Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

C-Euro posted:

E: Also the ad-free version of TripIt is Amazon's daily free app. Any goons know of it?

Thanks for this! I used to use tripit for iOS and it works pretty decently. For free it's a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Disappointed. Wanted to buy a few if the $0.10 apps for my new Nexus S but apparently since I live and work in China I'm boned. Even market enabler wouldn't work. Just got an error when trying to buy.

I hear the foreign SIM card trick still works... Now if I only had one of those...

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Mistikman posted:

The problem here of course is that many of my contacts don't call me via my google voice number, they use my normal cell number. My landline doesn't help me there.

No answer/busy call forwarding. Look it up for your carrier. Should be pretty easy to set up with just a key combo. forward it to Gvoice to call your home phone and then take a message if you don't answer there either.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

Android Market version 3.4.4 is rolling out. Direct download for the impatient.

Much better performance, though I kind of miss the header indicators.

I downloaded it tried to install. Got a check mark and Application not installed.

Cleared app data and cache. Rebooted. Still a no go. Any suggestions?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I've had that happen (though not this time) and I had to rename to Vending.apk, replace the one /system/app, change permissions to match the rest of the apps in there, and reboot.

This worked. Man, that was way too much work for something that should be so simple.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

hotsauce posted:

I thought the "trace path to unlock" was patented by Apple? The 2nd screenshot looks a blatant ripoff of the trace idea.

I'm downloading while it lasts...

Edit: Welp, not compatible with ICS, so Galaxy Nexus users are out in the cold.

Skins with the slide to unlock have been available all over the internet for a few years now, going back as far as WinMo 6.0, I don't think anything is really gonna happen.

edit: you're probably right, I think Apple did create it, but it's been ripped off over and over ever since

SB35 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 16, 2011

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

murkdotdoc posted:

Is it ok to post my own app? It's free and contains no ads but if not I'll use re-use this post to talk about..a different app.

Tap Location

I developed this app, it's basic but I'm pleased with the out come and would like to share/hear feedback on it if you'd like.

It does these things:
● One touch geo-location using your network-provider or GPS.
● Configure a preset message when sending the message to friends and family.
● Attach Latitude and Longitude coordinates to the message.
● Easily search through your contacts by scrolling or use active search in app.

I'm aware that gmaps has similar functionality but I wanted a stand alone app for this process. Plus there are a few coding bits that I want to re-use in later apps that I sorted out in this one.

Won't you try it out?

Looks interesting. I do like the thought of attaching latitude and longitude coordinates to a message easily. That's slick. I'm just curious about the country restrictions...

Android Market posted:

China Mobile Samsung Nexus S
This item cannot be installed in your device's country.

Since it's free, I'm just a little confused why it'd be blocked in China.

I mean, I can just use MarketEnabler, but still.

EDIT: I tried it, seems to work alright securing my location over wifi, but using GPS I waited for 3-5min and it still wouldn't update with my location. Also forces the US number format on all phone numbers in your phone book when looking them up with the app (not great)

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 19, 2011

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
This is probably a silly request, but can anyone recommend a world clock widget that displays 2 or 3 time zones? There are just so drat many I don't know which to pick.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

LastInLine posted:

boat browser

I know I might be like the tenth person to say it now, but the boat browser is a-ok!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

blargle posted:

Is there any way to disable or remove the "ES" button in Swype? It's in a super prominent spot next to the spacebar and I hit it all the time by accident and change the keyboard to Spanish. Seems odd for something you set once and never change again.

Unfortunately probably not, save for disabling all languages but English, though the key will still be there. I really like the Swype concept but I too am disappointed with some of their layout decisions. I do use the language key, but a giant smiley key? WTF?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

IRQ posted:

I've just gone back to Slide It. Same input method, less dumb things.

I've been Looking at switching but only Swype supports Mandarin Chinese as a language, swiftkeyx and slideit do not.

If switching between input methods in Android was a bit another or quicker it wouldn't be a problem.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I use the smiley key constantly but I've never learned another language.

What I don't understand is why have the smiley key when there is a smiley on the (long press) Z key too now? That's redundant. I also really don't like the little box that pops up, why not sort the smilies up there in the word tray like words are normally?

It's the same problem that happens when you're typing in Chinese. If it's not a well known combination you'll get a little text bubble asking you
"did you mean...
ZhangBa
ZhanFa
ShangMa"

and it's in such a tiny box it's tough to tap on. Really upsets the flow of the whole "swype" concept in my opinion.After reaching way up to the text box to tap that box, then you get your selection of characters in the word tray.

BrainParasite posted:

I find it annoying that slide it, swiftkey, and Swype could easily be combined into one much much better keyboard.
Holy gently caress yes. They're all like half-assed rip offs of each other. Despite constant requests in their forums, the swype developers won't institute many of the simple features that SwiftkeyX and SlideIT have like independent languages & keyboards, or skins.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

hooah posted:

I've been trying out Boat Browser for a couple days now, and just noticed I'm missing something: find in page. This seems to be missing in a lot of Android browsers, and is a big reason I stuck with Opera for a while. Am I just unable to find it, or does Boat not have that function?

Boat has this but it's buried deep in the menu. it's called "Find on Page" and has a big T with a magnifying glass next to it. You can customize the menu to make it easily accessible if you wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Star Warrior X posted:

Whoops! I'm talking about this one.

This is an interesting concept, I like the idea! Gotta try it sometime.

• Locked thread