Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I fail to see the benefit of getting anything from the Amazon Appstore if it's available in the Market at the same price. The only apps I've gotten from Amazon are their freebies of the day, otherwise I don't see the point.
Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dissss posted:

Better Battery Stats is what you want (have a search on XDA for a free version)

I get a tonne of awake time listed under wifi which isn't very helpful, it only started when a couple of neighbours got new access ponits so I guess its just wifi trying to pick my signal out from the mess of networks in the building.
This app'll show you what channels are in use and signal strength for each of them.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

How does licensing for the Free App of the Day work, anyway? My wife just got a Nook and she's going to want today's app down the road but she's not rooted yet so no Amazon Market. Can I sign into the Amazon Market App with multiple profiles and get multiple keys that way?

I wish we could just log in through our existing Amazon.com accounts and click a checkbox each day there's a cool app and say "add this license to my Amazon account please".
Set http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/ref=topnav_storetab_mas?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011 as your homepage. Click "get app" everyday. Download whenever is convenient.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Any suggestions on the best app/widget to monitor minute usage on the phone?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

scarymonkey posted:

Stores that sell through Amazon usually don't qualify for prime, but then those stores also don't qualify for super saving shipping for orders $25 and over. Some stores have their own free shipping like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-DC-M400-Wildfire-Supersonic-Incredible/dp/B004T0GHOU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1322535252&sr=8-8

I live in California and when it comes to cables (HDMI, USB, Network) I usually buy from Monoprice which has dirt low prices and $5 one day shipping in California.
Monoprice is great for that kind of stuff, but prime does work on stores that use amazon as their warehouse ("sold by x, shipped by amazon") stuff.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

What do I need to restore with titanium backup to get my launcher settings back after a wipe?

It comes back when I restore all system settings, but thats not what I want to do since its still telling me theres a ROM update available after installing that ROM when I do that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

letsgoflyers81 posted:

You should have a backup of "Launcher" and if you just restore that and its settings it should do what you want. If you use a third party launcher like LPP, ADW, etc. then you'd want to restore that instead. Also, Android doesn't let you restore widgets for some reason so you'll need to add them back. Other shortcuts and settings should come back in tact though.
Thanks. I think I'll do another wipe to try and get rid of this drat update thing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Installing CM7 will wipe your phone, yes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ryokurin posted:

Everyone loves Google Navigation right? Well I think it sucks, and I'm looking for alternatives. My problem with it is it's accuracy.

I live in an apartment complex that's in between two shopping complexes. Gnav is convinced that my address is around 50 yards away from where it actually is, so as soon as I turn into home it immediately tries to re-route to the complex. I know what you are thinking, to just turn it off, but I also have a worse problem when I leave from my house. Technically the roads I live on are on most GPS maps I've seen as a unnamed road, including Gnav but Gnav is convinced that the apartment is located in a subdivision that is actually a half mile from the nearest exit out of my apartment. My old phone a iPhone 3GS with MotionX GPS drive could tell that I was on the unnamed road and navigate out of the two exits I could take, depending on which direction I would ultimately take to my destination, so a Galaxy Nexus should be able to figure this out too.

What I'm afraid of is that most of the other GPS programs are going to take the easy way out like CoPilot seems to do and just become a front end to Gnav and have the same errors. Any suggestions so i don't keep wasting money for the same problems?
Do you google think your address is at the wrong place (mapping issue, I think there is a way to tell google about those) or does it think you are in the wrong place (GPS issue)?
For security any "Go Home" type navigation shortcut should be a nearby address or intersection so it doesn't lead right to your door anyway.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a way to change how swiftkey predicts what word I want? I find myself constantly frustrated when trying to type an easily predictable sentence and I type the first letter of the next word and it gives me words I would almost never use not to mention would I use it next based on the last word. I bought my friend a sandwich and wanted to tell her I was almost there while I was at a stop light. So I type "alm" and it gives me "alm, almond, some" for choices. I would use "almost" ten times more than any of those other words (maybe not some, but not when I just typed "alm"). I usually have to type out the entire word anyway because I want the plural and it gives me "want, wanting, wanted" instead of "wants."
Let it learn from existing texts/facebook/etc posts? It should improve with time as it learns your typing habits.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I've got swiftkeyX setup for smaller keys, is there a way to disable the prediction bar?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The autocorrect works pretty well too.
Looks like its not possible. Oh well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

rolleyes posted:

(But really, if you listen to music on your phone you owe it to yourself to try out the free trial of PowerAmp.)
Does it access GMusic?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Whats the best app to read ebooks (specifically ePub format) with? I'm not sure if its the file or the app but my experience with the Nook app is really really horrible right now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My sister has a Nexus7 and is looking for an agenda app/widget. But rather she wants something simple. No "from time 'A' to time 'B' on this day...blah blah blah." She wants on a widget that she can put on a full page on her launcher with hour slots and just taps on one line and types, then the widget would display that text in that hour slot. Preferably with scroll-able pages for different days.
She'd like to have tasks/checklists as well, but calendar would be the priority.

Not something I've looked at before, so...suggestions?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IT Guy posted:

Does CMAS require a data plan or is it through SMS?

