Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Oscar Peterson's "We Get Request" is perfect for just starting out on jazz. I feel what a lot of people find challenging about jazz is the structure, and the harmony. This takes some old pop standards (then MODERN pop standards) and has amazing improvisation on top of it. Ray Brown ESPECIALLY shines here. I'd pair him with James Jamerson for the most soulful, funkiest, most "right" bass players, in that whatever aesthetic/musical choice they make is absolutely spot on for the tune and the arrangement.

Oliver Nelson's "Blues And The Abstract Truth" is all blues tunes, but there's something about the arrangement and playing that makes it so FRESH you don't even realize all the tunes are blues forms.

Also, anything of The Bill Evans Trio featuring Scott LaFaro. LaFaro basically changed the way jazz bass was played and it's role in a band before the age of 30, and then died before he could see his impact. I recommend Live At The Village Vanguard or Waltz For Debby.

SnakeParty: Speaking of Horace Silver, I was blown away when I found out he played piano on Miles' version of "It Never Entered My Mind". I had no idea he could play piano like THAT.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Clovis Sangrail posted:

That would be Workin' with The Miles Davis Quintet, but I was quite sure Red Garland played on those.

True, but the version I'm talking about is from his time recording for Blue Note, it's on "Miles Davis Vol 1"

• Locked thread