Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Whats a good app that lets me bind the vol up/down and power keys to media playback buttons? I want to be able to double click the vol up/down to do next/previous and double click the power button to play/pause. I hear it's built into CM7 but I like Sense on my Evo3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

hotsauce posted:

I'm growing tired of the Amazon app store fighting with Market apps on my phone.

Example: I got Shazam free from Amazon's free app of the day a while back.

Since updates on Amazon are delayed, I got Shazam from the 10 cent sale on the Android Market.

Today, I received an update from the Market for Shazam. Updated.
Then, I opened the Amazon market, say yet another update for Shazam.

After updating via Amazon, the Shazam app will not open.

Annoying that the two markets are fighting over who's update is correct, rendering the app in question useless in the end.

Stick a fork in the Amazon fork already.

Pretty sure amazon apps have some DRM in them that require the Amazon App store to be installed. Uninstall the app using the Amazon App store then redownload from the market.

Why would you update with 2 completely different app stores anyway?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Mega Comrade posted:

I get the same problem even when I uninstall the Amazon version. Keeps telling me to "update" it when in reality it's downgrading it to a version well out of date.

I only keep the Amazon market installed because I'm afraid of losing out on the occasion decent free app, although that seems to be less and less of an occurrence these days.

You can turn off automatic updates in the Amazon store. Just do it manually when you check for the (extremely) low chance of a decent free app being posted.

maverick99 posted:

Is there an app that would allow me to send free text messages to someone in the UK and that the person in the UK would not have to install this program? (just me installing it)

Google voice?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Edit: nvm

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

For you goons out there with Steam accounts, the new Steam app is in a closed beta. Installing and attempting a login puts you on the beta list.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.valvesoftware.android.steam.community

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

yamdankee posted:

Google Voice is set to make all calls with my GV number, but as of the last month or so people have been saying I'm calling them from a different number, my Verizon number. I've reinstalled GV, and it is still set to make all calls with GV number, but my Verizon number always shows up. Any ideas?

Welcome to Google Voice! Get used to settings randomly changing for no explainable reason and the changes won't even show on the settings page. Just set the setting to something else and then reset it the way you want and it should stick (for a while anyway). It's kind of annoying.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

yamdankee posted:

I try it on each of the settings and it's like I'm not changing anything. This is all through the app itself, should I try a setting somewhere else?

Yeah, the settings on the website offer even more stuff that you can't access in the app. It's pretty stupid.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

My gf's Swype keeps crashing every time she brings up the keyboard. I've run into this issue before on my phone and it requires deleting the Swype apk from the system folders and reinstalling which I proceeded to do. However, when I do that, the issue still pops up. More crashes.

What am I missing? She's running CleanRom reborn on an Evo3d.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Arcsech posted:

... poo poo like this that makes me just want to go Apple sometimes.

I assure you, as an iPod classic owner, Apple fucks this up just as hard.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Sir Lemming posted:

As an iPod touch owner, same deal. Nothing ever likes the way you tag your music, ever. iOS 5 has helped a little, but I've still got plenty of cases of albums split into separate albums for no reason, randomly losing album art, etc. It just comes with the territory. You have to do some babying to get it to work.

I just don't understand how something as simple as a music library system is so drat complicated. Sometimes I don't think the people that write these programs even listen to music. The iTunes developers sure as gently caress don't.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

To anyone who uses Google Currents, I just found out that it likes to cache EVERYTHING. The cache file is over 2GB on my SD card. I was wondering where all my space went...

What are some good alternatives?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Since you mentioned iTunes organizing your music collection, there is one issue I've seen with iTunes (all versions). ID3 tags are barely supported in iTunes and for some reason Apple would rather keep all that metadata in its own database instead of writing tags to the actual mp3 files. Are you sure those files are actually tagged properly by iTunes?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

The relevant part.

Starting 8/15 you will only be able to install Flash from the Play Store if your phone already had it installed and you're on 4.0 or lower. There will be no more brand new installations at all after 8/15 and no updates for 4.1 and later. In other words, mobile Flash is dead except for legacy devices and installations, and there's no telling how long that will last.

Considering how many people are stuck on GB (and Froyo) until they upgrade their phones thanks to lovely manufacturers that drag their heels on updating software, flash won't be going anywhere for at least another year.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

AnimalChin posted:

For those of you having trouble with beWeather, I'd just like to point out that Weatherbug Elite is still awesome.

I think I've tried just about every weather app there is and I always come back to WeatherBug. I've been using it for years, ever since I got my first android phone.

