Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How do I convince the market that I don't own something? I bought GTAIII but it didn't download right so I uninstalled it to redownload. Except it refunded my money but says I already own it. So I go to download it and it says "You haven't purchased this yet." How do I get to to let me purchase the drat thing so I can download it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Try clearing Market cache and force stopping it.

I got it eventually, but turns out GTA3 doesn't work on GNEX. Maybe someday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Aw crap, I hoped it'd work. I've read about people using Wallet in Germany, on Nexus S devices. So at least back then, it didn't seem so much of a problem to run it outside of the US. Tried installing it on a Galaxy Nexus GSM.

My CDMA Galaxy Nexus is unlocked and rooted and this installed without a hitch. The only problem is that now I have no idea where to use it at.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're a braver man than I to spend 25 bucks to give something away.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When you first start setting up the phone, it asks if you want to load up all the apps or something that you had installed before. Look at all the settings while setting up. There's something there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Some of the games were worth getting for free. Too bad a lot of them I had already purchased months ago. Splashtop looked interesting and I grabbed that. Is that the thing that was on sale for 10 cents last week? It is pretty interesting but limited to 1024x768 looks like. Is there a better remote desktop client for android?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Never mind, you can't update through the regular market, so who cares.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

What's the closest approximation to ios's 'app folders' you can get for android? Everything seems to involve setting up widgets that you then manually add apps to through a list. I'd prefer to just drag and drop. Is this possible?

Edit: never mind, realised that Go Launcher EX does this so I'll just use that.

Are you talking about a folder on the home screen with apps in it? On earlier versions you just long press and choose folder. On ICS you just drag one app on top of another and it makes a folder.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they ever fix Swype to work on 720p screens?

edit: looks like no.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 30, 2011

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why do you need to control the music on your phone from your computer? Usually you want to control a stationary device with a portable device, not the other way around.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I liked swype, but they are taking their time making it work with 720p phones and ICS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TShields posted:

Anyone actually been able to get this to work? I've set it up on my phone and PC, but it keeps saying "Connect failed".

Just do teamviewer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there a thread for woofi? If not, is there a way for it to not disconnect wifi if it is currently connected but not in the correct area? My GPS likes to say I'm at the opposite part of base (about 2 km away) even though I'm not. I'd rather not set my radius to three kilometers. It would be nice if when it saw I was at home and connected to wifi, it didn't disconnect later when it thinks I'm 3km away. If I'm away and I'm not on wifi, sure turn wifi off, but if I'm actively connected to it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This is what I saw on the market. You have to provide your own ROM, so maybe you can find a friend who has one and extract a ROM.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Regarding woofi turning wifi off. I had woofi disabled and turned my wifi on. It connected everything was good. Turn Woofi on and set my location to be a couple kilometers away. Wait a few minutes and my wifi is off, and Woofi is saying I'm however far away, waiting until whenever to check again.

I have a LTE Gnex.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can't you just mute media volume? I know that worked with my OG droid, which was annoying when I tried to do anything else. Based on something I read a few years ago, it started being forced on in Japan because they were all being creepy pervs taking upskirt shots of people. Then it migrated to the US. I haven't bothered with my Gnex.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

What a bunch of nonsense. I own a regular digicam and those things are completely silent. Good job on doing nothing useful what so ever, HTC.

It's every phone manufacturer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there a way to change how swiftkey predicts what word I want? I find myself constantly frustrated when trying to type an easily predictable sentence and I type the first letter of the next word and it gives me words I would almost never use not to mention would I use it next based on the last word. I bought my friend a sandwich and wanted to tell her I was almost there while I was at a stop light. So I type "alm" and it gives me "alm, almond, some" for choices. I would use "almost" ten times more than any of those other words (maybe not some, but not when I just typed "alm"). I usually have to type out the entire word anyway because I want the plural and it gives me "want, wanting, wanted" instead of "wants."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was using precise, so I switched to rapid. That seems to be predicting better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I stopped using swype because it always was getting words wrong. Then instead of showing me similar words, it would show a word similar to what I wanted and then a bunch of random words that maybe could use letters sort of near where I swyped. It got to the point where I'd need to type things out manually, and what's the point of swype if I'm typing. I switched to SwiftKeyX and it predicts just fine and haven't had many problems with it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone know what's up with the Samsung TV remote control app? I think it's kind of dumb that I can install it on my two year old Droid but not on my GNex made by Samsung.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How can an app be using battery if it has no processes? My battery screen keeps saying that F1 Timing 2012 is using 19% of my battery usage, but it's not even running. I go to the app screen and force stop is greyed out, I go to running apps and it's not there. This app isn't running but after unplugging after a full charge it's telling me that 5% of my battery usage is F1 Timing 2012 but there's no usage details.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it's any different now, but whenever a new version comes out, they entirely break the old version so you can't use it as anything but a tapping keyboard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did Facebook ever start playing nice and you can add facebook to your people list or whatever? Whenever I switched to my GNex, you couldn't add facebook to the accounts to pull contacts from. Glad I never checked on that again then. Pissed me off enough when I went into my facebook contacts and they had changed it so all of my email addresses were hidden and all that was displayed was my facebook email. Way to make it impossible to find contact information for someone who might not check facebook, assholes.

