Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Yoshifan823 posted:

I also cook my steaks the Alton Brown way (Cast iron, 30 second sear on each side, 2 minute bake on each side, let it sit for 15 minutes and not a minute less, no seasoning other than salt and pepper).

What temps does he use for the baking? That recipe is pretty similar to what I was doing on my own, aside from the 15 minute rest. Holy poo poo, I thought the few minute rest I was giving it was unbearable sometimes. How is 15 minutes not giving you a lukewarm steak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bankok posted:

I had read that somewhere about the original Iron Chef, they were basically given a list of 3-4 possible secret ingredients and the chefs would furnish them with a list of what other ingredients they would like in the kitchen. No clue how how the American version works.

I still hate Bobby Flay for whole cutting board thing with Morimoto in the original version.

They are also give a list of possible secret ingredients.

What exactly happened with Flay and Morimoto? I've heard this mentioned before but only ever in passing. They seem like they get along pretty well?

Edit: Oh jumping on the cutting board thing and screaming raise the roof.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Words cannot express the level of annoyance that I feel with music rights issues on TV shows and rebroadcasting. It's so petty and I really wish that TV shows would make a point by just flat out refusing to pay for any music licenses until they can get reasonable deals that allow for rebroadcasting and redistribution in the video market.

"Why yes, I will sell you right to use my song for years on your television show! What? You want to put your show on DVD now? gently caress YOU. I don't want people hearing my poo poo! gently caress YOU Pay me more!"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Daria, Wonder Years, Beavis and Butthead. It also forced changes on the DVD releases of How I Met Your Mother by having songs removed. It's petty and indicative of everything wrong with the music industry.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

It's more that nobody anticipated ever using tv shows as anything other than broadcast, so the blanket broadcast licensing deals from BMI/ASCAP/whoever were thought to be all they would ever need. Now, how the people making modern shows like HIMYM hosed the dog on this, I don't know, but The Wonder Years/Daria/etc there's no way they could have known DVD would come along and create a huge market like it did.

I can understand that but my issue is that they kind of already agreed to let some company make money using their work. I don't see why there can't be a small amendment made to the deal that allows some tiny piece of additional compensation for the music, especially when in the case of something like The Wonder Years or HIMYM, they have no problems allowing rebroadcasts in syndication. The program is still making money off of the music this way! So why does it matter what format the show is distributed in? It's stupid nickel and diming from the music industry.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Good Eats being moved to the Cooking Channel was a punch in the nuts for me because my cable carrier does not have this channel available yet it seems. No Good Eats for me! :smithicide:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

raditts posted:

For the original Iron Chef maybe, being on Iron Chef America makes you more synonymous to being one of the overexposed faces on the Food Network.

I find it interesting that Alton feels that the winners of Next Iron Chef should have to requalify every year. Judging by his tweets this year, it seems that his preferred choice for winner never seems to get picked.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Anyone remember the name of the cooking show that Discovery channel showed every afternoon around 3 or 4pm? It had a southern sounding lady narrating.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sneeing Emu posted:

Was it Great Chefs? I absolutely loved that show. Just one chef, doing one dish. I'm not surprised it didn't last, but it was great while it did.

That sounds right. But I'd say that with 700 episodes, according to Wikipedia, it lasted quite long. Apparently it began life as PBS show before moving to the Discovery Channel. The production company that made it was in Louisiana, which explains the southern sounding narrator.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jamesman posted:

Agreed. Robert Irvine's version was about a very intense guy yelling at challenges to complete them. This worked if you cared about "Will they complete this challenge?" but it didn't work if you cared about people not being unpleasant.

Michael Symon's version was about a guy having some genuine fun trying to do some unique challenges. If you felt that challenges must be completed to an exceptional degree in order for the show to fulfill its premise, then this was a problem, but for those of use who didn't care (or enjoyed some genuine doubt that a challenge would be completed), it was nice to see someone enjoyable for a change.

Then Robert came back and they felt it needed to be MORE IMPOSSIBLE and they'd keep adding new missions during the middle of the challenge so that he could yell more. Now he's yelling at restaurants.

By the way, who else thinks it's hilarious that Alex Guarnaschelli is Geoffrey Zakarian's sous chef on Iron Chef? Well Alex, you didn't win Next Iron Chef (you didn't even get runner-up), but you still get to do all the work of an Iron Chef without any of the recognition!

