Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ericadia posted:

Afaik they wont install automatically.

Maybe not all of them. But first boot and sign in on my nexus greeted me to about 40 apps downloading and setting themselves up.

Mileage may very.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sunblood posted:

Is there a way to turn off the notification LED for, say, Gmail during specific hours? More than a couple times I've woken up to a bright green light and been unable to fall asleep until I clear the notification. Droid X CM7. I looked through CM7's LED settings and couldn't find anything useful.

I suppose I could use Tasker to turn off auto-sync but I'd like a more specific solution if there's one out there.

I ended up just flipping my phone upside down. Maybe its better now but quiet hours never worked quite right for my dx.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Casualty posted:

I don't even know. I checked off like 5 albums to be uploaded and the next thing I know there's like 4,000 songs and a few audiobooks in line to be sent to the phone. I think it did it all automatically via the Google Music Manager program on my computer. I think I might have to change the settings there, then uninstall Music on my phone, and start over, because as far as I can tell there's no way to clear the cue (this kind of bullshit is why I stopped using iTunes way back in the day...)

edit: I just cleared the cue by clearing the app's data in the main app settings, just in case anyone else was wondering how to.

You understand its a cloud service right?

I ask because I have just shy of 20,000 songs on it and my phone storage is unaffected. And I have access to everything minus some obscure encoded wma poo poo or really hosed up bitrate tracks.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Casualty posted:

Yeah, but unless I'm failing to grasp something basic here, why would I want to automatically download dozens of gigs of music to my phone when there's only about 5 gigs I want to have, and everything else can stream when I feel like it? The only songs I really want on my phone are what I listen to when I'm working out, or on the train, and just some songs I really like. Everything else can just sit on my home computer and I can stream it. Why would I want all that stuff taking up space on my phone? It isn't just saying "hey I synced to your google account so you can stream all these songs," it's going "hey by the way I'm downloading 4,000 tracks to your hard drive!"

so manually move a few gigs or use win amp or something to micro manage local music and use google for cloud services? That's what I've always done. That way I have music if I'm in dead areas or have poo poo service .

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Popehoist posted:

The HTC Sense messaging app is driving me bonkers, since it has an annoying habit of ordering messages in the wrong order occasionally. Usually it will place my reply above the original message in the timeline if I replied in less than 10 seconds. Can anyone reccomend a good messaging replacement app? I don't need bells and whistles I just want something with a functioning timeline.

Vote for GoSms here

Love Go products.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Craptacular! posted:

I'm using BeWeather Pro on a rooted phone and it's fine for me, though I'm not using the widget (using the lockscreen weather built into the past week's builds of CM9 instead.)

I have Android stuff and my Mom has iOS stuff. Can anyone recommend a specific videochat app that runs on both systems? I know some plenty are there, but I've heard complaints about Skype killing batteries on Android even when it isn't running, complaints about Tango signing up people to email spam and possibly charging their credit cards, and so on. We tried Vtok which is an iOS app that supports the GChat protocols built into Android, but my Mom claimed it was somehow bugged and causing an unbearable loud noise.

Tango

Its not fantastic. But it works and my mother can use it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rolleyes posted:

I actually still do most of my messaging via email or text because I don't like to be tied into a solution which can be shut off / broken / otherwise screwed with by one provider with no oversight. That, and I'll be damned if I want my parents on Facebook. I love my folks but, like the rest of you I'm sure, there are some things you'd share with your friends that you really wouldn't share with your parents. If I added them to a restricted list they'd just get insulted that I "didn't trust them" or something.

In short, if I start the conversation it's by usually by text or email. I'll reply to Google / Facebook Chat messages if someone else starts it though.

I have my whole family on facebook, and dont have that problem. And I cant think of a single thing I wouldnt share and hide from any of them. Weird concept.

gently caress facebook messenger though. The poo poo works when it wants. Thankfully its flawless on my nexus 7, but on my razr maxx (on the OTA JB) its never worked right. Sometimes I get them, sometimes itll be 8 hours til I get it. Or hell I wont even know until I manually open the facebook app.

