Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

If there's one piece of retrogaming swag I do not want it's the Famicom Disk System. Those things are more trouble than they're worth and (spoilers for a season 16 episode) even the Game Center CX one broke down bringing a challenge to a screeching halt. Even Suda couldn't fix it. For those curious it was in the middle of Famicom Detective Club and they had to finish the challenge on the Wii virtual console.

To be honest repairing a FDS isn't that hard so long as you know what you're doing. I brought a twin famicom from death back to perfect working order after a few weekends of playing with it. Most often the problem with FDS is the belt melting which can be replaced but then you have to realign the spindle which takes a little bit of fuckary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

victrix posted:

This is a bit off topic, but since I know we have a few jp-dwellers here - Is there any chance of picking up the 25th anniversary FF ultimania books for anything approaching a reasonable price over there?

Looking around online, it's already pretty darn expensive, and it hasn't been that long since they came out.

I saw a set on Rakuten the other day but no, it's expensive nevermind the EMS pricing
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/surugaya-a-too/item/9421077-1/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_02_en

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

victrix posted:

Oops, should have been more clear - I meant the final fantasy ultimania books. They did three of them, covering all the games, with a ton of artwork. Unfortunately it looks like they're only available on ebay here for crazy prices.

I'll poke around in some more FF centric threads, maybe someone there knows, thanks!

If you know the katakana you can most likely find it on rakuten.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/search...B8%E3%83%BC25th
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/surugaya-a-too/item/9380606-1/
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/surugaya-a-too/item/9380607-1/

Looks like surugaya has volumes 1 & 2, they would ship via EMS. To get volume 3 though you will have to go through a shipping service which Rakuten typically uses Tenso for. You could also save the first link (search for ultimania 25th) and hope to find all 3 in stock at the same time. Hope this helps. Just realize shipping will likely be anywhere up to $50-60 due to weight.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/nk-book/item/book-1-9784757537712/

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

There was a prolonged period in the 90s where marketing people thought kids liked farts and boogers more than anything else.

It was terrible.

I don't know what you're talking about the 90s was a safe-haven of classic no-toilet humor quality!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCpgaFuSSyE

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Take that back and commit seppuku

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You can only prepare for so much, they had a fds burn out the belt while shooting

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Obeast posted:

That video was nothing short of amazing. :)

Also, after that segment aired, Nakayama and Toujima are now required by law to never come within 100 feet of a dinosaur school or museum with dinosaur fossils. :v:

What? What is the reasoning behind this?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

xamphear posted:

1. Did you watch the video yet?
2. Do you consider yourself the kind of person who "gets jokes"?

I watched it but I'm working so I wasn't focused on it intently. Guess I'll watch it after work.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Rewatched the vid, saw the joke this time with bubble bobble and laughed pretty good.

So is there a link to previous april fools clips? Is this one of them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXguekkfHqc

Also it appears that someone started uploading gccx on youtube again, there's a ton of them on there now.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
That.... that is definitely something I never want to see ever.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm going to assume the Gimmick! episode is hilarious in that Arino will be awful at it. I tried playing that game last weekend and it's definitely not the easiest platformer ever. Hell, I couldn't even finish the first level

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The ending to Gimmick! was exactly as I had envisioned. Great times.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Pertaining to Takashi's Challenge - it appears that a TAS was posted of the game. It's by far a more interesting way to complete the game that's for sure. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20542857

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Davzz posted:

I can't remember any other specific "I don't like this challenges though" because I tend not to remember them specifically if they fall under said category.

I recently watched Battle Golfer Yui and that was probably my least favorite episode.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

NBHS posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing him take on HarmoKnight as a Nintendo special. I just plowed through that today and spent most of the time thinking:

1. Dude, Arino would love this.
2. Dude, Arino would totally screw that part up.

And if he finishes it too quickly, they can make him add on the bonus world. Baroque Trial continues to kick my rear end and has been for the majority of the day.

I want to see him play mazin saga on genesis. I think that would make for an amazing episode.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

versus posted:

I nearly fell asleep watching the first half of Go By Train! and hated it, but then I watched the second half the next day and that was just :allears:.

Quiz game episodes are always good.

How could you hate an episode that spawned the most amazing video ever

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

NBHS posted:

As gaming can be a strongly personal hobby, so too are personal preferences for favorite episodes. As strongly as you argue for Quiz My Angel and the like, I argue for Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Mega Man 3, and Wrecking Crew.

It's a testament to the diversity of the series (even stretching into some RPG territory with the latest Nintendo specials) that there's such a wide span of games to choose from. Somewhere in there, you're going to find the games you struggled with yourself as a kid, and share in Arino's triumph.

(Wow. That sounded cheesy as all hell. Obviously, I need another drink.)

I had been avoiding battletoads forever because I figured it'd be like SMW/Yoshi's Island and I found most the 2 parters I watched to be boring. Due to that survey I decided to check it out and holy poo poo it was probably one of hhe ones I've laughed the most at. I think my favorite still is Golgo 13 or Densha De Go.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Obscure mega drive game?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYdnP10TIj8

I can only hope :pray:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Edit: nm

flyboi fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 16, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Please be mazin saga

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zari-gani posted:

They're selling leftover Budokan merchandise on Rakuten!

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/stylejam/c/0000000119/

You can use a proxy service like Tenso to grab what you want. They usually never make this stuff available online, so act fast.

Just a warning, due to changes this year in how Japan handles online transactions if you use Tenso they will likely deny you and require a money order to be sent. I haven't been able to use Tenso through Rakuten since April.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

bdr9 posted:

Aww, I was really thinking about getting the T-shirt. Does anyone know of any other package forwarding services that might work?

