Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

GO Launcher works pretty well for me, but I wish it had a setting to close the freaking app drawer after launching an app. I often exit apps with the back button, and if I launched it from the app drawer, it will return me to the drawer, which is super annoying.
Yep, this was in a recent patch note, apparently some pople actually wanted this behaviour. I don't know why it wasn't added as a toggle, it's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

You helped me set this up on my N1. I much appreciate it.

However now that I've got like 150 apps installed, I'm now always bumping up against limited space in Data. :(

First World Problems.
This varies a bit per A2SD implementation but on my Desire (basically the same as an N1) I found I was still filling up data with the dalvik cache. There might be a shell command you can run to move the dalvik, I think it was something like "a2sd cache2sd".

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Penguissimo posted:

Oh nooooo!!!!

I can't help but wonder if this is related. Should we be excited? Or scared?

Or...both?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Popehoist posted:

The HTC Sense messaging app is driving me bonkers, since it has an annoying habit of ordering messages in the wrong order occasionally. Usually it will place my reply above the original message in the timeline if I replied in less than 10 seconds. Can anyone reccomend a good messaging replacement app? I don't need bells and whistles I just want something with a functioning timeline.
Handcent should be perfect for your needs. The default skin is very iPhone-esque but that's pretty easy to change if you hate speech bubbles or whatever, otherwise it's just a slightly better version of the default app.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I expect this has been asked a bunch of times in the past but could anyone recommend a month-view calendar widget that integrates with the stock app? I don't need an agenda, or notifications, or an entire app replacement, I just want a widget that shows a month and lets me flick (or scroll I guess) backwards/forwards and has some kind of indicator for any day that has a thing happening.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

How is that AOKP? I occasionally look the thread and it's always "This ROM is great! Total daily driver!" followed by "Calendar won't sync but great ROM!" and "Only three restarts today, love this ROM!"

I don't long for much apart from statusbar tweaks (dBm and battery as a percentage) and 180 degree rotation.
I've had absolutely no issues with it at all. It runs exactly like stock except with notification bar setting toggles, some additional lock screen options, unlinkable notification/ringer streams, a hilariously gay pink unicorn bootscreen (can be disabled in-ROM), and a few other small tweaks. Nova launcher is also included in /system which has some nice improvements to the stock launcher without feeling like you're replacing the whole launcher with some third party piece of tat.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IT Guy posted:

Is there any way to just install all "not-installed" apps? All day I've been re-installing like 200 some apps fresh instead of doing a backup/restore as I was having issues. The issues have been solved but I'm loving tired of re-installing each app individually. Is there a way to just bulk install the rest of the 68 "not-installed" apps?
Restore from Titanium without data?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to create a really simple interface for my mum to use on her first Android phone. I'm looking for a simple clock widget with the following featureset:
  • Large clear text.
  • Plain/transparent background.
  • Clicking it does nothing (this is important, it must not load a confusing settings screen or similar).
  • Date display would be a bonus.
Any suggestions?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The next step on my quest to create an idiot proof Android, is there a launcher which I can set up and then "lock" it so that it is not editable? The menu key doing stuff is fine, but I need to disable long press menu and icon/widget dragging. My mum is spectacularly good at deleting the lovely widgets I set up for her because she isn't used to a touch screen being so reponsive.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I won't quote you all but thanks to everyone who suggested ADW for a launcher for a desktop lock option, I'll definitely be making use of it to stop my mum accidentally deleting her clocks every time she tries to call someone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Just remember to go into the options first thing and turn off the hidden dock!
Noted, thanks. She doesn't actually need a dock at all, just desktop icons are perfect, preferably giant ones. I'll have to have a play with it and see what works best.

That reminds me, contact shortcuts are shortcuts (not widgets) and therefore cannot be resized. How can I make SUPER HUGE contact and direct dial shortcuts?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I could ever use a browser without the quick touch controls again, I love those things. I installed Quick ICS Browser which lets you completely customise the menu, gives me different options in top and bottom of screen and allows click through. I thought about trying Chrome and then realised msot of the benefits involve using the desktop browser. And until Chrome (desktop) fixes the horrible white flash when loading between pages with a dark background (which has existed since launch), I cannot use it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

az jan jananam posted:

You'll then have to set up a profile that sets the WORK variable to "on" when you get to work and off when you leave. If you have a specific work wifi you connect to can create a task that sets the variable WORK to "on" when you get to connect to that wifi and off when you disconnect. Or you can set it up to detect when you are at your work location. Or you can set up a manual toggle widget on your desktop.
Or just skip the variable altogether and use a WiFi Connected or Location state directly in the profile above.

I believe there's also a state which checks the on/off status of another profile.

