Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

jackpot posted:

Anybody been having trouble with ADW Launcher EX lately? Lately on my EVO 4G, ADW just randomly dies and reverts to the standard launcher. I restart it, then five minutes later it's gone again.

Edit: Goddamnit, it just did it again.

Edit: Wait a minute, I think I see what the problem is. Where do I go on my phone to tell it that ADW is the default launcher? I think every time I hit the home button (or bring it back from sleeping) it's killing ADW because the stock android launcher is the default. I've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling, that didn't help.
Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> All -> HTC Sense -> Clear Defaults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

err posted:

Anyone use Android's bill to carrier feature? Are there any fees or is it as simple as seeing it billed to my monthly statement?
I use it all the time on Sprint and there's no fees, it just shows up on my next bill.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

THF13 posted:

Went back to ADW since the EX version was $0.10, but it seems to have changed a lot since I used it last and I can't seem to get the bottom dockbar to act like I want.

The way I want to set it up is to have 2 dockbars. One with just 5 icons that doesn't scroll, and a second that temporarily replaces it by swiping up/down that scrolls left to right. But it looks like this functionality has been replaced with just the scrollable dockbar.
Yeah, ADW used to have that but it was removed this week in one of the new updates:

quote:

@anderwebs Ander Webbs
To everyone complaining about missing the hidden dock: sorry. It was a tough decision backed up by 90% of users. I'll do my best to improve
7 Dec

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Loutre posted:

My googling has failed me:

I like the way Sense's lock screen lets me unlock straight to SMS with an icon that also shows how many unread I have.

Is there an app that'll let me have the same functionality in a regular slider unlock? WidgetLocker doesn't show that I have unread, and I'd prefer not having any "regular" buttons on my lock screen.
If you install ADWNotifier, you can have an unread count over the SMS icon on WidgetLocker.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

beedeebee posted:

I tried Easy Money for a while. It's decent, only reason I stopped using it is because I got lazy really. It isn't free, but there is a free trial.
Same here. I liked it enough to pay the :10bux: but now I'm down to one bank account that's easy to manage so I don't really use it anymore.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

hooah posted:

People seem to like Plume a lot.
Yeah, I like Plume and I've been using it for a long, long time now.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Plants vs. Zombies updated on the Amazon Appstore today and it looks like it works on the Galaxy Nexus now. Bring on Peggle!
Holy poo poo, they finally put out an update. I just wish they'd bring over all the features from the iOS version.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

spixxor posted:

Probably a stupid question, but if I was to pick up Kitchen Confidential would there be any way to get it onto my Kindle, or would I have to read it on my phone?
If you go to the book's page on the Play website, there's a How To Read tab and at the bottom of that there's a link that says "Download ePub". However, they use Adobe Digital Editions for DRM so the Kindle isn't supported. You would have to remove the DRM, convert it, then transfer it to the Kindle.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

air- posted:

Reddit News is my overall favorite because of the way it handles links/comments. Reddit Sync is the best for browsing pictures. Was never a fan of Baconreader.

Also, Reddit is Fun just released 2.0.1 and while it's faster than the earlier ones I'd mentioned, I don't like how the simplicity of the older version is gone and I'm not happy about losing the "pick subreddit" option.
Someone has forked the last open source version of RiF (the last one before 2.0) and put it up as Diode. Doesn't look like he's added anything to it yet, but it's a good way to go back.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

So, Google Reader interface: Do you guys prefer gReader or GoodNews?
I still use NewsRob primarily. I'm starting to try some new ones though because it could use some UI updates but it's still going to be a while according to the dev.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Budgie posted:

Is that how you swipe? I would usually just swipe a straight line from the 'o' to the 't'.
Swype actually recommends this method for words like out/our or pot/pit/put - just in the opposite direction. Swyping above the letters (as shown on the Advanced Tips page) usually works for me.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is it retroactive?
Yes, apparently so! Guess I have to find a loving alternative, thanks Google!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

traslin posted:

Microsoft finally got around to releasing an Xbox Live Android app.
Wow, is that a direct Windows Phone port or are they just trying to make it look like one?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

KoB posted:

Its just the look for their stuff now. The Xbox Dashboard, phone, and Windows 8 are all like that.
Yeah, I kinda like Metro and I figured it would be Metro styled but it even has the Windows Phone menu bar.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

