Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I'm glad zari-gani posted her review, because I'm guessing the movie (for what it is), is probably still pretty good. Although I agree that it's disappointing that they re-used so much TV footage for a feature film, I believe that the Mighty Bomb Jack saga was the most epic the show has ever done, and I would love to see how it ties into the rest of the movie. I remember when watching the live challenge yelling under my breath "Are you crazy? SAVE!". Here's hoping the movie gets an official English translation sometime this year :)

Side note, I'm a long-time lurker that signed up to this message board just for this thread. Thanks for all the amazing content SAGCCX team, I really appreciate all of the hard work you put into this show. Keep up the good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Xik posted:

It looks like a poo poo game and I will literally never be bored enough to want to play it.
I didn't give it a chance as a kid because of how silly the box art looked to me, but it is definitely pretty fun, and it's also just as difficult as it looks. Plus, the US version of the game does not have the option to hoard 1-ups since that 1-up token is removed.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Kan, Abe, and Inoko MAX break down your door, kidnap you, and throw you into a conference room where you're not allowed to leave until you beat the game they give you. What game do you dread having to challenge?
Getting the good ending to Low G Man for the NES.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NGd1e_Jxyw

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

This game is really for the fans. I'm only up to the third (main) game, but I've run into Inoue, Watanabe, Urakawa, Toujima, Akane Itou, Nakayama, Junpei Takahashi, Sasano, Kibe, Sakai, Fujimoto, Abe and Kan.There's a ton of recorded voices too (Watanabe's laugh is my favorite), and the famous quotes list is great.

That aside, the actual games are good too, and the coin and token games are nice mini games too. There's a lot of content to enjoy.
If only there was a way to play this game on my US 3DS. It sounds like a great game for us GCCX fans.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

King Vidiot posted:

Was Metal Slug ever that common in the States? I mean, maybe I just grew up with some crappy arcades but I'd never heard of Metal Slug at all until I started playing around with MAME years after-the-fact. It seemed like by the time Metal Slug came out in the mid-late 90's all the arcades I used to go to had stuff like Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, etc. If there was ever an SNK game it would be King of Fighters maybe, or Final Fight.
Metal Slug itself wasn't too common, but the Neo Geo Multi-Select arcade cabinets were probably just as common in the States. I think almost every arcade had one of these with at least 2 games for it, but I can't honestly remember a specific game that I would always see in one of them. It was the beauty of the MVS system, you could easily have whatever game you wanted, so you would almost always see something different in one of them... at least that was the case for the arcades I went to.
I will always remember hearing the sound of a golf swing from Top Players Golf during attract mode, while playing some other arcade game at a bowling alley I used to go to. I remember that arcade had Top Players Golf, League Bowling, NAM 1975, and one of the fighting games. Another arcade I went to had Puzzle Bobble, and Samurai Showdown.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 24, 2014

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Random question
At the start of Season 2, they removed the brackets from CX, and talked about it at the beginning of the show saying that they were "renewed", but I still don't exactly get why it was significant. Is there a better explanation as to why the brackets were removed after season 1?

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

gunstarheroes posted:

That's a real bummer to hear, it was the main reason i was considering getting a japanese 3DS. Sounds like i'll just hold off.
Same. I was actually considering importing both myself. It's too bad because I don't think a game to date has done a good job re-creating video game's history. Which is also too bad, because it has an AMAZING history to tell.

Imagine a similar format, where you take your character to a candy store where you play GCCX Space Invaders in 1980, and it looks and feels like 1980. When you walk home to tell all your friends, you travel in time two years to 1982. When you get home, you are greeted with an Atari type clone, and play an Atari type game. After that you jump back and forth between your house, and arcades, traveling in time, watching the history of video games through both the games, and the environment that your character experiences. You play games up until the 64bit era or even later, and see the significant changes that took place with every new generation of systems/games, and maybe you even see commercials to advertise the new systems and all of the changes. At the same time, some weird story is tied in where you're trying to play and beat these games to prevent another video game crash from happening or something silly like that. Maybe the final boss is Kan, or some other show character.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 25, 2014

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

gunstarheroes posted:

So do we have any idea how well the movie is doing? I checked boxofficemojo and there was no numbers for it.
Not sure, but didn't they say that if the movie sold enough tickets that they would go to Las Vegas US?

