Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
This may be a little pie-in-the-sky, but is there a good "news aggregator"-type app? I read the New York Times, BBC, Al Jazeera, Foreign Policy, etc. and I would love to get all the info in one place instead of swimming through a pool of different apps for every publication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone! I'm trying out Pulse and will see how it goes :)

EDIT: Another question: what are people's favorite calendar apps/widgets? I need something that would (ideally) sync with Google Calendar and (more importantly) make a whole lot of noise when I need to be notified of an appointment (instead of the quiet "beep" sound I usually hear when I get a notification). Easy-to-use, reliable, etc. also all a plus.

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 21, 2012

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
OK so I'm having some trouble finding the right news feed for me. I haven't really liked any of the RSS readers I've come across.

Basically I kind of like the format and setup of the Google News app on Ice Cream Sandwich but it's not very customizable and I'm looking for an app that has a little bit more to offer. I like the idea of aggregating all of the news together and grouping it by category, regardless of source (as opposed to the way Pulse segregates each publication). I like how Google News sort of moderates and picks out the biggest stories rather than dumping a million versions of the same news topic on my lap. That said, I like most everything else about Pulse, including the ability to control which publications to get news from and which categories of news to get (I like to get top stories, world news, US politics, sports, entertainment, and video game-centric news).

I guess what I'm asking is: is there a good news aggregator that sort of blends the best of Google News and Pulse? I'm not opposed to an RSS Feed if that's the only solution, but I've been really unimpressed with the UI and layout of most of the major RSS feed apps.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Any recommendations on SMS replacement apps? This Message+ thing on my Droid Turbo is really strange and I don't know if I like it.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
OK so I'm working on customizing my phone/home screen. So far I've gotten to this:

You see the problem: I loving love the functionality of smooth calendar, but that ugly icon that you can't get rid of really fucks with the main screen. Does anyone know of a good substitute that has the same-ish functionality (three events, push to either refresh the calendar or go straight to Google Calendar) while having a better style for this desktop. Free would also be preferable.

EDIT: While I'm on the subject, does anyone know of a good way to customize the lock screen that the Moto app makes on the Droid Turbo (the black one that has the hand waving functionality and all that jazz)?

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Zooper makes you pay for the touch functionality. Anything free that people recommend?

• Locked thread