Craptacular! posted:

2) SwiftKey: I like the huge keyboard, I dislike that it learns words that I made up while doing things like posting here. I know the conventional thinking is that the ICS keyboard isn't very good, but you can use a wacky spelling or a nonsense word here or there without the user dictionary picking it up and learning it. Even if you want to use some sort of intentionally stupid "teh bezt" spelling in the default keyboard, you can just push delete once after pushing space and it will undo it's replacing your word.

Just long press whatever word you don't like and hit remove.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 2, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You guys weren't kidding. I installed SetCPU (after dealing with a bunch of bullshit to get root back on my phone) and it never dropped below 94% today.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you can't find anything, you could always do silent ringtone and select "vibrate and ring."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

I was using ChargeBar for a nice customizable miui style battery bar, but they started having loving push ads, anyone know of something similar?

I don't understand why they did this. It was a really nice app and now their page on the store is filled with pages and pages of one star reviews.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Samsung has an app, but they seem to be really lazy about what phones it works on. I can use it on my OG droid but it wouldn't let me download it for my GNex. Of course, it's a simple matter of copying the APK off my droid and putting it on my GNex. It works just fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I decided to see what I could get out of my GNex with light use and no charging after setting up profiles on SetCPU and going back to a static image for my background.

Total screen time of 45 minutes. Also, turns out I had my priorities backwards for the profiles, it was always on the <=75% profile the whole time. Not too bad I don't think, seeing my old Droid would last half a day. before this phone would be down to 60% just sitting in my car and using it throughout my time at home would get it down to about 40. This gets me an extra 20 hours or so.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Siroc posted:

I bought the Nova launcher during the $0.25 cent sale and it's much better than TouchWiz on my SGS2. It almost replicates the layout design of my Nexus 7 with its dock and app drawer.

Once it's installed, is there a way to turn it off?

While in Nova launcher, long click and select "Nova Actions." Scroll to the bottom and select "Nova Settings." This places a button on the screen which goes to the nova settings. Inside the settings near the bottom there's an option that lets you select the default home.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
While I want a decent camera that can take a decent picture, I'm happy with whatever snaps a quick picture that I can text to someone. If I want to take nice photos, I'm not going to use something with a lens that's half a centimeter long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not that good. Perhaps it's ok for a generation of people who are ok with stretching out a tiny thumbnail across their entire screen as a wallpaper to the point it unrecognizable. My GNex takes fuzzy and grainy pictures even in the best lighting. Pictures look acceptable because apps like instagram take your pictures, shrink them and cover them in filters. This covers up any flaws in terrible phone cameras and also looks trendy.

The sad thing about this is that gone is the photo album with photos that you could get high quality scans of. Now what we have is a bunch of 800x600 images covered in garbage on Facebook that people think are memories.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't know about you but when I look back at my family's photo albums most of the pictures are blurry, under/overexposed, or focused on the wrong part of the picture. Maybe your photo albums were filled with SLR shots but most people just used crappy cheap cameras that don't even stand up to a bad phone camera.

And on top of all that you had a lot less pictures in general because film and developing weren't free.

I guess your family is just really bad a taking pictures I guess. With consumer film, it's not that hard to set zoom in a couple seconds and take a decent picture with a decent camera.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
With all this FM tuner talk I decided to google it and went to an xda developer forum. Holy poo poo, why does every single person have a "sent from some bullshit with a phone some app" thing at the end of their posts? I thought it was snarky to have the iPhone thing, but specifically mentioning what keyboard you have on what android rom is spergy as gently caress.

Sent from one of my six iPads.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
On Verizon, voice doesn't really work the way Google wants it to. You dial a number and it forwards all your voicemails to your google voice number. This is exactly what I want google voice for. My voicemails are saved online and I can access them from my computer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Found it! You have to go pretty deep down the rabbit hole, but it's there for each contact specific notification and it's under each individual selection.

Turned them all to "screen on". Thanks.

You can also add a lightflow widget. There's two, lightflow and lightflow debugger. Pick just lightflow. This puts a widget on your screen that displays the current notification color and you can click it to clear it out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Use lightflow. It lets you set different notification light colors and tones for individual contacts and apps. You can even have it be different between SMS and MMS. You just add the contact to Light flow, enable notifications and then set the color and tone. You don't have to have a color if you don't have an LED.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can also change the LED flash rate. So you could set your emergency text to be rapidly flashing red with an annoying sound or something so it's hard to miss.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My Sim card has been in my phone since the Verizon guy put it in. Except for the time I took it out to look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
last I checked, you can. You click on settings and select "make available offline" and it caches the area of the map inside the square. I'm pretty sure I've used this for navigation before when 3G was totally dead in my city.

• Locked thread