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

univbee posted:

I don't really have anything to add after that picture. I mean, look at it. Zari-gani did that, and the translation, Random Stranger timed, Hirayuki proofread, and I just kept slapping the keyboard until video happened.

Episode 145 - Famicom Detective Club (Mega - 355 megs)
That was a pretty quick turnaround for what is probably a pretty text heavy episode (I haven't seen it yet). Good work team, and thanks as always!

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

Season 18 information!

General stuff
I've been re-watching this series again, and I kind of like how they used to make the challenges a bigger deal like in Season 4 when Arino lost 3 games in a row, and if he didn't win the next one, he would be demoted. I kind of miss that little element of the show where they made it seem like a bigger deal if he wasn't beating games. I know that it would be pretty difficult now that everyone just refers to him as Kacho, but it would be pretty interesting if they brought that element back into the show.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Rocky Rodent looked pretty interesting, seemed like the bastard child of Mario and Sonic. Is the hairspray really just a crappier version of the clipper? Seems like the only downside to the clipper was you could get one shot if you got hit after throwing your hair.

The Tamage segment was pretty good, I about lost my poo poo when Arino played Metal Slug with the old lady.
Do you think that the Tamage corner is as charming in Japan? Part of the reason why I like the segment so much is because of the taste of Japanese culture, but that doesn't really have the same effect if you experience the culture every day.

Random Stranger posted:

I don't recall any touch screen features in the game.
You should be able to get through all of the games without needing to touch the screen. A few of the magazines and manuals have scratch off portions where you'll need a stylus to reveal secrets to games, but it's not needed to advance any stories. Also, the buttons for reset and going to bottom screen need a stylus. The first game had a button combo to get to the bottom screen and reset, but this one doesn't appear to have that option.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 21, 2014

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Please tell me all he does is throw fireballs.
"Yoga Fire!...Yoga Fire!...I managed to win with just projectiles"

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It's pretty great. I managed to stumble through it without knowing any Japanese, but it will be nice to replay it and actually understand what's going on. I had to skip the adventure game and the RPG so I'm looking forward to those ones the most.
Same here, at least I beat all of the challenges. I tried to be Guadia Quest Saga, probably got about 3/4 in but it got to be too difficult since I couldn't figure out how to skillfully use the Guadias. I am very excited to replay it in English.

Kakaricho posted:

Seems to be pretty much exactly that. When they introduced the machine in episode 177 they did point out the games, controller and zapper were the same as the NES, not the Famicom, but didn't explain why. Maybe to speed up production and make them more interchangeable?
Sometime's the lack of a good explanation is what bugs me about GCCX. They have a lot of chances to give a proper explanation on history, and other things about the systems/games they are showcasing, but usually just give a quick line or two about it.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 12, 2014

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

DVD and Blu-Ray of the movie will be released on September 2nd.

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140523_649703.html
Keeping my fingers crossed for some English subtitles :)

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know why all of you people didn't just play through the game when it was released in Japan like all us cool guys did. :c00lbert:
I'm one of the cool guys! But I never got around to completing Guadia Quest Saga or the mystery text adventure games. I got pretty far in GQS, but since I didn't know how to properly use the Guadia's, the last parts of the game turned out to be a large chore, and the game became a lot less fun. And there is no way I could actually beat the text adventures.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I'm just going back and rewatching the series again (halfway through season 9), and I would like to say that Season 9 is probably one of my favorites upon re-watching so far. The first interactions with Nakayama are really good.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

thetrout posted:

Is there a QR code of Arino's "official" Mii floating around anywhere?
Anyone? I would love to have Arino's official Mii on my 3DS.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Obeast posted:

Mighty Bomb Jack and that legendary challenge. Now, I kinda know how Arino felt when contemplating whether to warp or save. :ohdear:
Still my favorite saga of the show mostly in part of this feature.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
In agreement with everyone about the Budoken episode. Also in agreement about Matsui being awesome. He has turned out to be my favorite AD.