Is there a good Craigslist-browsing app these days?
I use CLapp myself.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

az jan jananam posted:

If you are on a newer phone or tablet and want higher resolution contact pictures you can check out this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryosoftware.contactphotosupdater

The donate version has an option to double the default ICS contact picture resolution (needs root). It can pull pictures off of Facebook though I've been using the semi automated process of using a source image folder with images named for a contact. The difference is obviously striking.
That's pretty awesome, I'm going to use the poo poo out of that, thanks!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

I'm surprised nobody's just made an app for ICS that mounts the SD card as a mass storage device over USB.
This app should work for the Galaxy series at least. Not completely sure about the Nexus but it works on my SGS2.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Wait, they made it free but disabled playlists? Then why are they calling it "the only free radio you can save"? What are you saving if not playlists?

Edit: Sorry, I can't just confirm this stuff myself because as soon as I installed it and signed in, they started me on a 48-hour premium trial.
The free radio is iOS only right now and it's different than the full Spotify service. The "now free on mobile" advertising has been a bit misleading.

SEKCobra posted:

I still don't want any notifications about other peoples activities and I dont want huge previews, why the gently caress would they remove the Subscription view and all the other nice stuff and put this + a mainscreen that lists your subscribtions in. I wish there was a way to go back :(
Check your subscriptions - you're probably subscribed to some people's activities instead of just uploads. The huge previews are probably here to stay though.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Aatrek posted:

TweetDeck hasn't been updated in like a year. I need a Twitter/Facebook app that displays both feeds in a combined timeline. Anything out there?

Maybe TweakDeck? Seems to be the replacement for TweetDeck since Twitter bought them.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Huh. You know...I can't really explain that.

I mean, I have this enabled:

but I'm surprised that the unlocker is the only other app you have that has it enabled.

(How's the woofi alpha doing for you?)
I just checked and apparently I don't have any apps installed with this enabled anymore. HBO GO and MAX GO used it for a long time and I used to have several paid apps that did before the licensing service was launched.

However, that does explain why some people can't find woofi in the Play Store. Having that option enabled restricts visibility of the app to ROMs with fingerprints that match those in Google's database. If it's a prerelease ROM that's not in the database, it won't show up in the Play Store. That option also installs the app to /data/app-private instead of /data/app so it can't be backed up without root permissions.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

When I was on AOKP when I had my SGS2, I couldn't see either of the Woofi apps, and the free version doesn't have the protection. v:confused:v
Free version seems to have it too, it gets installed to /data/app-private for me.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Thoom posted:

I see nobody has plugged Solid Explorer yet this page. It's both pretty and dual pane.
I wish he would just go all out with the ICS styling, this "almost there" style right now bugs me, particularly all the gradients and shading in the menus.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ZRM posted:

So, according to the original post, the beautiful widgets is free on getjar. This appeals to me, because, well, I'm a cheapskate. Thing is, no matter what phone I put into getjar, it tells me that BeautifulWidgets isn't compatible with my phone.

I'm guessing that they don't actually give the app out anymore and just kind of left the page up for whatever reason, but I don't actually know. Does anyone here know whats up with BeautifulWidgets and getjar?
I think GetJar got rid of the free apps program (GetJar Gold) earlier this year.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Karthe posted:

How does DeskSMS work? I'm thinking of abandoning Google Voice because of its lack of MMS but I don't want to give up the ability to send texts from my desktop. Its Play page isn't very descriptive - do the app redirect all SMS and MMS to its service, which then forwards it along to me? That's the only way I can think of it working and I hesitate to give them carte blanche access to my messages.
That's about right, the app sends SMS/MMS to the service and when you reply it sends it back to the app to send via the phone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Kathandrion posted:

Is there a simple way to use a custom font on my SGS3 without rooting it?

If it matters the font I'm hoping to use is VAG Rounded, or any variation of it (light or thin)
TouchWiz supports FlipFonts which are just installed like a regular app and then you can change the font under the Display settings. (There's a collection of them here for example.) However, if you can't find the font you're looking for in that format, you'd have to be rooted to do it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Cruseydr posted:

I just want a holo replacement for the stock sense messaging app. =(
You could try this as long as you're on ICS or JB.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

bull3964 posted:

You seriously cannot win with the Facebook app. Way back when, the problem was no notifications. Now, there's too many.

