Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Codiusprime posted:

Holy gently caress widget locker just got way more awesome. Go upgrade that poo poo cause I know you already have it.

Holy poo poo, you can finally edit sliders in place. That had always irritated me (granted, not often, because I don't mess around with it much, but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
From time to time, SwitftKey will start being retarded. I have it set so that space bar will always insert a prediction, but when it's retarded, it just inserts a space (or sometimes a period). A phone reboot seems to fix it, but that's obviously not ideal.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

enojy posted:

For anyone running the current Google+ 2.0 beta (leak?), if you're having issues with your contact list in any way causing android.process.acore to crash, it's likely Google+ causing it.

Ugh. Spent two days researching this specific crash, with most people's problem being sync settings or some sort of invalid data in their gmail contacts list (special characters, incomplete fields, etc.) If you're certain that your contacts list is proper yet still crashing when trying to sync, add/remove contacts, or view contacts, try uninstalling Google+ 2.0 and reverting back to the current Android Market version. Everything contacts-related works perfectly now.

Holy poo poo, you're amazing. I've been dealing with that bug for something like 2 weeks. I even tried a factory reset, but since all I knew was that HTC's People app was crashing, I didn't have a lot to go on. You just made me a little less insane.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Like Vykk said, if only you would've asked. I thought everyone knew the G+ leak was tied to the forthcoming People app and caused constant crashes when installed.

I'd posted at least once here and in the old OS thread :(

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

900ftjesus posted:

Google+ update on the Market, new look (pretty sure it's just like the ICS version) and Google Apps support on board.

Does this one not gently caress up the Sense People app?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Better Battery Stats. Free on XDA (search) or paid on the Market.

I've been using this for a bit, but for some reason the bars that show percentage are (I think) broken. Whenever I look at any of the stats, I just see a two-tone gray bar. Stock Evo 3D.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's new; I remember it being mentioned in the notes perhaps a week and a half ago. I wish they'd included a setting for it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using Go Launcher since some time in August, but occasionally the Facebook and Twitter widgets don't update, even though I have them set to update every hour. It might be related to Juice Defender, but I thought that was supposed to allow things like widgets to update. Does anyone else have this problem, and has anyone found a fix?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The Market is showing an update for Skype, but when it tries to install it, I get an error about an unsigned package. Is this as scary as it sounds, or is it just something that's broken?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

The best file browser is EStrong's File Explorer which not only does root browsing but also uploads to Dropbox natively. That said, it seems like it does it kind of (extremely) slowly. I need to file a bug with the dev on that. But you could combine that with Dropsync to have a folder that automatically syncs to Dropbox (albeit only one folder and only on a schedule on the free version).

Should be exactly what you need.

Regarding EStrong's, how do you make it browse root folders? I had to buy Astro to fix the HTC spy scare business, but of course it'd be nice to only have one file browser and really know how to use it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

And to get to root from the UI, press the leftmost button on the menubar and select Phone.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by menubar, it only gives me local, LAN, FTP, bluetooth, and net. If you meant local, then the highest I can go is /sdcard/.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Armacham posted:

go into the settings and set the home directory as just /

Aha! Thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I installed the SwiftKey update, but now I can't change keyboards. I have SwiftKey and Touch Pal installed and couldn't clear defaults for either keyboard.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Urfdser posted:

That happened to me. Make sure you go to settings / language and keyboard and check the box for SwiftKey. I saw complaints in the comments and then noticed they said to do this in the description.

That was one of the things I tried; SwiftKey is the only one checked.

Edit: Not sure if the new update fixed it or if it was just trying something new, but when I went back into the settings, I noticed it said to long press on a text field and choose "input method." Doing that, then selecting SwiftKey, made it work fine. Strange.

hooah fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 19, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

big mean giraffe posted:

Maybe its just sense but I didn't see an option for changing the active keyboard, just their options.

This was what threw me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to tell what's been changed in updated apps in the Amazon App Store? I'm kind of weird in that I always check what a new update changes or adds, but I can't do that for my Amazon stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do I make Opera Mobile show the version of Google with the search options, such as date? When I set it to desktop agent, I get a weird version of the desktop page without that column, and the mobile agent looks like the old version of their mobile page.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Is there any way to see the change log for amazon appstore apps when there's an update? I'm pretty annoyed that they're just saying "we're changing something" and then not telling me what that is.

I've had the same complaint, and I get the feeling it's one of the major quirks about Amazon's App Store.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been trying out AirDroid, but it seems I have to refresh a message thread manually? Is that right?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cakefool posted:

Change logs on android market are no better, kairosoft are some of the worst.

But at least they exist.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Shroomie posted:

Do you guys use the official Facebook app, or something third party?

I just installed the free version of FriendCaster and it looks nicer than the official app, but I'm not sure if I actually like it better or not.

Any other FB apps I should look at?

