Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Olewithmilk posted:

Any good free apps for podcasts? Apparently they stopped supporting Google Listen?

I'm a BeyondPod user/fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Codiusprime posted:

Holy gently caress widget locker just got way more awesome. Go upgrade that poo poo cause I know you already have it.

I'm just happy they finally added a backup/restore option!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Holy poo poo, you can finally edit sliders in place. That had always irritated me (granted, not often, because I don't mess around with it much, but still).

I'm pretty sure you could do this before. If you long pressed an existing slider, then dropped it in the same place, you would see a really small settings button beside it. Regardless, the update is way better

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

New G+ UI is so nice. Looks very much like ICS seems to, and it really feels and works great. I am really enjoying the swiping sideways for moving between tabs. Google Talk has done it forever, so it's about time they bring it into other apps.

Now if only I had any friends on G+ :(

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

FriendCaster is awesome on Honeycomb. Haven't tried it on 2.x though.

It's pretty awesome on it too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Swype updated (via the app, which was nice) to include the smiley key again!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Does that mean I can remove the installer?

I don't see why not. I noticed a notification from Swype, clicked it, it updated (from within the app), the end.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Any other Google Voice users not getting notifications when they get a voicemail? I have mine set to only notify me via the app, not by email/text, and it's only notifying me every now and then. Also, is there a way to set up time based profiles in Voice?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

Question: Is there https://www.way to make go SMS (or any other SMS app) show a "send message" popup? That's something I really miss from my jail broken iPhone :(

I use (and swear by) ChompSMS. It has a feature where you can long press the search button to get a quick compose window to popup. I can compose a text from within anything, even from my lockscreen. Seriously, why don't more people use Chomp?!

EDIT: Just noticed that Chomp just released an update that lets you set a text to send to a pre-defined number at a later time. Pretty handy for birthday and whatnot. Personally, I use an app called Future Text for this and I'd recommend it if this is a feature you want/need.

XIII fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 7, 2011

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yep, new. It used to go back to the app drawer whether I hit home or back, so at least they fixed that. I agree, it should be a selectable option

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

Gingerbread keyboard if you type fast, SwiftKey for slow.

I used to use Swype in portrait and gingerbread in landscape, but go keyboard replaced gingerbread. I love how well it works

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Athenry posted:

That and its probably about to start costing money.

I've wondered about this and if there is any chance that the people that have been part of the beta would be grandfathered in. That would be really nice. BUT, I'd be willing to pay for it.

Regarding Swype, I'm also a huge fan. The latest beta is miles beyond the standard, built in version though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can modify how strong you want the vibrations, I love this keyboard for this feature alone.

However, the sound is pretty low for me when hitting a key and I can't find the developer's e-mail anywhere to let them know that.

I haven't tried the ICS keyboard, but GO Keyboard can do both of these things. I quite like it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

IRQ posted:

Is Swype better than Slide IT?

I got that during the 10 cent sale and I love the input method, but if there's a better alternative I'd switch.

Yes. gently caress the naysayers. Yes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I like orange, so I'm ok with it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Any other Go Launcher EX users been having issues with your widgets getting duplicated? My Fancy Widgets and my toggle widget keep getting duplicated, so there's one on top of the other. I wouldn't be able to tell, but I use transparent skins and the duplicate doesn't update, so I can see them under the other.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, GetJar is having a big holiday sale (that I haven't seen mentioned). It's 95% games, but there are some good ones. A handful of things worth picking up, especially for free.

http://mktg.getjar.com/getjargoldcatalogue.html

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I check GetJar's website every so often and if I see anything worth having I'll install their market, DL the app I want, then uninstall their market.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a better app for the camera? I'm on a Droid X2 and the button is so tiny in the corner, depending what I'm trying to photograph I miss it and it takes me forever :( Are there even other apps?

I'm running the camera from MIUI on my X2 and I much prefer it to stock. But, I'm on a custom ROM, so switching cameras was no big deal. I'm sure there are some good alternatives on the market though if you're not rooted

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shnooks posted:

I'm not rooted and not particularly tech-savvy enough to do it, I think :( Thanks though, maybe someone else will have an idea.

Check out the X2 forums over at XDA. The difference between my X2 stock and on my current ROM (Eclipse 1.3) is ridiculous. Makes it feel like a whole new device. It's an easy, straight forward procedure to root and flash the ROM. If nothing else, I'd say read up a little and see if it's not worth a shot.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I use the smiley key constantly but I've never learned another language.

It's like we're the same person.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Roundboy posted:

Yeah I bit the bullet and installed it. Sooooo far it's nice, but annoying when you miss a letter. I think it's a mistake the questionmark isn't on the first page.

And this stupid language button.

Just swype from the M to the space bar.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Frozen is still installed. Make a backup of Swype then uninstall it.

True, but not exactly necessary. I've successfully frozen (with Bloat Freezer) Swype and installed the beta more than a few times. I have learned that I have to restart after freezing, but before installing the beta, or else it'll fail.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else on the latest Swype beta occasionally lose their word selection bar? Mine will stop showing up from time to time and I'll have to toggle over to another keyboard and back to get it to show up again.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

On my OG Droid, JuiceDefender would save me tons of battery, then get an update that would make it KILL my battery, then get an update that made my battery life great. This pattern would repeat itself. I finally uninstalled it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Can Plume sync with your contacts?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dang. Well, guess I'll stick with the official app.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Also keep in mind it doesn't work with Google Music, it's only a local media player. That alone will keep me on Google's Music app, oh well. It's not CM's fault, Google hasn't released an API for third parties to use Google Music.

This. If I'm not listening to Pandora, I'm using Google Music. Yeah, I know there are tons of better music players, but the convenience of having all my music available (with none of it actually being on my phone) outweighs the added perks. I really hope that Google releases the API. Soon, at that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Seconding the recommendation for ChompSMS.

beedeebee posted:

Anyway, another quick question: is there a way to move the 'delete widget'-tray in Go launcher to the bottom of the screen? Because if it stays on top of the screen, it interferes with my weather widget (from beautiful widgets).

How is it interfering? It only shows up when you go to delete something, but you can still put things at the top of the screen, so what's the problem?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Codiusprime posted:

I just tested it and you can use the top row just be careful that your finger isn't on the garbage can. It takes a little bit to get it positioned right but it will do it.

Exactly. I tested it yesterday after reading his post, just to be sure something hadn't changed in an update. Just grab the widget closer to the bottom, so that your thumb doesn't hit the trash can. I've got a widget on the top row in all five of my homescreens.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Chomp does emoji too

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Two things I love about Chomp (that may very possibly exist in other replacement messaging apps) is being able to long press the search button to pop up a quick compose box from within any app or from the lockscreen (I use WidgetLocker) and being able to swipe up from one of my dock icons to open the quick compose box.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Matlock posted:

How's Tapatalk? It's a buck on Amazon right now, and I hear it's pretty solid for most every message board out there.

I got it for free off GetJar a few months ago and, while I barely use it, it's not bad. The forums that I frequent just don't support it or have a standalone app. I actually uninstalled it for a bit, but ended up reinstalling it, just in case.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone know what's different in the latest version of Swype? I just got the update, but don't see anything I don't recognize

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just want them to finally suck it up and let people delete words from the stock dictionary.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does anybody else think that Swype has gotten less accurate since the ICS update?

And I thought I was going crazy.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Has anyone else using Chrome to Phone with beta Chrome lost the ability to select text in the browser, right click, and Chrome-to-Phone just that text?

Every time I do that anymore, it just opens that page in the browser on my phone rather than copying that text to the phone's clipboard.

I've noticed this too. But, even though it opens whatever page I was on, it also copies the selected text. It doesn't notify me of it though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

thisdude23 posted:

OK, I'm looking for the best SMS program to do chat style conversations with my iPhone friends. They send texts all the time to groups but I can't reply to everybody at once since when I do reply it always goes only to one person. I'm using the MIUI text program but I've had no luck with that. Can someone recommend a program to me that's like iMessage please? Thanks.

My friends and I use the standalone Facebook Messenger app a lot to group chat.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

One thing I do dislike about the Google Music player is when you open it, there's a button at the bottom to take you to the music store. The reason that bugs me is that it USED to be a loving play button. Having that play button was soooo much nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Can anyone that's running Wave Launcher tell me if it's launchable from the lock screen?

• Locked thread