Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a good calendar app that has a 1x4 or 2x2 widget, and that'll hook into my Google Calendar?

I like Pure Calendar Agenda widget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm perpetually low on space on my OG Droid. Are Google Goggles and Google Music system apps that can't be messed with, or is it safe to back them up with Titanium Backup and then nuke them?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Confusingly enough, Music and Google Music are not the same app. Music is the default player in /system/app and deleting it won't save you any space. Google Music talks to your cloud music account, is a normal Market app, and will save you a mild amount of space if deleted.

Google Music does seem to live in /system/app, which makes me nervous. Thanks for the waste of space, Google!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

What? On my phone, Google Music (com.google.android.music-1.apk) lives in /data/app along with all the other apps. The icon for Google Music is a pair of grey and orange headphones. The icon for Music (Music.apk, the default player that comes with Android) is a blue speaker, and that's what should be in /system/app.

Are you running a custom ROM? Maybe the author baked Google Music into the ROM. In which case, blame them.

No, just rooted the stock ROM. I'm not using a file explorer, I'm going from what Titanium Backup tells me. I looks to have superceded the old Music, as it shows up not as "Google Music" but as "Music 4.0.9" (icon is indeed a pair of grey headphones with orange trim) and when I go to delete it, it warns me that it will uninstall /system/app/MusicGoogle.apk.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hubis posted:

Candidates so far are SplashID, mSecure, and 1password

I used to use SplashID, but I got fed up with the cumbersome Android UI and the nuisance of having to ask for license codes to use the Windows version on multiple machines. Unfortunately, I switched to KeePass, so I can't make a recommendation.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

I have no problem with it. She wants one where she can easily sort into categories and look at those categories when looking for a contact. She has hundreds of contacts and wants to keep the "work" ones away from the "play" ones. I can see where editing online will help, but when she's on the phone, she'd rather click "work" and find something there or click "friends" and find someone in there, than scroll through hundreds of contacts.

DialerOne isn't a contact management app, but it has a group tab that lets you navigate this way to get to a contact.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

anakha posted:

I'd say the advantage of DashClock is the 'extensions', or addons that other app developers have been creating so that their app notifications could be displayed in the DashClock widget.

There are a TON of extensions available in the Play Store, so if you have a particular app you want to see updates/notifications on, you should be able to find an extension for it and add it to your DashClock widget.

Can anyone recommend a Dashclock extension for emergency contact info? In my Widgetlocker days I used Appventive's ICE and I'd like something with that level of functionality if possible.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm in the market for a new SMS app. I've been using Hancent, not because I love it, but because it was one of the leading choices a few years back and I was OK with it. Now there's a feature I want that it doesn't have - I want to set not only ringtone but also ring behavior on a default and a per-contact basis. I get texts for work periodically, sometimes from unknown people, and so I want the default behavior to be to ring and keep ringing indefinitely until I answer. I also have friends who text for any reason or none, and for them, I want to be able to change it to ring once and then shut up. Handcent only lets me change tones; ring frequency and such are global settings, and that's not enough anymore. I don't really care about MMS and group texts, I just want that one notification behavior. Anyone have a suggestion?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a dream that one time I'll work at a company that doesn't use email. Email should be renamed "CoverYourAssAndCCEveryoneMail" because that's all it is.

You don't like the feeling of having your rear end covered? I routinely get notes that people didn't get what they asked for, or never agreed to a compromise, or that I agreed to a deadline I never heard of, and it's quite nice to be able to pull out an email message showing that they asked for exactly what they got, did agree to the compromise, or accepted my timetable.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is there a way to make Google Now show next appointment cards for multiple calendars? I've found instructions for making it do so but they all seem to be for earlier versions of the Google Search app and require me to click on things that aren't there anymore.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

FYI I tried the HTC Fetch as a security token for my One M8 and it absolutely murdered my battery life. At this point I'm hoping Keylinks become available again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend an app for tracking movie collections that includes a location field? I'm going to start putting the discs I've ripped in bins in the basement and I need a way to keep track of which discs are in which bins. Movie Xpress can do it but the UI is clunky and there's no option to ignore articles at the beginning of the movie name, so I'm hoping there's something better out there.

• Locked thread