Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Anyone going to the Toronto Jazz Festival?

Jack Bruce's band, Spectrum Road, is playing so I want to see that for sure. Also, Esperanza Spalding and George Benson will be playing so I'd like to check those acts out as well.

edit: Bill Frisell, too! Interesting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ever since I've been a teenager, I've been mad for 70s/early 80s fusion - after that, it seems like it kinda got lame although some more modern stuff is ok, like Tribal Tech. Anyways, is there anything I could add to my collection?

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way, On The Corner
Return To Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, Romantic Warrior, Returns
Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean, King Kong
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour
Bruford - Feels Good To Me, One of a Kind
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire, Inner Mounting Flame
Larry Coryell - Spaces, Eleventh House
Frank Zappa - Waka Jawaja, Hot Rats
Weather Report - Black Market, Heavy Weather
Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
Gong - Expresso Vol II
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue, IOU
Tony Williams Lifetime - Turn It Over
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters, Thrust
Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender
Bill Connors - Assembler
Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life
Trio of Doom - Trio of Doom
Soft Machine - Bundles (technically prog but hey, Allan Holdsworth is on it)

More Modern Stuff:

Cab - Cab4
Tribal Tech - Face First
John McLaughlin - To the One
Jonas Hellborg - Time is the Enemy
Chris Poland - Chasing the Sun
Ohm - Amino Acid Flashback
Larry Coryell - Electric, Traffic
Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment
Garaj Mahal - More Mr. Nice Guy, Woot
Niacin - Niacin, Time Crunch
Five Peace Band - Five Peace Band (it's sorta fusion)
Wayne Krantz - Long To Be Loose

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

funkcroquet posted:

http://www.freeform.org/music/kozmigroov.html basically you want to dig into psych and spiritual fusion, which maybe won't offer the same kind of fusion as say a weather report record but is always great. strata-east is maybe the canonical releaser of this sound so check out their releases soonish.

That's an amazing list, thanks. I'm going to be adding a lot of stuff to my iTunes wishlist over the next few days.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

BigFactory posted:

On that tip, John Mclaughlin, Al DiMeola, + Paco de Lucia's Friday Night In San Francisco is badass.

I have to disagree, really. I liked the album waaayy back when I was in high school, but having listened to it recently I have to conclude that there's not much more there than a blatant chopsfest. Some of the material is decent, but really the three of them continue throughout to sound like they're in a contest to see who can jizz the most notes over the audience. McLaughlin's album with Santana suffers from the same problem somewhat, but at least manages (to me, at least) to be a more consistently interesting

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

I wish I was alive when Coltrane was. Just to have the slimmest chance of ever meeting him. What a musician.

I had Pat LaBarbera as an improv teacher, and he told us about how he used to catch Coltrane when he played in New York. He said that one time during a solo, Trane played a phrase and then he started playing it over and over again. The band eventually ended the song and went for a break and Coltrane went into a closet and kept playing the phrase over and over again. Guess he was a perfectionist!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Was at HMV today and came across the worst album cover I've seen in a long time:

"I'm sad, buy my album"

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Counterpoint!

One of his other albums:

It's a black panther in front of a les paul with neon strings! It's like a goon went back in time and left his mark on jazz fusion.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Art Blakey's Three Blind Mice Vol 1 is also great.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I would say check these out:

John Coltrane - Coltrane Plays The Blues, My Favorite Things
Wes Montgomery - Smokin' At The Half Note
Art Blakey - Three Blind Mice Vol. 1
Dizzy Gillespie - Sonny Side Up
Oliver Nelson - Blues And The Abstract Truth
Johnny Griffin - A Blowing Session

And if you liked Bitches Brew, then that opens up a whole new set of recommendations, since that kind of fusion has its own big discography to go through...

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I started with fusion. As a bassist, I was bored of rock basslines that all went "doondoondoondoon" (although there are cool rock bassists like Jack Bruce and John Entwistle) so I started hearing about Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Jeff Berlin, etc., so I started checking out Return To Forever, Eleventh House, Allan Holdsworth and all that. But when I read interviews with fusion guys, they would talk about guys like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus. This led to me getting Kind Of Blue and Ah Um and I became a jazz fan from then on.

So yes, the short version is that getting into jazz via fusion is definitely viable.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I remember an interview with Bill Connors where he said that Corea would make them all fill out a form after each concert, evaluating their performance. Bill doesn't seem the type to put up with that kind of thing, so it's no wonder he left.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

One guy that I like for big band that you don't hear a lot of is Bob Belden. He's pretty interesting - Black Dahlia is a really cool album and the rest of his stuff is repurposed pop music, but his arrangements tend to give the songs a unique twist.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also, anyone who liked Bitches Brew owes it to themselves to check out the two primary Mahavishnu Orchestra records, Birds of Fire and Inner Mounting Flame.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If you like avante-garde, you might want to also check out Dave Holland's "Conference of the Birds."