Either way, you shouldn't need a variable.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beedeebee posted:

Also, is there an app or something that turns up the volume? For some bizarre reason, my media sounds etc. are all super quiet lately, even on max volume.
Volume+

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Lately (since switching to the GN maybe?), I occasionally have trouble using the swipe-to-delete in SwiftKey. Instead of deleting the previous word, it'll just type some letter on the left-hand side of the keyboard. This persists until I send whatever I'm typing.
Probably a result of the increased DPI on the GNex, depending on how the swipe speed is calculated. I also had difficulty getting it to delete. Anyway, you can adjust the required speed in SwiftKey's options.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

Is there anything like Lightflow but without 5 billion options? I want something simple that pretty much just makes my notifications flash faster on my Galaxy Nexus.
Doesn't exactly answer your question but most custom ROMs have an option for that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

When I first got my GNex a few weeks ago some people here said they never had a new ROM or Android phone automatically install their apps from their last phone. It always does that for me.

I just flashed to 4.0.4...and it's automatically downloading/installing all my old apps.
In the initial Android login/setup wizard (no idea on the proper name) there is a screen with two options:
  • Restore your poo poo from Google.
  • Backup your poo poo with Google.
If you tick the first box, it will restore your apps (visibly from Play Store) and data (invisibly from the cloud, not sure if apps have to specifically support this somehow). Which is nice if you are an average user who just bought a new phone, but for flashing new ROMs it's a lot quicker and easier to use Titanium. I always untick that box and do it manually.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's not possible in Tasker, but I can definitely see some uses for it. You could submit a request to the dev, he's fairly responsive though generally has a pretty big list of requestes already.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

yamdankee posted:

Good suggestion. He got back to me in a little over an hour. What a guy!

Now to figure out how to "Go to player and click play with Tasker"...

Edit: OK, progress is being made. I am using the Action "DPad" in the Input menu for when TinyShark launches. I have it 'press' right one time, and it actually goes to the player tab automatically! Now the problem is I can't figure out how to get it to 'press' Play.

Final Edit: I figured it out! It's all about the DPad function. I have it set to DPad Right once, then DPad Down once, then DPad left twice, then Dpad Press once. TinyShark now plays music on its own within seconds of me opening it.
Wow, the funny thing is that I'm pretty sure this is not the solution the Tasker author was suggesting at all! There is a way to have Tasker send an intent (which is like a specific instruction) to another activity. For example, you can send a URL to the browser app and say "show this URL" and it will do it because it. If you know what kind of instruction and data a certain screen or app will accept then you can manually create trigger these in Tasker. Generally you'd need to ask the author of the app whether such an intent exists and what the correct syntax would be.

(Edit: Intent is the wrong word I think, but I did this kind of thing for something a while ago.)

However, looks like you got it solved so I guess you can ignore all that!

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 12, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rooster Brooster posted:

Any launcher out there that can show apps in a list by name? I've decided I hate grids of icons.
I think FolderOrganizer could do that, if you use the main GUI as an app launcher rather than a...folder organiser.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In SwiftKeyX: Settings, Advanced, Gestures. In the SwiftKey 3 beta, that option has mysteriously disappeared :iiam: .

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gentle Alarm will handle that and a lot more.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turnquiet posted:

I just got a Gnex and am playing with the multi color notification LED. Is lightflow the go-to multi-color notification app? Why does it want root permissions?
Some phones require root for certain options (e.g. for certain colours or to change the flashing speed), some need it to set the LED colour at all, and others work just fine without it. You can try it without, I think the GNex works just fine, but at the same time there's no great reason to refuse it either.

Edit: Lots of info here:
http://www.folioflow.com/ff/page/website/lightflow/pageId/1691

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Use a proxy like Hotspot Shield and go to music.google.com to sign up. Then deactivate the proxy and upload your music. The app should be available on the market. You can't buy music though.

Holy crap, I sat here bemoaning the lack of Google Music in the UK for the last year or whatever and it turns out all I needed to do was log in from any of the various US-based servers I have access to at work? Will be trying this out tomorrow!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, Flash works perfectly on JB right now.

And when I say perfectly, I really mean that it's as laggy and crashy as ever.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To be clear, you may be giving them that control. My work has literally zero requirements because we're a tech company and trust people or something I guess.

The ICS email app is pretty good overall, has proper nested folder support which was the main thing missing from previous versions.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tasker can output on the media stream though it's somewhat overkill if you don't have any other use for it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is there a thread favourite for a replacement messaging app? The stock ICS one has been crashing like crazy.

I used to use Handcent to replace the Sense one and it worked pretty well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Saliciouscrumb posted:

People on JelyBean - are your notifications working? I'm using lightflow and my notification light is not lighting up on, for example, Google + and whatsapp. Gmail, however, does light up whenever I get an e-mail.

