Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I missed the Newegg deal last week, any other cheap-ish ways to get this or am I SOL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Meme Emulator posted:

New teddie winpose:

Ahahaha holy poo poo. I assume that's either a fake or for Time Out victories, but either way it's loving incredible :golfclap:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

LiquidRain posted:

Regarding the story, watch the P4 anime. It's well done and gives you 90% of the story in 25 enjoyable episodes! Too bad you're in Japan, though, Americans get it on Hulu. Once you're done with the anime go lookup the endings to P4 on YouTube, and there's no need to play the game at all at that point.

Although they just announced that the American Blu-Rays won't have a Japanese audio track, likely for the same rear end-backwards reason the PS3 version of the game is region locked (read: Japan thinks 80 dollars for 2 episodes is a fair price for a DVD).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

LiquidRain posted:

The Hulu version, at present, is Japanese with subs. If they use the original cast (or as close to it as you can, see: Chie) for the Blu-Rays I wouldn't feel too miffed on English only considering the generally stellar job they did, but it's still such a bizarre decision not to include the Japanese audio. It makes no sense, considering the typical anime audience.

Well the decision is "The Americans get the same product but for less money, what's to stop Japanese fans from reverse importing?"

Basically, Japan's entire entertainment industry is corrupt and rear end-backwards as hell. Hell, this is pretty much why Bandai shut down their entire US operation.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Troffen posted:

Yeah but he's been the same unlikeable rear end in a top hat since that start of P4 and a little character development on that front would be nice. I guess those buttsex jokes are just too hilarious to pass up.

He's admitted to himself that being in a small town kinda sucks.... that counts as character development, right? :downs:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

quote:

NOS PowerUP: Two players will compete in a first to 3 or first to 5 (match) wins. The loser will be required to PowerUP with a wagered amount of NOS (no more than a shot) after each match.

So the the winner is whoever's heart doesn't explode?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mr. Trampoline posted:

It also bugs me how I'll Face Myself isn't a selectable battle theme! :argh:

It is against a CERTAIN ENTITY in Story Mode :ssh:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Axle_Stukov posted:

I think he's getting at the fact it's in the single player mode, yet you can't pick it for online fights. It is a bit weird too, that P4's normal boss theme isn't selectable, but the final boss theme is selectable for online matches.

You have no idea how annoyed I am that Master of Tartarus isn't available at all.

Anyway, is there any actual confirmation for what the unlock conditions are for the other Navigators?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I like Persona 4, but I'm not done with it. Are there major spoilers for it in the game? I know some things, like characters, but I don't want the "mystery" revealed.

Haven't dug too deep in story mode yet, but the only things spoiled from the True Ending route in P4 are (and neither of these are big at all) A) The main character does NOT die or meet a BAD END (which is pretty rare for a SMT game, actually) & B) Izanagi becomes Izanagi-no-Ookami (which is downright expected after P3).

If you really want to know the story, Persona 4 The Animation is up in full on Hulu. It pretty much covers the Good Ending route, but they're going to add an extra episode for the True Ending in the Blu-Ray boxset later this month.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 8, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't know what sort of mental snag I am hitting, but I keep thinking the game layout is

code:
A B
C D

instead of what it actually is, and it keeps tripping me up while practicing combos. I might wind up switching over to that eventually though I did try briefly and it is annoying that if you change your buttons, the challenge mode combos do not reflect the new buttons in the listing.

Man, the very FIRST thing I did was change it to
code:
A C D
B
With B+D where D used to be, just in case I slip up. Took maybe 5 minutes to adjust to.

Also,

W.T. Fits posted:

Must Stop Mashing
Yeah, what this guy said :smith:

Thankfully Mitsuru has the best auto-combo though, so I can wean myself off it gradually and without as much punishment as, say, Yosuke. I WILL break that drat habit though.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 8, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

dj_de posted:

Mitsuru's autocombo up until the super is literally the best thing she can do midscreen versus a standing opponent for no meter!

And her Furious Action has a hitbox that is EXACTLY as big as it looks (read: loving HUGE). It's beautiful :syoon:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Evil Canadian posted:

Does someone have a DP that isn't punishable on block?

Kanji's? I keep hearing how it's the best one in the game, but who fuckin' knows.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ryoshi posted:

Galactic Punt

The best reason to pick Chie. NEVER FORGET! :911:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Neeksy posted:

Challenge modes are definitely worthy of the name. As a fighting game neophyte, they're really difficult, especially since the whole quarter-circle thing is sometimes hard enough on its own.