I just can't bring myself to install an app that had a history installing ad/malware on computers. I'm sure they've changed since then, but I don't trust the company.

Edit: it seems uninstalling BeWeather and reinstalling fixes the License Error problem, at least for now...

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 2, 2012

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

bull3964 posted:

What do you mean "Verizon's app store."

There should be a Google Play app on the phone like any other android phone.

As for Google Listen, I think google deadended it and it's not on the market anymore.

Each carrier has the right to enable/disable apps on the Play store for their network. It's really lovely.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

fudsak posted:

That would be a great (probably root-required) app: select apps to fake gps-off to. Facebook comes to mind.

I'd love it if I could revoke certain permissions from select apps. Facebook doesn't need to know my exact location every time I run the drat thing. I hear Cyanogen supports this but I've got an Evo 3D and....

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well, Angry Birds is free today...

Watch out for this, when an Angry Birds update rolls out it deletes your save file. Amazon App store is awful.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I have to recommend the NASA App if only to have the APOD set to your background image every day. It's fantastic if you're a space geek.

It also has a satellite/ISS tracker and NASA TV.

Edit: sadly the video features require Flash. :(

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 3, 2012

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

IRQ posted:

How do I make it do that?

It's the first option in the Settings menu.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Also be sure that the app you use can use the speakerphone mic instead of the regular one. Speakerphone mics are generally omnidirectional so it should pick up most of a decently sized room (at the cost of audio quality).

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Propaganda Panda posted:

February 15, 2005: The date that Martin S Edelman discovered the invention that changed history forever. "Eureka!" he cries. "A system for registering cd-keys... for mobile!"

So, Apples strategy of patenting stuff, then?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I wish google would just let you buy whatever app you wanted. Make a big red "YOUR DEVICE CANNOT RUN THIS, CONTINUE?" warning and a checkbox or something first.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

The latest version of Maps sucks. Between the battery issue (that I also have), they've removed the area of uncertainty circle when GPS is still locking on. You just appear to be jumping around all over the map with no discernible reason why.

Also, is there a way to force Maps to just use the hardware compass instead of GPS? My phone randomly takes forever to lock on and I usually just need to get a compass bearing when I'm coming out of a subway station.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

The only thing that makes me nervous about Swiftkey is that it logs everything you type, right? Doesn't that include passwords and whatnot? I've been using an old de-crappified version of Swype with the internet blocked (thanks, Droidwall!) because I was always afraid of the keyboard app having access to my passwords.

Please goons, relieve my paranoia about Swiftkey! I'm tired of this old version of Swype but could never go back to touch typing. I signed up for the new Switftkey beta so I'll give it a shot (probably going to block that too though).

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 25, 2012

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

LastInLine posted:

No you're definitely correct that the entire point behind Swype and SwiftKey were to create trust by legitimately serving millions of people just so they could harvest your password to SomethingAwful. The whole thing- hiring people, giving them wages and benefits, filing corporate tax returns, all of that is so they'd be able to maybe, just maybe, sniff out your online banking password so they could get away with the tens of dollars you have in checking. And if they manage to order something on your Amazon account, well, that's just gravy!

I'm not necessarily worried about the company behind these apps. I'm worried about their security. Data leaks happen all the drat time. But you just go on and troll anyway. :rolleyes:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Splizwarf posted:

Data leaks do happen all the time, including to the places where your passwords etc are stored. No, not Swype Headquarters, I mean all the places that you're using those passwords (like Sony Online :woop:). Anyone breaching the Swype Datafortress would have a way harder job making use of the information than the people who got usernames, passwords, and credit information all in a tidy package from Sony (especially because a lot of people re-use usernames and passwords all over the place). They'd need to decipher which things in your hundreds or thousands of personal words were actually login names and passwords, and then they're need to decide what those were credentials for. If your passwords are so bad that they give it away (like BankOfAmerica666) then I suppose you reap the derp you've sown. :v:

Thank you for explaining it intelligently and being straightforward.

LastInLine posted:

Being afraid of the data a well-known keyboard is sending home about your usage habits due to fears they're logging your information is pretty close to NSA mind-probe ray territory. Even if you have no idea how the data it's logging is being used (and judging by the question, he clearly doesn't) it's positively ridiculous to think that it's a security risk in the way of compiling usable information about a particular user.

Except that android has a very specific warning when you enable a 3rd party keyboard, stating that it has direct access to passwords, etc. It's hardly NSA mind-probe levels of insanity. It loving tells you right in the OS.