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

You can also try the "Throb" album he did with Gary Burton if you want to hear what jazz sounds like when it's overtly influenced by country and folk.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Any of Herbie Hancock's albums with The Headhunters. Also, George Duke's "Feel." Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" is pretty funky too.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Keith Jarrett is way worse, IMO.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Isn't Keith Jarrett super ocd about people not talking/clapping during his shows? That's what I've heard but I haven't seen him live myself.

Apparently so, he's also very much against electric instruments now, to the degree that he won't work with guys like Steve Swallow because of it. He makes some brilliant music, but he sounds like an incredibly awkward person to be around.

Also, despite the brilliance of his music, the whole "grunting and screeching while playing" thing really takes me out of it. I just bought Survivor's Suite recently and I found it incredibly deep - but then I hear Jarrett grunting out some notes while playing and it's like having your soda go flat in the middle of the drink.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Speaking of Grant Green, his "Live At The Lighthouse" is really good.

For Cal Tjader, I recommend "Solar Heat" and "Amazonas."

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

unclenutzzy posted:

I was going through my uncle's record collection and found Hank Crawford's Wildflower. I have been listening to it on repeat, I love how soulful it is. I've been trying to find more stuff like it, but I don't know too much about jazz. Most of the time I search for jazz I get really frantic stuff that doesn't sound to appealing to me. I guess maybe I'm looking for jazz/soul/funk stuff? Can anyone offer me some recommendations?

Maybe give these a try:

Uberjam and Piety Street, John Scofield
Live At The Lighthouse, Grant Green
Feel, by George Duke
Red Clay, Freddie Hubbard
Survival Of The Fittest, Headhunters
Rage!, Lettuce

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

What's the best place to start with George Benson, please? So far I've listened to 'The Other Side of Abbey Road' and enjoyed it.

The Shape of Things to Come is a pretty cool album.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also, if you really want to get into jazz, you absolutely need to see some good bands live. Listening to records is only going to get you so far.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Another great album by Grant Green is "His Majesty King Funk!," it even has a groovy version of "That Lucky Old Sun."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoSj2X_JGts

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So the jazz albums I used to own are long gone and I've just recently decided to fill my collection up on iTunes. For now, I'm focusing on hard bop and this is what I've either bought already or have on my wishlist:
  • John Coltrane - Blue Trane, A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things, Coltrane Plays The Blues
  • Hank Mobley - Soul Station, Workout
  • Grant Green - Live At The Lighthouse, His Majesty King Funk!
  • Sonny Clark - The Sonny Clark Trio, Cool Struttin'
  • Clifford Brown/Max Roach - Study In Brown
  • Dizzy Gillespie/Sonny Stitt/Sonny Rollins - Sonny Side Up
  • Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder, Cornbread
  • Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie
  • Clifford Jordan - Blowing In From Chicago
  • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
  • Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack
  • Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
  • Miles Davis - Working With The Miles Davis Quintet, Relaxing With..., Cooking With...
  • Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else, The Cannonball Adderly Quintet In San Francisco
  • Booker Little - Booker Little
  • Wayne Shorter - Juju, Speak No Evil
  • Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement
  • Ray Bryant - The Ray Bryant Trio
  • Barney Kessel - The Poll Winners
  • Horace Silver - Serenade To A Soul Sister
  • McCoy Tyner - Sahara

Are there any other hard bop titles that I could add? (keeping in mind that hard bop can often intermingle with other genres, like modal jazz or even fusion)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

BigFactory posted:

You've got a lot of Coltrane on there as is, but I'd put Giant Steps in over Love Supreme for what you're going for.

I've already got A Love Supreme, so I might as well add Giant Steps to the list.

SubG posted:

If you're talking specifically about hard bop I'd say Dexter Gordon's Go! and Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus are essentials. I'd also add Miles' Walkin' to your list of Miles albums---I think Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet is the better album, but Walkin' is one of the defining albums of the subgenre. I'd also add Mingus' Ah Um if you think it counts as hard bop or Blues & Roots if you think it doesn't.

I could go on with more suggestions seriously biased toward tenor players if you'd like.

I'm not sure if Ah Um is hard bop or not, but it's one of the first jazz albums I ever bought (along with Kind Of Blue), so it has a lot of sentimental value.

And yes, feel free to suggest more tenor titles!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I've had the Charlie Parker Omnibook for a while now and it's been quite handy in learning how to play over jazz chord progressions; but now I've found out that there's also a Miles Davis Omnibook, a John Coltrane Omnibook, a Joe Pass Omnibook and now a Cannonball Adderley Omnibook is on its way. I know people say you should transcribe stuff yourself and they're right - I still transcribe stuff that's of interest to me, but there's no way I still have time at my age to transcribe so many solos from these iconic jazzmen. I wonder else would be cool? Maybe a Wes Montgomery Omnibook? Dizzy Gillespie Omnibook?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So there's apparently a Miles Davis movie coming out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790770/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Apparently they have someone portraying Paul Chambers and Herbie Hancock but no Coltrane, what?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Is Anthony Jackson playing bass for her? That dude smokes.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Jazz Marimba posted:

Avishai Cohen

Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

^burtle posted:

Found a copy of Grant Green's Live at the Lighthouse and good god it owns.

His Majesty King Funk is also a really good album.

• Locked thread