Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I can't use the Amazon Appstore anymore. By accident I found out that once you uninstall the appstore you're unable to launch any of the apps you've downloaded from it. It's like god drat DRM for a free app I only have because it was free. That's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Nupraptor posted:

This and their slow update process is why I haven't purchased anything from the Amazon app store. I download the free apps, but haven't installed/used any of them yet; They're there "just in case."

I found all of this out by trying to use the YouTube downloader that's on the appstore after restoring my phone one day. No go because the appstore wasn't installed yet but I DID restore the downloader through TitaniumBackup. After that, it was Fieldrunners. That wouldn't play without the appstore either. That's just ridiculous.

If that's a "thing" then someone needs to create a Steam-esque program that launches games delivered through that service and lets you chat with friends / get daily deals on terrible indie titles, and has great update support. Only caveat is, you have to keep that program running and it's ad-based so you'll periodically get ads on your screen. But hey, free games!

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question:

Somehow, some way, my phone downloaded my profile picture from Blogger and it shows up in my gallery but I CAN NOT delete it. There's literally no delete option, only Share and Details.

Any idea how I can get rid of this picture?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I switched to the mobile Facebook site in lieu of the app about a month ago. Best decision. If tagging wasn't impossible it would be perfect.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Okay goons, help me out here.

This is the app I'm looking for:

wifi and/or bluetooth connectivity to my computer
functions as a mouse
functions as a keyboard

I've found many apps that work as a mouse over wifi, I've not really found any that work as a mouse and keyboard. I haven't seen any that allow bluetooth connectivity.

I REALLY want to be able to use my phone as a mouse/keyboard connected to my tablet PC over bluetooth.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

pst it sounds like he's already reached that conclusion and now just wants to do something about the stuff left over from before he made that transition

edit: Also, it's slightly entertaining that goon-made private browser Beaver shows up in the recommended apps on the page for Exfoliate.

I understand what he's looking for and have wanted a feature like this in Facebook for a while.

First example of why this would be useful: Ex-girlfriend related posts so your current girlfriend doesn't get all snoop-happy and decide to go through your previous wall posts to see what you used to write about your ex and why you don't write those things about her.

Stuff like that would be nice to delete without having to manually do it one at a time.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Swiftkey has gotten much faster recently and has multitouch now so works a lot better for fast typists.

SwiftKey would be infinitely better if there were a T9 layout. Smart Keyboard Pro has it and it's been, by far, the best keyboard for my needs.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can I buy these $0.10 apps and keep them somewhere for when I get the GNex sometime in 2095?

Once you buy an app you can re-download it from the same linked google account forever without having to purchase it again

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Living Vicariously posted:

So what's everyone's favorite browser at the moment? I'm using Opera Mobile and I like it for the most part but there's a handful of quirks about it that bother me.

I've been using Dolphin HD for a while now, it's pretty good. I honestly think I don't switch because of the main screen:

having my favorites accessible from the front page is extremely convenient

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

No dice. Renamed MarketUpdater.apk and .odex, uninstalled updates, cleared cache and data, and installed an older version. Got to update a single app before the Market updated and force closed. For gently caress's sake.

This probably isn't the case for you, but I had the market force closing when I thought Download was some separate thing, and deleted it. Apparently market REALLY wants it.

Maybe it wasn't market... maybe that was the browser. Either way, if you were tooling around started deleting stuff, maybe that's what did it.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I keep media monkey around for that purpose alone. It pulls ID info from Amazon or wherever else you point it to and tags it with "correct" track and artist name + throw the album art in as well.

It's spotty with a few artists due to their releases being LP, EP, VINYL, LIVE, etc etc but it's generally easy as hell to use.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Just installed 1Weather and for the most part, I really like it...however, I can't find a way to set Current Location as its default location for me.

Anyone know how to set this?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I don't think you can, but if you touch the little triangle with the house on it in the corner, it looks up your location and lets you choose that.

Does anyone know of an app that will set off a notification every hour? It doesn't need to do anything else, just make a sound at the top of the hour.

I messaged the developers of the app after posting that question, because I also noticed that it was reporting 500+ downloads so it must have just been released.

I was told "follow me is one of our most requested features and we are currently working tirelessly to incorporate it into the application."

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Do you have it set to learn new words? I had that on and the predictions went out the window

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

This could just be a problem I'm having, but Google Music seems to love re-downloading my entire library to my phone every time I get on wifi. I've seen it hit 100% a couple of times...even though I'm not editing my library at all. It's cool to know that it just feels like using network whenever.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

It would be nice if Google Music would let you choose the sort option rather than Artist, Album, etc. Let me choose something from the ID Tag specifically to sort everything by. tia

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

If you're rooted, you can freeze the browser or just outright uninstall it.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Stupid Kindle app killed my phone last night. I fell asleep reading and the screen never turned itself off. If I hadn't woken up to use the bathroom I wouldn't have noticed and my phone alarm wouldn't have gone off. Would have sucked.

Why is there no auto off option after say, 10 minutes of inactivity?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I didn't see it in the options anywhere, so if it exists, it's hidden.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Does PowerAmp suck forever or is that just my experience? If any of this can be fixed, please tell me.

Default playback apparently cycles your entire library rather than the album you select. I choose a song from an artist and one of their albums I want to listen through, but the only way I've found to actually make that happen is to add the album to queue.

Playback with a Bluetooth controller chooses PA as the music player even if it hasn't been started up in days. I'll listen to Pandora or Google Music a few times then get in my car and press Play on my Bluetooth remote. PowerAmp starts up with some random song it feels like playing.

PowerAmp does not interact with Google Navigation. Actually, I think it tries to compensate for navigation voice by getting louder.

Can I fix any of that, or is PowerAmp just not the player for me?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Does anyone know how I can edit a .dat file from an app's backup?

I like using Simple Calendar Widget but its alternate layouts don't include the one I actually want and there's no area for custom string input. I'm able to create a backup of my app settings which creates a .dat file. Can I edit that to have the layout I want then "restore" the backup to make the app look the way I want it to?

Or something that might be a little better (or easier?), am I able to edit the .apk or whatever that relies on for its settings?

This screenshot shows what the layouts prompt looks like:

I just want a layout of:

"Event text" ("Event location")
"Event date" "Event time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

baka kaba posted:

I think that will depend entirely on the way the app's been coded and the exact format it expects, and how it handles variations that may or may not behave nicely on the screen. Not sure if you can hack it into the .apk, my advice is look at the .dat and see if anything in there seems to relate to layouts (it may not) and try and tweak them. But I wouldn't be surprised if the layout stuff is hardcoded, if there's no functionality for creating custom layouts in the app itself.

Don't know anything about hacking apks though!

Well, I believe there is room for editing because there are some user made skins available for download on the app store. I just don't know what to use to edit it with.

• Locked thread