LastInLine posted:

I guess if someone though is dumb enough to use some version of the app that's been hacked up on xda to "de-crappify" it, then yeah, there's a risk it's harvesting your data. But who'd be retarded enough to use keyboard that's clearly been tampered with when the real version is freely available and is known to be trustworthy? You'd have to be pretty stupid to do that.

I never said it was a hacked version of Swype gotten off XDA. It's simply an old beta that I reverted back to from before they added a bunch of useless poo poo. It came from my own backup of the app. I might have used the wrong word "de-crappify" but you don't have to be offensive about it. Dick.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 25, 2012

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Jensen posted:

... you know exactly how Google uses the technology for their indoor street view of businesses. Someone needs to tell them they're using it wrong.

Sort of, they use a ball covered in cameras spaced perfectly apart to make the stitching seamless.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Aatrek posted:

Anybody got a good wireless tether app that works on JB devices? FoxFi doesn't work for anything above ICS yet, and I just upgraded my Verizon GS3 to a JB rom.

Doesn't get much better than this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Nitrousoxide posted:

So the Nexus 4 actually has a Qualcomm WTR1605L Seven-Band 4G LTE chip on board, sitting unused.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+4+Teardown/11781/3

Any chance the modding community will do something with it?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

You could just use the Dropbox app to automatically upload all pictures taken. If you want to root it for them you could also run Titanium Backup to automatically make backups of all user apps and upload it to dropbox.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

the posted:

FYI, the Time Warner Cable mobile app:

-Requires you disable USB debugging mode (why?)
-Pops up a message saying Live TV doesn't work on rooted devices (wtf?!)

What a surprise, another turd coming from TWC.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

The problem I have with Spotify is that it seems like they got all their audio files from Napster circa 2001. Tags are a mess, bands are credited with songs they didn't have anything to do with, and a lot of it sounds like it's 96k MP3 (and some of it sounds worse!)

As far as their music selection goes, some bands have nothing listed at all, while others have their complete library. It's kind of hit or miss.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

So I've inherited a large classic comic book collection. I'd like to categorize it easily so I can sell it if and when the time comes to do so (after I've read most/all of them). I was wondering if there's an app out there that will let me scan the barcode on each one and automatically pull info from some online database and get all the info on it and put it in a spreadsheet. If there was a way to do this, I'd be the happiest motherfucker alive as there are 15 boxes of books. Thanks.

Edit: I do have an old ipod touch laying around so if need be, I can use that. But I'm obviously looking for an android app.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 15, 2012

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Yeah, I just tried out the most recent Swype beta and it beats Flow hands down. Even the word prediction is better.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Wagonburner posted:

I looked at play store "my apps" today checking for updates, saw none but saw the 1st app on my installed list, Adfree android now had "moved to a new home" in its title. I clicked on it and it has notes in the description saying "do not install" (always pleasing to see that on an app that needs su) and gives a link to new version on play store. What's up with that? Why in the world would anyone update an app that way? Is the dev doing something weird/dumb? or is he working around something weird/dumb google did?

edit: link to old/do not install ver: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigtincan.android.adfree&hl=en

I don't know but AdAway is better in just about every way.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.adaway

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

LastInLine posted:

Is there a way to stop the notification after it updates?

No, I don't think so.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Mister Snips posted:

I played two songs on google music yesterday and they used 30mb of data each. I turned off caching and every loving setting imaginable.

Does google music convert all of your music to flac before it streams it or something? jesus loving christ. I almost went over 5 gigs of data last month because on the car and train ride up to chicago i used 3 gigs of data streaming a handful of albums. Whereas an entire month's worth of high quality pandora while driving around only used like 300mb

Google music doesn't convert anything unless you upload FLAC/OGG's (and are then converted to 320k MP3). They are streamed in the bitrate of your uploaded files.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Because using a free alternative is totally ripping off the poor hard working android developer. Just because someone is using a free alternative that might fit their needs just fine doesn't mean they're stealing from some dude that decided to charge a couple bucks for what is essentially the same thing. How dare people use free software.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I get this Google music glitch where you hit play and the app says it's playing, the time ticks up but there no audio at all. The only fix that I've found was to force close the app and start over. Google music is a pile of junk but such a good concept. I wish Google would give it some love from more than 1 employee or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Cruseydr posted:

Rooted stock EVO 3D.

Do yourself a favor and just install this. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2098121

Unless of course you actually care about the 3D gimmick.

• Locked thread