Broseph Brostar posted:

How did I already know they were going to be normal sized people before I clicked the link? Oh Japan... :japan:
Thinking the same thing. I can't believe it's 2014 and it's still like this. VV And yep, Japan isn't the only one guilty of this :)

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 10, 2014

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

zari-gani posted:

A game-inspired indie hip hop artist just released an album inspired by GCCX. Free to download.

http://www.2mello.com/

From the guy who brought you Chrono Jigga and Nastlevania!

ETA: He plugs SA-GCCX.com at the end of the first track.
Thanks for the link. It's a pretty good mix set of music.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

zari-gani posted:

A game-inspired indie hip hop artist just released an album inspired by GCCX. Free to download.

http://www.2mello.com/

From the guy who brought you Chrono Jigga and Nastlevania!

ETA: He plugs SA-GCCX.com at the end of the first track.
Thanks for the link. It's a pretty good mix of music.

univbee posted:

Hey, who clogged the release pipe?

-SHLOOP-

Ah, there we go.
And thanks for this!

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Speaking of translation things. Just a few random questions/comments.
1) For all the people saying "why not just say famicombox?". Just remember that a LOT of people probably still don't know that famicom=NES, and this may be the first time ever hearing about it, so offering up the NA equivalent is beneficial. I love when you guys offer up both the NA and JP names, like "NA: NES Box, JP: Famicom Box", or "NES Box (Famicom Box)", or something similar. It provides the best of both worlds.
2) Abunai (sp?) is usually translated as "watch out", or similar. Is that supposed to be Arino yelling at the game character to watch out? I always just assumed he was shouting it out to himself, but it makes it even more awesome if he's supposed to be yelling it at the game character.
3) I've been re-watching the series again, and noticed that you generally have an inconsistency for Tanizawa's name. I see it as Tanii, and Tani, but in your Lemming's 24 Hour Compilation video, the show spelled his name in English as Tanny.

These are by no means critiques BTW, and I love your methods for translating.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 5, 2014

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

univbee posted:

IIRC the only complete TV Nihon episode we re-did was the Ghosts 'n Goblins episode, mainly because they seriously mistranslated an interview in it. Apparently TV-Nihon was really pissed about this and will pretty much ban anyone from SA from their forums or whatever.

We also did complete versions of...2 or 3 episodes from that first season when the challenge was only a segment and not the main part of the episode.
That's a bummer, because I would love to see some of the interviews/segments that TV-Nihon left out. It would also be nice if the show brought back "Meet This Person" type segments. They wouldn't even have to be professionals, they could be like that one where they went to the guys house who had the biggest collection of Famicom games.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Genius idea. That's the one thing I wish I could do for myself, but I just don't have the time to do something like that anymore.

Are you going to play the role of Abe? The only piece that's missing that I can think of would be to have audio tracks that play during gameplay. "Go Under", laughter, applause, sighs, and other reaction audio that you would play at the right time.

AladdinSane posted:

Most of the arcades have closed around here, the only one that we could get to and back in a reasonable amount of time is located at one of the busiest malls in the country, so it would be a big hassle. Time to lament the death of the local arcade some more...
Mall of America?

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 15, 2014

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

AladdinSane posted:

Indeed. I'll probably being doing the roles of Kibe, Abe and Suda all in one. I think having the AD's over will provide some natural reactions, but maybe I could pull some clips of Arino for extra support!

Thanks everyone for all the ideas!
http://www.burnsvillecenter.com/, great arcade in their lower level in case it's close to where you are.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Older episodes are being worked on. They will come. There's one that's being worked on that I've been looking forward to for a while but because the segments are incredible.
Fingers crossed for Koushien Baseball. I watched the raw, and it's hilarious knowing little to no Japanese. I would imagine it would be even better if I understood the dialogue :)

