Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Live a Little posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good app for video podcasts? There's just so many choices coming from iOS. Will especially love something can subscribe or download from the itunes podcast feeds since it seems really popular but I know how apple can be with "their" content.

I'll keep pimping iSyncr, with the Wifi add-on. It will sync everything that you say to, including video podcasts. Just tested with my phone and it worked beautifully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

So, AirDroid

Ran across this in my Google+ stream yesterday and it's the best thing ever. Simple, wireless file transfers. SMS search, send, receive, and group send. Manage apps. Manage running processes. Manage everything.

From your web browser.

It's fast, it's intuitive, and it works better than anything of its kind I've run across.

Oh, and it's free.

Holy crap this is pretty awesome. I've been using SMS2PC, which isn't bad. But this should be a easy way to move things to SD card.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

Does AirSync only work if you've got DoubleTwist, or does it work independently of it? Also, is it any better at syncing music, specifically, then AirDroid is?

e: gently caress it, it's 10c compared to it's normal 5 bucks, so I really can't lose out here. I would still like to know these things, though.

If you use iTunes already, I use iSyncr and the wifi addon. Works beautifully, and I saw on the website that you can setup a Tasker event to run on certain SSIDs so you can automatically update once you get home.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Tunga posted:

That reminds me, contact shortcuts are shortcuts (not widgets) and therefore cannot be resized. How can I make SUPER HUGE contact and direct dial shortcuts?

You could try something like Car Widget, produces largish icons if you only need a few direct dial contacts. I am surprised there isn't a widget setup to produce large icons for older/hard of seeing people.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

AnimalChin posted:

Has anyone been happy making a switch from an ipod to using an android as an mp3 player?

I'm wondering what software is best for syncing and maintaining a tidy library both on the device and a PC, audiobooks, podcasts, etc.

Doubletwist?

If you are already using iTunes, I would recommend iSyncr. There is a wifi version so you do not have to be connected to the computer. Well worth it, and I have it set to scheduled syncs. Really like.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Does anyone ever use Swiftkey X? I love the keyboard, but drat sometimes the keyboard is so laggy in some applications. I did a factory data reset recently and it still lags. Anything I should do? Anyone have this problem? Should I switch to a different keyboard? I'm running CM 7 on an Inspire 4G

I use it, and recently, the drat thing won't show what I'm typing. Just appears blank, I have to exit out of whatever I'm doing to fix it. Other than that, no lag thankfully.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

l33t b4c0n posted:

Best music player/way to sync my itunes library? I've noticed Winamp touts that feature but I have not yet had a chance to try it.

I like iSyncr and the wifi addon for it. I have it set to automatically update selected playlists every morning. Don't even have to think about it which is nice.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fitness app? I am currently using CardioTrainer and it keeps losing GPS signal. Plus, I would like to be able to change the song with my headset instead of fumbling on the arm band.

calandryll fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 29, 2012

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

eviljimmy posted:

Request time: Does anyone know of an app that will allow me to post to Facebook, twitter and Google+ at the same time with stuff like pictures being properly included?

Preferably with a widget. I just want to bust out an update and have it go to all of them at once.

You may want to look into the Scope Beta, though looking at it, it does not appear to have a widget. But something to try out.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

Anyone having issues with iSyncR wifi after the jellybean update? It went from working flawlessly to not copying half my playlist, and deleting everything if I have autosync turned on.

I ran into a problem with the most recent update. I'm not running JB, but it was something similar, where it would only copy half of the files over. I ended up deleting the music folder and settings folder, and resyncing everything. Haven't really had any troubles since then.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I hate when I buy a premium app (Plume) then I find a freeware app I like better (Tweet Lanes).

Bah, Tweet Lanes doesn't support my TF300 for some reason. Official Twitter app looks like rear end on the large screen.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

Hey guys, any recommendations on a Japanese app? I'm visiting and I would like to learn basic phrases and kanji. I took a year of Japanese in college but I don't remember anything; I think having an app handy would help me remember. If anyone knows a good iOS app that works as well but I prefer Android. I know there are a number of language apps out there so I wanted to see if anyone had experience with them

I installed 50 languages to try and figure out a bit of Korean before I visit. It is pretty good and will speak correct pronunciations, I didn't buy it, the free version was fine for me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

sedative posted:

Songza is free with no audio ads

I've been using this for weeks and really like it. Since I have it hooked up to speakers I don't see any ads that are there. So definitely recommend this one.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

If you want to sync with your iTunes, get iSyncr, and optionally iSyncr wifi. But that's not a player, that's just to sync the music/playlists to your phone.