Texting is just so much easier.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This just goes to show that user experiences are sometimes pretty subjective. Me and my main group of 5+ friends use the facebook messenger app for group chatting and I can't recall a time where it hasn't worked great \:v:/

Totally agreed. My tablets not had a single problem, and since its on me 90% of the time I dont miss much. But it is quite frustrating to have my phone right next to it, on the same data connection, not get the same notifications. Voxer has always been like that for me too. Oddly.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ThermoPhysical posted:

Chrome for Android only seems to work good on the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 for me. I've tried it on the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and even a friend's SGS II. It just didn't seem to work very well on those. On the NS, it's okay...if you don't mind redraws every single time.

It probably does well on the N10, but I've never personally used one yet.

Works pretty good on the razr maxx on the OTA JB. No major complaints.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Markovnikov posted:

It's a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I've looked all over, but there is no Internet/Browser/Whatevs app (the manual even says to look for the Internet App). There is a Google Search one that you can use and it works as a browser too, but a dedicated browser is probably better. Will Chrome work well on this model?

My friends are telling me I need an antivirus for my cell phone? Is that really a thing? :raise:

No, you do not need anti virus on a cell phone. Your friends are stupid. Tell them the internet said so.

You have a browser, Its there somewhere. You're just missing it. BUt who cares, Try out chrome. If you hate it, Theres tons of other options. :)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Well the thing is, I dont want to upload and stream from google, I just want to to listen to music from my computer, which has more songs than google music will allow for upload. Also, as for the CC thing, I just signed in the a gmail and it wasnt an issue anymore (I was accidentally logged in with my yahoo email).

I use 2 Google accounts to make that happen. Well, I mean for space reasons. I like streaming, and the pin option does exist to play music without streaming. Works great.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Free Offline Navigation apps?

Anything good anymore? I could just tether my phone to the tablet, But I was more thinking I'd like to not rely on a data connection for an upcoming trip. I grabbed a trial of Sygic, Which will last through the trip. But a more permanent solution would be awesome.

Dug a bit through the thread, But jesus its nearing 300 pages. I realize I can use google maps, but when driving across the country downloading section by section will take all loving day unless theres something I'm missing to just download the country in total.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Colonel Sanders posted:

What is a good, preferably free, keyboard app? I want something simple, clean, and with the ability to know what key I meant to press. A non-obnoxious auto correct would be nice too. I've been trying to use adaptxt and it seems ok except 1) haveing every alt symbol on each key really ruins the clean look 2) the auto correct can be a little over zealous at times and 3) for some retarded reason, the keyboard never works with the web browser sideways.

VV Honestly, just why do you think I am asking this question??

Because you didnt read the thread at all?

Keyboards have been covered every 5 pages.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...mVsbHkuZnJlZSJd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jb.gokeyboard&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5qYi5nb2tleWJvYXJkIl0.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GhvZC5sYXRpbiJd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...2tleWJvYXJkIl0.

Theres literally 900 of them. Pick one, try it out. Its all about personal taste.

Swiftkey gets a mention because its good, just not free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...3dpZnRrZXkiXQ..

The OP really should have a basic list of keyboards at this point.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AnimalChin posted:

I've got four Aviate invites left, anyone want em?

Play store link.

I just started trying it out again a couple days ago, and it seems just brilliant. It's kind of helping me get over my compulsion to constantly tweak my home screens.

Would love to try it out, If you have any left.

SA Name @gmail

Thanks in advance :)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Got it. Thanks

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AnimalChin posted:

Edit: All gone.

I've got four Aviate invites left, anyone want em?

Play store link.

I just started trying it out again a couple days ago, and it seems just brilliant. It's kind of helping me get over my compulsion to constantly tweak my home screens.

Update on this.

I really like it. Was shopping, it figured out what store I was in and changed things accordingly. Then at lunch, Did the same thing. Super neat and super minimalist. Love it. Thanks man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Android has shown it's pretty poo poo at multitasking, though. Seriously how many people post in the phone thread asking for advice with an accompanying picture of their battery screen?

We would all like to trust Android to manage our apps for us. Unfortunately, that's not the reality. It really doesn't matter if it's the app developers fault, the end user doesn't care who's fault it is. Just that it happens.

So it doesn't really surprise me that they've included a button for it.

And most of the time its one of two things.

Some actual Google service being retarded (Polling GPS etc)
Rogue game/app with lovely exit code.

IM with Dr rear end in a top hat on this. The only things i "force close" via task switcher is PAD and thats because its an rear end in a top hat of a game that murders battery. Hell It may even be fixed But im so used to closing it at this point its reflex.

Seriously Its so much better now than It used to be.

• Locked thread