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
For anyone that hasn't, I would strongly recommend getting the newly translated Retro Game Challenge 2 and play through the Adventure Game. It is a complete fan tribute, and they do a pretty good job fictionalizing some of the characters real life into the game. Like Tojima who's in the US training, or Kan who's never around. Even the main plot of the story where Kibe, the culprit in the story, takes over the Love & Game organization to bring down the Gamecon (famicom). He's mad because his father owned the factory that produced the rival console (nod to his loving the Sega Master System), and that was bought out by Game Center CX Industries, who specialize in the Gamecon.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Awesome shirt. My 9 year old daughter would love that pencil case since she is super into buying pencils and erasers all the time. She also started watching the show last week when I'm watching it.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Rockstars... all of you. Patiently awaits the next deluge :)

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I have to agree with some in that watching him play DKC2 was not that entertaining, and think it's too bad that this one had to be a three parter.

I played 1 and 2 a lot when they first came out, and thought they were pretty fun and definitely revolutionary at the time. Going back now and playing them I can say that the game is pretty average gameplay wise... not bad, but not amazing either. I think one things that keeps the DKC games exciting are the levels where you are in a mine cart, or are shooting out rotating barrels. I think those sections are still fun, and can keep me interested.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

zari-gani posted:

I'll post pics on my Twitter later but man. Meeting Arino at TGS was cool, but few people can say they rode a roller coaster with Producer Kan.
Well deserved for you in helping to bring this goodness to us non-japanese speakers. (Kudo's to the whole team of course that all deserve this treatment).

Kakaricho posted:

I think what we're all wondering is...did you sit in the chair?
Agreed. And did you sneak in a game of Piccadilly Circus while you were in there :)

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 29, 2014

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Obeast posted:

I forgot to post this earlier, but this happened a few days ago.
I know it's not super important (and I know I could change my birthday to be the current day to get a shitload of DC points everyday), but I thought the new voice clip and point bonus were a nice birthday gift from virtual evil king Arino. Plus, the challenge for that day was for a game I'm actually pretty good at, so that was a nice little addition. :)

Also, I'm totally proud of not getting any of the bronze/give up stickers. :smug:
I had great intentions to play the daily challenges and unlocking all bonuses, but without cheating, it's not worth it. After you get to the third cycle of the 45 challenges, a lot of them start end up taking 10-20 minutes to beat. Although the game are fun, they're not fun enough to dedicate that much time a week to them.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

TheMcD posted:

Oh god, those puns hurt. I think I wanted to slap myself once I heard the Kubrick one, because that was just incredibly ugly.
Those puns were amazing. I watched the RAW of this a few weeks ago and thought it looked like a fun episode, it's even better now knowing what they're talking about. Not an amazing episode in my opinion because of the lack of variety, but still worth watching for sure.

That game looks like a fun party game (at least in small doses), too bad it hasn't been translated from what I can tell.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 30, 2014

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

As posted a few days ago, it's been translated a few times. Easiest to get your hands on would probably be the version in the Sega Classics Collection for the PS2.

As for it's party game nature, they did do a Tant-R tournament with the staff for the DVD version...

True, but I was hoping to play it on my everdrive :)

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
The Nosferatu episodes were excellent. Probably the best I can remember in a while. I always love when Arino tells stories about the bad guys like in the "Ghost Theater".

I also have to agree that the Binary Land special is great interaction, as well as the bomberman special.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I just recently went through all of the SG-1000 games to categorize them as "good", or "Not so good". I can agree that most of them are not great or even good. Most of the ones that went to the "good" folder, were added with the qualifier of "this was probably good for the time, and probably good as a SG-1000 game". Keep in mind that I am a retro nerd and still think many of the old NES games are great games, so I'm trying to be open minded with the "dated" factor.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

First Atari challenge in general! Crystal Castles!
That gets my vote.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know if that's brilliant or horrifying.
My vote is brilliant. Now I just need to get this going on my Powerpak somehow...

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 16, 2014

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Speaking of text overlays, I just watched the Earthbound Wii U episode, and you guys did great on the overlays for that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

Right after it was suggested, Kan said he confirmed that during his several trips to Hawaii last year that all the retro game places had closed down, so it was no dice. My money is on China or Vegas.
Minnesota and the MOA. We have a surprising amount of retro game stores and arcades.