He merged the wifi addon into the main app so it is no longer needed, though you may have to still unlock the feature, not sure on that one.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Karthe posted:

Both versions of SwiftKey 3 (phone and tablet) are half off today. Since SwiftKey Flow is going to be an update to 3 then now might be a good time to pick it up if you haven't already.

On that note, is it worth it to pick up both versions, or is the phone version just fine for tablets? I've got an N7 that I've been using the tablet version of Flow on so I have no idea how limiting the phone version might be on the larger screen. I'll be migrating to an Android phone in a couple of months and I'd just as soon pick up one app and install it on both devices. That being said, if the tablet version of SwiftKey 3 is much more suited for tablets, then I'll just drop the couple extra bucks to get it.

I already have the phone version but through amazon store. I may just this one so I can ditch it all together. I am wondering the same thing about the tablet version as well.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Velius posted:

I'm probably going to get a nexus 7 later today. One thing I would like to have would be some sort of organizer/reader for pdfs, in particular journal articles. Ideally something that can include author /title information and possibly keywords. Are there any good options?

If you use Mendeley, which is free and decent at organizing PDFs, there is Scholarley . It pulls in your Mendeley info, unfortunately Mendeley does not offer an Android version. I wish they would because Scholarley is iffy at best.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

effika posted:

I'd like to have two-way playlist syncrhonization.

Winamp came pretty close-- it certainly has two-way synchronization for the actual mp3s themselves, but it will only sync playlists one way-- PC to phone.

Anybody have any advice for getting playlists synced the other way around-- phone to PC?

Samsung GS3, stock, and XP.

I saw that iSyncr can do that, but only with their player, which I think is called RocketPlayer. I didn't like the way it looked so I'm not sure how well the feature works. I wish Google would put out some kind of API or something that would allow for easier syncing of stuff.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That's my problem with some of these apps. I love Tasker but on my phone it's a pain in the rear end to setup, same with some of the widgets. I wish I could make a text file or something and toss it on my phone and bam done.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

C... posted:

Does anybody have Zombies, Run! and care to review it? It looks very tempting.
I haven't gone running in a year, so I'm thinking maybe the 5K app is more appropriate for getting restarted? Is the couch-to-5k routine in the full version? They're both on sale and calling my name.

I have the first one, non-couch to 5K. I really enjoy it, a few quirks that irritate me a bit, but well worth it in my opinion. My favorite part is the banter after you complete a mission. I was running one time and one of the guys said the next song he had his first kiss to, by random selection Rammstein's Pussy came on. I had to stop for a second because I was laughing so hard.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Has anyone played with Snap Pea yet? Looks like something similar to AirDroid but in a standalone program.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone have suggestions for a nature sounds app? I use Aire Freshener on my computer and would love something like that for my phone/tablet. I've tried a few different ones, the ones I've found make it obvious where it loops so I listen for that instead of focusing on my reading.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Require More Fire posted:

See, I'm not a fan of Currents or similar apps because I like my feeds in one big list that I can scroll and read what I want. Having my stuff split into different categories and sub-categories makes me miss stuff all the time.

This is the way I am. Currents is ok for when I'm on the can. I tried Flipboard but it was slow as poo poo and some sites weren't formatted to they way they do things. Other apps I haven't been too impressed with, though haven't tried all of them.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
It's spring time and I've decided to do some cleaning of my music. I've been using iTunes for years and it worked fine for me. But as I change files, update files to better rips, etc. iTunes is becoming a pain. I need a suggestion for a new music player. I would like it to be cross-platform, Windows and Linux. I would also love for it to handle my podcasts, where I can hook my phone up and it will update the play position to the player on my computer and I can finish listening to it. Suggestions?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Steriletom posted:

Anyone else been having trouble lately with getting Songza to retain a favourite?