Everything checks out when I press the test button from within lightflow, but it is obviously is not working.

Mine worked but didn't dismiss and then randomy stopped working entirely. I don't know, I'm just treating LF as broken until the dev pushes an update for it, the dev has acknowledged the issues on the app's website.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Latitude still murder battery even with GPS off like it did a year or so ago?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

How exactly does one set up Backitude?

It seems really complex if you let it be but I'd just like it to pool up my location data and upload it once I'm on Wi-Fi. I'd also like it to be very accurate and up to date as well.

I just went through the options and it seems reasonably clear, took about five minutes. Specifically for what you are asking:

Settings -> Standard-Mode Settings:
Time Inverval Options: [Your preference]
Location Polling Timeout [Your preference, 15sec seems to work for me]

Settings -> Offline Storage Settings:
Offline Storage: Enabled
Sync Options: Wi-Fi available only

Advanced Settings:
Set Priority: [Your preference]
Wake Lock enabled: True
Wi-Fi Lock enabled: True
(These will let you phone sync on WiFi when the screen is off.)

That should be enough to get you started and from there you can mess with the other settings and see what works for you.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

When you flash a ROM and use Google Restore to restore your apps, does it also do app data?

If so, I won't have to use Titanium Backup anymore!
In theory, yes. In practice, I'd keep Titanium around, it's a more reliable and flexible solution.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kmcormick9 posted:

Are there any good pinball games for android? Preferably one that features real life machines like pinball arcade for ios.

Pinball Aracade, in fact. I found everything to be a bit small though, even on the N7. I'd actually like something more like Psycho Pinball where it scrolls, not fussed about super-realism.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Where can I snag an apk of the browser from the I/O release of Jelly Bean? I just switched to Bugless Beast, but I prefer the old stock browser with the quick controls to Chrome.

Someone got it ported to the N7 with reasonable success so maybe this will help you somehow:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1780746

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HaxSync does that though it's currently a little buggy on JB and the account randomly disappears.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

I've never had any issues on JB with HaxSync yet, been using JB since the very first VNex ROMs came out.

It works perfectly except sometimes the HaxSync account just disappears entirely. I've had it happen twice on stock rooted GNex and there are some references to it in the app's reviews.

Edit: Actually the app description now references it too, there's a fix here which involves manually installing the APK or something:
https://www.facebook.com/HaxSync/posts/400095750038501

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 22, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

At first I was incredulous about this, but on further reflection I'm thinking that maybe they didn't communicate very well.

I mean...who cares if people pirate it? How does making it free get you more money?

However, I think the important part they left out is that there are direct costs to them with each install. I'm not familiar with whether their game has some sort of server component that they maintain, but I'm sure there are support costs involved. Returning emails from people who pirated the game and can't get it to work costs money with no return on investment.

Also consider that people who pirate it definitely will not be buying any of the IAPs (and yes, the game has IAPs, no matter what ambiguous language they try to use to imply that it does not).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'd add to this that it does SMS and Call Log backups but it doesn't do them well. I've found no way to schedule them to be backed up, for instance, and no way to manage the backups (send to cloud storage, keep/delete so many, etc.), and they're not done as part of the whole system/user apps/data backup that one would imagine would include them.

Sure it does, they're in the Phone Storage and Contact Storage system apps. You can generally even restore these between ROMs unless they are wildly different (e.g. Sense -> AOSP). I used to use SMS Backup & Restore but it's not really needed.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I know it's supposed to do that but it has never, ever restored that for me, even when I restored everything from the same ROM to the same ROM (when you've had a G2x you do a lot of restoring across identical devices). Not once has it ever worked for me. I use SMS Backup & Restore and Call Log Backup & Restore just because every time I've tried to use Titanium to do it it's failed.

They have a new feature to do it, it's in the (godawful) menu, called something like Export to .xml... that does it the same way the apps above do it, but as I said there's no way to automate that within Titanium.

Fair enough, I've had no issues. You obviously do have to specifically restore those two apps since you don't want to restore every random system app, things can get screwy. But hey, I'm pretty sure you've been posting in the Android threads long enough to know that.

I remember it being a lot less reliable on my Desire which I always assumed was due to some HTC bullshit. On my GSM GNex it seems to work fine at least. No idea! The other two apps you mention are good options anyway and do give you finer control over the backups/restores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Regarding the IAP discussion,

What do you guys think about games that are demos (as in let you play the first level or two) and have an IAP to unlock the full game instead of having Game and Game Lite as separate downloads in the market place?

I don't mind this but I wish people would list the IAP costs and content on the store. The "Best Free" and similar tabs on the store are worthless becuase they are all freemium and IAP unlocked games that aren't actually free at all.

Actually I wish the market just listed all IAPs by default but hey it's Google so don't get your hopes up.

• Locked thread