Just consider yourself lucky that you don't have to learn how to buffer a 720 in this game.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

skog posted:

I guess Labrys must have been built at the Kirijo Lab in Boston

Nah, they just left her alone with a copy of Little Shop of Horrors for too long.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So regarding the story mode: Are the branches obvious? Because the first choice in Yu's story seemed to do absolutely nothing, and I kinda forgot to see if beating Yosuke with an SP Skill did anything different (I DID try losing, however).

Basically between X2 and CT I've been :tinfoil: as hell about every single ASW story mode.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dresh posted:

Some of the branches do matter, Yu's don't change anything (which seems somewhat appropriate actually) but I got some "bad endings" with Chie and Kanji with branch selection. I haven't experimented with combat performance at all, but it's pretty common for ArkSys to utilize that as well.

But it's all text choices, right? No Must lose/Must win with an SP Skill/Must win with an Instant Kill branches?

I'm having flashbacks to Dizzy's fight with Boss I-No back when I was in high school again :shepicide:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 8, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I dunno, they somehow made Chie even worse than she was in P4. I mean, sounding like you're 37 is one thing, but the new girl? Holy gently caress she's not good at this.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Speedball posted:

It makes me wonder, too, if they can make backgrounds this gorgeous, I wonder what the next-gen (or even current-gen) Persona RPG game could look like.

Just try not to wonder what a next-gen Mara would look like.

As for what a current-gen one would look like, there's always Catherine, which was pretty much the Persona team goofing around on their days off.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

LibbyM posted:

Aigis is amazing. First character that's really clicked with me so far. (I've only tried Teddie, Yukiko, Kanji, and Aigis)

Too bad so many of her normals chew through bullets so fast, even in Orgia mode. Gonna be really tricky to make any headway with her, even in Arcade/Score Attack.

Speaking of which, I'd kind of forgotten what ASW Score Attack modes were like. Ow, my everything :gonk:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Did anyone beat it? I'd like to know the reward if there is any and how many levels there are.

Rumor has it that you unlock one of the Navigators for beating it with one character and another for beating it with everyone. But seeing as how I hit a wall at level 3... no fuckin' idea.

The Chairman posted:

This is the first online fighting game I've ever played, and I'm getting absolutely wrecked in ranked matches. It's a fun pain, though.

My biggest problem is that the 360 controller's stick and D-pad are both giving me lots of trouble with pulling 236/214 motions. Does anybody have any modestly-priced, entry-level arcade stick recommendations?

If you can handle a bit of embarassing art Amazon has a special on the Brawl Stick, which is pretty much the same thing as the SE stick that came out along with Street Fighter IV. You'll want to get the actual joystick replaced with a proper Sanwa part sooner than later, but other than that it's perfectly capable.

Of course, Madcatz almost always has one coupon code or another up around the time of major tournaments if you watch the streams. Hell, they're doing a launch party for P4A tonight on Wednesday Night Fights, you might get lucky if they have a twitter contest or something.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 9, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cityinthesea posted:

What's up with arcade mode? I got the achivement for "beating" it with one character, but it ended just as they were leaving and Labrys was going to (story spoilers) get controlled by Eerie Voice/Malevolent Entity or something I assume; do I need to play it on a higher difficulty?

Nope, it's pretty much just an abbreviated Story Mode where 50% of the fights are randomized (1, 4, 6 and 8 are pre-determined for each character).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
It's official, Chie has the best Story Mode.

"A prize, like a championship belt! But it's made of STEAK!"
:allears:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Teslavi posted:

Not even close to the best.

That's how good the others are. Specifically Elizabeth.

Can it really be that glue... glue? Flu? Influenza? :pseudo:

God it's been too long. I can't believe it's been 4 years since P4.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Spikey posted:

One of the Atlus people said that everybody except Chie and Teddie is the same.

Then did they change her VA between Fes and P3P? That might explain it.*
*Never actually played P3P or got to any of Fuuka's scenes in Arena yet.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Speedball posted:

It would involve a lot of time and space warping to get it to happen, but you know who I'd love to see as DLC for this game?

I really, really want to see Eikichi, Lisa, and Ulala. It wouldn't even be hard, just :words: that there was a rumor in Sumaru about a hole in time or something and BOOM three Persona 2 characters, without having to worry about them being 13 years older or the world ending if they remember anything.

Because really, why would you not want a rock star with a machine gun hidden in his guitar case, or someone who discovered her Persona by being blind stinking drunk?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 9, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If anyone is looking for one character to complete all the Challenges for so as to unlock the announcer for that condition

Which Announcer is that? I still don't know the conditions for any of them.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also uhg are the training mode options for Labrys terrible. Why can't I adjust the Axe meter's actual value? Why isn't there an option to make the meter reset to your settings after each combo? Makes testing combos and axe gains a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Just use the B version of Brutal Impact to ditch your Axe Meter and start over from there?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 9, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Groghammer posted:

I'm currently the Ham Trajectory Investigation Team. The phrases are a lot of fun.