I like how she was not subordinate to him in anyway what so ever in their first battle together. She was basically co-Iron Chef.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah the producers on Chopped clearly try to get judges to be jerks. Aaron Sanchez seems super laid back in about every other show, but usually seems uptight as a judge on Chopped. I think that basically they are all expected to behave like Alex G and Zakarian since those are the most common judges on the show.

Toffile posted:

To be fair, they chose people who really needed to play themselves up for people to know who they are and Cheech Marin.

Then again, Cheech Marin's only now relevant because he's starring as a father-in-law on the next surefire CBS sitcom hit ¡Rob! starring Rob Schneider.

Is there a ¡Rob! thread in TVIV yet?

I'm going to laugh if it gets one and Two and a Half man still doesn't.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's one thing I hate about a lot of these shows. I mean, it can't really be that common for chefs to be great at both desserts and appetizers/entrees right? I hate that all these shows force competitors to do both and would much rather have a show that separates desserts from everything else since I am not much of a dessert person and find watching people make desserts boring as hell.

To be fair, I don't have a problem with something like Iron Chef having them do dessert because that is part of a full meal plan that they are making, and they have a team to help them. And a show like Master Chef, it doesn't bother me because none of them are professional anyway and most of them do a little of everything (and they are provided with classes between episodes.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MAXIMUM SWEAT posted:

I tried to enjoy Hells Kitchen but it is just way too over the top. I imagine that Ramsay has to ratchet up his intensity a little bit for every season and by now at Season 9 or whatever its just ridiculous. Plus, these people are Chefs and Sous Chefs but they cant get one entree out in an hour? Really?

His other show Kitchen Nightmares (I think) is way better, if only to see restraunts with grody rear end kitchens and fridges and then he loses it in a much more believable way.

Hell Kitchen is a pretty bogus show, and I believe one of the finalists actually came out and said that the show purposefully makes things difficult by pulling them out of the kitchen for interviews while they are cooking and loving with the stoves so that they burn or under cook things.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I assume you can just mess up the thermostat on the oven so that it runs hotter or colder than it says. Lord knows I've had ovens that told me they were cooking at 450 but clearly weren't.

Basically this. Our last stove ran hotter than it said after while and got worse over time. So I imagine it isn't all that difficult to rig a stove to be inaccurate over night.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Red Warrior posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just mixing up some stuff they did in the first and I think second season when they did things like deliberately cut the power to the ovens or the air conditioning, to mimic things that happened to Ramsay when he was first opening his own restaurant.

The contestant that said this was in one of the last two or three seasons. I don't remember her name. Unless you mean that they are still doing this to contestants and not airing it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I mean, I wouldn't go as far to say that it is rigged in the sense that they sabotage specific players. But it seems to be that they make the show artificially more difficult to increase drama.

That being said, since the winners and losers of the show are decided by Gordon and the producers anyway, so it pretty much is the definition of a rigged show. There is no point system and no voting. Gordon and the unseen producers send who then want home when they feel like it. And when there is a point system, there is always, magically, a draw before the final point. This happens on Master Chef too.

It's gotten harder to watch as the seasons have gone on, and I might drop it just like I dropped Idol, sooner than later.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So I guess Alex G is really popular in their market research surveys or something?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ozmaugh posted:

With whom?!?!

Guy vs Rachael was hilarious tonight.

HORSERADISH?! IN A DESSERT?!!??!!?? WHAT!

I have no idea, but she must be because she is on their primetime scheduling more than most other people at this point it seems, aside from like Flay or something. She even had that commercial with Flay!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Digital Scumbag posted:

Lou Diamond Phillips reminds me of Coach Ben Wade on his first Survivor outing.

When he went on about, "Sometimes I forget I'm famous; everybody here knows me and..." Dude, you never forget you were in movies 20 years ago. You mention it every loving confessional.

"Hey I love your movies, AND you're a good chef!"

:what:

His run on I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of Here was not too unlike Coach's last run on Survivor, in terms of tone.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I have to say, I am really enjoying Worst Cooks. Bobby seems to be enjoying the absurdity of a lot his contestants.

Anyone interested in the hidden camera show coming out? I don't really know what to make of it, in terms of how eye opening it will really be, as opposed to being kind of phoney reality tv nonsense.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I watched Sweet Genius all afternoon yesterday.

