Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Everyone loves Google Navigation right? Well I think it sucks, and I'm looking for alternatives. My problem with it is it's accuracy.

I live in an apartment complex that's in between two shopping complexes. Gnav is convinced that my address is around 50 yards away from where it actually is, so as soon as I turn into home it immediately tries to re-route to the complex. I know what you are thinking, to just turn it off, but I also have a worse problem when I leave from my house. Technically the roads I live on are on most GPS maps I've seen as a unnamed road, including Gnav but Gnav is convinced that the apartment is located in a subdivision that is actually a half mile from the nearest exit out of my apartment. My old phone a iPhone 3GS with MotionX GPS drive could tell that I was on the unnamed road and navigate out of the two exits I could take, depending on which direction I would ultimately take to my destination, so a Galaxy Nexus should be able to figure this out too.

What I'm afraid of is that most of the other GPS programs are going to take the easy way out like CoPilot seems to do and just become a front end to Gnav and have the same errors. Any suggestions so i don't keep wasting money for the same problems?

Ryokurin fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

404notfound posted:

This isn't really addressing your question, but why do you even need navigation in the vicinity of your house?

I can deal with it being off while driving here, I usually just turn it off when I know where I am anyways, but the problem is leaving It's a huge complex so It's constantly rerouting while I'm leaving the area before it finally figures out where I actually am.

Has Waze improved from where it was two years ago? I'm in Atlanta, and back then the maps were sporadic and routing was hilariously bad in some areas, like saying to use streets that hadn't existed in over 20 years or worse.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

LastInLine posted:

Thank you for posting what I was thinking.

Ryokurin, what device are you using? I can't imagine why you'd have such a tough time getting completely accurate location at your house as it should get your location data from being connected to your wifi access point. Unless you have a device with completely broken GPS (Galaxy S- Vibrant in particular, G2x) you should get a perfect location at your home. My Nexus One for example can pinpoint what room in my house I'm in when I turn on GPS indoors as long as wifi is enabled. There's no reason you should be off by 50m outside.

Galaxy Nexus. Maybe because I used GPS status yesterday to force a cache flush yesterday it's now accurate. Hopefully the map edit request goes through on the website. Everything is off by at least 50 yards on this street.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Speaking of music, is there any way to keep music in ICS from listing podcasts from Pocket Cast? I know about the .nomedia file, which already existed in the folders but researching it suggest that music ignores that file anyways.

• Locked thread