Also, for phones that do not have CMAS, is there any free services out there that will SMS you severe alerts in your area?
Will wireless customers be charged for CMAS/WEA alerts?

Wireless customers will not be charged for the receipt of WEA messages. In addition, alerting authorities will not be charged by wireless carriers for distributing CMAS/WEA alerts.

Per the link from earlier.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kid posted:

Had I not found a way around the block, is there a way to remotely uninstall an app? or would a factory reset have been my only option?
https://play.google.com/apps
Allows for remote uninstalls.
(may only be for appls installed over play, which is/would-be another good reason to tell amazon's appstore to go gently caress itself)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

I got Swiftkey when is was free or super-cheap on the market one day and I've actually never used it. I just find Swype so easy to use and actually intuitive, as strange as that may sound.

Then again, I've never really gotten the hang of using predictive text, so the fact that Swype mainly does "correction" is probably much better for me.
I had swiftkey from an amazon free app of the day thing, and still got the full version when it went on the dime deal from the market last year. Very useful.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Does 2-factor work with Google Apps accounts? I don't see the option on my settings page.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Frozen-Solid posted:

Yes it does. You need to turn it on for the domain first, and then enable it on individual accounts. I use it on 3 of my Google apps accounts and it's the best thing ever.
Took me a minute to find the setting. Thanks for confirming that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Is there some trick to awful betamax? It shows me the forum and lists threads but doesn't seem to want to let me view the actual thread on my n7.

And why I was trying to get to the forum in the first place, do swiftkey and swiftkey tablet really require separate purchases?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Skeezy posted:

So apparently when I'm listening to music my phone can't receive calls? I don't know if this is something related to PowerAmp or Jelly Bean in general but according to my girlfriend she tried calling me yesterday at 6PM and continued to do so until 7PM. Not once did I receive a notification or anything saying that I received a call.

I can understand if it was a one time thing, as in she calls and the phone doesn't get it and I miss one call. But she called multiple times in that hour and I didn't get a single notification about it.
If you are streaming music on a CDMA phone you won't be able to receive calls (voice *or* data). On a GSM phone, using wifi, or with local media playback it shouldn't be an issue.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RAZR M / RAZR HD / RAZR MAXX HD (hmm, could've used caps lock for that) launching with ICS but being upgraded to JB before the end of the year. NOT launching with JB.

They'll get JB just about the time the next Nexii are announced with KLP.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ZRM posted:

Anyone here use the Nova Launcher Pro? IF so I was wondering if it included the ability to make the App Drawer infinite scroll. I can't do it on the free version and its driving me nuts that I can make everything BUT the App Drawer infinite scroll with it.
Yf you are trying to avoid going into widgets accidentally you can switch to vertical scroll for the app drawer. Otherwise, don't think so. Never tried it, however.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

bub posted:

I recommend Power Toggles for adding a customizable toggle widget. It can even add notification toggles for stock/non-touchwiz roms :)
I kept wondering why people recommended a widget program as a notification toggle option. Amazingly, once looked around I realized you can access it through the app drawer and not solely through the widget screen.
Thanks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

So it looks like the $25 credit that people get for buying a Nexus 7 is expiring at the end of this month. I still have about $20 of mine left.

I was considering getting Chameleon Launcher but I was hoping to hear some kind of feed back from some one here first.

Also maybe getting the pay version of Mx Player, and maybe the license version of BubbleUPnP
I'm not sure how you meant that. New Nexus7's won't include the credit, your credit from a previous purchase won't disappear.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Whats the easiest way to automatically put my phone on vibrate/silent (including media) when my calendar shows an appointment with a certain category or location?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cruseydr posted:

Do you have Tasker? If you do, start here: http://tasker.wikidot.com/muteinmeetings
I do and thats perfect. Thanks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

AnimalChin posted:

How did you set that up?

Edit: apex launcher updated itself last night and now I am hosed.
Switch to Nova.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Why is there no "delete" option on the expanded notification for new mails with GMail.
Garr.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is there at least a mark as read? I heard there was a gesture for archiving an email though. That's at least something.
I mean in the notification panel with jelly bean. :( The app itself got updated, but still no way to delete the email from the notification shade.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I've had my GNexus since the end of June and I think I've rebooted 2, maybe 3 times (one was sunday. :( ). Its not a big deal.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

OK, this is driving me nuts.
I have a tasker script that opens play music and presses play when it detects a BT connection (car).

Lately it will sometimes decide to open ES Music player instead of play music.
Is there a way to completely disable the ES music player or something?

edit: nm. It wasnt ES music, it was the AOSP music player. Lollipop image had it, had to disable it, shouldn't do it anymore. Stupid thing.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 30, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Any suggestions on a good car tracking app?
I use fuelly for mileage, but would like to track maintenance items as well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

aCar, yep. It's a little archaic looking but it tracks everything under the sun and does it well.
ok, I've heard of that one.
Does it do cloud backups? I wipe my phone...well not often, but occasionally.
Or at least able to save to a file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It does auto backups locally and manual backups wherever you want (gmail, drive, etc).
Works for me. Thanks.

• Locked thread