later."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So far the Google Photos auto uploader for windows has uploaded about 6000 of the 11000 photos/videos we've got and so far it's made 242 movies, animations, collages, stories and "enhanced photos". I counted by not clearing the notification on my phone so that it gives me the count in the notification.

• Locked thread