Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Codiusprime posted:

Holy gently caress widget locker just got way more awesome. Go upgrade that poo poo cause I know you already have it.

Yeah this latest update is fantastic. Loving the hell out of the ICS slider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

explosivo posted:

My Widgetlocker battery info says 100% all the time. It's not really a big deal because it's hidden until I touch the clock but does anybody else have this problem?

Yeah it's doing the same behavior on mine too. Evo 3D.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

BeWeather Pro is currently free on that GetJar Gold Apps thing. Not a bad app/widget and for free it doesn't hurt to try it out.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

brc64 posted:

Did Facebook push notifications stop working this weekend or is it just me? I think my wife mentioned missing some things, too.

Mine still work most of the time but it's kind of unreliable still as I've noticed some issues with the entire notification system on Facebook. Even going to the website on my desktop, the pull down notification thing sometimes doesn't show some that I get notifications for on my phone and vice versa. Also I've had some comments suddenly disappear for five minutes or so and then show up again.

Guess Facebook is just acting weird lately. What else is new?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

it's nice to not sound like a retarded drunk when I'm texting people during that time.

this is what Swype did for me one night after releasing the Kraken (rum)..

Apparently I was laying on a couch with my hand hanging off the side swyping away with just my thumb thinking I was making perfectly coherent messages. I blame it for being so accurate when I'm sober giving me false confidence.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

OSheaman posted:

This may be a little pie-in-the-sky, but is there a good "news aggregator"-type app? I read the New York Times, BBC, Al Jazeera, Foreign Policy, etc. and I would love to get all the info in one place instead of swimming through a pool of different apps for every publication.

It combs a bunch of sites for news so it would be hard to follow specific sites, but I really like "News360"

It has been my go to news app as of late.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Man I can't believe I'm going to end up paying another $4 for a 'pro' launcher. I just hope this one doesn't end up like LPP support-wise.

Yeah agreed. I still picked it up though as it's the same dev behind Widgetlocker and he's been really good about support for that. Of course, Fede was a machine for awhile too... but, I'm hopeful.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Anyone know of a good radar application? By radar I of course mean weather radars, not the highway patrol type

Well if you're looking for serious level 3 radar data apps, I recommend either of these:
RadarScope
PYKL3 Radar

I've played with both but I lean towards RadarScope. It's a bit more user friendly and I just prefer the layout more. Unfortunately it doesn't get updated nearly as much. PYKL3 gets pretty routine updates, so they might catch up before too long. They're both a bit pricy at $10 each but you really can't get better radar parsing than that. Plug in an allisonhouse.com account into either app and you can get real-time lightning strike data, too.

For just a straight forward radar app, I was a big fan of this simplistic app that does nothing but that: Rainy Days

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 24, 2012

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

hooah posted:

I think I got the information from this thread a while ago, but I've forgotten how to get on the beta channel for Widgetlocker. Does anyone know?

Settings > Long-press volume down for Experimental > Beta Updates > Public Betas

then back out and check for an update, you should be good to go after that.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Hehe. I actually started on this an hour or so ago, then thought I'd better check to see if anyone else has wrote such a thing before I wasted the time writing it myself.

If no one else has done it I need to find a graphing library...

I'm unaware of any apps out there that do this, but it really does sound cool and I'd definitely be interested in it.

It'd be kind of neat to track the price of some random stuff over time just to see how gouged I'm really getting!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

explosivo posted:

So Comcast Xfinity finally released their streaming app for Android, and god drat is it sweet. It includes HBO and Showtime if you have subs for them. It asked me for root permission though. Wha?

Could be like netflix (used?) to do and check for root, if it was a rooted device it would refuse to let you watch stuff. I guess it was just one of the DRM checks.

Figures, I switch from Comcast and they get all these goodies. Now I use Charter and it's like going back to a provider from 1994..yeesh.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Send me your email and I'll give you an invite.

Heck if anyone want's one I'll send you an invite. Although I guess it's quicker now.

If you've got another I wouldn't mind trying it as well. Haven't heard a peep from them in a few weeks, thanks!

edit: thanks!! :) you rock.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 28, 2012

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

LAST UPDATED:
November 4, 2011

Ouch.
That's for the free version I guess. The paid one has at least been updated this year.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweather

Last updated April 24, 2012

Still though, I don't think they're a bastion of good customer support. I still bought it though.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I just discovered that you can't use cached maps for navigation in Google maps... Any recommendations for an app that can do offline navigation, that doesn't require you to download maps for the whole country country? I'm one or those few who with an 8 GB Nexus 7.

Admittedly I haven't used it, but this looks pretty interesting (Navfree):
USA:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.USA
Elsewhere:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

Don't think it got mentioned yet but according to their Twitter account the SwiftKey Flow beta will be released tomorrow.

Appears to be released now.
http://phandroid.com/2012/12/06/swiftkey-flow-beta-review-video/

http://bit.ly/skflowbeta (phones)
http://bit.ly/skflowbetatab (tablets)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Teaches of Peaches posted:

Is there an app that restricts internet use to only things on a whitelist? It is for a rooted device.

I believe Droidwall does something like that.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

Action Launcher is pretty sweet, with its inflatable widgets and stuff.

Yeah I like that he's doing some different things with his launcher. I bought it when ALP first came out and recently checked out the latest version. It has improved quite a bit.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

XIII posted:

Anyone here use Action Launcher? I've considered giving it a shot, but would like some feedback

I like it quite a bit. It's pretty stable and fast (though I have crashed it a time or two scrolling through widgets too quickly) and it has some unique features such as the shutters (bring up widgets based on swiping icons) and the way the app drawer works on the side. I'm currently using Nova since I'm on a customizing spree and at the time AL didn't support grid sizes outside of default, icon packs or custom icons but it appears he put out a new version recently that adds a few new features including icon pack support (still no support for changing a single icon, though), which he covers here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AGicI6GM_U

He's pretty responsive on twitter for support and feature requests. Apparently he has quite a bit on the table that he's planning to add but he's a bit secretive about some future features.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 8, 2013

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

gaxsezu posted:

I've never heard any of these issues with Twitter protecting their turf against 3rd parties with Plume. Have I just missed all this stuff happening with Plume as well? Is it just not as popular as Falcon and thus hasn't gotten Twitter's attention yet?

Plume was around before Twitter started limiting app tokens to ~100k, so it's considered "grandfathered" and I'm not even sure if they've got a limit imposed on their app, if it does it's probably high enough that they don't have to worry about it.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

XIII posted:

Why though? His problem isn't with Google or the Play Store, it's with Twitter, so I don't see what this fixes

When he first took it off he told someone that it was because he didn't want anyone else buying it and then not being able to use it. I guess that's his rationale for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

MorgaineDax posted:

Got a Google Play Code in a promotion, but it's US-Only, and I'm Canadian. Figured I'd leave it here for the first lucky soul to get it.

I just grabbed this. Thanks a bunch! :)

• Locked thread