Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What's the best place to start with George Benson, please? So far I've listened to 'The Other Side of Abbey Road' and enjoyed it. I too am not a huge fan of avant garde/free jazz,

Kraxis posted:

Hello thread, I am New To Jazz™.

I've been listening to everything that BADBADNOTGOOD have ever done and love every single second of it, also just been binge watching Treme and I'm now a huge Kermit Ruffins fan.

I tried Strange Fruit as it seems to be the record that you should like, but I really didn't, that free jazz style didn't do anything for me.

I also went to my local jazz club, (Jazz in the crypt in Camberwell, London) and saw an amazing spanish/latin jazz trio with a flamenco singer which was hella good, but they had signs up tellng you not to make noise during the performnace which kinda felt wrong.

So yeah could you recommend me some stuff that is some combination of hip hop/new orleans/latin/jazz that doesn't sound like strange fruit era miles davies and that you'd be allowed to clap along to? TIA

Hey dude, you don't have PM's enabled but I'm in Brockley and also a fan of jazz - may be worth linking up? hit me up at william@ayerst.net if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

The Shape of Things to Come is a pretty cool album.

That really was a cool album, thanks.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Re watched whiplash : is the style bebop? What should I be looking for, for similar ensemble jazz that is somewhat listenable (I,e not free/interpretive)

• Locked thread