Once a day, every day, for the past week or so I've been getting an "empty" notification. It just says Facebook and brings me to my feed. This happens on all my devices and it usually happens after midnight.

I don't understand what it is notifying me of or how to turn it off. I really don't want to turn off all notifications, but spammy notifications REALLY rub me the wrong way.
Not sure if it's just a coincidence or not but I cleared the data on my Facebook app and the empty notification hasn't come back since.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Poweramp was half off so I gave it a whirl. I was sporting the DoubleTwist free version for a while, but this trumps it and then some.

I'm a little peeved that it's picking up my ringtones and notifications folders in the library, however. Does the delete function remove them from the library or remove them completely?
I think the delete function removes them completely but you can specify which folders the app will scan in the settings.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Manky posted:

It also can act as your sms client on your phone. I switched over to it, I was surprised to find I really like how fluid and fast the Chat Heads thing is.
I switched to it for a bit myself until I realized it prevents certain apps like Where's My Droid and Avast Anti-Theft from seeing incoming text messages that should trigger those apps. :(

datajosh
May 3, 2002

:aaaaa:

I wonder when the beta will self destruct now that this has happened.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Not that I'm aware of. Just use Facebook Messenger with the SMS option ticked and tell people to join the 21st century and stop using MMS.
The one thing that sucks about using Facebook Messenger for SMS, unless something changed very recently, is that it keeps apps like Where's My Droid from working and keeps anti-theft apps from receiving commands by SMS.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Music Manager is so bad when it would be so easy to make native PC, Mac, and Linux apps that could fix so many problems in addition to the ones Music Manager as it exists brings on itself.
Yes, Music Manager is so bad. I'm just going to start clearing out my entire Play Music library once every month or two to force it to fix everything from my local copy.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

XIII posted:

Fake edit: What's everyone's thoughts on Sliding Messaging? I just installed it and think I'm going to like it. The dev has been quick to respond to a couple questions and it's only missing a feature or two that I really want (with at least one already in the works). It's got a couple issues, but I think it could be a real contender.
I like it but I hate how, when I have multiple conversations, if I select the oldest one it "slides" through all the others to get to it. Yeah, I get it, the app slides, just take me to the drat thing instead of being slow about it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Sobriquet posted:

Do you have the pro version? How/how well does it handle group messaging?
I've never actually been part of a group SMS so I'm the wrong person to ask :)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

rckbikes posted:

Man, am I just dumb or does the new video feature on Instagram not work with my HTC One running 4.1.2?
You have to wait on the app update to hit your device, they're using a staged rollout and I don't have it yet either.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

CancerStick posted:

I've been meaning to check it out but I always tend to read that it is pretty laggy. I text quite a bit and that is not the app that I would want to deal with constant lag.
It is laggy, I find myself uninstalling it and then reinstalling it a couple of weeks later to check on the progress. It's getting better but I can't use it every day yet.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

bull3964 posted:

A week later I update to 4.3 and now it's incompatible with HBO Go completely.
HBO/MAX GO never work with a new Android version, that happens with every update, 4.1 and 4.2 broke it too. I swear they have a version check coded into it because I can't think of any other reason for it to break with each new version of Android.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but today "Google Services" used 211MB of my 250MB data cap, something which always lasts me a month. I'm 7 days into this cycle and now I have no allowance left. Did they mess something up or what happened? I didn't notice anything happening with my phone and I really didn't do anything. I did some searches on the Play store but that's it. I didn't download anything.
Are you on a Nexus device? And are you rooted? There was some discussion of this in the Rooted Android thread and it appears there's an issue with phones on custom ROMs constantly trying to download the 4.3 OTA. (Related Reddit post and XDA thread.)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I did that back in 2011. :feelsgood:
The main thing keeping me is my Jetpack Joyride save, if I could transfer it to the Play Store version I'd be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ante posted:

Along those same lines, how do I figure out what app keeps turning my screen brightness timeout to 15 seconds?
Are you using Screebl? That's the first thing I can think of.

• Locked thread