Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

thathonkey posted:

I think Cosmogramma has the most jazzy songs. Flying Lotus' other work has either not as much or no jazzy stuff though it seems.

Cosmogramma is definitely the most outright jazzy, in the classical sense. But Until the Quiet Comes is most definitely free jazz. It's a toss up. I actually don't like the newest FL album as much as I thought I would, but I'm also just a huge fan of what he did with Cosmogramma and wish he stayed in that sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Southern Heel posted:

Re watched whiplash : is the style bebop? What should I be looking for, for similar ensemble jazz that is somewhat listenable (I,e not free/interpretive)

It's big band jazz/swing jazz. Caravan is a big band arrangement from 1937, and Whiplash is a time chart in 7/4 time signature. Whiplash has been used a lot by rock bands and such.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Kandace Springs' Soul Eyes album is now available if anyone wants some really good modern jazz to listen to. Her voice is incredible.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Puppy Galaxy posted:

anyone here into BadBadNotGood? In my opinion, they are GoodGoodNotBad!

IV is pretty good, I agree. I never like the entirety of any album they put out, but there's highlights from each one. Anyone check out Esperanza Spalding's Emily's D+Evolution?

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 15, 2016

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Kvlt! posted:

I love a lot of jazz influenced music but have never gotten into jazz itself. So far I like the jazz elements in Amy Winehouses music, I also like Bill Evans. Bitches Brew wasn't bad either. Where should I go from here? Something maybe not too heavy on the horns.

Kandace Springs or Gretchen Parlato's music features few horn sections.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
BBNG IV, Emily's D+Evolution, and Escape Velocity are my picks for the year.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Black Focus is a seriously groovy album. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Anyone have any jazz album recommendations coming out in 2017? Or what we should be on the lookout for.

• Locked thread