I don't understand why they have him behaving that way; he's really not a jerk otherwise, but comes across that way. It's dumb as hell.

THE INSPIRATION IS...A DISCO BALL

Woa woa, he's not really that way? I couldn't watch more than a couple of episodes because I was totally put off by him. Why would they make him do that? :psyduck:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I KNEWWWWWWWW I recognized her! DAMMIT! I feel like a moron.

So I got around to watching Restaurant Stakeout and will not be watching again. Show seems way staged.

Some workers were clearly wearing wireless microphones (specifically the one that got fired, go figure) and at the end, during the big confrontation, every single call out of a wait staff member was dubbed over in post, and met with no reaction nor consequence, they also made no attempt to show the effect of the firing on the other staff members at any point.

My guess, Diane, or whatever was a plant or something, which is why she was far and away the worst, most dramatic offender, and also why she spoke 10x more than any other member of the wait staff. It is also why she was wearing a mic, and why she was fired and no one cared. I can tell she was mic'd not just because she was louder and clearer than everyone else, even those near her, like the gum chewing waitress who had to be subtitled, but because there were a few times where she was clearly peaking on her audio(speaking louder than the her mic was set to handle.) There was also very little ambient noise, which a planted mic would have picked up.

The hostesses and managers were directly confronted at that meeting, but the two wait staff members who were "caught breaking the health code" weren't confronted at all. He just mentions in an obviously dubbed line what they did, and we get really terribly selected, out of context reaction shots from them placed with the audio.

I call bullshit on this show! Bullshit!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I don't blame you, I really don't get why they're still running "new season" promos this far in. Were the numbers so bad for the last season that they're really desperate to say NEW NEW NEW or...

I feel like they do this alot now. The Stakeout promos still seem to be the same, and I remember doing the exact same thing with that one show where 2 people compete for a job at a place. They ran the promos with only clips from the first episode for weeks. I case they'd rather not pay to edit a commercial per episode.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

dms666 posted:

Still not sure why Flay didnt tell him to just fill up his pan with water while it was already in the oven, since he splashed it the first time while trying to walk it 10 ft

This was my immediate question when watching that whole thing.

On Chopped. I feel that, from now on, they should make each of the judges prepare a dish using the same ingredients, off camera, before the taping. I'm starting to really hate watching the show because the judges are basically being assholes to make the show more difficult than it already is

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

This is bullshit. Half of these people are just cast members from Next Food Network Star. No one gives a poo poo about seeing them cook.

I was thinking the same thing. With the exception of Frankenstein from FN Challenge, group 2 and 3 are mostly nobodies. They should have gotten Sweet Genius in there!

I cannot WAIT to see Chris Santos on this show. He better be goddamned PERFECT for how much he bitches out contestants on everything. It sucks that Scott wasn't right there with him. I hate that they brought Alex back, but not Ann. I guess they might have filmed it while other stuff was filming. I would also like to see Alton do this show, but I don't think he would bother putting himself under that kind of pressure.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I usually just go for mustard, but sometimes I put ketchup and mustard together. Usually if I am having fries anyway. I've also tried stuffing the dog with some fries too, which was nice I guess. I was at home though so I didn't worry about feeling ashamed.

I guess Alex G was just a judge on Season 1 of All Stars, I don't know why I thought Next Iron Chef was the second time I saw her competing.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Watching Alton Brown implode on Twitter is always so, so loving funny.

edit: I should make it clear that he has not imploded today, it was just a comment on the post quoted above, sorry. :)

Which account did he blow up on? Was it Angry Bobby Flay? Because Angry Bobby Flay changed his name (To Angry BFlay (Parody) or something) and it suddenly said I wasn't following him anymore. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Amanda Freitag was on ICA last week and there was a shot of her taking a swig from a vodka bottle as she walked it to the chiller. This marks the second episode of a show in which a FN personality either associated with Chopped, or actually competing ON Chopped has taken a direct swig from a bottle they are using to cook.

