Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
IMDb-Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692486/

Director: Roman Polanski
Starring: Christoph Waltz, Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster and John C. Reilley
European title: The God of Carnage

I was blown away by this movie. I went in knowing very little about it, just the basic premise and the names of the four actors and the director. I was a little underwhelmed by Polanski's last movie, and so I was a little worried about this one since I couldn't quite believe a chamber play about four New Yorkers being increasingly unfriendly to each other over the course of an evening could be all that captivating.

I was wrong. First of all, the four actors are brilliant. Each character is clearly defined and amazingly portrayed. I had a hard time figuring out which one was my favorite, and I still cannot decide. While Winslet and Reilly do great jobs with their characters, Foster's and Waltz' characters are a lot more thankful and have a lot more to work with. But they still all only work by being able to play off of each other. Each one is relatable and has believable quirks and mannerism, and I found myself being torn between liking them all and thinking all of them were utter pricks.

The costumes are great, as well. One of the first things I noticed was how each pair had it's own color scheme, cold dark blue and warm earthly umber respectively, and as the movie went on I was fascinated with how fitting it all was.

The writing and pacing was so well done. It was the most tense I ever felt while watching two people trying to get out of another pair's flat and failing to do so due to social conventions, and it never once felt unrealistic or fake.

Lastly, I was surprised at how much the movie had me laughing. Sometimes it was a good, honest laugh because the events on the screen were genuinely funny. And sometimes it was an uncomfortable laugh, because the events seemed to be absurd, depressing and oddly familiar at the same time.

I give this movie a full 5/5. I'm a fan of Polanski, and I'd consider this my favorite movie of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU