Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
nm figured it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

Anyone have trouble using Opera to display the touch.Facebook website? The Friends, Messages, and Notifications pull down menus don't display correctly. They work fine in other browsers. Any fixes?

Opera has difficulty rendering a bunch of mobile sites for some reason.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 13, 2011

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Is there an twitter app that can push notify tweets from specific feeds? Ideally one that would display the tweet content in the notification.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Google Currents is really wicked if you hook it up to your Twitter feed with SiftLinks.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

lessthankyle posted:

Will other music apps be able to handle streaming of content from Google Music? I really like PowerAmp, but I love the GM streaming.

If they open their API to it then yes.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
If you have an ICS phone/tablet Haxsync provides a method to get hi-res Facebook pictures attached to your contacts without Google compressing and wrecking them upon sync.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Anyone know the syntax for accessing an offline page on the ICS browser? In opera I can put file://xxx.html but that doesn't work in the standard browser.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

OSheaman posted:

This may be a little pie-in-the-sky, but is there a good "news aggregator"-type app? I read the New York Times, BBC, Al Jazeera, Foreign Policy, etc. and I would love to get all the info in one place instead of swimming through a pool of different apps for every publication.

Google Reader + Full-text RSS generator + Feedly/Taptu

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 21, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
How does one get the lastpass bookmarklets working in Opera?

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Nazi Zombies posted:

ARe there any apps that will send flight deals to my phone? I've found a couple so far, but they always want me to put in the EXACT day I'm leaving and returning.

Even if I could search month to month, as the other option is so tedious and takes forever.

Not an app, but what you can do sign up for daily personalized email deals from whatever site and forward them all to an RSS via this which you could read in Google Reader.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 24, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

hooah posted:

Did Facebook change something with its contacts API recently? I haven't been able to get SyncMyPix to pull any contact photos lately. It just gives an error about not being able to connect to the social network.

I'm able to. Try deleting the syncmypix app on your Facebook page and reauthenticating.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Steriletom posted:

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/1819186/Ice_Cream_Sandwich

Here are the colour codes for the ICS themes. Adjust your icons and the bottom part of the toggle to match the light blue using custom colour selection.

It'll look like this when you're done:

How did you get the notification background to be anything but gray? My background never changes.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Is there an app that functions like a hard disk space analyzer? IE something that could analyze which folders/files are taking up the most space on your SD card.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
DiskUsage worked, thanks for the advice.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

IT Guy posted:

Contacts - 524KB
Contacts Storage - 1.16MB

What phone do you have? Older phones have a limited app data partition and so it fills up quickly after you install a lot of apps. The HTC Incredible has an ext4 mod that increases the partition size and its easy to flash, I don't know about what phone you're using.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

IT Guy posted:

Galaxy S Captivate

I don't know what the datadata partition is on that so either you'll have to clear out the cache from a lot of your apps, delete some apps, find a way to move the app data to your SD Card, or find a way to expand the partition. NotEnoughSpace can analyze your partition and figure out what's taking up space and then move app data to the SD card with various degrees of success.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 10, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Is there a pdf app that renders faster than ezPDF and has annotation abilities?

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On LauncherPro+, I was able to set a dock swipe action to compose a new email in Gmail. Is there any way to do that in Nova Launcher Prime?

Possibly using an AnyCut shortcut?

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Steriletom posted:

Has Haxsync stopped updating contact photos for anyone else? Stopped doing so a while ago for me. I've gone into sync and made sure it's turned on. It even says that it synced up yesterday but I only see status updates being refreshed not pictures. Anything else I should be taking a look at?

If your friends have tight privacy settings, Haxsync can't update their picture. You have to remove your Haxsync account and log back in to force an update. The developer said he is working on a fix.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Does anyone know of an app that will set off a notification every hour? It doesn't need to do anything else, just make a sound at the top of the hour.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Is there a good guide to tasker somewhere? I can get as far as "fire off a notification when time equal to" but I can't figure out how to set it off every hour, let alone find a way to toggle it when I go into and out of work (I work at different times on different days, or else I'd just use an hourly chime app off the marketplace).

Contexts:
1) Time, 0000-2300, repeat every 1 hour
2) State-Variable-Variable Value: %WORK = on

Task: Media, Music Play (file)

You'll then have to set up a profile that sets the WORK variable to "on" when you get to work and off when you leave. If you have a specific work wifi you connect to can create a task that sets the variable WORK to "on" when you get to connect to that wifi and off when you disconnect. Or you can set it up to detect when you are at your work location. Or you can set up a manual toggle widget on your desktop.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 18, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
gReader was slow and weird whenever I used it. I'm haven't really found much better than the standard Google Reader app myself. Especially since it is able to make shortcuts for labels and it interfaces with widgets like this

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 24, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What am I missing here? Any time that I install Nova Launcher on my tablet (Asus Transformer), I don't get dock bar at the bottom. All I can do is put icons on the desktop. If I install it on my phone, I get the dock bar just fine though. How the hell do I get it on my tablet?

It doesn't have that feature yet.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

hooah posted:

I also tried Google Reader, but I like reading by feed on my phone and couldn't figure out how to get it to do that. Any suggestions? The ability to show alt-text would be awesome.

What do you mean "reading by feed?" There's also Feedly, Taptu, and Pulse.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15077-how-to-make-font-packs-that-work-with-ics-including-bold-and-bold-italic-variants/

Font replacement packs for ICS. I had to unzip them and install the fonts using Type Fresh but they work.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

The Worst Muslim posted:

Having been inspired by Google's prank app, Google Tap, I want to know what alternate ways of typing I can put on my phone? I already have a morse code app but what other apps are there to make typing fun or different?

8pen

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

sharktamer posted:

Did anyone catch this ICS styled facebook mockup? It's pretty much perfect, if only facebook (and most other Android apps) followed the actual guidelines.

There's an beta 3rd-party facebook app that looks similar to that and actually runs really nicely. But it's subject to API data restrictions like all third-party apps :(

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Venkmanologist posted:

I'm using BeyondPod on my Galaxy Nexus to download/manage/listen to podcasts. Is there a way to prevent the podcasts from showing up in the stock Play Music app?

You can try adding a .nomedia file to the folder and see if that works. If not, try unchecking "Share Podcasts" in the general settings.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

This isn't sarcasm, but any reason/feature you're using that instead of Friendcaster? Everyone seems to have moved to that.

If you have friends who deny data access to third party apps in their privacy settings (most of mine do) apps like Friendcaster aren't useful.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Echoes posted:

Just made the switch from iOS to Android as I found a deal on a HTC One S that I couldn't pass up. I'm a bit confused with the whole contacts thing. I use the default app next to the phone on the taskbar. I set it to sync with facebook but it turns out having all of your facebook friends appear under your contacts is just plain irritating. At the moment I have it set to 'Remove Facebook data' under the Contacts Sync page on the facebook app. Using 'Sync with existing contacts' doesn't seem to do anything which is annoying, and when I use the remove all data option and then try and link a contact to their facebook account, their account doesn't show up? Am I just being an idiot or should I be using a different contacts app?

I don't know how Facebook sync works on your phone but its had problems with ICS, you might look into an app like HaxSync or use another facebook sync solution.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 15, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
If you are on a newer phone or tablet and want higher resolution contact pictures you can check out this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryosoftware.contactphotosupdater

The donate version has an option to double the default ICS contact picture resolution (needs root). It can pull pictures off of Facebook though I've been using the semi automated process of using a source image folder with images named for a contact. The difference is obviously striking.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Guilty posted:

Any suggested alternatives?

http://touch.facebook.com

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

XIII posted:

Bingo. This has proven to be, by far, the fastest and most reliable method for me. (Doesn't work as well with Twitter, because they only seem to email me one out of five things

You can also get an RSS feed of your Facebook notifications, for people who really like Google Reader.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 2, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Gyshall posted:

So this has the potential to be pretty cool: Flick Widgets, uses the phone gyroscope to "flick" a widgetized area over top of the app you are currently using.

Can anyone throw this up on dropbox? For some reason it says its not compatible with my rooted phone though I'm sure it is.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Android Pro Widgets has a calendar widget that is themable and has a quick add event feature that is pretty intelligent. Worth checking out.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Is there an app that will yell at me to pack an umbrella if there is rain tomorrow?

Edit, nm there is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jerrellmardis.umbrella&hl=en

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
This isn't an app, but another way to get a weather forecast without an app that I found. If you go to Weather Underground and copy the link address for "Download iCal" (the blue arrow next to the RSS icon) you can add that iCal to Google Calendar (add by URL). It'll show up on your calendar widgets, etc with no other app needed.

Google Calendar has the ability to do this natively but the forecast given isn't as detailed.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 26, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Speaking of which, I have to do a one-time transfer of SMSes between two non-rooted devices. Is SMS Backup & Restore my best option for that? SMS Backup + any better?

I don't care about fancy features since it's a one time deal, I'll end up uninstalling the apps when finished. Call logs probably not necessary.

The same developer has Call Logs Backup and Restore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.CallLogBackupRestore&hl=en

Both worked for me when I transferred phones (non-rooted).

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Rooster Brooster posted:

BeyondPod will do this, but you'll have to refresh your password every few weeks when the "cookie" (or whatever it gets from Google) expires.

All podcast apps on Android are terrible.

You don't have to input a password in BeyondPod, you can access your Reader subscriptions through the google account on your phone. Choose the option to "Use ____@gmail.com" from the dropdown menu in "import from Google Reader" and it will pull up a permission prompt.

The Reader integration with BeyondPod has never given me problems.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 4, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
Is there any way to delete posts on Friendcaster or not?

rotaryfun posted:

So what's the difference from a stalled progress bar and the words just saying sending? You wouldn't get any more information from a progress bar.

He's asking for a progress bar because we would know how if it is stalled and close it is to completion. I would personally like that as well though I think Android is getting better about these things.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
I'm looking for an app that can trace my bike route over gps and then export a map to an image file. Anything like that or do I have to take a screen shot?

• Locked thread