Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently thought I'd rewatch Ken Burns's Jazz series from 2001; I first watched it when I was studying jazz in school, and I thought it was all good at the time (the last episode notwithstanding; I could tell there was something fishy about it even at that stage). Now that I'm more knowledgeable, I recognise a lot more of its shortcomings. It's disappointing because it started well, and it could have been really cool to have had a full overview of an entire genre from its inception to the present day, but instead it has this vaguely insidious "jazz is classical music, and can only be appreciated as such" ideology behind it, where Louis Armstrong recording "Hello, Dolly" is more culturally and artistically significant than anything that happened in the 1960s and Herbie Hancock is brushed off as someone who "was never a good composer".

Does anyone know of anything similar that tries to do an in-depth exploration of jazz, but a bit more even-handedly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have any recommendations for albums that come from the more melodic end of hard bop? Soul-jazz type stuff, I guess would be a good way of describing what I'm looking for. Organ-led or otherwise would all be appreciated.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Star posted:

Horace Silver's Serenade for a soul sister is great

Oooh, I hadn't thought of Horace Silver.

Which is quite odd, actually, because "Song For My Father" was one of the first songs I learned from Babby's First Real Book back when I was younger. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Loving the Samba/Salsa stuff.

You might also like Machito.

Dizzy Gillespie did a lot of Afro-Cuban stuff on his late 1940s recordings and into the 1950s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone help me hash out Louis Prima's album discography? I listened to The Wildest recently and really liked it, so I looked up his discography online but, like a lot of artists from that era, he seems to have recorded with a bunch of different credited identities (i.e. as a duo with his wife du jour, with his Las Vegas band, as a soloist) and I'm having trouble straightening them out. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Clip Death posted:

I've been on a bit of a jazz kick lately. I happened across Allen Toussaint's album The Bright Mississippi and it's amazing. Listening to some James Booker right now thanks to this thread. I'm looking for similar piano-heavy New Orleans-style stuff. Any recommendations?

Jelly Roll Morton.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

busfahrer posted:

I'm enjoying Eric Dolphy's album Out To Lunch right now.

Are there any other classic albums featuring the vibraphone?

I want to recommend Lionel Hampton but I'm primarily familiar with him on a song-by-song basis rather than any of his albums.

Johnny Otis played a lot of vibraphone but he's probably not as well known for his jazz playing - he was one of the late swing era guys who switched to playing R&B in the 1950s. It was good stuff, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As a Christmas present, my mum got me this Gordon Goodwin songbook with transcriptions of the alto saxophone parts for some of the Big Phat Band pieces. I assume it's her way of implying I need to practice more (which is true). Anyway, I was having a look at them and it's all the swing numbers, and they're all something like 250 bpm which is pretty insane. It's like when I tried some of the Charlie Parker songbook - I just can't fit my fingers around it at all. I'm nowhere near dexterous enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Amy Winehouse was considered more of an R&B singer than a jazz vocalist. Sure, she did some jazz songs, but I didn't think she was generally considered a jazz singer.

Probably just splitting hairs in any case. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kvlt! posted:

I love a lot of jazz influenced music but have never gotten into jazz itself. So far I like the jazz elements in Amy Winehouses music, I also like Bill Evans. Bitches Brew wasn't bad either. Where should I go from here? Something maybe not too heavy on the horns.

You might enjoy the Dave Brubeck Quartet. It's not too heavy on the horns (one saxophone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Maybe not the best call for someone who doesn't like horns?

Blood, Sweat & Tears would have been a more appropriate suggestion. Or perhaps early Chicago.

• Locked thread