I tried out FriendCaster on my Transformer and didn't really like it, though I can't remember exactly why. I believe some people have had problems with it not displaying all of their friends. I just use the official app since I use LBE to deny any weird permissions.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since the games thread doesn't seem to exist anymore, I'll ask here. Does anyone know of an anagram game that works like Yahoo's web version of Text Twist, or iOS's Word Warp? I found something called TextTwist 2 and at least with the demo version, you can only input so many words of a given length, e.g. 6 3-letter words. Also, the words aren't sorted alphabetically, which makes things a bit harder.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Living Vicariously posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for password vault apps? I need something to keep track of all my web logins/passes that's easy to manage and backup.

I've been using KeePass for a few months now, and it's pretty handy. Have it installed on my two computers, my phone, and my tablet. I just throw the password file into DropBox, and it's available anywhere, which I think it pretty slick.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cakefool posted:

Reckless getaway is good, I recommend it.

Wtfedit: tetris is not compatible with my device - I demand to know why?!

Same here. I've got an Evo 3D. I checked out the comments, and someone suggested turning off 4G because the app can't phone home on 4G. I was connected to WiFi, and apparently that's not a good enough connection either, because when I disabled it, the app ran fine. Still a retarded thing for EA to do.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the google voice app very slow for anyone else? I've been using it to text people in the states while I'm in Canada, but when I tap a notification, it takes about a second to switch to the app. Also, if I get a text while typing, I can't type until it fully arrives.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do I know what all Google Maps (or Navigation) has cached? I'll be driving from Whistler to the Vancouver Airport tomorrow, and it'd be nice to know that I can rely on Maps/Navigation. I've checked out the route with my phone already.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks to both of you. I wasn't aware it was a labs feature that you had to turn on. Once I did that it was pretty self-explanatory.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Leathal posted:

Really missed the custom auto brightness level adjustments in CM and MIUI, so I poked around a little and found Custom Auto Brightness in the Market which works better than the built-in stuff from CM/MIUI (real time previews, graphs, etc). Requires root.

It's really nice for me personally, since I prefer my screen to be much dimmer than HTC's autobrightness, but I'm also too lazy to continually manually adjust my brightness level to save battery.

I just tried this out, and I think my phone might not be entirely supported. I've got an Evo 3D, and when I ran the brightness test, nothing happened. That is, the phone didn't turn off, nor did the brightness increase. Using the graph, I can adjust brightness levels, but like you, I'm lazy and also don't really know what I want to do with this.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Leathal posted:

Actually I also have an Evo 3D. The sensor tests don't work, but the rest of the app does. I'm still fine tuning the settings, but it works really well so far.

Basically I have the screen at max at one end, min at the other, and adjusted the levels in the middle until they were about where I wanted them.

Alright, I'll mess around with it some. Can you move the sensor slider all the way to the right? I'm not able to access the last value.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

This sounds like something Tasker can probably do. Basically, Tasker can do anything.

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

I couldn't make it prevent my leg from doing all sorts of stuff to the phone after I'd gotten a Handcent popup! :argh:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Splizwarf posted:

Why not? Set it so that when you hit volume up and volume down at the same time, it locks the screen until the next time you hit those buttons together, and then only use that lock chord when you're pocketing it. :chord:

Holy... What? I had no idea something like that was possible! I'd asked here and in the Tasker thread once or twice, and no one really had any good ideas. Since I only messed around with the trial version a tad, could you give me an idea of how I'd go about setting this up?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been trying out Boat Browser for a couple days now, and just noticed I'm missing something: find in page. This seems to be missing in a lot of Android browsers, and is a big reason I stuck with Opera for a while. Am I just unable to find it, or does Boat not have that function?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Splizwarf posted:

Hooah: hosed if I know, haven't done specifically that before; I'll figure it out and trip report it for you. I never bothered, didn't need to because the Streak screen goes apeshit from static if it's face-in against the owner's leg. :(

I know it's only been a couple days, but any luck with this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently noticed Handcent has 3 dots at the bottom of the screen when I'm looking at my conversations. The first one (on the left) is light, and the other two are dark. It's as if there are 2 more screens to swipe to, but that doesn't work. Does anyone else know what those are about?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Tiny Flashlight was just updated with an option to activate by shaking while at the lock screen. It works on my Galaxy Nexus and makes it much more convenient than using a widget or shortcut.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.devuni.flashlight

I was excited about this until it turned out they didn't take things like WidgetLocker into account.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to organize apps in a folder with Go Launcher EX?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a decent free audio player that will play .aiff files?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Is there a decent free audio player that will play .aiff files?

I found one called TapeMachine Lite which works, but won't do playlists (since it's primarily a recording program). Any other ideas?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In PowerAmp, is it possible to play a playlist in a random order, repeatedly? It seems like I fought it enough just trying to get it to shuffle only one playlist, and from what I've seen, there isn't a random option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

big mean giraffe posted:

Airdroid also allows you to manage the files on your phone and text messages and poo poo from your web browser, it's pretty awesome.

Have they fixed it so you don't have to refresh the page every time you hear your phone ding to see the new text?

• Locked thread