You have no idea how much I nerded out when TURNITOFF came up as a random option :neckbeard:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Not sure how much of this is official, but I found a partial unlock list for Navigators:

code:
Fuuka - Complete 250 matches in Online Mode
Mitsuru - Complete all of a single character's challenges
Nanako - Play 50 hours in match time
Teddie - Complete Story Mode
Yosuke - Perform 1,000 Instant Kills
No idea how to unlock Aigis though, or whether Nanako's match time only counts Versus and Online or all modes (short of Story I guess).

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 10, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cityinthesea posted:

For Nanako, wouldn't it be possible to set the match time to infinite and just leave it on for hours on end? It doesn't say whether it's online only or if you can do versus or something.

Well if you set it up at night it would take still take about 7 days to unlock. And that's if you got 8 hours per night like an average, well-adjust person, which we all know most goons/gamers aren't.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well keep in mind it's ASW. Weren't Kliff & Justice in GGXX like 70 hours?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Speedball posted:

So when did Akihiko get swiped by a tiger in the chest?

Think about why he wasn't in your party in the beginning of P3.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

The Grimace posted:

Labrys is a kick rear end new character. I think most of us agree on that, in any case. :unsmith: I wish I could tell who does her voice. Shadow Labrys sounds like Wendee Lee, but I can't be 100% sure about anything these days. Whoever does it, the accent is well-done. It's quirky and something I actually love hearing, for a change of pace.

Various sources on the interwebs are claiming it's Cindy Robinson. And now that I think about it... yeah, I can here a little Makoto Nanaya in there.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 11, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cityinthesea posted:

Does getting 100% get you anything?

100% in Story Mode unlocks Teddie as a Navigator choice.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

darealkooky posted:

This game is such a refresher after blazblue, everything has so much personality, in parcicular I really like the before/after match quotes. Mitsuru's spaceballs limo, "I won! Latuh!" and "Soooooooo laaaaaame~" are probably the best.

At this point Mitsuru is pretty much Tony Stark meets Bruce Wayne meets James Bond. Even if she wasn't S-Tier she would be The Best Character.

Everyone pointing out how silly/unstealthy her outfit is in Story Mode is just the icing on the cake.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Bite Into A Bambino... sure title system, why not.

Also, after grinding through Story Mode a bit, I am probably never playing Aigis again if I have a say in the matter. I dunno, everything about her just feels awkward, what with trying to keep your bullet usage to the bare minimum. Outside Orgia you're just cowering and trying to get that meter filled and IN Orgia you're gambling about whether that last SB Megido Fire will finish them off or if you're SOL for the next 15 seconds with a grey meter... yeah, gonna stick with Mitsuru's poking games, thanks.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 11, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Endorph posted:

Haha, one of Rise's round start quotes is "Duel One! Let's rock!"

I wonder if she has The Wheel of Fate is Turning somewhere in there, too.

Apparently yes, one of the possible quotes is "Rebel One! Action!"

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

A mainline persona game with a plot directly relying on that of a previous game/spin off game wouldn't make that much sense.

As much sense as making the final boss a character who had a one-line mention in a Drama CD?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Speedball posted:

I am struggling to find a reason to not get this game, because it's looking more and more appealing as time goes on. So, just in the interest of curiosity:

What would you guys say is the worst quality of Persona 4: Arena?

The fact that Atlus just sold the last copies in their warehouse, meaning we're gonna see shortages over the next month or so, limiting the possible playerbase?

(Read: what the gently caress are you waiting for GET IT NOW YOU FOOL!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hyun. posted:

And then there was Evo 2k4 where he said "gently caress you, Guilty Gear players, play on XX instead of #R" and 2k5 where he said "gently caress you, Guilty Gear players, play #R instead of Slash" and 2k7 where he and Chris Lee basically said "gently caress you, Guilty Gear players, no more GG at Evo because Marn is a scumbag"

Wait, no. My bad. The #R instead of Slash thing didn't happen. The rest did, though.

To be fair, can you really hate a guy for pointing out that Marn is a shithead?

Also, while we're posting hardware obstacles/excuses: I just went from my POS (~99ms/6 frame delay) HDTV to a much nicer 30something inch rig (33ms/~2 frame delay) at my cousin's apartment to show off the game and good loving god the difference was like night and day... so now I'm stuck having to choose between getting a new standalone monitor or a Vita for P4 Golden :smithicide:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 13, 2012

• Locked thread