I only bring this up because I feel like at least two different Chopped judges of completely brought the hammer down on contestants for doing that. I think Santos made the biggest deal about it though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I will defend Spam until the end of time dammit. I find that most people who hate it have never really eaten it. Or had it maybe once or something.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I guess none of us are surprised that Bourdain will not be sticking with Scripps once his contract is up? Given how much he used to bad mouth FN before the merger, I find it funny that within a year or so he is jumping ship to CNN, to basically do the same show he's been doing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I think Giada wants a little Ippy in her. And I thoguht it was strange that it was never mentioned that the lesbian-looking chef that was freaked out about Giada was previously a Chopped contestant.

I guess that is why she seemed so familiar?

I also loved that the precommercial tease made it look like she was getting freaked out by Alex Guarnascheli instead of being flustered by Giada.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Christopher Irvine posted:

Michael Symon's laugh is one of the most infectious and wonderful sounds on television. It's almost enough to make me not notice that he starts nearly every dish description on ICA with "Okayyouguys".

I've just been Fed Ex arrowed! I hope I forget this before the next episode of ICA he's in.

So, judging by this thread, I am glad I have skipped Mystery Diners, since it seems to be the exact same show I was ranting about earlier in the thread under a different name.

This is the first season of NFNS I have been able to sit through, but I agree the format has nothing to do with the prize at all, and the judging of the contestants tends to be inconsistent and picky. They got rid of the chunky bow tie dude because he seemed to fake, but his on camera persona wasn't any faker or showy than a bunch of other people they have had on the network before. I dunno.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 21, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Does Guy Fieri even give a poo poo about Italian food?? Because that is probably the most damning of them all.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I don't know what his actual credentials are, though I think he was a military cook or something and he HAS at least attempted to open restaurants. I remember that, when the scandal broke, he had a restaurant that he was trying to get going- possibly in Florida- and the way in which he had stalled was kind of strange, too.

But anyway, yeah, he dodged the whole thing and just came back like nothing happened. I don't quite understand why his personality is so magnetic as to overcome something like that--- they can find other guys who could probably do his thing just as well and don't have to fake their resume just to get there.

"It's not what you know, but rather, who you know." He knows the right people.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ivan's the only one who has a series that could work long term because it is so damned generic. Honestly, I don't see any of these people being break out stars if they are stuck with their own initial offerings. Justin might maybe be able to break out, maybe if he won Chopped or something. Michelle could also work outside of the confines of her own POV, but honestly, how would she be any different than just about anyone else already employed by them if you did that?

Justin is basically the only interesting personality left, whether his food looks gross sometimes or not.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Christopher Irvine posted:

I'm telling you, he comes off as too creepy to possibly get voted in by Food Network Star viewers. They've put him over very well over the course of the show but his camera presence is very unappealing, and not in a quirky neo-Alton Brown way, but in a "gonna cook your babies" way.

I don't necessarily disagree, but that kind of is the nature of the beast. He might seem creepy on camera, but the only alternatives are going to disappear within a year of being on the air, not because they are horrible, but because they bring nothing new to the table what so ever.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

smg77 posted:

Why is he wearing lipstick?

That's not even the reddest they have looked on the show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I find it very easy to get upset at the judging in Chopped, but I have started to try to give it the benefit of the doubt and just assume that the show is edited in such a way that the judgments seem more negative than they actually are sometimes. I've sure they spend plenty of time praising each dish, usually. Though I am sure some dishes and some judge tantrums are pretty much as is (like the dude who doesn't like raw onions near his plate.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I don't think I will be watching any other Food Truck Races after this is over. This is my first full season watching and the show just seems bland, even with the exaggerated drama.

I think it is BS that that one truck was charged for that lamp post. That think could have smashed her, and obviously wasn't installed properly. If a slowly opening door was enough to knock it clean ( and I mean clean, look at how smooth the cut is where it "broke") of it's base, then anyone leaning on that think or a strong wind might have as well. It didn't bend, and slowly crack, it just clean popped right off. I actually had to pause and rewind when they first teased it because I wasn't even sure the thing had wires on it, given how easily it fell over. Of course it ended up needing to have wires cut and crap, but still.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Timby posted:

It's hard for me to articulate how uncomfortable the whole thing made me. "If you act like a complete jackass to everyone around you, we'll give you a hundred bucks" skeezes me out on a whole new level.

So it's like a weird reversed version of MTV's Boiling Point? That sound awful, but not just awful, nearly impossible to pull of legitimately without, you know... consequences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm Captain Morgan and I approve of this message.

• Locked thread