None of them will, they will all require this. It technically will work you just won't get your stuff as instant as you could previously.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yay the new site is live and a new release today is awesome :3:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

epmode posted:

I love you guys so much. Depending on how the episode goes, I might just pick up the game as well.

Game is great but it wears fast. I ended up playing the games I liked and enjoyed it. The Zelda stages are awesome though. Definitely got $15 worth out of it but I'm happy never touching it anymore with the walls I ran into

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The NES Remix episode was cute :3: thanks for getting it out so quick

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

I pulled a lot of our masters from Share which, like anything computer software related that comes out of Japan, is janky as hell.

I used to be heavily vested in Dricas back in the dreamcast days trying to toy with PSO and Jesus Christ can they make horrible software.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It's cool to finally see Derby Stallion being played in a way I can understand what's going on :allears:

It's the one series I've always wished had some sort of translation so I could try it myself alas, JP only.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Xik posted:

You're welcome, glad to help in any way I can. The site is so loving good, especially the ability to filter episodes. System -> SNES = :love: It even has quality game screenshots so I can be even more superficial about my random episode watching.

:neckbeard: I'm glad someone noticed the search filters! When the site was first up I suggested to him he rework them to use any and all the tags he had. In the softl-aunch you could only filter by season

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
On the topic of favorite GCCX moments while not directly GCCX this is my favorite thing to have ever come out of the show

The actual clip is pretty hilarious too and probably one of my favorites. I also liked the continue check process with Nakayama but I forget the episode that was in.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just a heads up but the server sa-gccx.com is on is going down for a few minutes for a quick reboot for updates and the sort. Please do not flip out.

Edit: all done!

flyboi fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 30, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Xik posted:

So amazing.

What occasion was the Mighty Bomb Jack one made for? I remember it being posted about at the time, but other than that I can't remember much about it.

I believe that's for the movie

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
B-b-b-but my codecs :qq:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

While we wait for technical issues to clear up, I pose this question to you:

Kan, Abe, and Inoko MAX break down your door, kidnap you, and throw you into a conference room where you're not allowed to leave until you beat the game they give you. What game do you dread having to challenge?

Time Lord or Silver Surfer on NES or really anything LJN.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Hokuto posted:

In a word, yes. If an arcade has a Neo Geo machine, chances are it has some version of Metal Slug and Magical Drop (plus two or four other random games), and Neo Geos are pretty prominent in little corner arcades.

The most common games for Neo Geo in the states in no order are Puzzle Bobble, Magician Lord and Nam-1975. Metal Slug was in a lot of places but most every Neo Geo cab I remember growing up had Puzzle Bobble more than Metal Slug.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

I don't really have anything to add after that picture. I mean, look at it. Zari-gani did that, and the translation, Random Stranger timed, Hirayuki proofread, and I just kept slapping the keyboard until video happened.

Episode 145 - Famicom Detective Club (Mega - 355 megs)

Oh man I've played the translated part 2 on SFC but never had the drive to finish it. Can't wait to watch the first one! Thanks guys!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Caitlin posted:

That's a monetary solution but a terrible one if you're actually into playing games because the machines end up in disrepair extremely quickly and the clientele tends to start to suck once they get good and drunk. At least it's been true of every barcade I've been to - beware the pinball tables. They're extremely delicate machines and drunk people just love to beat on them. Bleh.

I'm guessing the barcade in Lakeview? I went to 3 of them in Chicago and yeah, the games were badly maintained. Not only that none of them have Neo Geo!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Caitlin posted:

There's more than one barcade in Chicago and they're all kind of terrible (in my opinion) for one reason or another. Your options, however, include Emporium Barcade (overpriced, mediocre selection, I heard they expanded and got better but TOKENS FOR GAMES WHILE I'M DRUNK?), Headquarters Beercade (bigger but more crowded, at least the games are on free play but last time I was there half the pins were busted and you had to try to snake them from people, expensive drinks) and the new one, Logan Hardware (can't speak for them since I haven't been there yet but my outlook is not good).

I'd really rather just drive out to Brookfield and hang out at Galloping Ghost. If I want a drink I can walk half a block to Brixie's down the street, who has cheap drinks and a decent selection and just come back to GGA.

Yeah they're all pretty awful but unfortunately when I am in town for work I lack a vehicle so going to Galloping Ghost is pretty much impossible. Agreed regarding Emporium and Headquarters. When did Logan Hardware become a beercade? When I lived in Lakeview I used to go there to play games but it was a record store. It'll be sad if the games get the barcade treatment because the games were well maintained back then.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kakaricho posted:

Or one where he gives up.

If he can beat the NES titles he should have no issue with X. It's the only MM I can beat personally

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

joek0 posted:

I can't wait to play an English translated version of RGC2. I played the hell out of my import copy. I even made an FAQ for Wizman and the Daily Challenges on GameFaqs.com . For someone who can't read Japanese, I still really enjoyed the game. Gaudia Quest Saga is fine for non Japanese speakers to play, but the Detective adventure game sucks for the non Japanese. Thankfully, there is a guide on GameFaqs. Too bad I don't have the 3rd game to compare it to.

I'm not very good with roms and emulators. Could I use the translation patch on my import copy so I could play with my save intact? If no, how would I play on my 2DS system?

You would need a flash cart like the Supercard DS Two which works on 3DS/2DS. Along with that you will need to use something to dump the save from your cart which can only be done on the older DS "phat" or lite or with the Action Replay cart. Once you dump the save you can then use it on the translated rom from a flash cart to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I don't even know how you'd buy a translation from a development as long and confusing as muddled as the GCCX2 translation without causing some kind of legal fuckup.

Considering they used assets from xSeed's translation of the first I'd assume it'd be a legal nightmare