I haven't tried adding a favorite but the last week I want to say, songs will be repeated almost right after the first listen. It's getting really annoying.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Rooster Brooster posted:

I think the new Duolingo app is great, but I really hate that it requires a connection to play. I get spotty connection in many places on the subway, which is prime language learning time during my commute.

My problem is that it keeps reminding me to do a lesson, by email and notification. Even though I have it turned off in the app. Every time I go back in there it's still selected. Getting really annoyed with it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I'm using a SG3 and run into a bizarre problem. For some apps, if I change any settings, next time I enter the app they have been reset to something completely different. For instance, the new Gmail app, for one of my accounts, it keeps defaulting to no notifications for emails. However my other account works fine. I also have issue if I reboot the phone, it forgets which keyboards I want to use, defaults back to the Samsung keyboard. Any ideas what may be the problem? I have not tried clearing the caches or anything like that for the apps.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Sobriquet posted:

Wait, with Pocketcast I can listen to half an episode on my computer, then switch to my phone and have it pick up where I left off?

I did this with Pocketcasts on my laptop. Works great, only thing I haven't tried yet is video.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Geektox posted:

Oddly enough, Mightytext stopped working for me last couple of days. I'm about to give Airdroid a shot but I remember being very annoyed that it can't do MMS properly, which is something Mightytext does real well. Has that been fixed yet?

There was an update a few days ago and it stopped working for me (MightyText). I opened up the app on my phone and haven't had any problems since then. Not sure why that was though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

mirthdefect posted:

Podcast app that can syncs to some kind of webservice so I can listen on PC or on my phone and have it remember what I've heard already?

There is a hackish way of doing it. I've tried using Bluestacks and Pocketcasts. It worked but the Bluestacks app is laggy as poo poo for me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

mirthdefect posted:

Eeeeeeeeeh that seems like a lot of effort. I was hoping there was some iTunes-type solution that would just download things and sync (instead of streaming).
Thanks to you and the others for suggestions though.

Yeah that is one thing I constantly wish is something other than iTunes and was cross platform.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I really wish TMo would release their wifi calling as an app or something. Really want to root my S3 and toss CM but require wifi calling because of poo poo service.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

beerinator posted:

Last post on this for me: "DTRENDS" is working for Aviate invites still.

Yep worked for me as well. This is a pretty interesting launcher, will take a few days to get used to it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I was using Aviate on SG3 for the last few days but noticed that Wifi is really flaky. It will connect then disconnect or completely ignore my wifi in my house. Returning to the normal launcher and it is rock solid. A friend mentioned the same problem. Anyone else having problems with wifi?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Rasmussen posted:

Just got my Nexus 5 and loving it. What's the easiest, preferably free, no-frills way to sync my itunes playlists from my PC with the phone? I don't want to use 'the cloud' as I do not have reliable or cheap data currently.

Not free but I like iSyncr. It's pretty painless and you can do everything on your home wireless network. And you can have it autoupdate if you change playlists, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a wiki app? Apparently, Wapedia is no longer being supported, which is a shame because it was pretty nice.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Nice, had some money from doing surveys. This is the first time I've played around with Poweramp. Is the only way to load and play the playlist by long pressing it?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

rolleyes posted:

Opening the playlist and tapping the first song should start it too.

I tried that but then got confused by all the different shuffle options! I'm assuming if I want to shuffle just that playlist then tapping shuffle once should work correct?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use iSyncr for this. No complaints, really.

Seconding that, really simple to setup and it will do scheduled wireless sync. Definitely worth the price.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
What is the recommended data backup app, Titanium or Helium? I lost a bunch of crap from a phone crash last week and would love to setup a nightly backup to something like Drive or Dropbox.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Geektox posted:

Are you rooted? If so, then titanium.

Yep, first thing I did when I got the new phone. Got a bit of "free" money doing the surveys, looks like Titanium it is thten.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Have you thought about trying something like Mort's Audio book player? It should work perfectly fine for those and will remember your position for each file.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
What are some recommended games for when I'm on the can? I have candy crush and pixel dungeon installed already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I think if you go into settings for iSyncr and look under Wifi Sync and check Delete Unselected. That should get rid of any songs not on your current playlists. I'm not currently at home to test it but I think that is the option that you want.

• Locked thread